Website comments

Home Forums General Website comments

This topic contains 946 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 947 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@MadScientist72 – I see all 6 posts on that last page of On The Sofa.  The last two posts contain images but the two before that are text with links in, so it can’t be simply that you are missing posts containing images.

Let’s see if anyone else is having your problem too.  You said you’re using IE?  at work?  any blockers installed there?

Anonymous @

There’s a firewall, but if it was rejecting one or more of the images, it would just replace it with a banner syaing it had been blocked.

Anonymous @

@shazzbot  @MadScientist72  I’m having the same problem 🙁

Anonymous @

@craig – do you mind having a look at this?  @MadScientist72 first reported it here and now @fatmaninabox is also reporting it.  I haven’t had this problem myself as per my earlier comment.

It’s a problem with seeing all of the posts on the last page of On The Sofa.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot @MadScientist72 @fatmaninabox

Can you please try again. I think the problem may be that when you, Shazzbot, posted that second post on the page you copied in a lot of code, from Word I think (I hope). I’ve deleted it now.

That may have been the cause, but I’m having no problem either so need to the others to test.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

While I’m on here. @wolfweed can you see the picture in this post (is there a picture in this post) as I think the link is broken for everyone else. I’d like to get to the bottom of this. Reminds me of when you could see your smilies but no one else could. Very weird.

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-next-doctor-2/page/2/#post-15949

The link to the image that you posted is

http://im.ft-static.com/content/images/248b36c7-0671-43bd-80dc-17891f55cc9c.img/bmi_orig_img/248b36c7-0671-43bd-80dc-17891f55cc9c.img

It’s broken and I can’t work out this time what the URL actually should be.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@craig – ‘On the Sofa’ comments are now visible. Thanks 🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Ah, so there is an extra bit at the end that starts with /bmi_orig_img

That’s also happened with this post

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/on-the-sofa-part-2/page/15/#post-16040

I can’t see the image there either, because the image URL has an extra bit added that starts with /bmi_orig_img If I remove that I can see the image.

Any idea where the extra /bmi_orig_img bit is coming from?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed I just read this:

Some mobile phone network providers compress all data for a faster browsing experience, including compressing (lossy most likely) images further. The *original* image can be accessed via the bmi_orig_img. So if the content is editable, the link is inserted by the software of the network provider, and hence fix the link in software.

Might explain why you can see it but we can’t.

Anonymous @

@craig

I see them now. Thanks!

Thanks to @Shazzbot, too, for her efforts.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig  I just searched the internet for that image. No joy. Here is tiny similar version though.

z

Not sure about the extra bit, my linking technique has probably got sloppy recently with the sheer volume of bits n bobs I’ve been inflicting posting (I keep finding the damn stuff).

Though my re-search is proof perhaps, that one should post as one finds stuff, otherwise you’re likely to never find it again…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig  Just read your post. I’ll have to try to remember to look out for that in the code in future…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed I can’t see that image either. The link you posted this time is

http://1.2.3.10/bmi/www.doctorwhoexperience.com/media/image/news/t_5208ab7157c1b.jpg

However, the image is at

http://www.doctorwhoexperience.com/media/image/news/t_5208ab7157c1b.jpg

It’s that 1.2.3.10/bmi/ that’s causing problems this time. Is related to bmi_orig_img

I love the stuff you inflict 😀 on us – is a shame that some of the pics don’t show up for everyone else – that’s why I’d love to find a fix.

When you posted the link was that 1.2.3.10/bmi/ in the link or was that added after you posted do you think?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig – It may have been injected by Wolfweed’s ISP – I think bmi_orig_img is a javascript command to access the original image when an image has been compressed.

@wolfweed – you weren’t uploading via an iPhone or something, were you?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig

I just checked the 1.2.3.10/bmi/ & the code becomes correct if I shift+R the image. I don’t usually bother so I’m not sure why it usually works… Maybe it only occurs with certain images? I will always shift+R before I copy the URL from now on.

Thanks for helping to solve the mystery.

Whisht @whisht

@wolfweed – can you find an image for me?

Its a blackboard with the words:

“I will always shift+R before I copy the URL from now on.
    I will always shift+R before I copy the URL from now on.
    I will always shift+R before I copy the URL from now on….”

repeated 100 times.

if you cant find it, no worries, happy to see the next image inflicted on us as they’re so effing amusing.

😉

happy birthday

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Cool, and no probs. I’ve fixed the broken links I spotted. If I find any more will do the same.

You can probably use those smilies now if you do the same shift+R 😉

Whisht @whisht

@wolfweed – I cite #16125 as “effing amusing”

thank you for making me laugh yet again!

😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig @whisht @bluesqueakpip  I think my last post on the sofa has the offending code but on this 2nd attempt to get the URL (without shift+R-ing) it copied the correct code….!?!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb8xruqOMR1qex1ev.jpg

I shall change the blackboard to ‘I will always check the code (x100)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed actually that one was fine, the code was correct and we can all see it. Although I almost wish I hadn’t seen it!

Whisht @whisht

erm – look, I don’t want to douse the roaring flames of happiness, but as of 20:29 I can only see a url link, not an embedded image in Wolfweed’s #16132

sorry!

wolfweed @wolfweed

@whisht No I did that on purpose just in case Craig needed to redo the link (It’s just Colin & his big weapon again …)

Anonymous @

@craig @wolfweed @whisht

I moved our ‘saucier’ comments over to the Rose & Crown.  My Topic Dalek eyestalk wanted to keep this thread clean for Craig’s technical issues (and the description of the pub includes “Basically a place of a more adult nature” which is what our comments were drifting toward …  🙂  ).

