General Open Thread – TV Shows

Home Forums Non-Doctor TV programmes General Open Thread – TV Shows

This topic contains 1,006 replies, has 66 voices, and was last updated by  JimTheFish 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@pedant @jimthefish

Oh what is HAPPENING?? How does Buffy have a sister? It’s not a dream? She’s in the credits!  Willow says “how’s my chess partner?” Dawn writes in her diary: “The only one of Buffy’s friends who really likes school just as much as me”.

So this is a thing now??  But HOW?

OK, I’m 3/4 thru the episode…but still.

Having said that the lines are fantastic. Giles:  “She did seduce me, all red and sporty” and Buffy: “Little two-door tramp”. Oh, it’s lovely. Just lovely. But Dawn? What the hell is going on and why?

Throwing remote, Puro.

Anonymous @

I’ve loved reading all these comments on Buffy and dearly wished I could participate but I only have them on VHS (and nothing to play them on) and my memories, particularly the earlier seasons, are a bit sketchy to say the least.

@puuofilion

Hee hee, yes I think pretty much everyone went “Huh?” when Dawn appeared but as Amy Pond would say, hold on kids – this is where it gets complicated 😀

I really need to buy a 2nd hand VHS player as the season 5 big bad is simply glorious!

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox so I was all, ‘this is a dream’!  And then the words “she’s always been around, annoying…”  -paraphrased etc. And there was no sense this was a displaced world. So, heck with the relationships set up – Zander being someone Dawn knows & crushes on; Willow a chess partner and Riley in cow-boy mode saying “see ya kid,” I’m up the wazoo with theories.

I aint got a one (“Big bad is simply glorious”? Hmm. Intrigued!)

Regards, Puro.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@fatmaninabox

Hee hee, yes I think pretty much everyone went “Huh?”

Not me. I was ‘Maybe Dawn was living in LA?’ Very accepting of people turning up out of nowhere, me. I blame an early diet of Australian soaps – never previously mentioned relatives arrived on a regular basis. 😉

[Puro: the answer is more complicated than ‘she was living in LA’.]

@bluesqueakpip

Rotate many foodstuffs…

@pedant

I wasn’t in charge of the remote control. Actually, back then, there wasn’t a remote control.

I also acquired a detailed knowledge of Crossroads, Coronation Street and Emmerdale Farm (now Emmerdale).

As an adult, I flatly refuse to watch any soap unless I have to. 😈

@bluesqueakpip

Ah, Emmerdale Farm in the days when it was on immediately before Crown Court. Young Jenna hadn’t even been born.

And then were the BBC2 test transmissions – usually corporate films about techie topics (Philips seemed to do a lot of them).

That and test matches in the days when commentators knew when to keep their gobs shut.

Our first remote control was wired (so didn’t get used much). DE bloomin’ R.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip  yes, I thought so: in that one theory she was a step sister, a relative connected with ‘dad’s’ side of the family except when Buffy started (the show itself) she’d arrived in Sunnydale having blown up a school and Joyce was recently separated!! So, all this is going thru my head whilst Boy Ilion is all cool-as “Just accept it dude.” ACCEPT WHAT?

Someone’s on drugs. That’s my answer.

I don’t mind soaps. I think they’re under-rated. And laughed at a lot.

@purofilion

It has been established a couple of times (whenever Hank turned up, and a couple of other time I think) that Buffy is an only child.

They have barely started with the mind-fuck yet.

(And when the season is over I can unleash my pet peeve about a certain type of fans)

Anonymous @

@pedant  yes, Hank, exactly (seems such a long time ago now). So, I’ll contain my confusion for the moment

ichabod @ichabod

Anybody see “Fortitude” Ep 1 last night?  Sound quality was awful (I had to turn it way up to make out lines in some scenes), visuals convincingly awful (I enjoy stories about the Arctic, but no way am I *ever* going up there, and hope *there* never comes down here no matter how crazy our climate shifts become).

lisa @lisa

@ichabod I forgot about Fortitude-what did I miss? I guess Geoffreu Palmer does have some pinchy
    jowlies doesn’t he! Dare I say a bit pug-able huggable? So what are you reading now? I have
    too many choices between the new stack and the old unfinished dust collecting stack that stares
    at me disparagingly. [I often have trouble finishing many books but I love starting them] My new
    stack includes a new Stephen King called ‘Doctor’ and a Malcolm Gladwell and I’m really looking
    forward to the new JD Salinger a lot…..just always curious about what’s in other peoples piles:-)

Hey, @purofilion  -do Oz Buffy DVDs have the “Previously on….”?

