On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 49 posts - 951 through 999 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant

“Thundering bellend” is my current favourite pair of words!

(belated) thank you

XD

(@Purofilion the XD was with you in mind btw!! You can learn so much on this Forum 😉 Personally, I doubt I’d ever have come across such things as shipping, slash fiction or even the joys of cosplay if it hadn’t been for here!! 😉 (Looking at you Ms @juniperfish! (Hope you’re feeling better btw))

And good to see there’s still some glitter on the sofa that @fatmaninabox hasn’t managed to dust away!  It’s coming up for Christmas and us northern hemisphere types need some sparkle  in these dull, dreich, drawing-in nights!

Oooh! jellybabies!! (slightly sparkly!) Yum 🙂 Anyone want some?

@scaryb

“Thundering bellend” is my current favourite pair of words!

Here to help.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Hi all,

Just quick before I nip out (be back again later) I thought I’d mention for anyone who hadn’t spotted it that BBC2 in the UK start showing a four part documentary on Science Fiction tonight (21:45)

Tomorrow’s Worlds: The Unearthly History of Science Fiction. I think this is the series I mentioned much earlier in the year, which was originally going to be a BBC4 thing and got scaled up. It touches on Who (as you’d probably expect) from what I’ve heard and there are a couple of movies on later that night, Minority Report and B movie classic The Thing from Another World. Polar-ice-cap-tastic, although it’s one of those films where the remake (John Carpenters “The Thing”) was much better.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb <waves fishily> I’m still not well, alas, but always cheered by comrades on the couch here 🙂

Which Doctor do you fancy dressing up as for the Doctor Who Forum calendar? xx

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – Thanks for the heads up. I caught the tail end of the trailer earlier in the week but missed what time/channel it was on.

Something else that I missed, the Drama Channel (Freeview channel 20, not sure what channel it is for Sky/cable/FreeSat) are showing episodes of Doctor Who featuring the first 8 Doctors.

It seems I’ve missed the first three (last week was Spearhead From Space apparently) but tomorrow is The Pyramids Of Mars starring Tom Baker at 16:00.

Sunday 30th Nov (16:00) – Earthshock

Sunday 7th Dec (16:00) – Vengeance On Varos

The schedules on their website only go up to the first week of December so I’ve know idea what Sylvester McCoy story is being shown but there’s no doubt about what will be shown for Paul McCann 🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@juniperfish  Very sorry to see that you are still unwell.

Which Doctor do you fancy dressing up as for the Doctor Who Forum calendar?

I know this wasn’t addressed to me, but I have nevertheless given the matter some thought.  I don’t see myself as any of the Doctors but, given my erstwhile profession I ought to appear as River.  Trouble is, although kind friends assure me that I do not look my age, and I have been accused of keeping a portrait of myself in the attic, I don’t delude myself that I could pass for fiftyish or younger – except, perhaps, ‘in the dusk with the light behind me’ .  Nor, alas, can I boast her… um… attributes.   

Hope you will soon make a full recovery, in time for Christmas if not before.

Anonymous @

Further to BBC’s ‘Tomorrow’s Worlds’ as mentioned by @phaseshift, here’s a link to the Beeb’s website which features a few clips including Design of the Daleks and Neil Gaiman talking about Idris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01yqk7d

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift and @fatmaninabox thank you – I might watch that.

@mudlark – thanks very much for the condolences/ health wishes – much appreciated. You could dress up as River – go for it! x

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@juniperfish I too have been meaning to add that I’m very sorry you’ve been ill for so long. I do hope that you get better soon. At least in time to participate in our calendar! Am sending good thoughts and vibes. x

@mudlark The calendar is, if it ever happens, going to be a gender-bending tribute to the Master/Missy – women as The Doctor, men as the female companions. We’re looking for ideas.

@ Everyone – I think a good place to start would be to gather a collection of iconic images – one for each Doctor that we could recreate. A bit like, you know…

3rd Doctor and 12th Doctor with Jo Grant

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @scaryb I see we move further and further away from The Graun every day 😀

It's

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift and @fatmaninabox – Thanks for the heads up on the BBC programme, Tomorrow’s Worlds: The Unearthly History of Science Fiction. That looks really good.

