General Books thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Books General Books thread

This topic contains 270 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  Rule1 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 271 total)
  • Author
    JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I hope you all good lots of cool reading material for Chrimbo. But just in case you didn’t and are in need of some SF-related material to get you through to the Doctor’s return, I’d heartily recommend the first two books in Becky Chambers’ Wayfarer series….

Missy @missy

Two more I recommend.

“No Glamour in Gumboots” by Marian Warren.

“The Secret Life of Cows”  by Rosamund Young.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

If anyone is looking for a fresh Who fix over the agonising summer drought, I’d heartily recommend the new series of Target novelisations, which are adaptations of actual Nu Who stories. Steven Moffat’s The Day of the Doctor is shaping up to be excellent so far, deepening the story we saw on TV considerably as well as being as narratively playful and inventive as you’d expect. I’ve also got Paul Cornell’s Twice Upon A Time and RTD’s Rose lined up too.

It’s like reliving my childhood. But in a good way.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish

I’ll chime in to agree with that. The Day of the Doctor is really good – the others are on my ‘to read’ list.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip Apparently, TDOTD has really outraged a lot of folk (Quelle surprise). I can’t wait to give it a proper read to see what all the fuss is about (I already know a couple of the big gripes). I’ll be interested in what others think about all the new bits. Just a quick flick shows that it’s packed with spoilers!

@jimthefish I suspect you will enjoy pg 123…!

shhh

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Just binge-finished it tonight and I can guess why it might push the buttons of those who insist on having their buttons pushed. There are a few times when you feel the Moff is enjoying tweaking some particularly sensitive noses. Still no genuine cause for outrage though. Personally, I thought it was marvellous. A genuinely affectionate love letter to the series as a whole, and its fandom. Oh, and the sheer amount of Easter eggs — it’s like the Ready Player One of Who books.

And RE. p123 — yay!!

Missy @missy

I don’t usually come here, but I am so glad that I did.  Shall check my library to see if they have TDOTD in stock.

Thank you all.

Oh, and @jimthefish of course Mr. M is tweaking some noses, that is what he excels at, and why I am so fond of him.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

Oh. Going to the city on Friday and have a couple of birthdays to provide an excuse to venture into the bookshop. It has been many many years since I last read a Target Dr Who book. I still have some up in the top room bookcase. But reading the above comments sounds as though it is time to start again. (and I have only got about two chapters of Colour of Magic left and am still waiting for the local bookshop to get the Light Fantastic in. Might have to pop in one day and remind the owner as I suspect she had forgotten. She did find another book I inquired about but it was over $80.00 Au and so I think I will persuade R.1 to borrow it from the Uni library for me instead.

Cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb:

Have you just discovered Terry Pratchett’s Disc world? I’ve the whole set of the series and can’t count how many times I’ve read them all.

Wouldn’t it have been interesting to see what he would have done with an episode of DW?

Missy

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Just re-read Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, which was every bit as wonderful as I remembered it being.  And then I read La Belle Sauvage – first in the new Book of Dust trilogy, which I also highly recommend!  Part 2 is due out in October.

winston @winston

@cathannabel    I also enjoyed the His Dark Materials trilogy and La Belle Sauvage a lot and thanks for letting me know about part 2 coming out in Oct. There is a new TV series coming out on Netflix or Amazon , I forget at the moment but it looks good and I will definitely give it a watch when I can.

janetteB @janetteb

@cathannabel and @winston I too really loved His Dark Materials and I enjoyed the film though my main impression of watching it at the cinema was the cold, realising that what we see can influence how we feel. I was freezing during the snow scenes, it being mid summer and being dressed for Aussie summer not artic winters. I also loved the setting Svalbard, is one of those magical locations. (Just spent five days running a local writer’s festival of which the theme was “location” and so that is bit of a preoccupation at the mo.)

I saw the new trailer and it looks very promising. The series is being made by Bad Wolf Productions of Dr Who fame, and  I thought it was BBC so a little confused to see that it is being promoted differently but maybe it is a cross production. Most are these days.

