General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    Whisht @whisht

ah @arbutus and @purofilion – in terms of linking its something lots of people have had problems with and the forum has tried to explain it on the Help page. Could I ask a favour? Could you see if that helps in making links?

If it doesn’t then its because it isn’t written clearly enough and that means other people are also being prevented from posting.

If its unclear I’ll try writing something in a post to you and if that helps then a Mod can perhaps update the Help page and help others!

we want your links! (including that elusive Kraftewerk link!)

🙂

Whisht @whisht

oh – btw @arbutus, when I say “harp” I mean harmonica.

[slightly embarrassed smiley]

I play it very very poorly (mainly as I play it very very rarely! though that’s appreciated by the neighbours!)

And thinking of the neighbours, can you imagine someone playing harp listening to this on headphones so all the neighbours hear is the odd parp and fart from me??!?!??

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht

That is exactly where I learned how to do it and it made perfect sense to me. It worked perfectly on my first try. Although I did have two windows open, one with the instructions and one with the page where I was trying to post, so that I could literally follow the instructions step by step!   🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht   I completely understood you! I did say that I once aspired to play in a blues band.  🙂  Somewhere I have a photo of myself in a fedora, with one of those metal rigs attached to myself to hold the harp in front of my face, behind a pair of keyboard instruments, looking every bit as ridiculous as @purofilion’s description of her Devo look!

And I must say, your description of the YT comments regarding Chopin is hilarious. Performance practice can be a real sore point amongst classical musicians, and it has been known to get ugly!

Anonymous @

On the subject of ‘bonkers’ bands, surely The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band must qualify – very surprised no-one’s mentioned them yet so here’s a trio of silliness… 🙂

Whisht @whisht

ah @fatmaninabox – of course bonzo……..

and I’m so glad you gave us stuff which wasn’t the usual (but brilliant( Canyons of your mind )

loving Jollity Farm btw!

Serahni @serahni

Oh dear, a music thread.  It’s going to take me all day to go through this and listen to everything.

I can’t even begin to describe my taste in music.  I’ve never been one to favour artists, I tend to just collect a heap of favourite songs and some of them are performed by the same people.  If I had to try to pinpoint what drives me towards some music more than others it would be one of two things; either I enjoy singing it or it tells a story to me.  Given that creative writing has always been ‘my thing’, it’s safe to say that I use music to ‘soundtrack’ a lot of my internal storytelling.  Some songs help me define characters, others just set a mood.  I also exist on the autism spectrum and, as some of you might know, internalised fantasy worlds are a fairly common way to unpack information and ‘practise’ all those intricate little social scripts that make the world go around.  I was a kid with a huge imagination and spent a lot of time plugged into music letting my imaginary friends help me figure stuff out.  Since moods ebb and flow, my taste in music tends to be vast.

I also did musical theatre for 15 years.  That has an impact.

So I’ll share a couple that I just happen to have listened to today for no other reason than they’re the first that come to mind!

(Screw it, just adding links!  I am a forum-flop.)

Come on, you know you’re seat-dancing to that last one.

ScaryB @scaryb

Great posts @whisht @arbutus @fatmaninabox (love the Bonzos – have posted a few upstream), @Purofilion (glad to hear you’ve recovered – much sympathy for your experience last week; glad you managed to keep your dignity more or less intact)

Bonkers?

You want bonkers?

How about Zappa protege Wild Man Fischer? (From around the time they were knocking about with Beefheart’s band (TMR era). And Ry Cooder as well I believe)

(This is one of the more accessible ones!)

ScaryB @scaryb

Now this is bonkers, but pretty fine as well, just cos he pushes it to the limit. Holds up pretty well, but can you imagine the effect of seeing this on TOTP in 1968???  (We were used to Pan’s People!) He used to use real fire on his head.  The one and only Arthur Brown – Fire

Whisht @whisht

@serahni – wow certainly dramatic story-based songs!
    Nothing springs to mind in that emotionally wrought style, but will give it a think…!

and yep – that last one got me up – thanks!

