Website comments

Home Forums General Website comments

This topic contains 946 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 947 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

You can now embed images in posts

Dear all, I finally got around to looking at this and I think I’ve cracked it. Only took me about 2 hours… You can now display images in your posts by linking to them.

Basically if you view your post in “Text” mode, not “Visual” mode, you can now click the “img” button. You’ll be asked for the image link (it has to be already on the web) and then a description, which can be whatever you want.

Once you post, hey presto, your image should appear. If not, or if sort of but there are issues, let me know.

testcraig @testcraig

Just an example using my test account which has the same permissions as the rest of you. Look, a lovely picture πŸ˜€

Matt Smith

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

The Doctor and Clara in silhouette

The Doctor and Clara – an image I think may have more significance by the end of S7

Anonymous @

Excellent. Well done, @craig….

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Thanks for the lovely new function @craig !

I am rubbish tho’ – my attempt to use it to post dalek cup-cakes on the sofa failed miserably?

No conquering of the universe for me just yet I guess…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@juniperfish You ARE rubbish πŸ˜€ . Just checked your code and you used the link to the whole web page:

http://forlorn-faerie.deviantart.com/art/Dalek-Cupcakes-205171107

You have to use the link to the single image that is on the page. If you right-click on the particular image and view image info you will see that the image link is:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/106/f/4/dalek_cupcakes_by_forlorn_faerie-d3e5j1f.jpg

Try using that.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@craig – yay – success! Thanks!

OK so I am a teensy bit technically challenged…

I do give good bonkers theory tho’ πŸ™‚

Would you mind deleting my earlier failed attempt post from the sofa? Thanking you kindly.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@juniperfish Done. You’re one of those people who keep hitting submit until something happens, aren’t you? πŸ˜€

Posting images is a wee bit technical, but the best I can do at the mo as it’s not a built-in feature.

Basically every image on a web page has it’s own address. Your avatar on this page has a different address from my avatar on this page, for example.

There’s often between 10 and 200 images on a web page. So you need to right-click on the image you want to get its individual address.

But yeah, I may know how websites work, but you have a PhD in bonkers theories and I’m still in primary school, or even just taking baby steps. πŸ˜€

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@craigΒ  – Ah I see! Thanks for the tutorial.

This very website could actually award PhDs in bonkers theorising πŸ™‚

I’m pretty sure that’s actually where the Doctor gets hisΒ own “Dr” title from…

Anonymous @

Just putting this out there, but what about running a weekly (or semi-regular) poll on the site on various Who-related topics?

Whisht @whisht

hey @jimthefish – is that a poll in itself?

are there multiple answers…?

;Β¬)

Anonymous @

@whisht

Definitely.

Yes.

No.

Meh.

Whisht @whisht

ah, good.

My votes for 4.

or 2.
    3 in a tie-break.

Polls don’t work like this do they?
    I’m being silly aren’t I?

a) Yes
    b) No
    c) shut up Whisht

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Dear all,

We’re on a new server!

I moved the forum to a new server today so hopefully the issues we’ve been having should now be over, and if anyone was accidentally blocked they will now be unblocked. I hope it will be a lot faster as well. It’s the same hosting company @bluesqueakpip uses and comes highly recommended. I also use them for a huge work site and have had no problems with them at all.

I would ask that if you have any issues with the site to tell me as soon as possible so that I can deal with it. The move seems to have gone without a hitch, but I may have missed something.

Here’s looking to a much smoother future.

Smooth so far – nicely done, @craig

Anonymous @

Well done @craig…. you’re a star…

Woo hoo!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

You’re a star @craig πŸ™‚ Thanks for your hard work.

Is this one costing a lot more? If so don’t be shy, it’s a collective endeavour of bonkers Who enthusiasts after all and I’m sure people would be happy to donate Β£10 each via PayPal.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all, many thanks. @juniperfish it’s actually still pretty reasonable so I’m fine with it, but thanks for the offer once again. πŸ˜€

I don’t think the site is sending out emails at the mo, so am looking into that. Let me know if you get one from the site.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hey @craigΒ  – I just got an e-mail from the site in relation to your last post in this thread – if that helps πŸ™‚

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@juniperfish Brilliant, thanks. Must be a problem my end then, which is a relief!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Good to be back πŸ™‚ Well done @Criag!

