On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 49 posts - 901 through 949 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Whyhow @whyhow

I know this is a bit late (from the beginning), and someone may have already said it, but does the machine that goes ding still boil eggs properly?

Potatohead @potatohead

Since it says on the front page “stop by and say hello” -so; Hello! I’m one of those really rare animals: A Swedish Dovtor Who fan. Although I’m noticing there are more and more of us out there thanks to the new series. I started out with the classic stories, though.

janetteB @janetteb

Hello and welcome to the forum. (I lived in Stockholm for 14 months. A most beautiful city in a wonderful country. It was there that we watched the first series of nu Who)

Cheers

Janette

Potatohead @potatohead

Hi janetteB 🙂

Thanks for the welcome. The Who you saw while in Stockholm, was it the first season of the new batch (Eccleston & Piper)? Unfortunately it was the only one aired in Sweden, apart from reruns of classic who up to the Davison era on a TV channel devoted solely to older TV favourites. It seems, however, that more and more Swedes are discovering Who now, both the new and old.

Anonymous @

Happy Easter 🙂

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox  that above is very special and funny. What Easter doth bringeth! I see it brought your head some chicks?

Kindest,  puro

Anonymous @

Oh cripes, I now realise @fatmaninabox that my last comment could be read in some eer…odd ways. Red with embarrassment.

And happy Easter to you…. Kindest.    🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Sorry I’ve not been about – unexpected family visit. I shall turf them out later today and be back to listen to some music and comment on Mind Robber.

Just to hope everyone’s having a splendid Bank Holiday.

@fatmaninabox

That’s an egg-cellent picture. Come on people, it’s Easter! No lame egg related humour? Are we all feeling ill? 🙂

IanMD @ianmd

Hi guys! Im new here. Anybody know where doctor who convention is going on? Id love to attend one

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    The Chicks have The Tardis! by MiskatonicNick
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/toyville/

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

Come on people, it’s Easter! No lame egg related humour? Are we all feeling ill? 🙂

Yup. I’ll be happy if I never see another egg for as long as I live ( or at least until next year 😉 ). And who thought that chocolate and Ritz crackers was a good idea?  Bleurgh!

Anonymous @

@ianmd

I never thought I’d say this but Twitter is your friend!

Sign up and follow various Who related actors. They regularly tweet about any upcoming conventions or other personal appearances (Katy Manning, Sylvester McCoy, Louise Jameson and Simon Fisher-Becker are good choices).

Also, try and find out the various companies that organise conventions in your country and, if they have a Twitter account, follow them as well.

All you need to do then is sit back, relax and let them tell you (and they will, frequently 😉 )

Final tip – beware fake accounts ! Genuine ‘celebrity’ accounts should have a blue tick next to their username. David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi are not on Twitter.

Hope this helps.

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox – Lovin your chicks, man, very fetching!

And useful advice about Twitter (The David Tennant Forum (@DTForum) is a pretty good substitute for DT and seem pretty well informed on many things Who related)

And greetings and welcome to @potatohead and @ianmd

Right, am off to dig into the chocolate bunnies 🙂

Happy Easter everyone

Anonymous @

@scaryb

I always was a bit of a chick magnet 🙂

@ianmd

You should also follow @BBCDoctorWho – they occasionally tweets about conventions/PAs.

Anonymous @

egg jokes? I remember an ad campaign in the UK some while back: “go to work on an egg. Same old yoke”

Whisht @whisht

Soufflé recipe taken from the Dalek Cookbook:

Carefully prepare ramekins with lightly brushed butter and pinch of sugar.
    Chill ramekins in fridge.
    Separate egg whites from yolks.
    Stir for 8 mins
    Kill everyone.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed together, the chicken turns to the egg and says “I guess we’ve finally worked out who came first”

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

ValG @valg

My post will go a bit away from Easter =)

I have an idea for a university project and it is Dr Who related. Some of you guys might have visited Cardiff  (UK) for Dr Who experience…

What if “Tardis trail” was created in a town that offers Dr Who experience?  Imagine a number of decorated Tardis statues in Cardiff (UK) at points of interest, attractions, shops or locations used within Dr Who filming and see if it helps to promote inbound tourism.

