General Music thread 2

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 2

This topic contains 1,008 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    Whisht @whisht

btw – @thekrynoidman – I didn’t say ‘Hi’ good to see you again!

I am a massive fan of Bugsy Malone and am now seriously late for stuff after listening to other choons from it (bit naughty of you going with the finale!).

So, in keeping (a bit) with this week’s theme…

(I may not be able to put Friday tunes up due to where I’ll be tomorrow but will try!)

Anonymous @

@whisht “I’ve wasted so much time I’ve wasted so much time” looking at dudes with their shirts off!!.

Goodness.

@fatmaninabox That was superb. Yes, we’ve been having our own Doctor Who anniversary…. “oh Doctor, Oh Doctor”. Not related to shirts off.

@arbutus

Donovan: Luvly, As was the jazz. Thank yup

lisa @lisa

@arbutus I love the great Duke ! I’ll have to dig out 1 of my favs to post at some point.
    @Purofilion Thought about posting that tune but I’m happy that you did cause the Easybeats
    were Aussies!
    @whisht Eno is terrific meditation music!
    @fatmaninabox I think that Murray Gold’s music is totally genius!!
    So for my Friday post apologies for sharing this blast from the past cheesy Disco will
    never die but oddly seems appropriate here strange thing:

Anonymous @

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umx2KSZ-adw&feature=player_detailpage

the longer interview is the best of course but can be readily found on youtube @lisa for you!

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

This is the only vaguely Friday related song I could think of (My musical knowlage is probably quite limited compared to some of you guy’s)

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman not at all! You’ll always impress me with Abba. In Oz, about a year ago, we had a great doco celebrating the music show, Countdown where the hosts used to publicly sneer at Abba but then later admitted that they had an absolute life long crush/love for the band and different individuals.

I don’t think as a Pop group they were ever over-rated. I think they did what great pop groups do: create something unique and dateless (well, except for their outfits; but then Bowie’s clothes, man, were they ‘out there’), songs you can’t get out of your head and songs that make you tap toes and head for the dance floor.

Having occasion to visit a home for the elderly on a Friday night recently, I saw half the 90 year olds (sticks, canes and walkers) twisting around and dancing their hearts out to Bo Didley, Bay City Rollers and Abba. Good enough for them, so good enough for me. 🙂

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Fridays are a little easier. I realise I should probably have gone for The Specials’ original but I kind of like the Nouvelle Vague version, although their breathy ohh-la-la, we are so Freeench schtick gets a bit annoying sometimes….

Arbutus @arbutus

Joe Jackson, anyone?

lisa @lisa

So for some odd reason I’ve felt as though I ‘inflicted some not such a terrific choice’
    of a Friday song selection on you guys. My SO would probably say ‘there’s something wrong
    about you sometimes’ (My SO also seems to think that its sort of strangely cute about me
    but as they say there’s no accounting for taste) 😉
    But in any case to make amends I’m submitted a few alternate treats that have absolutely
    nothing to do with Fridays etc.

1 – @Arbutus– my favorite Paul Ggonsalves bits of the Duke album from Newport Jazz Festival

2 – An always fun and a bouncy favorite that was used in Guardians of the Galaxy

Wishing beveryone a great weekend
    Still have a Saturday and a Sunday tune but that’s another post
    🙂

Anonymous @

I’m cheating a bit with my ‘Friday’ song as Friday isn’t in the title but is mentioned in the song.

A jaunty and very ear-wormy little sea shanty called The Mermaid (not on you-tube, link goes to Band Candy).

@arbutus – Joe Jackson’s fine by me 😀

Has anybody noticed that these two song’s have the exact same riff?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thekrynoidman When that Jet track came out everyone, and I mean everyone, said “You’ve ripped off Iggy Pop”.

Iggy Pop, to his immense credit, didn’t care and admitted he basically stole it from The Supremes.

@craig That does sound very similar, although I was under the impression that David Bowie came up with the riff for Lust for Life.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thekrynoidman They did work together on the album. I should’ve said “they” rather than “he”.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just on the topic of songs that sound alike, did you know that Tom Petty just won a legal action and now gets royalties and a writers credit from Sam Smith for “Stay With Me”. Was just a coincidence, supposedly!

Whisht @whisht

ah- so many great tunes!!

Will have to listen tomorrow (have my brother ’round yesterday and today).

And apologies for no Friday song from me.
    So here’s an even more specific track than my Thursday offering, here’s Friday Night, August 14th

@jimthefish – your post could’ve been written by me! had that one prepped and agree that they get cloying after a couple of tracks, but great every now and then.