@juniperfish Which Doctor for me? Would have to be Hartnell, I love the frock coat style, and it’s black! There again I do love hats and I’ve already got a Tom Baker scarf (extra long) 😉 I agree with you – @mudlark should definitely go for a River reinterpretation. What about you  – which Doctor tickles your fishy style-guru fins?

@craig Thundering bellends!! (Love your Katy Manning pics btw)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb Thinking about it, more or less just going on natural hair, I thought you might make a good 2, or 10 (we could fashion you a massive quiff!)

@juniperfish could maybe do a good 3 or 5 or (somebody has to do it – 6!) or maybe even 11.

Just my random thoughts…

I will obviously have to wear a wig, so no reason anybody else can’t though.

Mudlark @mudlark

@scaryb   If, as @craig has pointed out, cross dressing is de rigeur, then I am disqualified from representing River.  And I really cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, see myself as any of the Doctors – unless you want a hypothetical future Doctor who is vertically challenged (5′ 1″ and shrinking), with longish, straight hair which, if not exactly full-on ginger, does have a slightly sandy tinge 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Massive quiff huh?

Like this…?

Leningrad Cowboys are surely the Kings of the Quiff! (Not to mention the pointy shoe)

(In pleading the above clip’s relevance, I note a callout to 10 for the (front!) of the suits and 2 timestreams for the audio (not sure that totally works though). Not to mention the title which surely looks back at Missy)

And now for a double dose of Fenric since I missed last week’s. (And I have the DVD as well, so feeling ultra smug!)

🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@mudlark

Rules are made to be broken 😉

Although “hypothetical future Doctor who is vertically challenged (5′ 1″ and shrinking), with longish, straight hair which, if not exactly full-on ginger, does have a slightly sandy tinge” does sound like it’s got a 5-ish bent to it.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb Yes, a quiff just like that – a band full of Tennants!

@mudlark I agree with @ScrayB, sounds very 5ish.

I think this will be a calendar where a lot of the companions are taller than the Doctor. But I can use Photoshop very well. It’s part of my job to do image manipulation.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@craig Thanks for the good wishes re health – it’s been a tough one.

I want to do 4 for affectionate reasons, but I suppose 3 would work – I’m not that fond of 5 or 6.

Did anyone watch “Tomorrow’s Worlds” (thanks @phaseshift and @fatmaninabox). It was enjoyable if, of course, missing many things from Flash Gordon to ET to Blade Runner, although the little intro from Rutger Hauer was great.

Barbara Lefty @barbaralefty

Hi All, been lurking for a bit, you all seem thoroughly lovely and more like it than any other Who place, so I’d just like to pop up and say hello, actual Barbara (parents were ’60s kids) Scot currently in actual Scotland, actually haven’t watched much after the gap until the child reached an age where we thought it would be nice to watch something as a family and pass on the hiding behind the sofa baton, coinciding with new 12 regeneration, and promptly fell into a Doctor Who shaped hole.  Currently on a Tennant/Smith binge, slowly realising will have to go back and rewatch everything.

janetteB @janetteb

@Barbara Lefty welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it here and how wonderful to have all of AG Who to discover.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@juniperfish

I was in the kitchen making a cup of coffee when Tomorrow’s Worlds started so I only heard but didn’t see Rutger Hauer’s intro. It still sends shivers down my spine!

It was great to see Nichelle Nichols too. She’s still looking as beautiful and elegant as ever. Hard to believe she’s 82.

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox that was marvellous to watch; I didn’t know youse were Blade Runner fans?  Isn’t Hauer just a little bit mad, though? A bit: “the poet in me which is the poet in Roy” and “it was then but it’s now”. Whoa, pass him a joint anyone?

Still brilliant. I think I was 17 and totally a-crush on this guy! My friends liked Dirty Dancing whilst I saw Blade Runner every DAY

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

I don’t know “Tommorrows Worlds” (what is it??), but ‘Blade Runner’ is a one in a million movie.

