General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

Sorry, but resistance is futile!

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – you make me laugh.  That was great.

@steve-thorp – oh wow!  Martin Mull!  I haven’t thought about Fernwood Tonight in too many years.  Thanks for the reminder.

And Wolfster (and @craig, you probably need a laugh too about now), in the spirit of Funny or Die, although this isn’t strictly music, it still cracks me up:

When Harry Met Sally 2

wolfweed @wolfweed

@steve-thorp – Nice – sort of summed up by the top comment: ‘LOL, tubas always sound like slightly more in-tune farting.’

@Shazzbot – I want to see those movies! Now!

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

@Shazzbot

I am afraid that I must admit ignorance on Martin Mull, although, looking at his CV on Wiki, I must have seen him on the telly.

I remembered the record from it being played on the radio years ago, and did a Google search.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Despite is pissing it down tonight, it doesn’t appear to have dampened the desire of people in the area to recreate the soundscape of the Battle of the Somme. So have an appropriate choon, and dig those eighties styles.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

We seemed to have started the weekend again with a poster with some…. provocative thoughts on a couple of thorny issues. If only I had a song to reference.

Ah … Dame Shirley, warble that choon just one more time, please:

ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks for Siouxsie and Shirley vids @phaseshift

This is for @wolfweed and any other Dundonians hanging around this site. And in tribute to the trailers which are also “phuhl o a number o things” I give you Saint Andrew (at his very best) – Crivvens, help maboab n jings 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Anonymous @

All the talk of trailers/minisodes etc made me forget that I meant to post this earlier during the discussion ‘On The Sofa’ about what our usernames bring up on Google image search.

The Bloodhound Gang – Jackass

and, just for the hell of it, my favourite track from ‘Hooray for Boobies’ – Warning…contains naughty words!

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just got sent an amazing piece of genius at work and thought it might brighten all your Fridays.

It’s Bob Dylan – Like a Rolling Stone, but as you watch you can change TV channel. Is a lot of fun, and must’ve been a lot of work.

http://video.bobdylan.com/

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Like a Rolling Stone

That is an absolute genius clip!

You’ve made my afternoon 🙂 Thank you, thank you, thank you!

How does it feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel…..?

Whisht @whisht

Just thought this might be nice.

Just in case it brightens someone’s day, especially if they’re feeling down.
    (haven’t embedded this time – just in case someone’s bandwidth is struggling to load the page)

Anonymous @

@whisht – thanks for that 🙂

By bizarre coincidence, I’ve just been listening to S ‘n’ G’s Greatest Hits which has definitely lifted my spirits, In fact you could say I’m feelin’ groovy 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht

I am now a blubbering (smiling) heap – thank you for posting BoTW 🙂 😥 😀

(First single I ever bought, saved up my pocket money – fortunately it was on the charts for months, so I had time, haha; it still gets me)

*hugs*

wolfweed @wolfweed

Elouise @elouise

If you need cheering up, you could also listen to what is probably my favorite song, Don’t Give Up by Peter Gabriel ft. Kate Bush

I don’t know how anyone could not love it 🙂

Timeloop @timeloop

Let me share this story with you:

Two days ago I woke up to my new alarm tone :

Unfortunately I was in a REM-sleep-phase (Rapid eyes movement, ergo dreaming). And I dreamed about Doctor Who which then mixed with the music. Which turned a doctor to the Doctor. Was quite hilarious when I came to my senses. For all I can remember it was a mix of all the Doctors with Tennant and Smith in a more prominent role…. Hilarious. Too bad most of it already slipped my mind!

Thought you might enjoy this little bit. Let me know 😉

Whisht @whisht

No real need for words from me.

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht thankjs for posting the Hugh Masakela link, that was great – like the pic as well.

I just found this on YouTube (thanks for sending me there) – the women have their say too – Nina Simone and Miriam Mama Africa Makeba. If this doesn’t give you chills, nothing will! A sad day, but a day for celebrating a life as well.

Elouise @elouise

@timeloop

I don’t get how you can do that, have a nice alarm tone, I would NEVER get out of bed if that was me.

Personally, I go through the alarm tones on the phone when I get a new one, and pick the loudest, most annoying one 😛

Timeloop @timeloop

@elouise I know the feeling. There was a time where I could sleep through 5 different alarms without noticing any of them.
    For a while I could get up later than I usually needed to so I first wanted to keep my rhythm and set an alarm but then my bed was just too cozy… So I basically conditioned myself to ignore a very annoying sound for an hour (the alarm would stop on it’s own). This then became a problem when I needed to get up early again and I bloody could not get up(how if you don’t hear anything?).
    If I really properly need to get up let’s say for an exam I will record my own voice or ask someone to wake me up. Human voices never fail to get me out of bed.
    The one I posted here is my new regular ‘okay, now you need to leave the bed’ alarm.