Whisht @whisht

thanks @craig

[/ awkwardbutwellmeaningfistbump]

vizier @vizier

Just wondering, is there a quick way of replying to posts here without using the @name convention, or was this designed purposely in keeping with the former Guardian website style?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@vizier Apologies for the late reply. Yes, part of the reason this forum exists is a reaction to what @bluesqueakpip has called the “nesting consciousness”. @phaseshift ‘s strong feelings about it got him quoted in The Guardian. It’s well worth a read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-northerner/2013/jan/18/manchester-evening-news-facebook-accounts

So, rather than be lynched, I’m going to keep away from nesting!

Whisht @whisht

Hi @vizier – you could try this –

As you know, use the “@[name]” so they get an email and think “ooh.. what’s that?” but I reckon you’re thinking “my reply will be weirdly 37 comments and 2 pages away from what I’m commenting on – even they won’t know what the hell I’m on about!” then I can only think of using a link to their post.

eg it was great that Juniperfish’s request to @craig was taken on.

(using the numbers on the top right of the post as the link).

But there may be better ways – just can’t think of one that other people can see what’s being commented on!

vizier @vizier

ToΒ  both. No worries, I thought as much. It isn’t a problem and to be fair, it worked on the Guardian website for long enough.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig (also @phaseshift,, @jimthefish)

just a quick break for (over)speculating πŸ™‚

And apologies for hassling Craig when you’ve just returned from such a hard week’s networking, LOL

It was mentioned last week that it might be a good idea to add an FAQ to the home page of the site. re basic instructions how to ref people, reply, embed images etc But also specifically re where to post re spoilers and a big appeal to everyone not to post spoilery or spoiler-fuelled speculation on the main threads. This last bit strikes me as esp important since we are picking up lots of new people now (and kudos to Dan for the link in the blog πŸ™‚ ) and spoilering on the main threads isΒ  so easy to do.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Hi @scaryb

I’ve been working on something for this (not forgotten) by working though threads to try to pick up issues. I think it could be useful, but didn’t want to disturb @craig as he was busy. When published I think it would be helpful if it could be linked to the front page, which Craig will have to do. I do intend to include conventions on spoiler information,because it concerns me as well in the lead up to the end of this series.

Hope this is comfort.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb and @phaseshift I think that’s a great idea. Been sleeping half of today but I saw your post, PhaseShift, earlier about how to do smilies, which is something we should make more accessible. I think it’s time to activate the blog function (well, it actually already is activated, just not linked to). That will allow us to post stand-alone articles on anything we want, including tutorials / instructions as well as things like news and longer ramblings that may be a bit off topic but of interest to our little family.

I’ll start preparing some stuff too. If you let me know what you’re working on (PM or email me) then I’ll try to cover anything else.

Anonymous @

Hi @craig – I’ve noticed the time-stamp on my comments is always 1 hour behind GMT.Β  Did someone somewhere forget to reset a clock at the end of March?Β  (I tend to stay up waaaaay too late and going solely by my timestamps on this site, I always think it’s earlier than it is!)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Thanks @craig – I’ll finalise my notes and send them over. I was thinking a couple of Screen shots might be helpful for describing how to embeb video, etc. I’ll sort them out and forward tomorrow.

Glad to have you back!

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot – This forum is located in an alternate universe, where time moves at a different rate than in the real world. LOL

@craig, @phaseshift – maybe you could add that warning somewhere (time in the real world moves much faster than in here, but your body ages at the usual rate, haha) And thanks both for your vigilance at the gates!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Thanks for spotting that, I never really look at posts times for some reason. Is now fixed (altough it now looks like there have been no posts for an hour, but I can’t do anything about that πŸ˜• ) It was either the clocks going forward or the move to a German server as they are an hour behind us. I’ll try to remember to check what happens when the clocks go back.

Anonymous @

Hi again @craig, @phaseshiftΒ  – I have participated in the Spoilers thread so it sounds strange to say that I don’t like watching trailers or ‘next time’ clips at all (and will avoid the Spoilers thread from now on, too).

Is it possible to open up next week’s episode thread early, for people to post trailer/next time subsequent episode clips?Β  Or, should they put them on the Spoilers thread (instead of in the current week’s episode thread)?Β  It’s not so bad if it’s just an unannotated clip, but people do talk about the content of such clips in the current episode thread too.

I may be odd in this forum for thinking this way, but I like to come to each new episode as blank as possible.

Anonymous @

Indeed, welcome back, @craig

Anonymous @

Hi – I’m being a terrible pain @craig so soon after your return!Β  This isn’t a big deal, I just noticed that some formatting didn’t work on the CH thread.

I’ve used bolding and italics successfully, but the underlining didn’t work.Β  (I’ll look foolish if it works here, though!).Β  I’m highlighting the word and using the formatting buttons, in ‘Visual’ mode.Β  The underlining shows in the edit but not in the submitted post.