🙂

Whisht @whisht

@scaryb – you’re back! and you brought us Monkeys vs Donkeys! Well whatever would we have done without hearing that!
    Remarkably it made me think of something to share (though no one will thank me).

Ok, to set the scene – back in mid-90’s I went along to an “Arts event” in London that I knew nothing about except that Otomo Yoshihide would be there and that there was a promise of free booze. I only knew of him in that he was in or connected to the Boredoms, and only that the Boredoms did some ‘weird shit’ that I’d vaguely caught at a mate’s place. Also I was very poor and it was free and did I mention the promise of free booze?

So, erm, I didn’t have many preconceptions. Needless to say, even if I had, they were about to be ‘challenged’.
    So its an ‘arts’ space (very bare), lots of pretentious twits in black rollnecks (me included), general chin-stroking and a feeling of “When will it start? Has whatever’s meant to happen already happened? Will I get kicked out for not being cool? Is it really just one free beer? Where can I get more?”.

This isn’t the event (I doubt it was recorded) but its as close as I can find and does show his genuine skill in producing the noise.
    Imagine something similar, but with a rather dull classical piece of music with pompous horns being dropped in every minute or so only to be destroyed by very loud aggressive scratching!

I hadn’t come across anything like it before and so was boggled but really enjoyed it! Wearing the classical LP cover on his head was kinda the icing on the cake. He was obviously enjoying himself and ignoring us pretentious eejits and I laughed my head off. Glorious noise.
    I stood there grinning from ear to (splitting) ear!

“Bonkers” hardly does it justice.

Anonymous @

For @scaryb 😀

Arbutus @arbutus

Wow, everyone’s been busy on here!

@fatmaninabox    I Predict a Riot, hilarious!
    @serahni  Wow, some very intense selections. Definitely some melodious storytelling going on. Thanks for sharing them! (And I smiled to hear the Maroon 5 song, which is currently on my son’s playlist, which he regularly tests me on to see if I have learned all the artists and song titles. I did have to explain to him the “Jagger” reference, though!)
    @scaryb   That Wild Man Fischer is well out there, hilarious stuff. And I always did get a kick out of that Arthur Brown song.
    @whisht  Okay, this one definitely wins the bonkers grammy. That was exhausting just to listen to! I’m not surprised it made you grin, I was giggling away.
    And @fatmaninabox, that Peters and Lee clip just made me smile. Some things are just so charmingly of their time, how can you not?  🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

Here are two bonkers tunes from a children’s cd by Sandra Boynton, the wonderful cartoonist and children’s writer (among other things).

Arbutus @arbutus

On storytelling and orchestrally-minded rock, I give you Coldplay, one of my son’s favourite bands (thanks again, B, for keeping me at least a bit relevant!).  He recently analyzed this song for a poetry assignment, and we had an interesting conversation about the imagery contained in its lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJMxhvVf0o

Anonymous @

@whisht Ah S***  I woke up to that awful NOISE put on as true bonkerism. God awful. Come on, it’s 7 am here 🙂 well, actually…ah hell, shower…eat…run… Kindest, puro

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox  that’s great!  Did you hear the announcer being super-cool and saying “Pea- a -ters and Lah ee”? Can’t type the inflection!  Welcome back to @scaryb. OK, now that music Whoo hoo ? Well, the females could have done with under wire bras and the hair, oh my heavens!

Whisht @whisht

he he @Purofilion – yeah, sorry, that noise needed a health warning. I had to listen to a few YT videos even to get that one!
    But I do love something done very very well, and he really does control the noise well. Its also the ‘most’ of a thing done well that you could want (if that makes sense).

Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – ah, coldplay. I’ll admit that I have a problem with Coldplay and that problem is mainly Elbow.

Elbow do what Coldplay do, but so so so much better. I just trust Guy’s singing more than Chris’.