I have yet to read “La Belle Sauvage”, but we have it. currently I am catching up with Terry Pratchett. I’m onto Mort which I am really enjoying. I do like Death. Such a great character.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

For my birthday, a friend – who was as dotty as me about Doctor Who – bought me :

DOCTOR WHO

TARDIS

TYPE 40

INSTRUCTION MANUAL.

If you enjoy pure genius, I recommend this book.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy A lovely birthday present and your post made me realise that we don’t have a thread for Dr Who books. Would be a worthy addition to the forum I think. Recently I met an author who has written a Dr Who short story for a Big Finish anthology. (which I have yet to read.)

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

Good idea. I have two others given to me by the same friend.

Doctor who the Companion’s Companion.

and

Doctor Who. Time Lord Fairy Tales.

However, the Tardis manual is the best so far.

Thank you for posting, I was beginning to think I was invisible. *sniffs*

This is after all the forum for all things Doctor Who – isn’t it?

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy

I would like to read the Time Lord Fairy Tales. I did borrow a collection of short stories from the Library a couple of years ago but ran out of time to read them all, always the problem with library books. I will be in the library tomorrow so might have a look out for some Dr Who reading, not that I need it as I am plodding through the Discworld books. (only plodding because I don’t make enough time to soar through)

Cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@missy and @janetteb   My son gave me a nice little boxed set of Who fairy tales and they have stories for the 1st  to the 12th Doctors each based around a classic fairy tale. The few I have read are fun. I have read a few Who books and I enjoy the audio stories performed by some of the actors. As with most things some are good and some are not so good but they are all Doctor Who and they fill a void.

Missy @missy

@winston

See if you can get hold of the Tardis  Manual – which I mentioned before.

It’s pure genius in as much as it is so well written, that you actually find yourself believing that there is such a thing as The Tardis!

Shepherd @shepherd

As a follow up to War Games read Players (1999) and World Game (2005) both by Terrance Dicks. As I look for new books to read I miss Sir. Pratchett and all the beings of Disc World more and more.

janetteB @janetteb

@shepherd I had the next Discworld book on order before the craziness hit at our local bookshop which i’m guessing is closed indefinitely. I think our bookshop owner owns the premises so hopefully she can sit things out but I am going to waiting some time before I can continue my Discworld reading sadly.

cheers

Janette

Shepherd @shepherd

Once you have finished the Discworld books read his other books. Bromeliad

1. Truckers (1988) 2. Diggers (1990)    3. Wings (1990) are great. The Johnny Maxwell three are very good but for young teens/older children but I enjoyed them. The Tiffany Aching stories are part of the Discworld or can be a stand along for a young girl coming of age. The last book has some subjects not for younger girls. Will give my daughter another year or two.  The Carpet People a very good first book. The Long Earth is the only books by Sir Pratchett that I did not enjoy and I stop after the second book.

Good to meet you. Enjoy and if you get a chance watch “Good Omens” and let me know what you think. Shepherd.

janetteB @janetteb

@shepherd Watched Good Omens twice last year and loved it. I think it was discussed on the TV thread at the time. Probably a few pages back now. Brought the book as a general pressie at Christmas but it is still on my too read pile.  It might have a wait though as I am currently trying to read some of the books from the Significant Books list that the BBC put out last year for a writing podcast.

Cheers

Janette

cadbob @cadbob

<p data-xf-p=”1″>WHAT THE FANS THINK: TORCHWOOD from Pencil Tip Publishing is now available to purchase.</p>
    <p data-xf-p=”1″>Drop by the Pencil Tip Publishing store on Lulu.com at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/penciltippublishing</p>

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

Is this the library?  Ah, good.   Where’s the swimming pool?