Tardis trail

Please fill a 1-minute survey and tell me what you think:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Uk4koF3251QTOU6DyYXlKyuBQEaejigQN14rNSpfblg/viewform

Much appreciated

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@valg – welcome – and congratulations on creating a genuinely short survey!

What’s the difference between ‘built heritage’ and ‘cultural heritage’?

ValG @valg

@bluesqueakpip

Thank you!

Built heritage is buildings, monuments and etc… Cultural heritage is more about museums, history, folk and so on. Hope this helps.

AmandaMichelle @amandamichelle

Hello! I’m new to this forum business and not very computer savvy but I hope a few people can see this and help me. I’m doing an anthropological study of Doctor Who and it’s impact on pop culture. If a few Whovians could answer my questions that would be brilliant 🙂

What does the show mean to you, what changes has it made to your life (if any), how is this show different from others in the sci-fi genre, what makes it so unique in your eyes? Thanks and hello 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/04/bafta-caption-competition-220417185517.html

BAFTA has launched a competition in which somebody can win two tickets to this year’s TV Awards by submitting a caption for a photo that includes a Dalek.
    z

1947 British Film Festival with William Hartnell…

Separated at birth?
    z
    Nelvana design of K-9 for unmade Dr Who cartoon.

z

Wildcat robot

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

Surely one of the veterans of your Caption Competition could come up trumps with the Bafta comp….

Whisht @whisht

its a fair point @jimthefish – I was wondering if it would be a good or terrible idea to suggest creating a Crazy Captions using that photo.

I mean, fun for us but would it be gutting if someone not on the forum used the same caption to win?

I mean, if “Are you Soufflé Girl?” won, would I shake my fist at the stars*?

(* for me, no, I can’t make it, but it’d be nice if I could donate it to someone here if it did win!)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@whisht

It is hard coming up with a caption when the personality is completely unknown (to me) and the picture does not have any of the laugh-out-loud appeal of @wolfweed ‘s crazy caption images.

But since I discovered she is a food writer, the best I could manage was “Eggs-terminate”

I know…feeble.

Whisht @whisht

I know @blenkinsopthebrave ,you and me both.

soufflés, eggs, stirring-for-8-mins… not sure what other territories are open for this one.

“Mary photobombs the Dalek invasion” is hardly funny.

Just shows how good @wolfweed‘s crazy captions are.

Whisht @whisht

For those of you needing a fix of Capaldi, here’s a video of him on the Guardian website (remember that? the ol’ mothership) talking about Surrealist art.
    He didn’t write it (though his background is as a painter) but its short and slightly amusing.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/video/2014/apr/23/peter-capaldi-surrealist-art-sex-video

To be honest, I’m not much of a fan of the Surrealists. I wish he’d done it on the Cubists.

Why?
    [ahem, waiting for a call so gonna go off on one… this may not be strictly correct, but sod it its close enough for a Thursday]

Well, for the Cubists the question was “How do you represent 3 dimensions on a 2-dimensional plane?”.
    Usually this meant using perspective, light and shadow etc to trick the eye into thinking its seeing a landscape or bowl of fruit.
    However their genius (Picasso and Braque with maybe Eintstein’s influence?) was to realise that in life, 3 dimensions are only appreciated when the 4th dimension is experienced.
    It was all about Time.

Experiencing Time allows one to to walk around an object and see it from different angles. Reality is not ‘flat’, but you only know that because you can move around and interact with objects ie Space-Time.

This conceptual breakthrough led to the ‘fractured’ paintings, where multiple planes/ angles are shown on in a single painting, to give a ‘sense’ of an experience of an object.
    You the viewer are moving in Time around the violin and bowl of fruit.

3 dimensions represented on a 2 dimensional surface (a painting) by appreciating the 4th dimension – Time.

Now that would be interesting to hear Capaldi speaking about.

