On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

This is a place to congregate, somewhere to “hang out”. It’s a topic for general chat about anything you want, and a place for new members to pop in and say “hello” without worrying about making any real contribution (we know that your first post can sometimes feel daunting). We’d love to hear from you all. We’re very friendly.

This is a continuation of the previous On The Sofa thread which was nearing its maximum posting limit.

Anonymous @

Found down the back of the last sofa…

1. A Bow-tie
    2. A Fez
    3. A Wig
    4. 12 half-eaten Jammy Dodgers
    5. A Victorian frock-coat
    6. A Tweed jacket
    7. A battered, broken Cyber-head
    8. A Stetson (slightly damaged)
    9. A faded photo of Amy and Rory
    10. A collection of paintings by the Children of Trenzalore
    11. Assorted wooden toys (broken)

Could someone else continue rummaging down the back of the old sofa? My eyes appear to be leaking 😥

CarlyJo @carlyjo

Hi! I’m new to this site! Been a Doctor Who fan for about 8 months, started with the reboot and am currently working my way through Classic Who that is available on netflix! So excited to find people who I can discuss my favorite show with! =)

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Hi @carlyjo welcome, if you are in Britain have cable that shows the Horror channel you can get a good sample of classic who daily as they are currently running a selection of stories from doctors 1-7.

On another note some one posted a link a while ago to the us vs them site with a game of combining pairs of images of each doctor to make the next so far I have only got to Tennantdoc and it’s driving me batty with addiction to make it to matt smith.lol has anyone else got to the end yet

CarlyJo @carlyjo

Sadly I am in the US so I can really only find Classic Who on Netflix but it is something so I can at least see some of the Classic series!

Anonymous @

@devilishrobby – I’ve spent many hours (and drank way too much coffee) playing the 2048:Doctor Who Edition but I have finished it. See this post on The Rose and Crown. ( @bluesqueakpip have you finished it yet? ).

I’ve managed to complete it a few times but I haven’t been able to beat the score I achieved the first time.

A few tips for playing…

Keep your high value cards on the top line with the highest card in the top right-hand corner. Try and keep all of the top 4 squares occupied. Never move the cards down unless you have no other move available. If you do need to move down, make sure you move them up on the next go.

Have fun 😈

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@fatmaninabox – no, you are the undisputed champeen! Must. Try. More. Coffee.

Best score is over 16,000. And two Tennants. I was so close…

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – yes, it’s very annoying when you have 2 Tennants and no way of merging them. It’s times like that when I’m glad you can’t be arrested for GBH against a keyboard.

In addition to coffee, make sure you have some matchsticks to keep your eyes open when still playing at 3am. Being ambidextrous is also handy ( 🙂 )  for when you get cramp in your hand.

Rob @rob

Hopefully this works (crosses fingers and mutters under breath)

Rob @rob

Police Phone Box Dorset

Ok not working as hoped

Saw a Police Phone Box in Boscombe yesterday but photo not seeming to load off BT Cloud

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip @fatmaninabox

Congrats on your game triumphs and please don’t lure me into it!!

@wolfweed – you owe me a new keyboard!

Greetings to @rob and everyone I’ve not seen for ages.

Anonymous @

Weeping Angels have cats!

Sweet dreams cat owners. Sweet dreams. 😈

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

My amount of posting on this site has not been adequate recently, I know.  But I am still here if anybody was wondering… and look at that, we have a new Sofa. I call first animated gif of the thread;

@carlyjo – Welcome to the site! Glad to know some new fans also like the Classic Series… I do get worried that some try to ignore it.

BTW folks – I’m finding Doctor Who on the Horror Channel to be a great idea, finally the classics are being shown on a regular basis on television again. Seems like they’re going through some Pertwee serials for now, which is awesome. I am slightly worried that they won’t show any more black and white serials though; as I’m guessing they’re going on to Tom Baker next?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@fatmaninabox – Loving the Weeping Cat…

WhoGirl @whogirl

I was hoping, for the anniversary last year, that some of the Classic series would be played on BBC4 or something, as it’s a BBC show. Alas not. Wish I had the Horror Channel…

… Ooo, just found a stethoscope down the back of the sofa….

wolfweed @wolfweed

ABXY @abxy

Hello! I’m a new member on the site, but I’ve been a fan of Doctor Who since I was about… 5 or 6 maybe? My first episodes were the Family of Blood two parter, but I remember becoming hooked from Blink (still terrifies me). I’ve watched all of the New Who episodes now, and am looking for time to watch the Classic Series in full, but I’m still in school, so that has to come first. I know literally no people in real life that like Doctor Who (at least on such an obsessive level as me, anyway), so I’ve skulked off to the internet to be with my true family. I’m home! 😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome @abxy !