XAD4 @xad4

@craig

Apologies if this has already been discussed, or if you think it’s a stupid suggestion.

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to move HTPBDET’s ‘Regeneration’ post (between Doctor 1 and 2) to the ‘The Doctors’ blog. I think this series of his entries (as well as all his others, of course, but these especially) is a masterpiece in itself, and probably one of the most beautiful and moving things I’ve ever read. But the ‘Regeneration’ story is, in my opinion, an integral part of it, maybe even the most important part (at least that’s how I feel about it at the moment), so it would be a shame if it remained somehow ‘physically’ unconnected.

Many Thanks

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@xad4 Sorry for the late reply. Yes, great suggestion. I’ve moved it. It doen’t quite fit with the rest exactly thematically I guess, but it is definitely part of the emotional story so really does belong there along side the rest of the entries.

ApplesandBananas @applesandbananas

Much appreciated if anyone could take the time to do my survey. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZFPGC6J

Anonymous @

@applesandbananas — if you want members to fill in your survey, it might be a good idea to explain a bit about what it’s about, why you’re doing it and what you’re planning to do with the information and so on.

Just joining up and spamming multiple threads with a link isn’t really going to achieve much more than getting your posts deleted, I’d suspect….

Hi @craig – When I add a link I always click the open in new window/ tab checkbox. And it never works.

Am a bit irritated by this, since I hate being take out of sites by in-line links and having to rely on the back button to get me …er…back (since often it fails to do so).

Can this be fixed.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ All

I’ve gone crazy and updated to the latest version of the Forum software. Everything SEEMS to be intact and working. But if you spot anything that doesn’t work, is out of place etc. please let me know as soon as…

Many thanks.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Oh, and one bonus is there is now an improved Forum search, if you go to the Forums page.

Is much, much better than before. Thankfully. I know it was a bit pants before.

Anonymous @

@craig – the search box on the Forums page is amazing, and exactly what several people were calling for.  Good on ya and ta v much.  🙂

@craig – I keep getting weird text formatting. WordPress seems to be inserting a span formatting for font size 13, and the command is showing in the post itself.

Not sure how I’m creating this – I notice that another user edited due to formatting problems, so it might not be just me.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip

Can you leave it next time it happens and then give me a link to the post? I’ll edit the formatting once I’ve had a look.

Cheers

@craig

Will do.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Hello @craig

Another thing I noticed yesterday and again today is that the various edits are appearing at the end of people’s posts, see this for example…

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by  chickenelly. Reason: or indeed this one
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by  chickenelly. Reason: gahh or indeed this example
    Anonymous @

Hi @chickenelly and @ everyone (and also @craig) – The edits only show if you leave the box ticked ‘Keep a log of this edit’.  If you un-tick that box, then no modification note will be attached to your comment.

(Also, if you leave that box ticked but don’t add a comment in the ‘Optional reason for editing’ box, you’ll still get a ‘This reply was modified’ note, just with no reason.  See my comment here for an example.)

Craig, is it possible to have this box un-ticked by default?  Or do you prefer it remain ticked by default?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@chickenelly @shazzbot

I’ll look into it. Best solution is probably to have the box unticked by default. They don’t show when it’s not ticked.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@chickenelly @shazzbot

Is done 😀

Checkbox now has to be actively ticked to make a note of the edit.

@craig – an example of the formatting going strange is in post #17342. It’s done it in the quote this time.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Thanks, I noticed that. I’ve fixed your post. No idea what’s happening though. I see it’s happened to Jim’s comment below it as well (although the code saved as HTML rather than showing up in his comment. Weird.

Will look into it.

@craig – thanks. It’s not happening in every post, and it’s not necessarily the quote. Very weird.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Ah, it happens when you copy and paste from someone else’s post in Visual mode.

Like this: an example of the formatting going strange is in post #17342. It’s done it in the quote this time

Will see if I can fix that.

@craig – post #17388. I wasn’t copying and pasting anything – it just added the weird formatting during an edit, when I was editing in Visual mode.

As far as I recall, I didn’t even touch that particular section.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – re your post 17388 in AGMGTW

On your next post, can you please edit it after submitting but this time do it in ‘Text’ mode? I’d like to see if the weird formatting bits are added when you do it that way, instead of in Visual mode.

EDIT (2):  @craig: I’ve edited lots of my comments since the upgrade but haven’t had this same issue.  I’m using a laptop, are you (@Bluesqueakpip) using a phone?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Hmm, weirder and weirder. I’ve been working on my development environment, making a lot of edits etc. and not once have I seen it happen. I’ll try to recreate it and, if I can, there’s hopefully a fix for it.

Have fixed the post by the way.

Anonymous @

@craig – the comment box here on Live defaults as it used to, i.e., to the last mode used (Visual or Text).  Did you make the same hack here as on Dev?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot I didn’t make any hack here or on Dev, I think it’s always done that, hasn’t it?

Just a test edit

Anonymous @

@craig – I’ve responded on Dev to your question …

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 947 total)

The topic ‘Website comments’ is closed to new replies.