I just read ‘The Day of the Doctor.’ I don’t normally bother with ‘the book of the film’ or ‘the book of the TV series’ because it’s often a disappointment – the magic that the director and actors created on screen may not be echoed by the skill of the author. And sometimes vice versa – an author can weave fascinating patterns of words on the page that may not translate to the screen. And quite frequently the book, the play, the TV series and the film may be quite different works – looking at you, Hitchhiker’s Guide 🙂

But I was recently Googling for any interviews with Moffat (or the cast) of The Day of the Doctor because, unaccountably, the DVD doesn’t have a commentary (why is it so often the mediocre eps that have commentaries while the awesome eps don’t?) when I came across a page of the book on Goodreads. And Moff has a sufficiently good way with written words that I ordered the book.

Well, I’m pleased to say the book wasn’t a disappointment. It sticks fairly closely to the events of the episode (the Night of the Doctor included), with a few extra scenes added, which either weren’t in the TV script or got cut, most likely the former. It also has entertaining ‘meta’ notes before each chapter, a little like DNA used to include but more extensive. The only bit missing was the presence of the Interface in the background of several scenes (she was in the barn with the War Doctor of course), I suppose because two-thirds of the Doctors (who were sharing the narration) couldn’t see her. I actually missed that, since her presence livened up many of those scenes (the Interface is such a scene-stealer, and I mean that in a good way 🙂

So, it goes on my bookshelf, it’s a keeper.

janetteB @janetteb

@dentarthurdent (I hope I spelt that correctly..) I read Day of the Doctor at Christmas and loved it. It is so typically MOffat in style, witty, clever and imaginative. One of the best “Who” novelisations I have read. Definitely worth its place on the bookshelf.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb

Hi JanetteB

Pleased you liked Day of the Doctor.

You mentioned  Good Omens  in an earlier note – that’s a pretty good book too.   I particularly like the interplay between the angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley – two soldiers on opposing sides in an outpost who realise they have more interests in common with each other than they do with their respective commands.

I don’t know if you know Neil Gaiman’s  Stardust  – that’s pretty good too, and a very entertaining movie version.   I find Gaiman’s stories (at least the few I’ve read/watched) to be pleasantly good-humoured.   That goes for The Doctor’s Wife too.

Also Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels – I have all of them (I think), though I prefer his earlier ones to his later ones.   I find his Discworld quite reminiscent in tone to Doug Adams’  Hitchhiker universe, even though Discworld is explicitly fantasy and Hitchhiker is explicitly sci-fi.   But if you arbitrarily swapped wizards and werewolves and spells in a Pratchett for mad scientists, weird alien monsters, force fields and androids  I think it would ‘feel’ just like an Adams manuscript (or vice versa).

When I was young and foolish I favoured sci-fi and looked down on ‘fantasy’ – but now I’ve concluded the dividing line is narrow and probably fractal –  Pratchett vs Adams being exhibit #1.

The one thing all my favourite writers have in common is a way with words.   It’s a gift, I think.   No matter how inventive or exciting the plot is, the moment it starts to read like a police report I lose interest.   But if the phrasing is original enough I can keep reading for hours.

janetteB @janetteb

Was at a Friends of Library meeting today, looking over the local library’s monthly newsletter and in an item about new titles a name caught my eye; Alex Kingston. I thought it must be another Alex Kingston but then I saw the title, The Ruby’s Curse: A River Song/Melody Malone Mystery. It is co-written but sadly the other writer is not Stephen Moffat. I would certainly read it if it was but I guess he is too busy script writing the TV adaptation of Time Traveller’s Wife. Still I was a little bit excited about it.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

I’ve read books as Doctor Who Legends of Camelot but I’ve never seen Docyof Who books in my library.

Here are some reviews:

Thank you.

Clara Oswald @thetimelordwizard

Anyone like Rick Riordan or Harry Potter here?

Missy @missy

@thetimelordwizard

I hadn’t heard of Rick Riordan, but I have all the HP books and all the films 🙂
    >Have you heard of Terry Pratchett?

Missy

Clara Oswald @thetimelordwizard

Heard of him, but haven’t read any.  I 100% recommend Rick Riordan.

Missy @missy

You should try him.

He writes for adults – the Disc World series – and is very, very funny, as well as brilliant.