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Welcome from me @abxy

Well, at least we have the internet now. When I was at school, it wasn’t an option (yes – I’m old) and being a Who fan could be a lonely thing.

Have an explore around the site, and if you are interested in the older Doctors, we run a review club where we watch an episode of the old series a week (published Saturday). Currently we are looking at Pertwee’s Day of the Daleks, but the full list is here. There are links to video to watch, and it can be a fun diversion. I’m about to indulge in some late night Pertwee action, which is a phrase that could be misinterpreted in hilarious ways.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@monochromedimension

Welcome back to you as well. I can never tire of that GIF. A thing of simple beauty. You missed the end of the monochrome season in our rewatch, but I think Mind Robber was a great choice for Troughton.

I don’t have access to the Horror Channel, but I read something about the showings doing quite well for them (in viewer terms) so at this stage I’m sure they’ll look at more showings.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@phaseshift

You’re old? Young whippersnapper!

<Blenkinsop re-adjusts his dentures>

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

Young whippersnapper!

I love you blenkinsop. I’m feeling much better now. 😀

ABXY @abxy

@phaseshift thanks for your kind welcome, and I’ll definitely check out the older Doctor review club ASAP:3

ABXY @abxy

@wolfweed oh, thank you too, I didn’t see yours for a sec 🙂

@phaseshift – Isn’t it just the best gif there is? Hah. Thank you. And yes I am a little bothered I missed the black and white episodes for the rewatches, but hey… I don’t mind technicolour either. The Mind Robber is a brilliant serial, one of Troughton’s best; I’m guessing once we finish the McCoy serial (The Curse of Fenric, I think it was going to be?), we’d go full circle and re-watch another Hartnell serial? I know that’s a ways off for now though.

Isn’t the Horror Channel on freeview? I thought it was… guess I was mistaken about that. I have Sky and watch it on there, though we don’t have the Sky Movies package anymore; but Horror Channel still works with just the Entertainment package I think… even though its listed under Movies. Its really quite cool they’re showing the Classics; I’m not buying the DVDs at the moment due to money issues.

Oh BTW, dunno if this has been posted here or not yet but…

Finally a new official pic of Capaldi as the Doctor, eh?

ScaryB @scaryb

Good to see you back @monochromedimension

Nice new pic of PC – he looks much more colourful than the other 2! Also looks like he’s getting nicely embedded in the role 🙂

And welcome  home @abxy

Nice vids @fatmaninabox (yikes!) and @wolfweed

I realised the restoration process was laborious but that video really brings home how fragile the tapes carrying our fave stories really are.  It must have been amazing to watch that first scene suddenly jump into life on the computer screen, and realising you were the first people to watch it for 40 years.

@scaryb – Thanks. And yes I like the new pic of him, I am hoping he will have some similarity to Hartnell’s Doctor. But I am trying to not get too hyped up about season 8… still got a few months to go yet.

ScaryB @scaryb

@monochromedimension

re trying not to get too hyped up… I’m still trying to recover from all the excitement of last year! 😛

scifigeek36 @scifigeek36

<span style=”color: #141414;”>Hey Guys</span><br style=”color: #141414;” /><br style=”color: #141414;” /><span style=”color: #141414;”>Please see our online auction.</span><br style=”color: #141414;” /><br style=”color: #141414;” /><span style=”color: #141414;”>Everything is unreserved and some great originals </span><br style=”color: #141414;” /><br style=”color: #141414;” />http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liquidation-disposals-search-results/823

ScaryB @scaryb

RIP Jon Pertwee, who passed away 18 years ago today.
    Our communal viewing of Day of the Daleks takes on an added poignancy

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

As much as a reminder to myself for this weekend, we’ll be looking at the penultimate episode of Day of the Daleks, so I’ll ask you to think about the Tom Baker episode of choice.

Like Pertwee, we had a lot of nomination, which I’ll try to compile. They all had about one person nominating though, and it was an even wider field (as you’d probably expect given his tenure).

We covered Talons of Weng Chiang last time, so I’ll ask you to consider what you think would do Tom Baker full justice.

Rob @rob

The Sontaran Experiment?

It just sticks in my mind, not seen it since first broadcast so it may not be as classic as my memory believes

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift Glad you’re keeping tabs on things. I have no idea what’s been nominated so far. My busy period at work is almost over though and soon I can start paying attention again, from the back of the class.

I love The Ark In Space because it’s the first story that I really ‘got’ at my young age. However, I watched it again recently and while it’s still brilliant I don’t need to watch it again so soon. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to check out some BG Who though. I’m happy to post if that’s how the vote goes though.

