On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    ABXY @abxy

@scaryb I have now cleared my schedule for the whole of the fortnight surrounding it, allowing for ample preperation before, and the inevitable terrible feels coma after.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Ooooh – well done @craig. Loving the countdown clock on the front page. T-56 and counting. It seems to have come round really quickly.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

So – Last call for Votes, and looking at first choices, the scores on the doors are currently:

VOTE DAVISON – VOTE FOR AN EPISODE FOR THE FIFTH!

Story (Episodes) Notes
    Kinda (4) @thekrynoidman @whisht
    The Visitation (4) @bluesqueakpip @phaseshift
    Earthshock (4) Null points
    The Arc of Infinity (4) Null points
    Enlightenment (4) Null points
    The Awakening (2) Black Orchid (2) @blenkinsopthebrave @janetteb @jimthefish @scaryb

Whisht @whisht

Hi – just to say that my “vote” as such was to go along with the majority.
    What I really liked about the process though was that everyone agreed that Kinda was such a classic, that I was going to watch it anyway. If I have any thoughts I’ll post on the Davison Faces of the Doctor thread (but in a non-spoilery way which may prove impossible, so maybe I won’t!).

Sorry KrynoidMan if this feels like me running to a different queue after Mike Reid shouts “Change!”*

*impossible to explain really and I can only find it happening at ~3:50 by which time shots of Metal Mickey will have infuriated Phase to such an extent he’ll ditch my vote anyway!

🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Miapatrick @miapatrick

Hello everyone, finally managed to get myself back here, very happy to see so many of the old faces, the slightly newer faces I had seen popping up via email updates, and completely new faces here. Right, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do…

Miapatrick @miapatrick

ooh, and Hitchhikers! used to have that recorded of TV (I suppose access to it via a forum is the modern equivalent of that…)

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick

Great to see you back

(The clock’s started and it’s counting down 🙂 )

ScaryB @scaryb

And a happy birthday to Ray Harryhausen (who would have been 94 today)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@scaryb thank you- and ooh, I know, I almost squealed a little at the clock. Good thing my boyfriend is away for a while, I would have dreaded a ‘what?’ at that point.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@scaryb

Yes, Ray Harryhausen. So many of the magical bits of my childhood are due to him.

And if there was ever proof that old-fashioned stop motion could be more scary than modern CGI, this has to be it:

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@phaseshift – do we have a winner for Peter Davison?

tensconverse @tensconverse

Hello everyone! I just joined this site 🙂 I’ve been a fan of Doctor Who for about two years now. I’ve seen all of the new who episodes more times than I can count, and I’m also watching Classic Who as well!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip – Apologies for the delay in responding. After a brief chat with @miapatrick on Sunday I lost internet connection, and was away earlier in the week.

Looking at the vote for Peter Davison, it’s the double bill of Black Orchid and The Awakening, which for those committed to collecting the DVDs means a (relatively) expensive four weeks.

Both are substantially cheaper at the BBC shop. Black Orchid is on its own – £6.49

As you pointed out – spurious partnership of the millennium goes to a box set of The Awakening with the First Doctors The Gunfighters, the Earth Story box set is £9.49.

Perhaps as payback to those citizens of the Forum who invest, we could demand The Gunfighters as the next Hartnell serial? Over its four weeks we could partner it up with A Town called Mercy and look at other sci-fi cowboys (Red Dwarf Gunmen of the Apocalypse, an ep of Firefly, etc) to produce a rootin-tootin lower-than-a-rattlesnake retrospective in January?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

On the subject of retrospectives, I mentioned back during the voting on Pertwee I had concerns over the start date for the Capaldi series, when attention will rightfully be on the new boy.

With a start date of 23rd August, and a continuous (we hope) 12 week run that’ll end on 8th November.

Our Davison serials will take us to 26th July. A two part Baker mk. II story will take us to the 9th August, leaving us the 16th blank in the leadup to the 23rd.

I’d suggest we cover the McCoy in the period after Series 8 finishes and Christmas, if everyone is agreeable?

Anonymous @

@phaseshift & @bluesqueakpip — must admit I’m liking the rootin tootin’ cowboy-themed retrospective concept…

Anonymous @

@tensconverse welcome to you – saying :high with large smile:   Enjoy! Have you popped over to the Memories page or favourite dr/wishlist page to add your ten cents (sorry, I had to say that!)?  A few slim weeks to go…. but plenty to catch up on here.