Ever watched MERLIN?

Oochillyo @oochillyo

hey everyone 🙂 how are you all 🙂

I might have mentioned somewhere but I am not very good at reading I really struggle, developed reading problems these past few years and always had struggle with keeping interest in any book apart from the one time with Doomsday on Demand choice book on phone that’s awesome and one of the main reasons for and main inspiration when writing my own book 🙂 oh and comics I read too but my reading issues really grew cause of reading them and all reading of books ect tire me out annoy me and I dont get far.

Being here a few months back I started a bit (I have been here a while) but started recently and as weeks carry on I am getting stronger and trying more and more trying to push myself and I have got better a lot better for me 🙂 finally got like 2 pages read in a day with this once book and yes I sound like a baby but this is seriously a big step forwards for me.

Now depending on environment ect I read between 5-20 pages at times and a couple different books at a time 🙂 look this is really a big step for me I finally have got a way to read a passion maybe its finally working after years more than 10 of pretty much nothing you know

Reading about this crew in icy waters and murders on the fishing boat ect

One about this guy on a London tube who used to be in war zones

Another about a guy who so far is on the Tube ha

One about agents

big book of short spy and mystery stories

Maybe another big cant remember all the names and therefore what its about while writing this 🙂

I am more likely to be writing my own book and recent events ect shut me down from that but yeah I make lists write my own stuff and now sometimes read books 🙂 especially when outside like out and about thats the main time I would read and bed time but not of recent.

Also watched this Harry Potter thing and it got me interested so I searched up reading Harry Potter but the sites I didnt like really difficult to use but maybe I will get a Harry Potter book sometime and ofcourse any book shop here as reminded of yesterday is only 5% English not even the comic books this time so not much there I wanted to read that was English ha 🙂 but yeah I am getting better I can see myself reading you know 🙂

Take care everyone and enjoy books 🙂 hugs 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I’ve been reading a lot of comic issues recently 🙂

About 2 I really enjoy and gonna keep going with the issues whilst still looking around 🙂

Yesterday I read 5 issues in one day which is a lot and that was cool 🙂

Mostly focusing on X Men comics at the moment, I have a few none X Men comics but if I am looking around its likely X Men 🙂

Ooo I found Xtreme X Men and it looks really cool plus nice characters you don’t get often.

Its tricky here as I may have said before or just to friends, book shops and libraries here have like 0.00001 percent English written books and the shop we went to recently all the comics were Portuguese so its tricky but online comics is sweet 🙂

Still working on my own team and really enjoy it 🙂

Take care everyone stay positive hugs 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

@oochillyo

Hi Declan    Reading is a good habit to have.   I was a late starter reading but when I found I could actually do it, there was no stopping me.   I became a compulsive reader – books, notices on packaging, ingredients, instruction leaflets – I eventually had to make a rule that if I had time to read the stuff on the backs of cereal packets I had time to go and pick up a ‘proper’ book.   I found short stories were often easier to get into than full-length novels.    Back in my day (about the time Titanic sank) there were short story magazines like Argosy – I think maybe they’ve all folded or gone on-line now.    But science-fiction writers like Arthur C Clarke used to write a lot of short stories, often with a sting in the tail.

You may be able to pick up English language books fairly cheaply on Amazon or Ebay (Amazon tend to charge $$$stupid for shipping though, with luck some Ebay sellers are a bit more reasonable).   Can be handy if you’ve found an author whose style suits you.

Anyway, good luck!

Oochillyo @oochillyo

hey @dentarthurdent 🙂 your words are soo kind 🙂

I’ve been reading comic issues and one was 64 pages or such and I got close to half way then went onto others.

One was 21 issues long and I aimed for 7 issues that day but got to 5 but that’s a lot as I said and I was happy like each issues is maybe 30 pages who knows so its a lot and much bigger volume of the 64 page one 🙂

I may have mentioned but I never was a reader like I wanted new books then when I try and new book eventually I get fed up with it and just reading was like a torture you know and others in my class read whole books in a day and me like 3 or so pages before I gave up on most and others I just got tired of eventually.

