On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

This is a place to congregate, somewhere to “hang out”. It’s a topic for general chat about anything you want, and a place for new members to pop in and say “hello” without worrying about making any real contribution (we know that your first post can sometimes feel daunting). We’d love to hear from you all. We’re very friendly.

This is a continuation of the previous On The Sofa thread which was nearing its maximum posting limit.

Anonymous @

@MartyB @wolfweed @blenkinsopthebrave and anyone on Twitter,

Peter Davison (@PeterDavison5) gives details on some of the deleted scenes. Fingers crossed that FishDR (and the deleted scenes) gets released on the DVD for TDoTD.

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

::looks round the new spic and span sofa::

You’ve been redecorating I see…

😉

(VERY impressed)

re the DVD for DotD – unless they’re bringing out a new special edition, there are very few extras on it, tho there is the McGann prequel. Missed op IMHO (The FMiaB version sounds much more interesting, I reckon). Thanks for the heads-up re Davison’s extra scenes

Anonymous @

@scaryb

As pretty as it was, all that glitter you were dropping just had to go 🙂

And I meant the Christmas Special DVD 😳 All this ” ‘something’ Of The Doctor ” is getting confusing!

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

Forgive me, thedoctorwhoforum, for I have lurked. It’s been 7-and-a-bit months since my last communication.
    I’ve read quite a few references to lurkers here. My favourite was, I think, just before the 50th. Forgive me (again), I’ve forgotten who wrote it. But @author-of-said-post, you made me laugh. A lot. With a mouth full of tea.
    The post in question painted a picture of forum members in the pub. In the real world. Having fun, chatting about all things Who …
    …And outside, in the shadows, the Furtive Ones listening at the window.

It’s funny because it’s true. Us lurkers are quite sinister really.

I haven’t been stalking you every day since May or anything. I did an all-too-brief bit of joining in months ago, and I intended to make a regular thing of it. But I drifted away. Moved house, changed jobs, that sort of thing. It’s a reason, not an excuse. (Or perhaps it’s an excuse.)
    I just want you to know that, when I offered my own bit of bonkers theorising, I felt very welcome and I felt that my contribution was appreciated and valued.

I came back to the forum in the run-up to November 23rd, read lots of wonderful bonkers theories and wild (and/or prescient) speculation,  and loved it. I also saw what good friends you have become, how much has happened and how much you have shared. You really have created a lovely and rather special place on the internet. I don’t see any reason why anyone should feel deterred from contributing if they want to.

For my part, I have a habit of busying myself with things I don’t particularly want to do, at the expense of things I might enjoy. (Contributing on here being something I know I would enjoy.) I’d like to resolve to join in a bit more in the new year.

I’ve thought of more that I could say, but I don’t want to make this overly long.

Just a big thank you from a silent (but definitely not sinister) lurker.
    x

Anonymous @

Hello @idiotsavon , welcome back 🙂

I’ve moved your post here as ‘the sofa’ is best place for a cosy chat and get’s more visitors and stands a better chance of being read.

Just a big thank you from a silent (but definitely not sinister) lurker.

And I hope you’re not a ‘Silent’ either 😮

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox @juniperfish

As pretty as it was, all that glitter you were dropping just had to go

::stamps foot and looks hurt::

Wasn’t me! I’m a victim.  It was that bow tied doppelganger-obsessed fish… in the alternate timestream of  Sofa 3!  Not my fault it cascades out of my fur every time I move!

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/on-the-sofa-3/page/19/#post-22844

@idiotsavon

Welcome back any time you feel the urge!

Us lurkers are quite sinister really…

Well I’m certainly not going to argue with a cyberhead in Santa-hat! 😀

CraigNixon @craignixon

Hahaha, the Lurker at the Threshold indeed!

I lurk as I can’t usually add anything to the conversation. Never stops me at work like.

Anonymous @

There’s a lovely blog called ‘Five Rounds Rapid’ which started earlier today on WordPress. Only two pages at present in which the author talks about his earliest memories of DW and a project to compile a complete, digital collection of BG Who.