@purofilion I see your point… That movie is absolutely great! Have watched three different cuts and editions in a row recently and still want more… 🙂

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

Happy 51st anniversary by the way!!! Bought Jammie Dodgers on the occasion for the first time…

ABXY @abxy

Wooh, Happy 51st Anniversary to Who! ^_^ May not be the big 50 again, but every year counts :3

On a related note, who here went to the 50th Anniversary Convention in London? My mum managed to get us TARDIS tickets for the Friday and I had great fun ^_^

janetteB @janetteb

@Stormaddeddon Yes indeed. I had forgotten. We still have one packet of jammy dodgers left but I am saving them up for Christmas just in case they have vanished off the shelves by then.

Happy Who Day @all.

Cheers

Janette

darkanian @galasura

hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ask!!!!!!!!!! which is the real time of the doctor? he comes from which real date? his year of corrected time is 2014? or 1845? or 45000495? what is its realte time year

darkanian @galasura

what*

Mudlark @mudlark

@stormy72   ‘Tomorrow’s Worlds’ is a four part series on the history and significance of Science Fiction, shown on BBC 2.  The first part was broadcast yesterday evening and, naturally enough, focussed chiefly on Science Fiction on film and on television rather than novels and short stories.

@fatmaninabox  That ‘tears in the rain’ speech always gives me goose bumps.  Blade Runner is one of the few SF films which meet my unreasonably critical standards 🙂

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@galasura – if you ever get the chance to watch the drama-doc An Adventure In Space And Time, you’ll see that they made a very deliberate decision to not give the Doctor’s ‘real date’.

So we don’t know. Obviously the Gallifreyans do, since Missy knew when his birthday was. 😈 But we don’t.

gaijinryusoke @gaijinryusoke

Hello everyone! I just picked up this cool figure on eBay. Does anyone have more info on it? Thanks! Go to eBay and look up item number: 261663782524

jakevader93 @jakevader93

Hello everyone! Definitely new to the forums so I just would like to introduce myself. I got myself into Doctor Who exactly one year ago. The first time I was even aware that this show even existed was actually seeing advertisements for it on the SciFi Channel here in America. This was during the Tennant run. The ads never convinced me to watch the show, because I assumed everything shown on the SciFi channel at that time was complete garbage and it had terrible CG effects. Little did I know…

A few years later I’m doing rehearsals for a play with a bunch of my theater friends when they get into a really absorbing and excited conversation about DW. I kept thinking to myself  “Wait, that really crappy looking show from a few years ago on the SciFi channel? Is that still popular? Is it still even on?” I inquire them about it and told them that I never heard of the the show nor do I even know what it was about. They ALL look at me like I just got out of the nuthouse with wide eyes and mouths agape.

They explain to me the entire premise of the series… and told me it was a 50 year old show that has new episodes being made to this very day! That took me by complete surprise! How did this show pass under my radar after ALL this time? They quickly tell me to watch the beginning of the Ninth Doctor run. I watched the first episode… and was unimpressed. I later told my friends that I couldn’t get into it due to it having such a weird and cheesy premise.

Then, a few months later I had an idea. I asked them if they have watched any of the classic episodes to which they replied “No.” I then tell them I’m going to give the show a second try…. but I’m going to start from the VERY beginning starting with Hartnell all the way up to Smith in chronological order. They thought I was crazy! But it has been a whole year now and I’m already at the end of the Third Doctor’s run!

This whole year has made me into a huge fan now. I love the characters, the monsters and these stories! So far, my favorite Doctor has been the First Doctor. My favorite story so far is “Tomb of the Cybermen”. My favorite companion so far is Jo Grant and my favorite monsters are the Cybermen. I am so happy to become a new fan of this incredible series and I wish I would have became a part of it earlier in life. I still have a LONG way to go though. Currently watching “Death to the Daleks”. Can’t wait to watch some Fourth Doctor stuff coming soon.