I don’t have a favourite Elbow song, but a song about ‘leaders’ reminds me of course of Leaders of the Free world.

However, for under 2 mins, this is one of the sweetest, most tender songs I’ve ever heard.

I wish I was in love with someone I could sing it to.

Whisht @whisht

oh and @arbutus I LOVE the cow osng and chicken songs!

and you even had a chicken song without resorting to the Muppets!

Well done you (as you can see, I couldn’t!)

😉

Anonymous @

@whisht

Oh, you’ve gone and done it now. Never, ever let me see The Muppets as I’ll spend way too many hours watching them 😀

I’ve just had the most enjoyable head-banging session ever…

Anonymous @

Sorry, I couldn’t resist

Anonymous @

Oooh, just one more I think

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht @fatmaninabox

I know, I know, I just did the same thing. Also went for the Bohemian Rhapsody (who could resist?). And that second track, I remember it from TV, literally from years ago, how is it that I remember that when so many other things have been deleted? Oh, dear, oh dear, I will have to stop laughing now, really.

Arbutus @arbutus

And @whisht, that Elbow song was absolutely perfect. I hadn’t heard them before, loved it!

Whisht @whisht

@fatmaninabox – yeah, I know, I must’ve been thinking of you when I put in the link!

That Bohemian Rhapsody is awesome – thank you

(but will I be dreaming of mahna manama..? ah wel, could be worse things!)

Whisht @whisht

ooh @arbutus – I’d definitely rate Elbow over Coldplay. You can start anywhere really (perhaps here but not necessarily), its all pretty good. Puncture repair is just more tender than most.

This track was played at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics. Although the lyrics were obviously written before, and for something/ someone else, when transposed to singing to the majority of Olympians who didn’t win, I must admit I still cry.

You’re a law unto yourself
    And we don’t suffer dreamers
    But neither should you walk the earth alone

So with finger rolls and folding chairs
    And a volley of streamers
    We can be there for tweaks and repairs
    Should you come back home

We got open arms for broken hearts
    Like yours my boy, come home again…

Anonymous @

@whisht  ‘in love in someone I could sing it to?‘  I know this. How it is. But it will happen: sorry, a trite cliché and I don’t mean to pry or say too much. These things are never easy. “All we need is love, dada da dadaa; all we need is love….” I have always adored that Lennon song. It gave me hope, during odd times,  in man and womankind 🙂 Kindest always, Puro.

PS: to all. After a day of teaching all sorts of different students -seeing/hearing these great musical excerpts was a life saver!

@fatmaninabox The Muppets. Great!

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht    Gorgeous song! Thanks, I will definitely be doing some exploration.

Here is a link especially for @whisht, @purofilion, and anyone else who likes the meditative and hypnotic. The Hilliard Ensemble performing liturgical music from late 12th-century Paris. (This is some of what these guys were recording when they weren’t doing Arvo Pärt!) Warning, it is a very long track!

Whisht @whisht

ahhh, @arbutus – that’s lovely – I love polyphony (but know little about it).

Will have to try listening without it ‘just’ being on while I’m reading. Makes me want to dive into whatever I’ve got on my hard drive (I used to have more on tape but that’s long gone so… erm….. just got The Sixteen – guessing you’ve heard of them. Just before bed methinks!)

😉

Whisht @whisht

@Purofilion – ah, don’t you worry about me, I’m very content, but thanks for the kind words.

Nah, I’m just a big romantic softy and that’s just an exquisite love song (though lyrically its not necessarily a lover’s song, but equally appropriate for a parent or sibling).

and I’ll forgo anything “bonkers” tonight as we have the purity of Arbutus’ polyphony. Maybe tomorrow!

Whisht @whisht

Pete Seeger passed away today, aged 94.

Anonymous @

Having a wander around Birmingham city centre today I came across a group of Peruvian buskers. Sadly, they didn’t play this…

@arbutus

how is it that I remember that when so many other things have been deleted?