Kindest, purofilion

@phaseshift and @jimthefish – I also like the rootin’ tootin cowboys retrospective. It’ll be interesting to compare A Town Called Mercy with The Gunfighters, and I’m always up for a Firefly rewatch.

I may be classed as a heretic by saying this, but I can take or leave Red Dwarf. :-~

A two part Baker mk. II story

@phaseshift – if it’s The Twin Dilemma I will hunt you down, place you in a time loop, and send you back to the beginning of the decision making process so you don’t make that terrible mistake a second time.

My vote’s for Vengeance on Varos.;-)

Anonymous @

@phaseshift and @bluesqueakpip — if I’m honest I’m not much of a Red Dwarf fan either but I’m willing to give it another go.

With regards to Baker2, it’s all going to be pretty awful, it’s just a question of just how much. But, yeah, Twin Dilemma is definitely crossing a line. (Mind you, it is an integral part of Who history and that might be as good a reason as any for tackling it.)

@jimthefish

(Mind you, it is an integral part of Who history and that might be as good a reason as any for tackling it.)

::bluesqueakpip starts constructing time-loop device::

The Twin Dilemma is certainly unforgettable. Just not in a good way. 😈

Now, has anyone seen my field interphase stabiliser?

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

>gulp< On the other hand, Vengeance on Varos is probably a far better choice…. 😉

@phaseshift, @bluesqueakpip, @jimthefish

A rootin, tootin, shootin pairing of #1 and #11 sounds too good to resist. But I would keep it Who-centric, as there is just too much non-Who sci-fi western-themed shows to choose from (Star Trek old and new, etc).

As for the poor, unloved Colin, why not a fond farewell to Kate O’Mara with Mark of the Rani?

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

Yup, put me down for the rootin tootin restrospective too, great idea. I’m sure we can find a way to make selected non-Who ones Who-centric (as in @blenkinsopthebrave‘s suggestion); And agree re the scheduling.  A free week before 23rd Aug is a good idea – time to concoct appropriate cocktails for example 🙂

I’m with @bluesqueakpip re the Twin Dilemma (although I would add being forced to watch all CB’s stories on a loop while she sorts out the field interphase stabiliser). @Blenkinsopthebrave’s Mark of the Rani suggestion is a good one (would be my second choice) but I’m still jumping up and down for Vengeance, with the mighty Sil.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@jimthefish @bluesqueakpip @blenkinsopthebrave @scaryb

Oooh – thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a plan. I’d be interested in comparing the two myself Who stories myself.

I thought it would be good if there was enough interest to launch it as a “plan” later on when the sites more busy and ask if anyone wanted to contribute a blog (or Blogs) on anything cowboy/sci-fi related as it’s a big field as @blenkinsopthebrave suggests.

I think episodes from other series could just be profiled in the blog format we tried for The Avengers: Too many Christmas Trees. I thought Firefly because we do have a fair few fans of the Whedon on board (and it’s a natural).

Dwarf’s Gunmen of the Apocalypse I’d write quite happily as I have a lot of time for it. It has some interesting counterpoints to how Who came back, and it’s worth watching if only to see how they crammed so much into a half hour sit-com (with its associated atrocious budget). You really do have to admire the enterprise. It also won an international Emmy and featured the mighty Dennis Lil who has a couple of Doctor Who credits (including the forthcoming The Awakening).

At the very least – a blog of personal selections of Sci-Fi/Cowboy crossovers would be good asking people to nominate Good, Bad and Ugly examples of stories from books, film, TV, comics, etc. That way we could cover a lot of ground (Westworld, Star Trek, Stephen King, etc.).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Oh yes, Baker Mk II! I’ll leave the nominations for a couple of weeks but I seem to remember that the nominations were Vengeance on Varos and the Daleks one (in which he doesn’t actually appear much). Varos seemed the clear favourite by a country mile, but we’ll ask again later and include Mark of the Rani.

Anyone asking for Twin Dilemma or the full Trial of a Time Lord will be taken out to be shot behind the chemical sheds.