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/

Anonymous @

@idiotsavon
    @craignixon

Lurkers are usually shy.  Fearful of contributing if they think their contributions won’t be equal to what they’re reading.  I know that’s how I felt.

I saw some people sign up who then dove straight into the deep end of the pool with fairly spectacular dive sequences (@purofilion @arbutus I’m looking at you kids), and it gave me courage to don my metaphorical swim trunks myself.  My contributions have hardly been great literature so far – I blame work commitments which have thankfully eased for a month or so.  But the warm welcome I’ve had made it very worthwhile.  (Thank you everyone.)

I think it was @whisht who made that ‘lurkers outside the pub comment’.  I’ve tried searching for it to confirm that but I can’t find anything.  Perhaps Whisht can step forward – if it was indeed he who made your tea-snorting comment?

And don’t forget – lurkers add to the analytics of a site simply by virtue of accessing and reading pages.  A different kind of contribution to posting comments, but a contribution all the same.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

Major fail, that costume on Eccleston.  The Clown Suit just doesn’t work for me, for him.

But McGann?  He carries it off, especially with his current haircut and not that wig he so hated for The Movie.

Who is that pictured with C Baker?

Arbutus @arbutus

@MartyB

You are too kind! As I explained at the time, I was of course pulled into the pool by the urge to express my admiration for the most scholarly and diagrammatic work of @bluesqueakpip. Once in the water, of course, you have to keep swimming! I have enjoyed your posts as well; nice front crawl.  🙂

I think it was @whisht who made that ‘lurkers outside the pub comment’.

I was also delighted with that image, being one of the lurkers. I was peering in the window very wistfully at that point, wishing you all the best in your real world meetup, and wishing I had an entry pass!

Arbutus @arbutus

@wolfweed

The expressions on the faces of Eccleston and McGann are somehow entirely appropriate to each. Eccleston is asking, very confidently, “You got a problem with it?” McGann, on the other hand, looks like my cat when he misses the windowsill: “Just shut up.”

Anonymous @

@arbutus

The reason I remember (I think?) @whisht as the source of that comment is because I was like you, outside the window at that time.  What would I have to do to gain entrance?  I had empty pockets and no magical theories.  A love of Doctor Who, of course.  But not as deep nor as knowledgeable as anyone here.

And I spent a few days in utter fury that I hadn’t seen that Leela theory.  Of course, the Doctor took the fall for her, because she was a warrior and he (at that time, several decades before The Night of the Doctor) was not yet a warrior.

:: shakes fist at sky :: Why can’t I think of these theories in time?  😀

And your thoughts on the Clown Suit on Eccleston and McGann are wonderful.  Eccleston is, yes, sublimely confident and McGann is daring you, daring you as the viewer, to say something that won’t make him miss the cat-tray when he next feels the need.

ScaryB @scaryb

@arbutus @MartyB

Extremely well remembered, it was indeed @whisht

great post – http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/on-the-sofa-3/page/9/#post-19831

@wolfweed

Where do you find all that stuff?!  I never cease to be amazed 🙂 (Is it photoshopped? Did they all take turns to pose in the suit? Have to say Matt’s the only one that really carries it off 😀 )

Whisht @whisht

:$

erm…. yeah… erm…. it was me.

[embarrassed “ta”]

btw that Leela theory was just me making up something bonkers as an example for the gag… its just that as I was forming it, it seemed to make bonkers sense!

😳

soundworld @soundworld

@MartyB :: shakes fist at sky :: Why can’t I think of these theories in time?

I know!  You lot are all so inventive with madcap speculation and erudite knowledge, as he-who-lurked for many months it was hard to take the plunge, especially as a new recruit to the Dr (Tennant onwards).  The challenge now is to keep swimming.  Work/life/etc can make it hard to keep up – I had some great ideas (OK, at the time it seemed so) when I first joined, but then I had a lot of work on, and by the time I could come back here  a few months later, it was all a bit late.  Its fantastic fun to read through the threads though, and I do hope to keep up to date from here-on.

wolfweed @wolfweed

7 days ’til Xmas!

z
    z

@MartyB – That’s X Factor winner Sam Bailey with Colon Baker…

@scaryb – It’s photoshopped (not by me btw)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

It’s a good job DFS have a policy of having a sale on every day of the year, because we do seem to get through Sofa’s pretty quickly.