Then my parents took me to Hong Kong for two years so I missed a lot of stories I’ve not caught up on. Pyramids of Mars is one I’ve never seen and I’ve been telling myself I really need to check out, given all the good reviews.

Genesis of the Daleks is almost always brought out as the classic Tom Baker story but I’d kinda like to avoid it just for that reason. But I’m quite happy to be overruled if a lot of people want to discuss it.

City of Death I would also be happy with. It’s been ages since I’ve seen it and there’s a lot to be discussed, not least Douglas Adams, Julian Glover, John Cleese and Eleanor Bron – and another timey-wimey story.

janetteB @janetteb

I would nominate either Pyramids of Mars or City of Death, or Genesis of the Daleks or.. (ok I could go on though as I have yet to comment on the current Day of the Daleks threads perhaps I should not be nominating anything.)

Cheers

(a rather guilty) Janette

Gordonstephen @gordonstephen

Hey, I really like this science-fiction program. I searching from long time just like this forum because I want Doctor Who Costume like these ,

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="400"]Doctor Who David Tenth Doctor Coat
    <div class=”mceTemp”><dl class=”wp-caption alignnone” style=”width: 412px;”><dt class=”wp-caption-dt”>Doctor Who Martha Jones Jacket Doctor Who Martha Jones Jacket[/caption]

</dt><dd class=”wp-caption-dd”>Doctor Who David Tenth Doctor Coat</dd></dl></div>
    I just want to know there is some official online store like Doctor Who costumes, I find these costumes at Slimfit Jackets online shop but I don’t know they are reliable or not.

ScaryB @scaryb

Happy Friday everyone. It’s nearly the weekend and #3 of Day of the Daleks. what’s not ot like?! (Not to mention that my iplayer has filled itself up (of its own accord 🙂 ) with Series 6 and 7, and there seems to be an awful lot of BG DW on TV (not that I’ve managed to track it down or watch(!) but I keep seeing adverts for it (and consequently falling off the sofa 🙂 ))

Tom Baker – Pyramids (agh, scared me senseless as a teen, there’s timeywimey stuff and Sarah Jane) or City of Death (if for no other reason than Douglas Adams). And agree, avoid Genesis just cos it’s always the one that gets trotted out (it’s a helluva story tho)

@janetteb – You’re completely allowed ot nominate. But would also love to hear your thoughts on Day of the Daleks

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I’d agree with ‘avoid Genesis of the Daleks’. Everyone always does Genesis of the Daleks. Genesis of the Daleks practically has Set Text status amongst Whovians. 😀

Pyramids of Mars versus City of Death. Pyramids has giant mummies-of-death, timey-wimey and Sarah Jane. City of Death has timey-wimey, Romana in her Lalla Ward regeneration, and a Douglas Adams script.

So Pyramids is ‘Classic Tom Baker’, City of Death is ‘Late Tom Baker’. Given that we’ve already watched a ‘Classic Tom Baker’ with Talons of Weng-Chiang, I’d go for ‘City of Death’. It is, like Day of the Daleks, a story where you can see quite clearly that AG Who is the same programme as BG Who – just with more money and considerable advances in special effects.

Anonymous @

Just to more or less echo the above really. I’ve seen Genesis so many times over the years that I could practically take a part in it — although the Allo Allo crossover material is always fun. Plus … the clams!! So, no, I think I would pass on that one personally.

I’d go for either Pyramids or City of Death quite happily — although I’m definitely more inclined towards City of Death for its added timey-wimeyness, sparkling script and Lalla Ward being sardonically awesome.

scifigeek36 @scifigeek36

hey guys

would any one be interested in an unreserved auction? along with Dr Who memorabilia there is a lot of sci fi stuff.

Whisht @whisht

I’ll watch any Tom Baker personally.

If I had to go for one of the above, I’d plump for City of Death because I haven’t seen it since transmission (though that’s true of the others) and didn’t therefore know about Douglas Adam’s involvement.

Plus Lalla Ward.

🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

Hi, everyone, I’ve been AWOL but I’m back. Life, you know. (I don’t call it “real life”, because this forum is definitely part of my real life!) I seem to have missed a lot. Welcome to all the new members!

@fatmaninabox  I was finally able to merge my Tennants! 20,164 (on my birthday, no less!). Ha. Also, loved the Weeping Cat video. And @wolfweed’s Dalek/new doctor cartoon.