Anonymous @

@whisht  you are an art-hound!  Well, well, well!!  I had ‘met’ the cubists for the first time in France. My parents just went “yuck” and found something else to look at. I never knew the history behind their philosophy so thank you. I just knew that the bold colours and lines were very interesting and it was easy to get lost in the combination of colour, space and line. I liked it a lot but I was never sure why. And Braque (was he pronounced ‘Brack’?),  I don’t think I’ve heard his name in 20 years. God, I need to pick up a book sometime.

On time, those in the military speak about that other dimension of ‘time’ as well as distance, firepower and strength.

Time is the easiest thing to forget to calibrate and thus causes more “losses” or so they say. I dunno, really!

Kindest, puro.

janetteB @janetteb

There was a faded Picasso print on the wall above the sofa in our house in Sweden. I spent many hours looking at it when bedridden. It really came to life over that time. Cubism is meant to be looked at for a long time and from many angles so yes I agree there is something “Whoish” about it. Not bigger on the inside but many angles and facets are depicted in one flat 2d image.

Cheers

Janette

Whisht @whisht

hey @Purofilion @janetteb – to be honest I’m with you both.

For me the paintings are there to be stared at rather than ‘got’ necessarily, and I usually react viscerally to stuff. And then I fall back on my chin-stroking/ pondering pseud habits!

btw I really shouldn’t have hit “Submit” on that post about cubism when I did – loads of typos/ errant sentences. And that was one splurge that needed a bit more care (Time is a bugger for me to express properly – when we were discussing Time and the vagueries of fixed points etc, I could never write clearly enough to express myself!).

ah well…

Arbutus @arbutus

@janetteb

Well, in fact it is bigger on the inside in a way, because the artist is opening up an object to a variety of points of view, thus taking up more space. Or maybe this is actually bigger on the outside?   🙂

I’m with @whisht on preferring cubism to surrealism. Partly because I find the aesthetic more visually interesting, with its bold planes and textures. Like @purofilion, I tend to experience art in a purely visceral way, so the intellectual philosophy behind the work doesn’t really hold my attention. (I did slog through an art history survey years ago as part of my degree, and did very badly, although in the long term, I still find myself remembering things I heard in that class when I encounter art and architecture in my travels today. So grades aren’t everything, right?  🙂 )

Puro, you remind me of the time, some years ago, that we took our six-year-old son through the Picasso museum in Paris. His preferred viewing style at the time was to charge through a place without much time wasting, absorbing things very quickly and then coming out at the end and saying, “That was great!” However, we came to one room which contained a bench in front of a large collage, a massive and very complex piece. It literally stopped him in his tracks. He sat down on that bench and stared at it for ages. It was the longest time he had ever spent looking at a single work of art (it may still hold the record!).

Anonymous @

@arbutus  my goodness!  I know that Picasso museum and I think I know the bench and the painting. We have never met but in a different time, at the same place, our echoes have touched!  I’ve been to that museum many times and enjoyed it. I say sometimes that compared to Prague and Salzburg, Paris isn’t impressive, but I lie. The art is gorgeous and the museums, particularly the Rodin museum, with its garden and secret passageways behind Napoleon’s tomb is superb. My fav art, I’m not sure I have one: cubists yes, impressionists definitely…even the German and Scandinavian art of the enlightenment is wonderful too in its way. Kindest, puro.  Off to garden. I’ve 25 lettuces to put down and some radish and fennel.

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

Okay @purofilion was asking if I was still about, and that reminded me I hadn’t posted here in ages. Sorry for my absence folks… I got distracted; which included watching a half-marathon of ‘The Muppet Show’. I say half-marathon as seasons four and five have not been released on DVD yet… which is ridiculous… anyhow, before I start ranting about that… what about Doctor Who? Well I’ve had to be careful with money recently so haven’t been working on my DVD collection, same goes for my Seventh Doctor cosplay… but I do at least have my paisley scarf now.

So what’s been going on then?

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht
    Great arty post. Love it. I was into surrealists first, cubists came later for me; Braque, I think, was the first one that really hit me, then I discovered a whole new way of looking at the world. I know Dali tends to be dismissed sometimes (partly his own fault!) but I had the privilege of seeing an exhibition of his paintings a few years back and they are very immpressive in real life, even the ones you don’t “see” any more because they are so overused.