Anonymous @

@pedant

yep.

@purofilion

Oh good (the American ones don’t). They do something very cool in the S5 finale (which happened to the the 100th episode).

How far have you got?

Anonymous @

@pedant  I have only watched the first two eps of the 5th season due to RL!  So, I’m still puzzling over Dawn:  I intend to watch two eps today -this morning, in fact…..

ichabod @ichabod

Fortitude has a “The Thing” vibe mixed with “The Strain” — you know the odd research lab probably trying to “weaponize” penguins or something — plus a grisly murder (poor Eccleston Doc, split down the middle), a boy who’s caught *something* from contact with woolly mammoth remains (I think?), and a murderous town sheriff and a “Governor” (?  of what?) who’s bent on opening an ice hotel, like the famous one in wherever the hell that is.  And a high level cop from “the mainland” (?) who has some theory that involves — wind chimes?  And a short conversation about lutfiske.

I only know about it because I spotted an internet list of new UK shows coming up, and this thing was on it, so I looked.  I’ll look again; then I’m done, unless it starts to either cohere, or shine with dialog and acting brilliance.

But hey, maybe I missed something here?  I’m always happy to hear that something is better than I thought it was — unless it’s abysmally worse, of course, which can’t ever be ruled out in the land of television.

ichabod @ichabod

Oh, Lisa — books!  Forgot.  Right now, an anthology of mysterious and SFnal stories, “Young Woman in a Garden” by Delia Sherman; Vol. 2 of a YA fantasy series by an excellent author, Maggie Stiefvater, called “The Raven Cycle” (a modern day YA with an Arthurian theme);  “Forty Days Without Shadow”, by Olivier Truc, a murder mystery set in Sami land; and a book my daughter in law sent me for Xmas, “Station Eleven” by Emily St. John Mandel, a post-collapse novel about a traveling theater and music troop coming up against a crazy religious leader.

All good, so I flit among them depending on where I left each one and whether I can find my place in it once it’s in my hands — old habits; I used to read this way when I was a kid, still do much of the time.

The last is one of those novels of ruin that’s written by a non-genre author (so far as I can tell) and published hardback by Knopf, so it’s been reviewed in places like the Boston Herald and the NYTBR as a real book, right; and since she’s a damn good writer the book made it to National Book Award Finalist status and is a national best seller.  This is the kind of thing that makes top drawer genre writers grind their teeth with frustration, of course, because *without* the SF label this is what’s possible; *with* the SF label, your book hasn’t got a chance in Hell.

lisa @lisa

@Ichabod– I know about ‘Station Eleven” thru another friend that loves anything
    apocalypse-y doom gloom conspiracy theory etc. He tells me its a reaction to his
    formative years growing up in Nottingham and actually I’ve heard some of those stories
    It was tough but I don’t think I know all of it. He’s doing ok though cause of his
    cleverness he has a nice life now. I think he could probably write a good apocalypse story
    to be honest. I’ve told him once or twice to try.
    Seriously I read the same way you do including lots of stuff on line too. Also love the free
    books online and blogs–always have my face in front of something sucking up words as
    as often as I can spare the time for it

lisa @lisa

@ichabod Oh btw! that’s a interesting list! I will try to check all of them out
    -thanks for the heads up

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@purofilion

Sorry for the delay on this one

OK. I haven’t seen Farscape. Whilst I’d heard of it, I had no idea it was Australian? Rightio. Add that to the new knowledge pile.

While I appreciate you are deep into Buffy and Angel watches at the moment, do try Farscape later on. It’s grand space opera that starts of umpromisingly as a lone shuttle pilot gets sling shoted into a wormhole and finds himself in the middle of a space battle. So far, so Buck Rogers. The hero John Crighton is no Buck though, and it does have a unique voice of its own.

With the exception of John (Ben Browder, who played Isaac in A Town Called Mercy), the cast is mainly Australian and New Zealand based (fans of Mad Max 2 will see more than a couple of familiar faces), it makes great use of some great locations in Australia.

Jim Hensons creature designs are fantastic, visual effects work is awesome and it’s hugely creative – especially with regard to alien swear words which gradually build up and you understand from context. By Series 3 you can hear exchanges that, because you’re used to them, are absolute filth, in the nicest possible way. 😀

It’s fast talking and bonkers. I love it.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift I appreciate it -thank you, and I’ve every intention of checking it out. Lots on the plate at the mo

Regards,

puro

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just got round to watching Amazon’s pilot of “The Man in the High Castle”, the adaptation of the Philip K. Dick novel, produced by Ridley Scott and adapted by Frank Spotnitz who worked on “The X Files”. I thought it was really, really good, quality TV, and am praying for more.