Here’s Saturday here already? Well this one popped up as soon as I started typing Saturday into my iTunes and I can’t really say no.
    Though she did.

The Saturday Boy.

“and la la la la la la laaa meee-aaans I love yoooooooouuuuuuu”

Craig @craig
    Emperor

It’s my birthday today so getting a bit sentimental about the past, and Scotland. Vote SNP! And got a great record-themed card from my parents cos I’m a 45. The kids won’t understand that.

And just to continue, sorta, the theme of songs that sound the same – Primal Scream with the original track that inspired Loaded, and then Loaded, which shows what inspired remixers can do. Ah… the dancing to this…

Frimann79 @frimann79

Happy birthday!

Arbutus @arbutus

I hovered between these two, decided to go with Sam Cooke, but in honour of @craig‘s birthday, I will put the Proclaimers up as well.

All the best tracks came out on 45’s!

This, rather frighteningly, used to be a favourite of my son’s.  I choose to believe that he didn’t really understand it.

Anonymous @

@craig – a ’45’ song for you. Happy Birthday 🙂

And a song for Saturday

lisa @lisa

@craig Happy Birthday to our great benevolent Emperor! Long may he reign!

As for Saturday @arbutus – Geesh! You did the Sam Cooke! Ok Well this will have to
    make do

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Happy Birthday, @craig…. Loaded is an awesome track. It’s one of those ones that seemed to represent a consciousness-changing moment for such a lot of people

Saturday — it’s either going to have to be Drive-In Saturday — but we’ve already done a lot of Bowie this week, so it’s got to be Uncle Tom Waits, back when he was a god-damned legend. Went for this one, but it could just have easily been The Ghosts of Saturday Night…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig

Happy Birthday – this one just reminded me strongly of – well, all of us.

Anonymous @

@craig Happy birthday!

I can’t add to this list -suffice to say @jimthefish perfect choice of Tom Waits  is a great choon for any day of the week and particularly a birthday.

It was my 3rd CD -one of the ones of Mr Waits, at any rate.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Sunday has all the best songs, it seems. Johnny Cash, Nick Cave and the Velvets all have strong contenders, but to me it really has to be the ‘Hungarian suicide song’ that wins out. Have a cheerful and jolly Sunday, everyone…

Anonymous @

A couple of songs for Sunday. First is a gloomy one – not as gloomy as the one @jimthefish offered 🙂 – but the video is quite sweet.

And some Sunday campness from Queen…

Whisht @whisht

hey @craig – apologies that I missed your birthday! Obviously I hope you had a good one (will try and find something relevant that I haven’t played before.. may take days!)

As for Sunday, could’ve sworn I’d linked to this before (but can’t find where) and know I’ve linked to this piece of glory, which links Gospel and the Duke (ie Mahalia Jackson in glorious a cappela).

But never linked to this lovely ambling, rambling piece methinks.

But will try and lift the gloom that Jim has brought ( 😉 ) with this bit of happiness.

lisa @lisa

What to do when we get to Sunday? So many possibilities as @jimthefish and others mentioned.

but wait! there’s more

I also love the Gloomy tune a lot – Sarah Brightman does a really good version on it too so…

HAPPY SUNDAY FOLKS! I’ve enjoyed posting all these weekday songs! Really great fun!
    🙂 🙂 🙂

Summersmith @summersmith

Belated birthday wishes, @craig.

Not related to days of the week, but I saw this singer song-writer busking in Guildford last weekend. I think the song’s rather nice although there’s no video. (fingers crossed the link works).

Arbutus @arbutus

Have to go with the Kristofferson original, as it is the version I grew up with!

Thanks, @whisht, for this idea, it’s been great fun choosing and listening.

Arbutus @arbutus

Following the news last week of Richard III’s reburial, I thought I’d post something from approximately his time and place. England during the Wars of the Roses wasn’t a hotbed of great composition, but Robert Morton was active a couple of decades prior to Richard’s reign.

I read that there were people in armour at the ceremony, and wondered if @rob was one of them: couldn’t remember if you are a Yorkist or a Lancastrian.   🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

And as I’ve just seen the sad news that we’ve lost John Renbourn…

Anonymous @

Yes, indeed @arbutus.

There’s a ton of his great stuff out there -right till the end he kept playing, so it seems, anyway.

This is a lovely track.

many thanks for the sad news, arbutus. Puro.