ScaryB @scaryb

And I wholeheartedly agree with @blenkinsopthebrave and @whisht on the quality of @wolfweed‘s Crazy Captions. (The only reason I don’t comment on them more is that others are so sharp! But I still love them and the comments – all invariably laugh out loud funny)

Anonymous @

@monochromedimension mainly, on the Music thread we’ve been discussing all sorts of genres: @arbutus referred to one as ‘cosmic jazz’ which is extremely clever. We’ve  compared KD Lang’s version of Hallelujah with John Cale’s and the original (of course) and On The Sofa, well, quite a bit of red wine has changed hands! Welcome Back to you and the paisley scarf. Kindest, puro.

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion   We have never met but in a different time, at the same place, our echoes have touched!

What a lovely, Whovian thought.   🙂

Oh, the garden, lovely. I’ve got lettuces, arugula, and peas going in this week. I’m a little behind time, but like most years, when the sun shines, I can’t get into the garden, and when I have the time, it rains! But I do love to watch it all grow, and grumble about the cool spring and the slugs and so forth. In the spring it tends to be fairly wet and cold until quite late, and then suddenly it turns warm and dry, and my garden faces south, so it becomes a Mediterranean kind of situation. It creates interesting dilemmas some years. But I keep at it, connecting with my farmer ancestors.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Evening all. Woo-who, final part of Mind Robber tonight. Which makes me consider where we are with our next choice, which would be for Pertwee.

After flirting with Inferno (which I suggested may take the latest retrospective into new series with Peter Capaldi territory), my count of votes is something like this:

The Daemons @jimthefish @wolfweed @blenkinsopthebrave
    Day of the Daleks @janetteb @bluesqueakpip

So, if I’ve misattributed any vote let me know, or if you haven’t voted on an episode to do Mr. Pertwee justice give us your vote (for any story) now. We’ll make sure the decision is tomorrow night, which will give everyone an idea for next week.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

@phaseshift I vote for Inferno.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – I’d be inclined to go with Day of the Daleks simply as I’ve yet to see JP handle the malevolent pepperpots.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@thekrynoidman @fatmaninabox

Done and done. All other nominations gratefully received.

I think I made an error in my last post, because I think I should have put @bluesqueakpip as a tentative for Day of the Daleks. I don’t think the choice was that clear in the posts, so I’ll leave it until I receive instructions.

Inferno @thekrynoidman
    The Daemons @jimthefish @wolfweed @blenkinsopthebrave
    Day of the Daleks @janetteb @bluesqueakpip @fatmaninabox
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@phaseshift – I think I’ll make Day of the Daleks a definite, simply because I can happily witter on about time loops and alternate time-lines…

… which may make everyone want to change their votes, of course. To The Daemons. 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Oh, we love time loops and your explanations. As long as you do a diagram! 😀

I haven’t cast a vote because I wanted to see where voting takes us, and I’m sure @craig wouldn’t mind casting a deciding vote (barks evil laugh).

I did think of suggesting any other companion than Jo as the stories we’ve had this time have been augmented by different companions (the clever Vicki and Zoe for one and two), but I suddenly realised if that became a rule it might land us in Bonnie Langford territory for Sylvester, and that way madness lies.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@phaseshift

Happy with any of them. (oh, well, maybe The Daemons) But then, Inferno…what a great story! with an evil version of…oops, spoilers!

No, any of them are great.

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

Happy Star Wars Day

May The 4th Be With You

wolfweed @wolfweed
    ScaryB @scaryb

Oops, I seem to have missed the vote deadline, but any of the suggestions for Pertwee is fine with me. Maybe day of the Daleks as I’ve seen Daemons more recently, but both lead into AG themes (and diagram possibilities 🙂 ) really well. Ah, and yes, Inferno. (Just so long as no Bonnie L!)

Anonymous @

Just a note that this topic is now closed as it was nearing the 1000 post limit.

You can visit the continuation of this topic here

Viewing 49 posts - 901 through 949 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.