I’m the same. I spent over 3 hours watching all that marvellous Muppet mayhem last night and could remember the songs word for word yet I can’t even remember what I had for breakfast this morning 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

It’s taken me 2 days to recover from the Peters and Lee exposure!! (but I thanks you all the same 😉 )  (And you come back with El Condor Pasa – beloved of Peruvian street buskers everywhere!)  But I looooove you for the Muppets (doo doooby doo doo. De dodoo)

@whisht some great posts as usual (and from @Purofilion and @arbutus and @serahni)

And indeed – the passing today of a legend. RIP Pete Seeger. I love this video – can’t think of a better way for him to get his own back at the people who banned him from the airways in the 50s – nearly 90, at Obama’s inauguration concert on the steps of the Lincoln memorial. Singing Woody Guthrie (who apparently taught him to busk and jump freight trains), with his grandson and young(ish!) pretender Bruce.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht   So glad you like the Perotin. Being a medievalist, I am a bit of a polyphony junkie! I am indeed familiar with the Sixteen, and was lucky enough to see them live when they came here (shockingly many years ago now!). Their Renaissance Christmas recording is one of my very favourites.

And thank you, thank you, both you and @scaryb, for the Pete Seeger. His voice was a huge part of my childhood, and then later, part of my son’s too. Such a warm and wise person, and he always seemed ageless.

@fatmaninabox, I think that Peru’s biggest export must be street musicians. We hear lots of them here, their lovely haunting pipes blending in with the sunshine and adding to the “mellow vibe” of Vancouver in the summer.

Whisht @whisht

ah @fatmaninabox – Incas!! Wonderful! Its hard not to listen to that and smile even if due to over-familiarity but it is great!

And it reminded me of something… a bit bonkers.

This is Yma Sumac and the myth around her is probably more interesting than any ‘truth’.
    Becoming famous in America from the 40’s through the 50’s, was she an Incan Princess – a direct descendant of Atahualpa? Was she a Peruvian soprano or a Brooklyn housewife called Amy Camus?

Described as being “female baritone, through lyric soprano, to high coloratura” (click for a great example called Malaya).

I’ve tried finding something catchy and accessible enough but that has enough of her voice and this is what I’ve come up with to embed:

Here’s another really tight funky Mambo – and crazy vocalisations

I don’t normally post two videos in a reply, but this was my first introduction to her, and the video seems to fit after the Incas! (though she doesn’t sing much!)

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht   Wow, that was a great start to my morning! What a voice. I was blown away by the Chicken Talk number. Fascinating back story as well.

Whisht @whisht

he he – morning @arbutus!

Glad you liked Yma! I couldn’t resist putting quite a few links in that post, as I was scouring around for appropriate examples (something with enough of her vocal range!).

🙂

Anonymous @

@arbutus  thank you for the Hilliard. What a mesmerising, delicately phrased piece with a true rounded sound only accessible to those who know how to perform the Medieval style? Generally, it can consist of very soft, ‘lispy’ pre-Baroque ‘cantata’-style (and over done cantabile) instead of this strong head voice. I love the head voice production, particularly. Yes, I attended lectures with Fleck and did some work with him -such a gentle, lightly funny man. Very focussed in concert, also.

@whisht  mornin’ to you (or evenin’) thank you for the Sumac: I’ve never heard of her at all!  How is that? On this forum, I’ve been re-introduced to things I’ve boxed up in the back of my mind and shown utterly new, bright things: much better than a shiny toy. I was doing some ‘experimenting’ with year 12s, and the much younger year 8s last year, and gave them some meditative music-medieval/baroque/classical and found that they worked quietly and were calm. I’ve heard that in the UK, certain teachers play baroque music in the background and as it’s a balanced sound containing few extremes of pitch, it also ‘calms’ the class.

Kindest, puro

Whisht @whisht

‘Morning’ Purofilion – glad you like dthe Yma (though you didn’t actually say you liked her…. hmmm…)

;¬)

I’ve heard about classical music being used to calm kids down/ increase their intellect(??) so how about playing this tomorrow?