It’s set in an alternate reality where Germany and Japan won the war and have carved up the world. The USA is split in half, with the Eastern seaboard part of Nazi Germany and the West coast part of Japan. The production design, in realising this, is brilliant.

I love the novel and I thought it was a great treatment of it, from the atmospheric credits onwards. Unfortunately it’s only a pilot so I’ll have to hope it gets made into a series, but from the reviews it seems like it’s the only Amazon pilot that’s got a chance this year. You could do worse than spend an hour checking it out (although, like me, you’ll probably end up frustrated there’s not more).

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Thanks for posting about “The Man in the High Castle”. Looks good. And a helluva pedigree 😉

@phaseshift Don’t know if you kept on with RTD’s  Cucumber, but various friends, whose opinions I usually agree with, and who agreed with you re #1 have come round massively to say it’s really come into its own on the next 2.

*sigh*

Too many good things to watch!

Anyone else still watching Broadchurch? Definitely suffering from series 2 problems but it”s still compelling, thanks hugely to Tennant and Coleman. Shame the support characters don’t get the space they got in series 1, but it’s interesting to have a drama where the 2 main leads aren’t actually that likeable, and, I think, deliberately so. You expect to like them because they’re the leads, and because it’s Tennant and Coleman, but they’re flawed, and they make human mistakes, which have far reaching consequences. And depending how it plays out, maybe their characters shoudn’t be let off the hook for those errors of judgement.

lisa @lisa

@craig – thanks for the link – always interested to watch anything written by Phillip K Dick

@scaryb – Broadchurch hasn’t been aired on BBCAmerica yet- I think its still a while off

Anonymous @

@craig

thank you for the link to Man in the High Castle -so appropriate in so many ways. Typically, it’s nowhere in Oz – unless on Foxtel which I have no real interest in paying for -although Child of Mine wants to watch Eng PL soccer and FIFA and there’s no way to do that unless one signs up for $55 a month of telly and most of it’s utter crap: Hallmark movies etc. Though, with MitHC, I’d be willing to change my mind. As @lisa says, anything by P.K. Dick is usually worth it.

@scaryb

Broadchurch 2 started in Oz last week but having suffered thru B’church 1, I don’t think I have the patience! I thought the leads were terrific -but it just went on and on and on. I’m thinking S2 is tighter?

@jimthefish @pedant

terribly behind on Buffy though did watch a lot of Angel -couldn’t believe Doyle died. I kept believing he’d be resurrected.

@phaseshift I’m a great fan of Mad Max (had to hide under a blanket in the back of a mate’s car so my Dad wouldn’t find out I was going to the drive-in!) and Henson’s a miracle worker. I like fast dialogue -many films these days -and indeed, series, tend to rely on slow exposition -maybe they believe the audience is slower these days  😉

Anonymous @

@ichabod Fortitude?? I think it’s on in Oz. Not sure -have I seen ads?  Or am I mixing ‘fortitude’ up with the QLD election? @janetteb is ‘Fortitude’ on in Oz? Is it on the ABC? or on something….shock and horror…, with ads??

@purofilion

I’m thinking S2 is tighter?

*spfllltftfftf*

I am only still watching out of morbid curiosity.

Man in the High Castle is on Amazon, so you may find it there (it is only at the pilot stage). It was interesting and well done, IMO.

ichabod @ichabod

@phaseshift  — Farscape!  I loved that show; it was deeply weird, visual wonderful, and obsessively relation-snippy, since the crew of — Moia? –not sure of the spelling now — spent a lot of episodes onboard (alien location shooting must be vastly expensive, and when they did it, they did it well).  It was also *smart*, and the lead characters were grown-ups (mostly and most of the time) able to deal with complex plot-advancing situations and demands.  Fresh faces, snappy scripts, lots of fun —

And then I started to notice something, because it was beginning to disturb me.  In the later series, it seemed like almost every episode included or even revolved around extended scenes of torture.  It got to me to such an extent that I finally stopped watching.