… edit to above post:Β  it didn’t work here, either.Β  And now that I’m in edit mode again, the bolded and italicised words show as they should, but nothing for the underlined word.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Nice idea about opening up next week’s thread early. I might try that, although I still can’t stop where people post.

Regarding underlining, I’m not a fan from a usability perspective. All the advice on web design is to never underline normal text as users will expect it to be a link. I think I could probably make it work, but it could open up comments to unwanted styles being injected, which I’m wary about. I may instead see if I can remove the underline button instead, just to avoid confusion.

And it’s no probs. I think I had about 16 hours sleep yesterday all told, so am feeling a bit fresher today after a week of hardly any.

@jimthefish Thanks.

ScaryB @scaryb

Spoilers – agree with @Shazzbot – and I know quite a few others on here do too. I think it needs to be spelt out what could be considered a spoiler – not everyone is going to feel the same, one person’s spoiler is simply another person’s advance trailer – and to please please please not to introduce ANYTHING you have seen on a spoiler (pic, trailer etc) into a current thread. In the nicest possible, non-dictatorial way of course πŸ™‚

That’s a good idea re opening the following week’s thread early for trailers etc

WhoHar @whohar

@craig

Hi Craig,

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, and (shamefully) it’s only just occurred to me, but is hosting this website costing you any significant amount of money?

If so, then you must let me know – I’ll certainly be happy to contribute.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whohar Thanks, it has been mentioned, but actually the hosting is still pretty reasonable, so for entertainment value alone I’m happy to take the hit. It’s more expensive than the first host, but not much more. I spend more on wine and cigarettes in a day than it costs me per month so is not going to break the bank.

But thanks again. If we get so big that we need to move to an even more expensive server then don’t worry,Β  I won’t be shy about asking πŸ˜€

Craig

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Forum Etiquette

Dear all, 2 new additions tonight. As the site grows I thought it prudent to post a Forum Etiquette page. This is not in response to anything anybody has done, just a response to some members’ fears about an influx of trolls and posts that are spoilers in more way than one in the run up to the end of the season.

It is also somewhere you can send new members if you think they are over-stepping the bounds of the usual civil conversation we have here.

As mentioned on the new Etiquette page I’ve also opened up the next episode topic early as an experiment to try and contain too many preview posts in the previous episode topic. So if you have info about the next episode, Nightmare in Silver, please post it there and not in the Crimson Horror thread.

If anyone thinks I’m being heavy handed let me know. Am still just trying to find out how best to run this thing. πŸ˜•

Ah, it’s new! Top work.

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@craig – great work with clear and concise list of things which might annoy fellow users.

I do like a nice ToDo list πŸ˜€ …

Think “afternoon tea with the Doctor”. There will be tea and jammy dodgers, but any daleks demanding that the show be exterminated will be roundly dealt with and all cybermen who explain that this is a kids show will be deleted.

πŸ˜€

Anonymous @

@craig, after having read that new page, I salute you in your positivity, equanimity and downright friendliness to anyone new who joins us.Β  Kinda like the site I found initially; so the tone (I thought) was absolutely perfect.Β  Extra Godwin points for introducing Hitler so early!

(bad joke, I know … I’ll join Marvin over in the corner so that we two can get so depressed the Daleks will self-destruct before trying to exfoliate … erm, exterminate us. — Has anyone really considered how Marvin is the best offensive weapon ever?! I shudder with joy to think that an homage to D Adams could possibly be folded into the souffle that is the current DW series.)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Everyone – The Dr’s greatest secret is that he ate the Leadworth ducks with a nice plum sauce…

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@wolfweed – I suspect fowl play

Whisht @whisht

@craig – that’ll have been tough for you as I know you’ve wanted to keep this space as organic as possible. However it’s a great page and needed to be done, so well done!

I remember someone on the guardian snidely saying here was where everyone agreed. I couldn’t be arsed replying and setting them straight as they may have taken it as an invitation.

Here is not where we all agree – there’s quite a bit of disagreement.

They just didn’t recognise that, as here we are polite.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig @whisht It’s still organic! Think of it as a sign to stop people bringing in artificial fertiliser and weedkiller.

If you don’t think it would make it too long, you could add @bluesqueakpip‘s Dalek and Cyberman keep out! warning πŸ™‚ LOL @ “afternoon tea with the Doctor”

@whisht re the Groan – that was @jimthefish‘s fave Trollsheep (I suspect he just barks because he can). He wouldn’t like it here, nesting suits him much better.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 947 total)

The topic ‘Website comments’ is closed to new replies.