Did anyone remember to check down behind the cushions when the old one was retired?

I’ve had a shit day, but have managed to break the Christmas shop. I will not be going anywhere till the New Year. Every place I went into seemed to have Wings “Wonderful Christmas Time” on loop. Guantanamo Bay could learn a lot from our retailers. I would have confessed to the JFK assassination to make it stop, and I wasn’t even born then.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@phaseshift

I knew that my Kennedy assassination theory was correct…deny it as you may…

janetteB @janetteb

@MartyB I loved your comment re’ McGann and Ecclestone in the hideous costume. The former pulls it off but the later just is wrong, wrong, wrong. I think because although he does have cat that missed the tray look (all hail the mighty @arbutus. (nice to have another cat person about)) he  can play the clown whereas Ecclestone can’t. He looks a little sleazy.

@phaseshift, You are fortunate to have completed your Christmas shopping duties. We have barely started, apart from rather too many sonic screwdrivers and a tardis beach towel. Santa will be delivering an IOU this year. (well there have been more funding cuts at the NOrth POle, and due to his habitual disorganisation the orders weren’t put in early enough for certain highly desirable electronic items and thus the supply did not meet demands and those items will be delivered by elves doing overtime after the festive season which of course will blow out the year’s budget and given that more cuts are inevtiable it seems that Christmas 2014 might be cancelled, unless of course, the good Doctor, whom we all know really is Santa or at least one of his advisers, steps in. A thought maybe Gallifrey is hidden at the North POle. That would explain the entire Santa mystery. I have long assumed that the sleigh is a Tardis and for Santa to have lived so long he must be a time lord and he clearly is not bound to the standard rules of time. (Sorry I’m rambling. Anything to avoid Christmas cards.)

Cheers

‘Janette

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

What’s taking them so long to release the Underwater Menace DVD? Part 2 was found in 2011, they’ve had two years to release it. I know it’s not the most highly regarded story, but it’s the only surviving episode that has not had any kind of commercial release.

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman

I remember reading (but can’t remember where, sorry) that part 2 is tentatively scheduled for release sometime during 2014.

Three years between finding and releasing it may seem a long time but I suppose it depends on how much restoration had to be done. My understanding of ‘Enemy’ and ‘Web’ is that they didn’t need much work done on them, so the BBC were able to release them fairly quickly.

Anonymous @

Thanks for the reminder @phaseshift. I’ve been busy promoting the forum (waves ‘hello’ to @fiveroundsrapid) and it slipped my mind.

Found down the back of the old sofa (farewell old friend 🙁 ) …

• A big red button
    • A blue bowtie
    • Several used hankies (I hope those are tear stains!)
    • A hat stand
    • A copy of  ‘Moderating For Dummies’ and ‘Tea-leaf Reading For Dummies’ (ah, that’s where I left them 😀 )
    • Glitter
    • Fur balls
    • A ‘Vengeance On Varos’ DVD (the version without special features)
    • Assorted John Barrowman CD’s
    • Assorted John Barrowman DVD’s
    • John Barrowman
    • 2 stale, half eaten Jammy Dodgers
    • 3 coffee filters (used)
    • 11 cocktail umbrellas
    • 1 machine that goes ‘ding’ (broken)
    • 9 teaspoons
    • 6 pairs of 3D glasses
    • 3 tickets to see Colin Baker in panto at The Anvil Theatre, Basingstoke)
    • Assorted coinage totalling £17.15
    • An electricity generator (@Thommck – I’ve found it! Any chance of those batteries back? 😉 ) (Sorry @all, it’s a ‘twitter’ thing)

Any items unclaimed by 19:00 on Friday 20th will be auctioned and the proceeds donated to @MartyB ‘s ‘Head-box Renovation’ project.