@phaseshift   Given that we are currently viewing Day of the Daleks, I would vote against another Dalek episode right away, although Genesis is definitely a classic and worth all the praise. I would probably cast a vote for just about anything with Sarah Jane. @craig, I think that Pyramids of Mars would be a great choice. But I also love City of Death (it was my intro to Who way back when), if we want to go with something less Gothic for Four this time round. And Lalla Ward is also a quintessential Fourth Doctor companion (he had so many good ones, didn’t he?). Agh. I haven’t actually cast a decisive vote, have I? Okay, then, much as I love Sarah Jane, I agree that having done Talons last time, it’s probably time to go with the lighter, brighter Baker of City of Death.

Okay, having cast my ballot like a good citizen, I am now off read the music thread and get caught up on Day of the Daleks. 🙂

Time to cast my vote.

Any opportunity to see Eleanor Bron (however briefly) is an opportunity that should never be missed.

City of Death

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Thank you all for nominations received so far.

@craig – for someone who is busy, you had a surprisingly adept catalogue of stories nominated. 😉 Glad to hear the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching.

@janetteb – Absolutely vote for a choice. Last month, @jimthefish asked the same thing, as Pertwee isn’t his favourite. But, you never know if your time will be more available in the future, so you may as well vote for something you’d want to watch. Although his choice didn’t win, I think Jim has enjoyed Day of the Daleks.

Collating those suggested in the past, and current ones, I’ll give a run down of stories for Tom. All others are on the table though.

Story (Episodes) Notes
    Ark in Space (4) First trip off-world for Tom. Thrills! Spills! Boggling!* Sarah Jane and Harry battling giant insects! A SE with less wobbly space station shots!
    Sontaran Experiment (2) Thrills! Spills! Short! Sarah Jane and Harry meet a Sontaran. Who’s not as cuddly as Strax!
    Genesis of the Daleks (6) Probably the most written about stories of Doctor Who EVAH! Thrills! Spills! Harry puts his foot in it! I could probably knock up comprehensive episode reviews without even watching!
    Pyramids of Mars (4) Thrills! Spills! Become a plaything of Sutekh, an alien with delusions of godhood! Sarah Jane is Sarah Connors!
    The Deadly Assassin (4) Thrills! Spills! Really dull Time Lords!! A cliffhanger that sent Mary Whitehouse into meltdown!
    The Robots of Death (4) Thrills! Kills! Robots! Louise Jamieson in a leather bikini! (now – now @phaseshiftMrsPhaseshift)
    City of Death (4) Thrills! Spills! Paris! Douglas Adams! John Cleese and Eleanor Bron! Julian Glover! Lalla Ward in a schoolgirl outfit!! (That’s quite enough – MrsPhaseShift)

* Boggling – A term much used in official spin-off fiction to indicate Tom Bakers facial expression.

Robots of Death was my choice, but as much as I love it, I think a companion other than Leela would be right this time. Genesis I could talk about in my sleep, and I would probably be a little bored (heresy, I know). I’m fine with all the others though.

Translating the results so far, I get (and people are free to switch votes).

Story (Episodes) Notes
    Ark in Space (4) Null points
    Sontaran Experiment (2) @rob (?)
    Genesis of the Daleks (6) Null points
    Pyramids of Mars (4) @craig (?) @scaryb(?)
    The Deadly Assassin (4) Null points
    The Robots of Death (4) Null points
    City of Death (4) @craig (?) @scaryb (?) @bluesqueakpip @jimthefish @whisht @arbutus @blenkinsopthebrave

I’ve put a question mark if I was in doubt of your vote (or if you were split). Let me know your choices (or changes to firm votes if appropriate).

Please feel free to continue deliberations over the next week. We’ll finalise the vote for the finale of Day of the Daleks. Any Tom story is on the table, and everyone has a say.

DispositionMatrix @dispositionmatrix

Hello from the US.

@phaseshift, et al,

Re: City of Death. One should never miss the opportunity of even a snippet of Eleanor Bron:

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@dispositionmatrix

Hi, and welcome from the UK. As to the question you posted on another thread:

New to the forums. Is there a general Doctor How Speculation/Wishlist not specific to Series 8?

What do you wish to speculate on?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

Purely by coincidence, I’ve watched the original Pete ‘n’ Dud version of Bedazzled recently, and Eleanor’s appearance in a couple of the Amnesty gigs and I am very well disposed to her.

In fact, I think when it comes to Colin Baker I am going to re-open nominations, because she was in Revelation of the Daleks as Kara, and although Vengeance on Varos seemed to be a done deal, it can’t hinder us to check!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

Just to follow that up. Eleanor in full flow at the Amnesty gigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcTNWehOn5I

And a hearty recommend for her pregnancy. (it’s a balloon, Penelope)

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.