Anonymous @

Now, has anyone seen my field interphase stabiliser?

Oh, is that what it is. Sorry @bluesqueakpip, I used it as a bowl for my Cornflakes this morning. It was that or actually do some washing up 😉

@phaseshift Regarding CB stories, I haven’t seen any but I’ve always been intrigued by Trial of a Time … Oh right…

Taken out and shot…

Not sure I like the sound of that. Erm, in that case put me down for VOV.

@fatmaninabox

Regarding CB stories, I haven’t seen any

To be innocent of Colin Baker’s Who…wow, I envy you.

@fatmaninabox

I used it as a bowl for my Cornflakes this morning.

Ah. That would explain why you’ve been eating the same cornflakes for three days running – and why I found a cob of maize down the back of the sofa this lunchtime.

😉

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

I must be the only member who’s looking forward to seeing Colin’s interpretation of The Doctor !

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

😯 You willingly looked down the back of the sofa? You’re braver than I am, I know what’s lurking down there 😮

Anonymous @

@phaseshift et al … re. the future Watch Club hoedown … definitely think we should get Firefly in there somewhere. Any excuse to watch me some Firefly….

@jimthefish … we could go for the pilot – ‘Serenity’ – on the grounds that it introduces the ‘Wild West’ feel and has Mark Sheppard in it.

Or we could go for ‘Shindig’ on the grounds that it includes a high-society hoedown and has Mark Sheppard in it…

midnyt @midnyt

@bluesqueakpip I’m sensing a pattern here.

One I’m completely in support of, BTW.

Anonymous @

@midnyt and @bluesqueakpip absolutely “on the grounds it has Mark A Sheppard in it”!! Just now  my boy has got his hands into Supernatural which happens to guest star Sheppard.   ‘Shindig’ indeed would be good. And midny: loved that other work of yours as well 🙂

Kindest, purofilion

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — RE. Firefly. I’m sensing a pattern there, although an essentially sound one. I’d definitely go for either of those. The Train Job also has a high ‘Western’ quotient but sadly doesn’t have Mr Sheppard in it. My personal favourite ep Our Mrs Reynolds though. Unfortunately it’s not very Western-ey, aside from the opening sequence and does have some sparkling dialogue. And Christina Hendricks.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox

Hey, don’t let anyone put you off your intro to Colin.

I always think it’s much fairer to let Colin put you off himself. 😉

Only joking – some people really do like him, so what the hell. I have kept a note of those people who did ask for him to be featured though, and will be mentioning them in a post later, nearer to the date to make sure they are all aware they can leap in with comments about him. Otherwise it may be a depressing experience.

I also intend to do the man himself full justice and hopefully do a one-off blog on Blake’s 7 which I promised @tardisblue. Just imagine – two 45 minute episodes of Colin as The Doctor AND his appearance as Bayban the Butcher.

You’ll be spoiled, I tell you!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip @midnyt @jimthefish @purofilion

Oh, you have to love Mark Sheppard. I’m convinced he’s on a one man mission to simplify this whole “six degrees of separation” thing by appearing in just about every genre show possible. Usually in an extremely memorable way.

I have a massive soft spot for Shindig myself, but the flavour of the Western is in just about every episode of that series to one extent or another, so it’s up to whichever fine person on the board writes up a blog for it.

ScaryB @scaryb

Anything with Mark Sheppard in it gets my vote 🙂

@phaseshift – well done on keeping a note of  who likes CB (tho I presume it wasn’t too time-consuming!). Seriously tho, would be good to have some comments from people happy to view CB episodes, bit of variety of opinion n all that. (I’m just happy it’s now July and I can turn my calendar page to McCoy!!)

Baker was great as Bayban the Butcher (excellent scenery chewing), and in the Brothers too from what I remember.  Just not good (or not well served by the scripts, direction or production team!) as the Doctor.

Whisht @whisht

ohhhh THAT’S Mark Sheppard (had to google).

As I’ve just come out of my Battlestar Galactica watch (hmm about that…) I see what you mean.

Now, I’ve just delved into Game of Thrones (just finished series 1)*.
    I’m guessing Sheppard’ll turn up from the Oirish Oiles (hopefully not that bad) but I did like him in BG (if not the Oirish accent**).