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

Don’t know if this is right place to post but I noticed something strange last night while watching torchwood miricle day…

there is a character cakes Oswald Danes and Clara’s last name is Oswald strange connection I know but I’ve only just worked it out

thommck @thommck

Very comfortable, thanks @fatmaninabox. I brought the batteries here as spares for the TV remote 😉

TARDIS Sofa
    Time And Relative Dimensions In Sofa

ScaryB @scaryb

@thommck

Brilliant sofa 😀 (Want one!!)

@janetteb

I feel your frustration! But agree with your long held suspicion that Santa is indeed a Time Lord 😉 (unless Roddy Doyle was right in Rover Saves Christmas (one of funniest books I’ve read, great for kids and adults (tricky at bedtime though))

Anonymous @

@thommck

I’ll second what @scaryb said. Is that yours?

ScaryB @scaryb

::sneaks back in to brush flecks of @juniperfish‘s space-glitter off the sofa before @fatmaninabox notices (haha he’s probably too busy playing with John Barrowman 😉 ) ::

thommck @thommck

@fatmaninabox No, not mine, just a quick image search!
    Here’s another, although it could do with some of @englishmaninnc wife’s cushions on it

Anonymous @

@scaryb

(haha he’s probably too busy playing with John Barrowman 😉 ) ::

There’s no chance of that happening. JB spotted a mirror and he seems quite content flirting with himself 😆

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox

Thanks for chugging for the new box project.  🙂   Your list of found items made me laugh out loud.

@thommck

I want that first sofa, very much.  Sounds like I’ll have to fight @scaryb for it though.  Maybe as a fellow ‘B’ she’ll agree a time-share plan.

@phaseshift

I spent yesterday Christmas shopping too.  But blissfully online.  I don’t envy your mental state after that many hours listening to Wings, I probably would’ve confessed to hiring Colin Baker to be Doctor Who myself, and furthermore writing his Let’s Strangle Peri scene.

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@thommck, calling dibs on the second sofa. It’s MY color.

@fatmaninabox and @phaseshift,
    Any sign of 10 Time Lords a leaping during your cleaning and shopping? My true love promised them to me, but I’m worried they’re time locked.

TardisBlue

Anonymous @

Hello @fatmaninabox … Are those *my* teaspoons?  I just started here but you made me part of the sofa!  😀  You made me very happy.

Hello @thommck … I think that Tardis sofa looks really good.  I wonder if those people made it themselves or got someone else to make it.  (I mean the first picture not the second one.  I don’t like the second one, it looks like something in a Doctor Who grandparents house.  Where you have to sit up straight and balance your teacup on your knee, and when you get up there’s a little squelch noise because your legs have stuck to the sofa.

thommck @thommck

@theferret Yes the first one looks a lot more comfy. A woman made it from an old sofa, with a little help from her boyfriend. You can see the before and after pic here http://imgur.com/gallery/mKMDf

Anonymous @

Thank you @thommck.  I want to know how they got the Police Public Call Box stripe for the sides and where they got the pillows.  But thank you for posting the link.  I can ask them myself.

Lunch hour ended two hours ago.  I have to pretend to work for a few more days.  All this typing makes me look very busy but I sit in the corner so no-one comes behind my desk to see what I’m really doing.  🙂

Anonymous @

@TheFerret

Judging by the amount of dust on them, I think they’ve been there for a while but as no-one else has claimed them, they’re now yours 🙂

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Christmas viewing (aside from Doctor Who):

Over in Doctor Who News the wonderful @wolfweed posted a link to Mark Gatiss’s directorial debut at 9.30pm. It is an adaptation of the ghost story “The Tractate Middoth” by M.R. James. It is followed by a documentary on James, hosted by Gatiss.

As many of you know, the is something of a Christmas tradition of screening adaptations of James’s ghost stories. Indeed, the 2010 adaptation of “Whistle and I’ll Come to You”, staring John Hurt, was one of the creepiest ghost stories I have ever seen.

For those of you who don’t know the work of M.R. James, he was an English scholar whose ghost stories are brilliant and should be required reading.