To be clear, I’m not saying that I consider myself above being entertained by torture scenes (if that were true, I could certainly never have developed a taste for Opera, would I).  What bothered me was that I felt that an element of my own character that I consider borderline perverse and squirmy was being *catered to*, in a sly and then a very insistent way, by the creative team on Farscape (well, that element in me and in lots and lots of other viewers at the time — the show was popular).  Everybody onscreen seemed to be having far too good a time  running wildly painful chemicals, currents, sharp blades, deliberately horrible lies etc. through other characters’ bodies/brains/souls etc. while in pursuit of some MacGuffin or other.

Again, it could be partly a matter of money: torture scenes are dramatic, and they’re cheap; space battles and exploration of alien planets, probably less so.  But . . . Anyway, if anybody here does go check out Farscape — and I loved it for a long time — I’d appreciate comments here about what you find in this department.  It could be that I’m remembering it in a distorted or downright false way.  Or maybe I am, or was back then, overly sensitive for some reason.   The same aversion drove me away from “24”, of course, and I didn’t last long with Hannibal either, handsome as that production was.  The Doctor is definitely my speed in this department, and thank goodness for him!

Broadchurch — bored me stiff.  Everybody had exactly the secrets you’d imagine, and none of them were interesting as characters except for the self-outcast woman living by the beach, with her extreme background experience.  Now I hear it’s courtroom drama, so I’m outta there again.  Right now I’m indulging my long term interest in the paranormal and metaphysical, watching “Sea of Souls” and some good UK ghosty stuff categorized along with it (SOS is paranormal investigators at “Clyde University” in Glasgow).

ichabod @ichabod

puro — Here’s a thing about Fortitude:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/dec/09/fortitude-review-sophie-grabol-christopher-eccleston-twin-peaks

Worth a look, maybe more.  Stanley Tucci is no slouch either (did anybody see him in the film version of The Lovely Bones?  Jeez — gorgeously crazy!).

lisa @lisa

@ichabod – Your right about Farscape– the first season or so they paid more attention to the
    character development and interactions which was very interesting but from the time Moya
    gave birth to battleship jr. and the ditching of Zhan [the blue alien that was a plant] it turned
    a corner into having a pre-occupation with ‘war games’ and it felt like there was 1 attack each episode.
    But I watched until it was finally over. They said it was canceled cause it became too expensive.
    I assumed but don’t know for a fact that the shows creator Rockne O’Bannon just had less
    influence over the show thru the ongoing seasons. Or maybe I just decided it was so?
    In any case it was INO a really well conceived good series. There was also Babylon 5 that was just
    before the time of Farscape. So when that was cancelled it wasn’t long before Farscape
    showed up to fill ‘my aliens in the far reaches of the galaxies fix’. They were some of my favorites
    until Doctor Who started again and filled the next tv sci-fi gap for me.
    Hard to find Babylon 5 online but I’m sure it is around

Anonymous @

@ichabod thank you for the link

‘Lovely Bones’ -terrific film. Love Tucci.

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion — welcome, of course.

I read “The Lovely Bones” because I thought it was an interesting “afterlife” idea, but the novel was the worst bait-and-switch job I have ever encountered.  That interesting idea turned out to be a mask for another drearily plodding “exploration” of American suburban life, not just in the regular world but *after death too and presumably forever* — good God, what a HORRIBLE thought!  I ended up flinging the damn thing across the room, and by god I’d fling it again!

But the movie — holy moly, was that a *gorgeous*, inventive, triumphant piece of film making!  It drove me all Malcolm Tucker (only inside my own head, no psychological maiming of anybody but maybe me resulted) when critics and others started whining about how the “fantasy elements” spoiled the movie for their teeny tiny shrunken tangerine pudding-f**king brains.

Just Tucci making that mad rush up the stairs — I’ve never felt ruthless lizard-brain menace projected so forcefully on a movie screen, not ever.  It was amazing.  A brilliant rescue of a deeply mediocre book, IMO.

Anonymous @

@pedant

in Angel, Jeremy Renner makes an appearance as the Pope!  Ha! He must be 18 me thinks he’s had cosmetic work…before Mission Impossible somethingarother and Bourne 19.

And Wesley “if you call shaking your booty at the latest nightclub, a life, then….call me envious?”

I like how he says “e-vil”

Anonymous @

he was really with Ms Hannigan?

@purofilion – Alexis Denisof and Alyson Hannigan are married with two kids, yeah…

Barbara Lefty @barbaralefty

A magpie could do worse than hang out here and pick up shinys.

@ichabod, how did I miss a parapsychology series set in Glasgow?!? Off to find it, Lovely Bones (the film), @craig, Man in High Castle looks great.