I mean, it is Thursday tomorrow isn’t it?

Now, not saying this is the best Eno ambient track I know, and to be honest only came across it a year or so ago. However… its Thursday so I was hardly going to mention Music for Airports.

I’d only do that if @blenkinsopthebrave had been on here….

😉

Whisht @whisht

[blimey – if that Eno piece can stop a thread in its tracks, what will it do to kids??]

[ahem]

Whisht @whisht

Well, there’s been a load of great wants and wishes for the New Doctor over on that thread.

Someone slightly darker, slightly edgier, similar to what he was before, alien yet human(istic).

Obviously(?!) what sprang to mind was John Peel’s quote “always different, always the same”.

So, I give you

Anonymous @

@whisht – I can’t find anything for 12 but I can link to one of John Peel’s (still miss him) favourite band’s – Joy Division.

Nine Inch Nails did a brilliant cover of this available on Further Down The Spiral.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht    No, no, the thread is alive!!!!  I meant to post on here last night, but the comments in my “recent activity” sidebar moved out of sight and I forgot. (That happens to me all the time with my email inbox as well.) I played the Eno yesterday afternoon as indicated and it provided a nice eery background to my activities.

Re: Big New Prinz, I don’t say it often in normal life, but really, OMG. After that and Joy Division (thanks, @fatmaninabox!), I am thoroughly awake now!

Arbutus @arbutus

Still thinking about music for the Twelfth Doctor, but I think I have finally come up with something for Martha. I think that after the traumatic events of “Last of the Time Lords”, she would have had some moments alone, when she reflected on her time with the Doctor and where her life was going, that helped her reach her decision to leave him. Those thoughts might have gone a bit like this song.

Anonymous @

@whisht  no no!  I did love Yma!  beautiful. Throaty, sexy stuff: in your face at times (love that) and sensual, nuanced at others. Thank you.

As for Eno. Always a huuuuge fan.  I remember when I found out about music for airports and also another one associated with perfume…don’t know what that was, or, who he was working with…. That was about 18 years ago: well before your time whisht 😉

A song/theme for the new Doctor? have to give it some thought. Taught some little ones yesterday -13 year olds. Would that be your middle school? Also, later, some 18 year olds at uni. Both groups asked me if I was a Whovian. They became very excited when I nodded violently.

A hot, 32 degree day with strong winds and my young one is at the cricket for 5 hours and then 3 hours of soccer later. I not there! I have to clean house 🙁  Kindest, Bramble Rose

Anonymous @

@whisht oops. Well it’s out there now. My facebook name (which I’m hardly ever on) is Bramble Rose. I think there are a few of us: I happen to be the odd looking one lying on a flowerbed (don’t ask). Clearly work is mixing me up. Cheers, puro (got it right)

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave – enjoy!

Arbutus @arbutus

Also seconding @purofilion, this thread is loads of fun. Well done suggesting it, @whisht! I’m hearing so much great music: current pop and rock (not my strength), and also lots of great British stuff that I missed out on in the past. Do keep it coming, everyone.  🙂

Whisht @whisht

ha ha – don’t worry @arbutus or @Purofilion – this thread has been idle for weeks while the show is on, so reports of its death are exaggerated!
    (tbh I was only having a giggle at the expense of Eno! 🙂 ).

And I agree – its great when people start posting things you haven’t come across before or for a long time!

And for anyone thinking “can I join in?” then yes!
    For inspiration we’re looking for songs that suit the Doctor, complement a Companion or explain an Episode.

Also a bit of ‘radio ping pong’ happens where people respond to music other people have posted with something that it brings to mind.

Its also been known for people to post music that is just sparked by stuff in the news.

Now, all this sometimes, just sometimes, means that choons creep in which have nothing to do with Who (I know, its shocking – you won’t catch me doing that!).

[ahem!]

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.