I know you will all be online after the screening of Matt Smith’s farewell performance, but I strongly encourage everyone to tune in to “The Tractate Middoth” at 9.30. But be sure to put the kiddies to bed and turn the lights down low when you watch it. You may very well end up watching it from behind the sofa.

Typically, I, on the other hand (lost in the wilds of Canada) will have to wait for the DVD of everything you get to see that night!

janetteB @janetteb

I am looking forward to The ‘Tractate Middoth.” I didn’t know about “Whistle and I’ll Come to You”. I will have to hunt it down.

@thommck. Love that first sofa. The second is fun but I could not imagine anyone actually having that in their living room. The first would look good as a piece of furniture.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave @janetteb

There’s the 1968 version of ‘Whistle and I’ll Come to You’, starring Michael Horden on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4MAzQiTxE

Being made in ’68 and, presumably, a low budget forced the Visual Effects Dept to do something quite inventive with a plastic bag for the scene on the beach. Trust me, the resulting ‘FX’ shot is a lot creepier than it sounds.

Debs @debs

As Chistmas is coming!!!!!!! 😀

Anonymous @

@debs

I was actually starting to get a bit misty-eyed (must be the dishwasher vodka kicking in 😉 ) but the last scene induced a mighty belly-laugh. 😀

Debs @debs

@fatmaninabox  Definitely!!!! 😀

Ahahahahahhaha !!! 😀

janetteB @janetteb

Poor Dalek. Must be so hard trying to decorate a tree with a sink plunger. No wonder they are so irritable.

Cheers

Janette

CraigNixon @craignixon

I think the irratability comes from Oswald Dalek not turning Carmen off and constantly harping on about her Souffle.

Theres always one irrating relative at Christmas!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Just a quick note of explanation about something. You may have noticed a “Guest Blogger” identity has been set up and hosted @nick s thoughts on the Day of the Doctor Time Line.

Basically it’s just another way of creating blogs for anyone who is interested in writing something. If you look at the list of blogs it covers some fairly wide territory, and not just on Doctor Who, so if you’ve ever wanted to give a point-of-view on Doctor Who, talk about other television shows, films, books, fanfictions or whatever. you can send us your text and any pictures. This way you don’t particularly have to worry about learning the blog tools (which aren’t very different to normally commentating, but if you want formatting beyond the normal it can be useful to know some HTML code) and just on what you want to say.

Contact a mod if you’ve got an idea and want to learn more.

Whisht @whisht

Just a bit of Friday fun

Its not quite a bonker’s theory generator but… a few of them made me chuckle.

🙂

Anonymous @

@whisht – thanks for that link. I stumbled across that a while ago but could never find it again (really need to start adding things to my favourites list).

Here’s a couple that made me smile…

A failsafe on the TARDIS console blows, sending her crashing towards the Voltaire Magnaplex, but something lurks menacingly. The time travellers unravel the mystery at the heart of the Judoon. The TARDIS telepathic link saves the day. Lady GaGa is revealed as a new incarnation of Rasillon.

and…

Aiming for the Scorpion Nebula, the Doctor instead lands on an abandoned spaceship, but the Sonic Screwdriver picks up a gravity anomaly. The time travellers uncover the secret of the last Zygons. A malfunction in the cooling system saves the day. One of the annoying kids that Clara is nanny to is the villain.

For some reason, Ringo Starr seems to crop up in a lot of them 😕

Anonymous @

@whisht

Brilliant, just brilliant.  To add to @fatmaninabox‘s selections …

A robot materialises inside the TARDIS, with a message from Traken, and they are soon caught up in adventure. Isolated from Clara, the Doctor goes on to uncover the secret of the last Judoon. The TARDIS saves the day. Sir Ian McKellen plays a character who is killed during the opening sequence.

The TARDIS loses power and strands the Doctor and Clara on an abandoned spaceship, but the Doctor is sure something is wrong. Doctor Who and his companion have tough choices to make about the Sea Devils. The Daleks appear, but end up caught in their own time rift. Kim Wilde kisses Clara.

Kim Wilde?  The Kids in America singer?  Pandering to the American audience, again.  😀

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.