Whisht @whisht

wow – just wanted to say thanks for everyone leaping in with some absolutely fantastic ‘songs of the day’!

Still got a few to listen to as well.

truly music is the gift-that-keeps-on-giving!

;¬)

Arbutus @arbutus

What my liberal arts education got me is an appreciation for this:

ScaryB @scaryb

Woah… am I behind or what??

Missed our Emperor’s birthday – hangs head in shame and expects to get exterminated on the spot! Belated happies to @craig ( 😆  at “the 45” – that’s brilliant)

Some absolutely brilliant songs of the day from everyone – @lisa, @fatmaninabox, @jimthefish @arbutus – lots of faves in there, thank you all. And thanks to @arbutus and @Purofilion for the John Renbourn songs – yet another one gone too soon – far too many of them this year.

OK, I’m joining the game late – but here’s a song for Tuesday. Jagger/Richards composition, and it was done by the Stones, but Melanie Safka’s version knocks spots off their version (IMHO 🙂 )

Arbutus @arbutus

Happy Easter, Forumsters!

We devoted a couple of hours yesterday to Bach’s St. Matthew Passion, and (because we really are music nerds) debating whether the invention of the chorale tune was the greatest German contribution ever to classical music (hubby said sonata form; I maintained that German composers didn’t actually invent that, only formalized it from earlier roots). Just an example of the kind of conversations that come up in our house on a Friday night!  🙂  But seriously, chorale tunes are wonderful and Bach’s settings of said tunes are sublime.

Whisht @whisht

#104 in the series “Music that reminds me of an episode”

I give you “The Idiot’s Lantern” and this piece of pop thinkery:

(well, it was popped into my mind when it popped up on my walkman the other day!)

iluvit @iluvit

Great “Nerd” Artist

Likes to code. Likes pen plotters. I spotted a Dalek doll in one of his videos.

Good music:

http://tedium.us/

Good video:

http://tedium.us/newday/index.html

Found this solo track from the great Pete Townshend while messing about on YouTube. It’s pretty catchy.

Brian Wilson is a genius

Whisht @whisht

Ben E King died – I thought I’d link to a couple of songs he sang.

A sad occasion, but made me think how amazing it is when anyone gets the opportunity to make a positive difference to million of lives.

and the one everyone else linked to (quite rightly as it is a great tune!)

Whisht @whisht

For those of you in the UK, you may have missed this piece of news.
    I haven’t come across any mentions of this in the local media but it seems we’re having an election tomorrow.

Yeah – who knew huh?

Well, obviously I could link to the nominatively appropriate The Who, but thought I’d link to this one instead (cos I like it):

From the scarce reports I’ve come across, it seems we may be heading for a “hung parliament”.
    Now, some unsporting souls may say hanging’s too good for ’em, but that’s unfair on people who work hard for us. But will that stop me from stooping low for an easy gag?

Hell no!

So here’s some heavy-blues and an ode to the politician who’s literally trying to screw his electorate:

Anonymous @

election huh?

Well, a hung parliament can be absolutely fantastic -it was for us some years ago but sadly we have a dominant conservative party. Hope your election cedes something better.

A toon.

Well, I haven’t done this in a while so I hope the link works. Sinister Minister by my favourite: Bela Fleck and Victor Wooten on bass. Niiice.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

An election? As a Scot I hadn’t noticed we’re finally being noticed. Oh, what fun.

There may be a reason the SNP might do quite well. Grew up near Bathgate (which is in the lyrics), and know many Scots who have left for the USA. I’m in London so probably fit in there too.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

And I love you all, wherever you come from. And I hope, if you’re in the UK, your vote counts for something tomorrow, even if you disagree with everything I believe in.

Please vote! Now here’s a nice song…

lisa @lisa

I see no one has posted the Sky politicians getting it on song yet so here ya go

Whisht @whisht

dunno why, but this song about a character being told of impending doom in 5 years, sprang to mind.

Tonally doom laden, a feeling that “the centre cannot hold” and a repetition of the words “Five years” sung in a dispirited horror-filled way.

endure enjoy

Whisht @whisht

ok – if people are like me then they’re just getting out of the “oh shit, really?” phase, yet without much hope or humour.

So I thought I’d lighten the tone and link to a guy who once sang for his country’s police orchestra.

Honestly, its funky.
    And I mean funky like James Brown rather than smelly.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@whisht  et al–

My election reaction song. The mighty Mr Cocker and possibly not suitable for those who dislike the sweary words….

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,009 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 2’ is closed to new replies.