Thank you for reading my super long introduction and I hope to be an active meber of these forums. 🙂

Anonymous @

@jakevader93  The whole series/ Every episode?? ?? Well done. You deserve a tribute medal. Welcome to this site. I joined a year ago and made some great mates. Here, you’ll find a music thread; discussions on every doctor and drinks at the Rose & Crown. Enjoy and good luck with all the great eps. Kindest, purofilion.

firestarteruk @firestarteruk

Hi Guys first post and I have a question to ask. I would like to write a letter to William Russell who played Ian Chesterton with the first Doctor. Now I know his actual address will not be known but is there a place where mail can be sent and then sent on.

Im hopeful you guys will know…

regards Rich

@firestarteruk

Best to go via his agent: http://www.feastmanagement.co.uk/clients/william_russell.html (who will doubtless take a position in whether you are a complete nutter or not before forwarding!)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Where is everybody?

It’s like the Wreck of the Marie Celeste on the site.

ScaryB @scaryb

Greetings @blenkinsopthebrave. How are the Canadian cellars these days…?!

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

Hello!

I wrote in celebration of the possibility that Lovely Jenna might be staying

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/nov/28/clara-oswald-jenna-coleman-doctor-who-stay-leaving#comment-44304059

ScaryB @scaryb

*waves @danmartinuk*

You’re a very brave man!!! (Hi fives!)

😀

(off to check it out – it better not be spoilery!)

Anonymous @

Re: Coleman and Norton.

Does anyone remember Smithy’s last season with Jenna in the Cold War episode? I have seen James Norton in a couple of ventures shown in Oz. Recently in a series called Happy Valley where he played a sociopath and also, just last night, in the first episode with Matthew Rhys of Death at Pemberley. Norton plays a new character, rather saccharine and ingratiating, vying for the affections of Darcy’s querulous sister, Georgiana. In Cold War, Norton is a young Russian, quietly and mysteriously dispatched by the alien about 20 minutes (or more) in.

Jenna Coleman plays the ever-nuttier, Lydia, now ‘happily’ married to Wickham. Also, Rebecca Front from The Thick of It and another character from the same programme are in the cast.

@janetteb and @serahni have you seen it? It started last night on the ABC -which if the forecasts are correct, will be losing more funding, not just in investigative journalism areas but in programmes made for, and by, Australians. Not that we don’t like our UK shows! -I couldn’t live without many of ’em. Even the US shows -sorry, just a fun dig; the US brings some great drama to Oz but much is bought by the commercial stations as the ABC can’t afford them.

Here’s hoping they hang on. It’s ours after all!

@blenkinsopthebrave -regarding your mentions about the site? I was thinking this also! Where tis everyone.

Today, our Boy Ilion turns 13 and his friends have a surprise b’day party arranged. In the age of media, f’book and other perils, I’m surprised it, like Dr Who, remains a secret! Long may spoilers stay away and secrets about our fav shows for the good of patient and happy viewers, stay hidden.

I’m now taking a spade, a shovel, a blower & wheel barrow to help clean up our favourite parks and any houses which need a hand. This is something a few others were doing and I thought ‘good idea’. We’re often quick to say people are introverted and disinterested in what is outside their domain and I find, at least in Brisbane, that’s not the case. Back in 2012, when we had half the city under water and people without power and furniture for months, everyone got on buses with buckets and pops and hopped to it. Man plans and God laughs and Man plans again!

Kindest, puro

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave @Purofilion (Happy 13th to Boy Ilion – that sounds like Moffat-standard secret-keeping, impressive)

Must be the Black Friday effect – everyone’s off shopping!

*watches the tumbleweed blowing past*

Anonymous @

@scaryb do you know that until yesterday I had no idea what Black Friday meant? Having had the term coined for various catastrophic fires in Adelaide decades ago, I didn’t pay much attention to this latest ‘revision’ of the term. I’m assuming, having read the Guardian, that it has been used to mean a ‘shop to death’ complex (around Thanksgiving)?

Anonymous @

@scaryb of course, I’ve been wrong before and surely, about this too? I didn’t think it had infected Britain? But I’m wrong about that as I’m getting messages from UK sites which mention this ominous Black Friday. Boy Ilion was rambling on about BF and shopping via Play Station and how “it’s necessary mum, I need to do it. Like, you know, totally, like right NOW!!”