Then later on when reading comics in my room at night I developed reading problems and that slowed everything down made it really annoying tiring and like if I wouldn’t sleep I always knew trying a book would work ha cause just instantly tired me out reading even comics.

I struggled with moving through words, feeling like I didnt understand what I was reading like I wouldn’t remember and so had to re read over and again and problems doing that and concentrating all lead to broken reading issues I guess and like my first comic I got which I love X Men House of M I think one of the houses ha I loved it but even that took me soo long to get through. Probs one of the first books I’d ever finished apart from like when I was 5 ish Biff and Chip ha 🙂

But now not much to do or go ect no bike I try reading and getting better and pushing myself to keep reading the comics for example and get through my isses which still happen a lot.

Its like now when reading comics it can go really well and if it does I can get through kinda quick a few pages you know but if I stop if a word gets me like I feel I didnt understand the word ect I have to re read the whole speech bubble or maybe the whole page and the same word can trip me up or I just completly lose it and get soo stuck on the same speech bubble or page for ages.

Happend the other day took like 30 mins to read one comic page and I dread the pages with big word bubbles but yeah I still get stuck and I always feel like I have to read it both in my head and out loud in a way but quiet cause dont wont people to know I am reading so I speak the words aswell and the Bold words I dont know if your meant to say them strongly cause others comic videos I watch nobody does but I do otherwise why are they in Bold and I feel if I dont get the speed of the text and the sound like volume it would be right I have messed up and have to re read it soo all this trying to get everything perfect first time and my sort of habits of trying to fix it when I dont feel its perfect and the reading issues then my mouth getting try as it used to when I read at night all effecting speech ect I know it sounds stupid but these issues are true to me I developed them couple years back while reading comics and same happens in books but I am less critical I think when reading books but still slow and often lack interest so overall I am improving but these are the main draw backs of my reading ability let alone if I have the passion or interest in a book.

Its like I can enjoy the book and fly by few pages and keep going if I like it or I can enjoy the book but be like turtle slow and blocked by all these speech and brain reading problems. I dont know how to explain I was gonna try but its like you can watch a film and its easy peasy 🙂 or you can watch the same film while reading subtitles I know this is kinda different and I do it a lot know with learning Portuguese in Spanish speaking T.V. shows but its like that its either easy or the words and sentences slow you down as you concentrate really hard on them and feel like your not understanding so have to re listen re read and thats how it is for me with books especially comic books but I find I read more comics than books cause like the pages the colours art , less words even though sometimes its extreme and like the characters espically anything with Wolveirne 🙂 but my reading issues are more present there than books that take me many years to read but still haven’t completed 1 proper book ha

I can read letters normally read the things on the board at school normally and my book its just books and comics maybe its the fact I dont know whats gonna happen next from word to word or just the fear and lack of interest I grew up with in books but I loved comics later so I dont know, I dont even know if my reading issues I’ve developed have a medical term for them or cases of it maybe its just me and seems strange to others I’ve developed reading issues and ones that dont occurs when writing or reading this for example.

Who knows the teenage brain changes a lot its kinda like a re set and this is when I was getting back into books well comics the only books I really could read at the time and Doomsday on Demand was amazing 🙂 an app chose your own adventure book but maybe that’s when my brains was shifting a bit ha and getting back to reading after soo long and a new way to read in comics shifted things and I developed all these reading hurdles.

Lucky so far I can still read to others well I hope so ha and hopefully one day my children 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I may get back into writing soon I guess, sometimes I think its not good enough / who is gonna read and other times word doesn’t save it so just been taking a break and more happy working on my X Men team / power ideas.

I was wondering if any of you are writing your own stories and maybe suggest working together like fusing stories together maybe that could be cool and doesnt have to permentantly affect your stories I understand their important to you and how you wanna tell them.

