Class – Series 1, Episode 4

Home Forums Class Class, Series 1 Class – Series 1, Episode 4

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

Co-owner of a Lonely Heart

Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart

April starts to feel greater effects of sharing her heart with Corakinus, and is troubled by her newfound power. Meanwhile, something sinister is invading the streets.

There’s lots to chew on in what looks like a two-parter for the series mid-point. The cracks in the friendships begin to show and April is really struggling, both with her alien connection and with her Dad out of prison. It ups the ante and I liked most of it, although the alien world is a bit ‘over-the-top Hell’ for me and doesn’t seem like a fully realised society, just snatches of a bargain-basement Mordor. I think that even on that warrior planet the king wouldn’t last long because he’s so angry all the time – he’s not well rounded at all. Maybe next week…

EDIT: I watched it with subtitles because the Shadow Kin stuff was mostly lost on me with all the music and growling. There are a few jokes, like asking for a cuddle, but Corakinus is not a character yet.

And, ugh, kissing, and sex, and alien sex, and stuff! But we get more insight into the Governers, and they seem to know… EVERYTHING. The plot strands are increasing in number, much like the plant lifeform. Am still interested to see where Ness is taking this despite some of its problems.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hmmn – well – as suspected, the souls are back in play. Good on you, Tanya and Matteusz, for giving Charlie a hard time about his dubious Princely assumptions and (possible) intentions.

This was a partcularly Hollyoaks meets outer space episode, so some of the emotional notes were a bit cringe-worthy. “These young folks seem to have jumped into bed together jolly quickly,” I mutter, clasping a cup of tea and peering over my spectacles 🙂

But, I like the mysterious blood-sucking pink petal creatures. Also, the new Head teacher and her beguiling rapport with Miss Quill. She definitely works for a dodgy branch of UNIT, right?

The actors who play April and Ram, Sophie Hopkins and Fady Elsayed,  both did well with the material, and this episode worked as a gripping cliff-hanger.

I often particularly enjoy two-parters, as there’s more room for the narratve to breathe.

I’m still hoping for a more complex take on the Shadow-Kin however, rather than more of them being the evil-iest evil conquering hordes to ever conquer, mindlessly battling the light. Trusting this will be forthcoming in Part 2!

I like this and think it is heading in an interesting direction and quite liked the mum blundering in on the illicit rumpy pumpy –  it was well handled in a “sometimes there are things you can’t talk your way out of” way.

My slight concern (and would love to be proved wrong) is that I’m not sure Sophie Hopkins quite has the chops for a part needing such emotional range. She’s not bad, but she ain’t Sarah Michelle Gellar and I think her role really needs her to step up.

Very intrigued by the new head. Unit black ops in a school, @juniperfish. That would be a nice twist.

Agree with the general view that the Shadow-kin are a bit Mordor-lite. We’ve learned that even the Daleks have a culture, so surely this lot need one too.

Anonymous @

is that I’m not sure Sophie Hopkins quite has the chops for a part needing such emotional range. She’s not <span style=”font-family: Thread-0000237c-Id-00000054;”>bad, </span>but she ain’t Sarah Michelle Gellar

@pedant I’m with you.

I wonder if some of that is editing: her constant close ups could be the problem. Not enough “backing off’ with the lens in my humble opinion. Mind you, I failed Design Tech and IT.

mordor lite

Are they too much like Mordoe or not enough? I think you mean “too much” but just checking. When I watched Ep 3 and the “previously” I saw the two swords and thought “cringe cheese” -so much cheese it’s dripping 🙂

Anonymous @

erm? I can’t cut and paste clearly so my IT teacher would be swearing now.

Anyway, post splurge now. Not good.

tardigrade @tardigrade

A much-improved episode – at least for my tastes – after a slow episode last week. Several plot threads developing and altogether a lot tighter episode that has got me looking forward to seeing how things are resolved.

As suspected, the Governors (whoever they are) seem to know exactly what’s going on. I’m suspicious of another alien influence there, rather than an earthly (UNIT/Torchwood) connection though.