Cucumber, banana.  I sort of see your point @juniperfish, and I guess it echoes what Julie Walters was saying about a preponderance of Middle Class, (or middle aged) TV, however I guess it comes down to the characters and how he writes them. Def with @scaryb that it has shaped up in ep2 of both. Without giving too much away, although the situation of someone too long in a loveless relationship awakened by a chance encounter was a bit clichéd, there was a scene between two very different characters, very touching, very human, that I just loved. Enjoying the meshing of the two main plots. And to be honest I quite like the mobile conversations. You always know where you are picking up and with whom! Lazy me!

Also Scotty works for H C Clements. Which means this is totes in-Whoniverse!!! 😛

Anonymous @

@ichabod

it’s rare isn’t it for a film to do better than a book? Lovely Bones as an example -I didn’t read it and in fact knew very little until it hit the screens -I might add that it stayed in the local cinema for barely two weeks and the session I attended was almost empty (except for a noisy ‘droid’ chumping at popcorn & slurping slushies!).

Years ago, I saw The Joy Luck Club-I was probably 24 and easily impressed. I thought it was particularly good and yet the book -not in the slightest.

I’m now trying to think of films “better than the book by far” and my son mentioned Twilight 1 -don’t know its proper title. But he read it and believed the film (apparently made on a shoe string) was an improvement -not a good movie but “less awful than the book, mum.”

In the back of my head is a John Fowles book -which inspired a film. I have a feeling (a dim one, mind) that the film was excellent. I thought one version was French and decidedly more creepy than the book. But I could be wrong.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@barbaralefty — Sea of Souls was a short-lived X-Files-ey style Scottish show starring the mighty Bill Paterson. Never really lived up to its potential but the second series was better than the first I seem to remember.

@purofilion — I never realised that was Jeremy Renner in Somnambulist until this year. Boy done good. Also for my money a film that improves on the source book, I’d have to give a shout-out to Wonder Boys. And it’s a pretty great book to begin with (I’m a big Michael Chabon fan) but the film tightens up some of the flabby edges of the novel (like getting rid of the interminable Passover sequence in the middle). The film is one of my all-time favourites. Definitely Michael Douglas’s best performance.

Have to say I quite liked The Man in the High Castle. I’d definitely watch that if made it to a full series. And Dick’s best book for my money too.

ichabod @ichabod

@jimthefish    I watched an episode labeled SO3, episode O4 last night, and there are two more episodes in SO3, and then a couple more SO’s, so it looks like more than one series — but short ones, some 2-parters, some individual stories, usually about 6 in a bunch.  There are a couple more SO’s to go, probably 15-18 episodes all told, so it’s a solid handful at least.   Quite enjoyable, apart from a fairly heavy-handed insistence in the dialog that the paranormal stuff is explainable despite the fact that for the most part, as presented, it’s nothing of the kind.

I’ve spotted a stray thing called “Afterlife” on the same site, and comments from a few people who saw it and liked it.  This is where I’m finding these is YouTube:

Plus others, lots to explore.

@purfilion  Would that be the Fowles book called, I think, “The Magician” or “The Tower”, something like that — or “The French Lieutenant’s Woman”, which (as both film and book) was quite a hit at the time, as I recall?

lisa @lisa

@ichabod — I had forgotten about Afterlife – I thought that was quite good in large part because
    of the acting but the story arc was interesting as well. Lesley Sharp {the woman in Doctor Who’s
    Midnight episode who was invaded by the alien] is 1 of the main Characters and the other main is
    Andrew Lincoln is from that recent Zombie show [name of which drawing blankness] are in Afterlife.
    Definitely worth a peak !
    Can anyone tell me the name of the series with the clown that had the hook hand? It had the mother
    and son freaky duo and the toy collector guy and a cast of the most peculiar eccentric lunatics ever!
    I was so a fan of that some years back when I found it on You Tube. They pulled it down before I
    got to the end.

Anonymous @

@jimthefish

you are absolutely right about Chabon’s Wonder Boys and the film. What a fantastically cast piece. Chabon gets carried away with certain themes and doesn’t know when to end a chapter sometimes. His influences seem to be Adlai Stevenson and William Faulkner -great thinkers to live by. I enjoyed Mysteries of Pittsburgh where, in the final paragraph, Chabon delivers stunning poignancy to Cleveland’s funeral:

“When I remember that dizzy summer, that dull, stupid, lovely, dire summer, it seems that in those days I ate my lunches, smelled another’s skin, noticed a shade of yellow, even simply sat, with greater lust and hopefulness – and that I lusted with greater faith, hoped with greater abandon. The people I loved were celebrities, surrounded by rumour and fanfare; the places I sat with them, movie lots and monuments. No doubt all of this is not true remembrance but the ruinous work of nostalgia, which obliterates the past, and no doubt, as usual, I have exaggerated everything.”