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

hey @dentarthurdent what authors do you like to read book all kinds of stories from 🙂 also what kinda of books do you enjoy, do you have specific favoured tastes or anything could be gold dust for you in terms of reading 🙂

Thank you for your kind message before and hope we can talk books though I still haven’t finished a single proper book so you probs know lots more sweet authors and books than me 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

My fav ‘book’ well story is Doomsday on Demand the chose your own adventure story that’s an app on phone, I have mentioned it a few times and there’s a part two 🙂

But my fav book book is the only book I’ve finished properly since I was a kid as I mentioned – X Men House Of M 🙂

This was my first comic book ever and having Wolverine in it and obviously being and X Men book I got it and loved it 🙂

Its kinda surreal seeing the pages again (while making sure all is there) online  🙂 , trying to work out which X Treme X Men comic issue I was reading the other day through comparison on Youtube videos when I was looking for reviews  and only a small channel video matched up was bit strange experience but no where close to this I literally have this book upstairs and I love it 🙂

I have a few comics and some New Mutants 🙂 but so far this is my fav Comic Book and fav X Men Book/Comic though X Treme X Men may get there 🙂

So I wanted to share and here is a link to it then scroll down and go through the issues 🙂

The status quo is shifted from the start of the book in but I cant talk much about that without giving it away but just so you know 🙂 its a very famous story line in X Men but don’t worry if your fresh to what happens in the book.

House of M v1 #1 | ReadAllComics

I hope you enjoy and there’s other great storylines House of X and Powers of X focusing on Cyclops but I don’t have those everyone says there very good but I am looking at other X Men stories currently and don’t know as much about them so I haven’t linked those but search Youtube if you wanna know more about them 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I’m reading this new X Men Comic 🙂 (online) and its really beautiful the artwork and clours its like classic mixed with modern style and reminds me a lot of painting and like fill in the number painting as a kid 🙂

I’ve been stuck on the same page for over 10 minutes and the dialogue below which I just got to and couldn’t get through.

Since we are going out soon and I’m just struggling with the pace and words/boldness all in my head I am just gonna try later and wasn’t gonna post since about to go out but I’m enjoying this book a lot nice action and characters so far and like I said the colours and style is soo beautiful I wanted to share with you all 🙂

Sometimes the style and look of the comic is the attracting hook that you read for, certainly with me the look /art style can stop me from reading further if at all though this one is beautiful and easy to settle into.

X-Men: Life Lessons Full | ReadAllComics

Regards – Declan Sargent

Hi @oochillyo    Um, favourite authors.    Well, I like authors that have an interesting style of writing and a nice turn of phrase.   Doesn’t really matter what the subject is, if the writer is good at his craft.

In fantasy / sci fi, I guess I’d include Terry Pratchett, Doug Adams, Arthur C Clarke (whose short stories usually had a twist at the end).   Older writers – Arthur Conan Doyle, who didn’t write just Sherlock Holmes, he wrote historical novels and science fiction as well.   (I’m pretty sure the idea for ‘Jurassic Park’ was based on Doyle’s ‘The Lost World.’)

I used to read crime/spy/adventure novels too.   Such as Victor Canning, who wrote everything from historical to crime dramas.   And Gavin Lyall, whose ‘heros’ were always rather shady types flying clapped-out aeroplanes or gun-running or art smuggling on the edges of the law.

But I rarely read modern blockbusters, those 2″ thick things that crowd the shelves of bookstores, that I reckon are at least 50% padding.   I tried reading something by Arthur Hailey once, and decided it read more like a police report than a novel, and gave up.   I thought ‘The Bourne Identity’ was an excellent gripping movie, so I got the original novel, got about 20 pages into it and gave that up too because the author was the opposite of Arthur Hailey, kept describing incidental characters who had nothing to do with the plot.

I used to read a lot of non-fiction.   David Attenborough is always interesting, excellent writer.    (Everybody likes natural history anyway).   Books about climbing and mountaineering (though I get vertigo at the top of a stepladder), railways (I’m a railway enthusiast), engineering (like big bridges), physics and astronomy, and ‘secret war’ stuff like Enigma and the uses of deception (like dummy tanks and fake radio messages).   Not much history, though I’m sure there are an infinite number of fascinating stories to be told.