I wasn’t enthused by the speed of the April/Ram relationship developing, but given what they’ve been through together, I didn’t find a sexual relationship much more of a stretch. I’m always a little in two minds with teenaged sex being shown- sure it happens and ignoring it isn’t altogether realistic, but I do tend to think that it being portrayed in the popular media tends to add a little pressure for teenaged relationships to head that way, when they may not be ready for that. A little safe sex message slipped in though. From the point of view of the story, it was fairly predictable development that the girl sharing a heart gets involved in an affair of the heart.

There were some hints of the Shadow Kin getting fleshed out a little as characters. There’s going to be a limit how far that can go if Corakinus kills every other Shadow Kin who’s on screen for more than 30 seconds though. Didn’t quite know what to make of the alien sex either :). I hadn’t been that enthused about seeing the Shadow Kin return to the series, since both the CGI and characterisation had been a bit flat first time around. At least there’s some development in the characterisation and their design is growing on me a little.

And some interesting push-back again the prince carrying around his “genocide in a box” and a very Who message in that it isn’t a hero’s place to be committing genocide, even for his own people.

@pedant My slight concern (and would love to be proved wrong) is that I’m not sure Sophie Hopkins quite has the chops for a part needing such emotional range. She’s not bad, but she ain’t Sarah Michelle Gellar and I think her role really needs her to step up.

I was actually more on board with Sophie Hopkin’s performance for the most part, apart from the ending of the episode, when, for me, she really lacked clear menace/purpose in jumping through the crack. She’s meant to be channeling the Shadow Kin king’s sense of purpose at that point, not a slightly peeved folk-musician.

Anonymous @

@tardigrade

– at least for my tastes – after a slow episode last week

I actually really liked episode three. I don’t know if I saw it as slow? Just lacking in running in corridors and fighting aliens in a quick and “terrifying” manner.

I thought Ep 3 really showed us a fantastic character development issue which the writers could have been slammed for as, to my mind, the YA market seems to be about “action and reaction” whereas here we learnt a lot about Quill and about Matteus and his family detesting his gay relationship and choices (although the word ‘choice’ is a word used by the far right in Aus when choice is not really the correct term). I think it was a really good avenue to understanding gay relationships and not at all unconvincing. That’s strictly my opinion.

To me,  young people DO kiss a lot after they’ve broken up with someone the previous month and even if that break- up was heart rending. I’m glad it was addressed. In Ep 3 where Ram kisses April? That was a rebound thing and it’s still going although I imagine with his loss and Aprils that the two are meant to be together 🙂

But teens don’t often think about the long term.

I liked this episode a lot but I’m still putting Ep 3 up with Ep 1 (the key problem with One was the fast chatter and the shadow kin with their double swords!).

I loved what you said about the “slightly peeved folk musician”.  🙂  Awesome.

There is a lot of amusing anecdotes about “folk” and “musician” that somehow they’re nerds or not very clever with “real” music? Some of the great folk musicans who are around today like Bela Fleck and Edgar Myer are So not nerdy  -they’re super clever with the music they make. I know teachers who think ‘folk’ is for bad musicians. LOL if only they knew 🙂

@tardigrade

not a slightly peeved folk-musician.

I dunno. Have you met and angry folk musician?

@Thane15

Are they too much like Mordoe or not enough?

Watered down Mordor.

Good point re Hopkins – the edit may not be doing her any favours.

Whisht @whisht

Hi all – not much to add to any of the comments on any of the episodes so far.
    I agree with most who feel its finding its feet, and all shows have this so… a bit of patience. But at after a while that won’t be enough {cough}Torchwood{cough}

Anyway good things so far are the actress Tanya Adeola who would have been a perfectly fine Companion (and may yet be). “kids in the Tardis” be damned – she’s a good actress.

As for Sophie Hopkins, yeah I get that she wasn’t really able to carry some of the more emotional stuff in this episode (mainly the angry parts where she seemed ‘grr’ rather than ‘aaaarrARRRRGGHHHH’) but… hey ho.

Now, if her folk playing extended to more angry artists then maybe it will come.

and on that note….

tardigrade @tardigrade

@whisht Now, if her folk playing extended to more angry artists then maybe it will come.

and on that note….