Obviously, like a lot of teenage babble, I tuned it out (ha, I can call him a teenager now effective at 12.12 last night. How I remember that 48 hour labour so well. When ppl say “Oh you forget all the pain and it melts away when babe is in arms”, I growl and get cross eyed: NEVER forget. Not that pain: not ever!)

ScaryB @scaryb

@Purofilion

Me neither. But yes – “shop to the death” seems to be about it, haha.  A pre-Christmas feeding frenzy. Whatever rocks your boat I suppose but seems pretty bonkers to me.

http://news.sky.com/story/1381823/black-friday-police-anger-amid-retail-frenzy

Maybe it’s all a dastardly Missy plot, a compulsion spread by nanobots, LOL.

(48 HOURS??!!!!! 😯 They just don’t appreciate it, do they 😉 )

janetteB @janetteb

Thanks for the link @danmartin. I am happy to hear that possibly/likely? Clara is returning though it does mean that her story arc may not be resolved this Christmas. It also raises the possibilty that Orson will become a Tardis companion which I have been suggesting for some time. (but then if I have suggested the possibilty it certainly won’t happen because I am always wrong.)

@purofilion Happy 13th Birthday to Boy Ilion.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@janetteb  thankyoufrom Boy ilion

Puro back: I think that Clara continuing in the Tardis might be a surprise. I get the sense that all the companions have a certain ‘shelf’ life (rather unfortunate expression) so Amy and Rory were, gosh, 3 seasons? Or was it two? So Clara has had the Impossible Girl Arc (& one or three episodes as an undiscovered claricle), and now this season which means 2 1/2 seasons plus the 2 Christmas specials. I think that might be enough? Although I surely would like the Doctor, realising he’s ‘an idiot..in a box’ to be rejuvenated and travelling with Clara- sad and inconsolable Clara, but I think not. It might be too emotional. Something is wrong with me because rather obsessively, I keep playing the end of DiH over an over -where he kisses !smack! The Master on the lips does a ‘turn on the spot’ and changes….eyebrows raised, tongue stuck out and a wicked, crooked grin (well, not wicked in the old sense of the word). He was transformed. I went all girly inside. Yep, well, too much information shared….. back to the remote.

@danmartinuk

I think the lack of a hoo-ha about the search for a new companion is the biggest clue that Clara’s story is not quite told yet.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@pedant and @danmartinuk

Agreed. Given that the BBC has recently been a very leaky ship indeed, it seems astonishing that the casting of the new companion hasn’t leaked.

Leaving one to the suspicion that it hasn’t leaked because there isn’t a new companion. Either Jenna Coleman isn’t leaving, or they’re going to be using the semi-regulars on a rotating basis, or they’re doing a Deadly Assassin Mk 2.

Arbutus @arbutus

@danmartinuk     Thanks for the link. There was a bit less vitriol than has become usual (at least, at my time of reading!). There were some interesting comments, including this one by @bluesqueakpip. I hope you don’t mind my quoting you here, because it was beautifully stated and I don’t know that all our posters here will find it!

It was all about Clara because the Doctor didn’t have a clue who he was any more. He’d got lost behind the role he’d been playing for so long; no longer had any sense of who the original man had been. So many faces; was there anything left of that little boy, crying because his schoolwork was too hard for him and he’d never be a Time Lord?

I don’t think anyone but Peter Capaldi could have played a Doctor so lost that he quite deliberately dumps his companion with a major decision on Earth’s future, leaving her to sort it out by herself.

And yet still keep the audience with him, while he struggles to the realisation that ‘The Doctor’ is the story, the hero of a thousand stories, the legend. It’s the role he plays. The real man behind that story is an idiot with a magic box and a screwdriver, a man who just tries to help out.

But it’s the story that’ll help people fly.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

This sofa has begun to get a bit uncomfortable for this old Doctor. New sofa is over here:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/on-the-sofa-6/

Viewing 49 posts - 951 through 999 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.