But for yourself – find a topic that interests you and (if you’re lucky) an author with the knack of making you want to know more and keep you turning the pages.    (And it is a knack, like teaching is.   At school, I was lucky enough to have an excellent teacher for physics and maths – he made you want to know more.   About maths, possibly the driest subject ever.   I don’t know how he did it but he did.   Well some authors have that knack – and some don’t.)

As you say, anything could be gold dust – if it’s interestingly written.

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I finally have a book shelf in my room yay , smaller especially narrower than previous but it looks nice and glad to have books there and decorate it differently but sweetly 🙂

Might read few of my comics 🙂

Oh I saw Aqua Man last night and was asleep near the end then like low volume I couldn’t hear but it was really nice and vibrant , Aqua Man seems awesome and super strong, I am more Marvel and watch Marvel probs apart from Batman and the odd thing here and there but it was really good and I like Aqua Man now and swimming today I am improving and thought of that character haha 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I never was very good with reading one I wasn’t very keen and struggled to keep concentration and investment in a book and two I developed these strange reading hurdles I’ve mentioned but I think even for me who doubted this for soo long, there’s a book or story for everyone maybe like love , just got to find what’s for you or surround in your own happiness like things that make you happy I mean good weather, family , nature and hopefully love will find you like when you find that random good book in a shop or friend’s suggestion 🙂

I am more willing to read even take my note book to the beach to read when we are sun bathing 🙂 and I really enjoy that enjoy reading my X Men team powers, my funny notes and music I heard in the day 🙂 and writing my own story , my own X Men ideas , projects ect is my own happiness and maybe can share that with people step by step 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

janetteB @janetteb

@oochillyo  I have only read a couple of comics, mostly Dr Who related or Babylon Five related. I read a lot, alternating between fiction and non fiction, mostly history and archaeology. My taste in fiction is broad, literature, sci fi, fantasy, and like @dentarthurdent,  I avoid the popular stuff. Currently I am making my way through Terry Pratchett. Wonderful stuff, and reading A Suitable Boy as well which has taken me most of the winter.

cheers

Janette

@janetteb    I too am currently re-reading my way very slowly through Terry Pratchett (I’ve got all his Discworld books, they have their own little bookcase).   Up to Moving Pictures at the moment.   I like the the talking dog (forget his name, haven’t reached him yet) who says “woof” instead of barking.

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I’m just thinking of sweet happy things talking to a really kind hearted new friend 🙂

So I was thinking what childhood books were read to you or you read to your family and perhaps friends , I think of Biff and Chip again or perhaps a new story your own adventures 🙂 sometimes its just best to go back to that warm feeling in our hearts 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Happy First Day of The Month 🙂 hope its a happy one for you all 🙂

Just finished one of my comics 🙂 thought hey why n0t read something and plus if I finally finish a book or two will be more likely to be allowed to get some more 🙂

Finished New Mutants found out the title of the exact comic issue is New Mutants Sextant pretty interesting and given a reasons in the book for the name kinda reminds me of steam punk stuff gears and vikings and like tridents ha 🙂

The Art work is beautiful , lot of my fav muntants in the book and after getting through some of the heavty dialgouge pages it got really funny towards the end and great 🙂

Really enjoyed this time , sure I read it once before but maybe not fully as later pages seemed new but couple hours maybe 4 hours of a good comic and dinner in-between 🙂

Chamber is soo awesome seen that character in few YouTube lists , I knew of Magix ect from this book then them showing up in the new mutants film was nice , love Mondo and Sun Spot being soo clueless at times was great and the Star-Jammers who I’ve also heard of in videos were great 🙂

Take care everyone read on stay positive hugs 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I just finished another comic book yay 🙂