Exactly the sort of protest song I was thinking of when I described Ms Hopkins performance- Billy Bragg also gives off a sort of “killer rabbit” vibe 🙂

@pedant Good point re Hopkins – the edit may not be doing her any favours.

Hard to know, but oddly I was thinking the exact opposite. In the scene where she’s battling the urge to kill her father – which I though worked quite well – there are lots of quick cuts, so it was more a product of editing than of her raw performance.

Mudlark @mudlark

Still waiting for this series to fully hit its stride but … patience, patience, and this episode has introduced some interesting possibilities.

As alien monsters go, the Shadow Kin don’t really grab me. So far they seem as two-dimensional as, well, shadows. And what is their motivation?  They feel that they have been born into the wrong universe so want to slaughter everyone else in it?   In contrast, the carnivorous petals have at least made their appearance in a nicely insidious and sinister way, but I have a horrible suspicion that it will lead to yet more gore next Saturday.  I found it scarcely credible, though, that Matteusz was apparently the only one (other than Dorothea Ames) to notice anything unusual.  Are city dwellers really so oblivious to the natural world that they would be unaware there was something odd about pink blossom accumulating in drifts, like cherry blossom in spring but out of season, and when there wasn’t a blossoming tree in sight, cherry or otherwise?  One thing which might be significant is that, if the solitary blossom we saw floating on the wind at the beginning of the episode was the first to enter the world, then April was the first one to be bitten.  Ms Ames said that they are not in any way sentient, so have they floated into the world by chance, or are they an instrument of something else?

@juniperfish

the new Head teacher and her beguiling rapport with Miss Quill. She definitely works for a dodgy branch of UNIT, right?

To me the Governors don’t have the right ‘feel’ for UNIT, dodgy or otherwise, and there are other reasons to rule this out (see below),  but they could just possibly be from a dubious offshoot of Torchwood – or, as @tardigrade suggests, from an alien outfit with its own agenda.  It would make sense, though, for an organisation dedicated to monitoring and countering alien incursions and aware that Coal Hill was a weak point in the fabric of space-time to take steps to have the school converted into an Academy administered by themselves.  I don’t know if anyone else paused on Ms Ames’ folder on Charlie when she opened it, but it contained all the details we know so far about him and Miss Quill , and also confirmed the fact that they are of different species who had been at war for a long time. At the bottom of the visible part of the page was a reference to the intervention of the Doctor, but in terms which suggested that the compilers of the file were not closely connected to him – in which case, definitely not UNIT.

The revelation that the Cabinet of Souls might be used as an instrument of genocide is intriguing, but I have a suspicion that it might be more sinister than that.  Suppose that Charlie was lying when he said the idea of the souls being able to take over the bodies of other beings was just a children’s’ story.  It was implied that the bodies taken over might not necessarily be of the same species, in which case Charlie could turn out in the end to have ideas above and beyond his own survival and that of Miss Quill and to constitute a threat to Earth in his own right.

As for the teenage and alien sex; I saw April and Ram jumping into bed so precipitately as not so much  Ram on the rebound, more an instinctive  reaction to their consciousness of having survived danger and of still being under threat. It was a phenomenon noted during the second World War.  Corakinus in his turn was aroused because of the link with April and his underling obliged, because that is what obsequious underlings do.   Nevertheless  🙄

winston @winston

@mudlark  I can’t pause my tv so many thanks for the info on the file.   Torchwood is also pretty familliar with the Doctor so who are the Governors?

I am still watching and getting to really like the show and slowly starting to get to know the characters. Miss Quill is a favourite because I like strong women and she is a tough cookie, but does she have a soft sweet center? I will watch and see.

Anonymous @

@pedant @tardigrade

Good point re Hopkins – the edit may not be doing her any favours. [pedant]

Hard to know, but oddly I was thinking the exact opposite. In the scene where she’s battling the urge to kill her father – which I though worked quite well – there are lots of quick cuts, so it was more a product of editing than of her raw performance. (tardigrade)

I think that was what I was getting at, actually. The work can be a product of editing -see Joss and David Schlamme.

@winston I agree: its finding its feet still, but Quill is a strongly painted character. Perhaps as strong as Tanya. I personally find Charlie not as convincing as I’d hoped considering I thought his first episode was a tremendous debut.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.