Whilst Chabon’s writing lacks some economy and would benefit from decisive excision, I think he can be forgiven. Never relaxing his vigilance (and attending to ephemera), his characters are often charming and heroic, sparring with witty rejoinders and reactivating their personalities through pain, fear and quirkiness resulting in a pressure cooker fit to burst.

Through Chabon’s emotional investment, paragraphs can come together perfectly. He doesn’t favour pretty hand-holding Valentines but shows how love involves ploughing all of your available emotional and psychological resources into a bubbling concoction.

He’s not averse to delving into the mind’s dusty recesses. I like that a lot. An underestimated writer by some.

And ‘Valentine’s’ Day approaches. Regards, puro.

Anonymous @

@ichabod I think it’s The Collector?

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion — Wasn’t “The Collector” the one with — was it Terrence Stamp as the kid who kidnaps a woman in his van and keeps her locked up so he can admire her?  Wonderful, creeeeeppyyyy movie.  Hmmmm.   Maybe not Stamp; but I can’t remember Stamp at all in his young days on film — too beautiful in that slightly feotal, youthie way, made no impression on me.   But now that he’s seasoned out into something *truly* beautiful, he’s a joy to watch — “The Limey” is wonderful.  Also, to return to SF, in “The Adjustment Bureau”.  His face is not expressive, as Capaldi’s is; doesn’t need to be.  With Stamp, I just want to stare as if his face were some rare mask from the wilds of Peru or Old Europe.

Well, I have this, uh, this thing about beautiful old guys; it feels related, somehow, to the Japanese aesthetic called “wabi sabi”, meaning a  meditative appreciation of beat-up, battered objects as opposed to the new and shiny.  I am a natural wabi sabist.  Give me the rusty whatnot over the brand-new version from the hardware store, every single time.  I would make a lousy Time Lord — control is not my thing.  I don’t even believe in the reality of control, actually.  I am a Time aficionado, maybe.  I gravitate toward the march and the marks of time.  Yeah, Michael Gambon in “Fortitutde” is another — what a crease-fest of a face, what a shambling wreck of a frame!  I just go all melty and smile like a fond idiot, it’s absurd.  Women too — Ursula LeGuin is utterly gorgeous in her old age (80’s now, brain scalpel sharp and tongue gives no quarter to idiots).

Oh, off-topic (movies, not TV series), and it’s late here . . . time to toddle.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@ichabod — it’s a while ago now but I think at the time Sea of Souls was broadcast as two full series and then a third series of a couple of extended filmic one-offs.

Here’s a question for the Buffiandos — Does the expression ‘Bite me’ originate from Buffy or was it something that existed beforehand?

ichabod @ichabod

@jimthefish — okay, got it.

Loved “Kavalier and Clay”, Chabon’s first big hit.  I was one of the kids who bought the comics in those heady days of wild expansion in the industry . . .

@jimthefish

‘Bite me’

I think it was in general use (it was certainly used in an early West Wing). I think it was just Valley Speak.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@pedant — according to the interwebs (so it must be true) it’s been in common currency since the 1950s. I was never really aware of it until Buffy though and it seems to so appr0priate to the show that it made wonder if they came up with it. Apparently not tho….

@jimthefish

I know (by which I mean “was discussed in the Usenet days”) Whedon thought he had coined “wiggins” in whichever Buffy episode it was first used (possible WTTH) – but Alicia Silverstone used it in Clueless two years earlier.

I think there were probably a lot of people tossing around such Valley Speak (sometimes called Dawson Speak, for Dawson’s Creek) and a few  got traction. I suspect ‘bite me’ is the most notable (probably alongside “as if”, but much more durable).

My personal favourite (I don’t think used in Buffy) remains “It’s was really very.”

Oi! @purofilion! Get watching!

DiscoStupac @discostupac

@lisa
    The show you are looking for is Psychoville, I believe, from the gloriously twisted minds of Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith.
    If you liked that, you should also check out The League of Gentlemen, a previous series from the same creative minds plus Who and Sherlock’s own Mark Gatiss as well as Jeremy Dyson (who didn’t appear on screen unlike the other three)

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,007 total)

The topic ‘General Open Thread – TV Shows’ is closed to new replies.