Thor was really pretty pages , much quicker to read also probs cause most of it is art but really sweet 🙂 I read all though even Stan’s note book type section and at the end there was a big talk about the magic of writing comics ect so that was added time but way much quicker and I tried even at the end part the magic part I tried to speed up a lot and got stuck for a bit in the same sentence (I still have reading issues) but with a cold and determination ha I did it and it was fun 🙂

Really interesting Thor 🙂 he was very like don’t mess with me totally different from the funny Thor in recent films but either is cool cause I liked funny Thor but this was good too 🙂

Oh and ofcourse the Mythology names places ect was tricky to read at times but I got through and the surprise half way through was sweet 🙂 really nice I forgot how gorgeous the book was 🙂

22:12 started – 23:26 all read 🙂

Happy and proud that was much quicker than like 4 hours or such the New Mutants took me but was soo good 🙂 and still each book is an adventure and progress towards my reading strengths 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Hey Declan, that’s good.   Keep it up, the more you read, the easier it gets.

Oochillyo @oochillyo

We went out today , tricky things but mainly I went to see my cousins and we did 🙂 that was nice 🙂

Got home checked up on Pokemon news no new interesting news but that’s a funny sentence 🙂

So just enjoying Pokemon related content like lets’s plays and fan games then decided and waited till like near 4 to read a comic another one I am shocked ha 🙂

I had about 4 mins to go to the loo , and get the comic and laptop and note book all ready with extra dry hands to be safe , don’t wanna ruin a comic book and I did 🙂

So time stamps cause its been a journey ha 🙂

Started at 15:55 🙂 perfecto 🙂

Kept going here and there apart from moving around the house for best light or quite zones or comfort and lunch/dinner time breaks

16:49 I recorded like not sure why now ha then took like a loo break and such probs going round the house to 16:55 I was ready to read more.

Reached Chapter 2 at 17:19

18:56 Dinner time pause 🙂 was pasta and tuna sooo nice but I rushed it cause got to keep reading 🙂

19:03/4 not sure but I think I was at the desk and just saw the laptop time move I think it says back so maybe after dinner yeah makes sense yep 🙂

19:17 Chapter 3

20:04 I was wondering if I was even half way through ha 🙂

Start Chapter 4 20:29

Chapter 5 – 21:35 quite quick between 4 and 5 🙂

22:14 read the whole book woah yay 🙂

then 22:20 read all the extra parts at the back pages and the actual back page ha

Really happy 🙂 this book was much thicker than the Thor and Mutants one and quite wordy at times ha like it felt never ending like think half way by now when like 5 hours in ha

so about near 4 to half 10 hahaha 🙂

Was tricky at times and my reading struggles , but sometimes it goes well like I just sped up like 3 pages of heavy diagluge to get past it and sometimes the pages are big artist pages not much talk which I enjoy 🙂

Really good story 🙂 I tried reading this book ages ago like when I was reading the start of the New Mutants one and I knew what it was about and I would like it but found it hard to get going ect and like I must of got like 5 pages in maybe more but soo much new and this was sooo enjoyable and funny and randomly crazy at times like a comic book can be 😉

By the Way the Book is Chew 🙂 Volume One (Taster’s Choice) , I wanted to say what I thought first since its really famous little book series and I have book 2 upstairs ready for a long read tommrow hahahah 🙂 chew on that me haha 🙂

Really good the characters funny , like the main Boss type guy in a way reminds me of the Spider Man J J J is it 3 J’s ha that Jammerson 🙂 love that guy but in this book it was like that but more harsh at times

Really funny the love part and just it went randomly of course at one point I was like what then it hits you with twists ect and I still don’t know I understand but maybe I read for too long really good though lovely colours and art and humor and power details amazing 🙂 really great I would re read this slower some day 🙂

I know this is long but just wanna keep with the flow cause this book was sweet and I love X Men so not totally sure but I like this book more than the Thor one yesterday its just sweet and funny and charming and bonkers 😉 crazy chicken indead ha 🙂

Love the characters and the story looks sweet and was totally fun glad I push through for like 7 hours ha

Take care everyone stay positive hugs 🙂 loving books more and more 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 271 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.