*Why is it that I only ever get into shows ten years after? Yes, this will mean epic watches of Firefly in the future… I guess he’s in that too!!??

**and yes, I (now) know he’s of part Irish parentage, but my “ma and da” are both Irish and my accent is fully Estuary (unless I’m swearing for some reason – it just feels better).

btw as for westerns – I love westerns, so more than happy to watch that genre through the sci-fi lens and have some fun!

@phaseshift

Oh, you have to love Mark Sheppard.

My favourite Mark Sheppard story comes from his Who stint.

The filming ran over by a day or so, meaning that he had to negotiate a late start for his Supernatural filming. He was apparently overheard on the phone to Supernatural’s showrunner, anxiously explaining “But you don’t understand. This is Doctor Who.”

😉

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Glad to know you’re on board for the rewatch. Be interested on your thoughts if you’ve now watched all BSG.

Yep – it’s Romo Lampkin. The Sheppard’s are a dynasty of sci-fi going back to his dad, Morgan (he played older Canton in that double parter). Just think – back in the 80s Day of the Triffids, hacking down a nasty plant, Bablyon 5 as a Soul Hunter, Star Trek, many more.

The Sheppard name is legend!

@bluesqueakpip

I’ve heard that one as well. 😀

I don’t think he would have dared turned down Who. His father, Morgan, always regretted having to turn down work in the Pertwee years (It was actually The Mutants, so lucky escape for him say I). The chance to unite them on ONE shoot – in modern DOCTOR WHO! (his idea). He must have laughed like an idiot!

It’s one of those things that virtually every show he’s on he gets people eulogising him in extra features. No wonder he gets invited back to tempt him to become a regular. My favourite story was in the series Medium. He played the very dead Charles Walker, a spirit who possessed people and made them do evil. After a traumatic scene involving the stars screen daughter, he was seen legging it up the road because he had to be on another set. All Patricia Arquette (the STAR) heard as she shouted after to congratulate him was “I have to be actually nice to some children on another set – see’s ya in the canteen”.

Let no one deny – when Moffat put the word “like the wheels” into his mouth he was channelling Mark Sheppard’s inner coolness.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip   @phaseshift  @whisht  Wow. I did not know older Canton was Mark’s dad!  As for BSG I have never seen it beyond an odd ep here and there. When I saw Sheppard in Who (the younger) I just assumed he was an American actor…Silly really as Who tends to use English/Welsh performers, so dunno why I assumed. What do they say? ‘To assume makes an ass out of u and me’??

Anonymous @

sorry, thinkin’ of whacky Westerns (which I adore) I’m thinking of The Gunslinger and, is it: Be-Bop (the cryo-genetic mutant thing; the cybertwit)? and it’s….animated…eeeeeer. Maybe not. Cheers, puro.

yuri @yuri

I just came across this ad about Doctor Who. Has anyone else seen it?

http://singapore.craigslist.com.sg/pho/4556017947.html

Anonymous @

@yuri – I suspect  it’s one of many hoaxes designed to get peoples hopes up and Ian Levine’s knickers in a twist.

You wouldn’t be behind it would you? Or is it just a coincidence that the ad was posted 10mins before you joined us?

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox  and @yuri  I think you’re right -double checked with a mate. Quite a hoax and not surprising that, as phaseshift mentioned, all sorts of people will come in and ‘peek’ with  ‘strange coincidences’ presenting themselves!

Kindest, purofilion

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox @Purofilion

(Greetings – not interacted for ages)

Thanks for starting off the week by putting the image of Ian Levine’s knickers in my head!! Bleurgh!!

😉

(And yes I agree, blatant hoax. I live in hope of the missing episodes coming home at some point tho. Shame they don’t have a TARDIS to go and look for them with)

ScaryB @scaryb

Happy 95th birthday to Jon Pertwee today, wherever he is

hannie2000 @hannie2000

Hi, i’m new here and i have a question: does anyone know when you can watch series 8 of dw on netflix? i’m from holland (that also the reason why i’m so bad in english :$) so i ccan’t watch dw on tv. i’m afraid that if i watch the rest of the episodes from series 7 now, i have to wait like a year before i can watch the new series. (i’m sorry if this is not the reght place to ask this but i really don’t know were else to do it :(….. )

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.