General Books thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Books General Books thread

This topic contains 208 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 201 through 209 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I hope you all good lots of cool reading material for Chrimbo. But just in case you didn’t and are in need of some SF-related material to get you through to the Doctor’s return, I’d heartily recommend the first two books in Becky Chambers’ Wayfarer series….

Missy @missy

Two more I recommend.

“No Glamour in Gumboots” by Marian Warren.

“The Secret Life of Cows”  by Rosamund Young.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

If anyone is looking for a fresh Who fix over the agonising summer drought, I’d heartily recommend the new series of Target novelisations, which are adaptations of actual Nu Who stories. Steven Moffat’s The Day of the Doctor is shaping up to be excellent so far, deepening the story we saw on TV considerably as well as being as narratively playful and inventive as you’d expect. I’ve also got Paul Cornell’s Twice Upon A Time and RTD’s Rose lined up too.

It’s like reliving my childhood. But in a good way.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish

I’ll chime in to agree with that. The Day of the Doctor is really good – the others are on my ‘to read’ list.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip Apparently, TDOTD has really outraged a lot of folk (Quelle surprise). I can’t wait to give it a proper read to see what all the fuss is about (I already know a couple of the big gripes). I’ll be interested in what others think about all the new bits. Just a quick flick shows that it’s packed with spoilers!

@jimthefish I suspect you will enjoy pg 123…!

shhh

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Just binge-finished it tonight and I can guess why it might push the buttons of those who insist on having their buttons pushed. There are a few times when you feel the Moff is enjoying tweaking some particularly sensitive noses. Still no genuine cause for outrage though. Personally, I thought it was marvellous. A genuinely affectionate love letter to the series as a whole, and its fandom. Oh, and the sheer amount of Easter eggs — it’s like the Ready Player One of Who books.

And RE. p123 — yay!!

Missy @missy

I don’t usually come here, but I am so glad that I did.  Shall check my library to see if they have TDOTD in stock.

Thank you all.

Oh, and @jimthefish of course Mr. M is tweaking some noses, that is what he excels at, and why I am so fond of him.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

Oh. Going to the city on Friday and have a couple of birthdays to provide an excuse to venture into the bookshop. It has been many many years since I last read a Target Dr Who book. I still have some up in the top room bookcase. But reading the above comments sounds as though it is time to start again. (and I have only got about two chapters of Colour of Magic left and am still waiting for the local bookshop to get the Light Fantastic in. Might have to pop in one day and remind the owner as I suspect she had forgotten. She did find another book I inquired about but it was over $80.00 Au and so I think I will persuade R.1 to borrow it from the Uni library for me instead.

Cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb:

Have you just discovered Terry Pratchett’s Disc world? I’ve the whole set of the series and can’t count how many times I’ve read them all.

Wouldn’t it have been interesting to see what he would have done with an episode of DW?

Missy

Viewing 9 posts - 201 through 209 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.