Elouise @elouise

I am currently upstairs, in the other end of the house from the loudspeakers, yet my brother turns up the volume so much that I can hear everything perfectly, to my dismay, not even @timeloop could sleep through that 😉

Anonymous @

Hello all!!!!

The Specials for these sad days.

Whisht @whisht

@timeloop, @elouise and @timeloop in terms of an alarm ringtone, I use the default one on my phone. However, I went through extremes for a phone ringtone that would actually cut through my headphones. I thought this would work as its the most ‘annoying’ piece of music on my iTunes (other than the stuff I dislike and put there anyway).

But it kept ringing at work when I wasn’t at my desk so I went with this which is far nicer* (and lets face it, if I have my headphones on I’m not going to answer the phone anyway!).

*warning – you’ll have to hit ‘play’ and may contain drum and bass you actually might like.

But thanks for the Caro Emerald – liking the jiveicity!

Elouise @elouise

@whisht I actually listened through the whole thing, in the frail belief that something else would happen…Never have I been so wrong…

Still, I like the Warm Leatherette more than the thing with the bells, if I used the one with the bells as ringtone I would probably walk around all day hoping that no one would call me 😛

For a ringtone I use the default one, it’s okay I guess 🙂

Whisht @whisht

@elouise – for this:

I actually listened through the whole thing, in the frail belief that something else would happen…
    Never have I been so wrong…

I want to hug you!!

I’m genuinely laughing and its been a while, so thank you!

Honestly – I know what you mean and yet you prefer it to Bells 2??
    My god woman, you’re a rare thing!!

🙂

Elouise @elouise

@whisht

Bells 2 is horrible…

And about me being a rare thing, trust me, I’ve heard it before, mixed with crazy, mad and evil 😉

Timeloop @timeloop

@whisht @elouise Lets just continue the ring tone discussion here, might be a bit confusing on the Day of the Doctor.

I usually stick to normal ring tones as well. Too embarrassing to be caught with something everybody knows in public. However I have been toying with the idea to switch to this one:

Sherlock is not really famous here (seriously they killed everything funny in the German version – they use the same dubbers I know from my childhood. It gets a bit unintentionally slapstick when you recognize Sherlocks voice to be this guy: and Watson to be this guy: Same with the Doctor. The guy who plays Matt has had 370 different speaking parts…. My mind is always trying to connect the dots and it’s annoying, really. Moreover they use the formal version to address each other [which is hard to explain because you don’t have it- in Spanish it would be “usted”]. BUT while they address each other formally, they all are on a first name basis. I cannot even start to tell you how wrong that sounds to me, anyway – I have been told that most people who only know the German version like it.)

Then again I should be fine because nobody knows Sherlock here (not that I am aware of – they might be hiding just like the Doctor Who fans).

Did you know (not quite sure if I can post that here or in the TV section so move to if necessary) that Sherlock has an unofficial theme song? Oh no! by Marina and the Diamonds

Because there is a certain line in that song: “I’m gonna live, I’m gonna fly, I’m gonna fail, I’m gonna die.” Which is exactly what happened in the Reichenbach Fall.

Cheers,

Timeloop

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht @elouise  @timeloop

Sorry, but if you want the real hot, slimy sticky experience of leatherette there’s only 1 person to go to! (sorry, it cuts off a bit short)

(Live version.. oh my, I think I need to go and lie down for a bit now 😉 )

Elouise @elouise

@timeloop Do it!

And that unofficial theme song really does fit, quite amazing 🙂

@scaryb

… I’m at a loss of words, when I got up this morning I had no knowledge of the song Warm Leatherette, much less that there was something called leatherette (look how clever I’m becoming! ) and now I know 2 versions, I’m amazed!

What will be next? 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@elouise

haha – we’re nothing if not educational! btw I think leatherette may now be called pleather.

::scratches head – how the hell do I know this stuff??!::

Here’s another song from the amazing Ms Jones (I love the video for this, and the production is great)

And this, from about 30 years later! (on Jools Holland)

Whisht @whisht

@scaryb – [gasp]

never heard that version before! Trust Grace Jones to add the funk!!

brilliant! but darn – I’m now much too awake to go to bed!

🙂

Anonymous @

@scaryb

Ah yes, you can’t beat a bit of ‘Amazing’ Grace. Love her even though she scares me 😉

Her version of ‘Private Lives’ is one of those rare occasions where the cover is better than the original (and I speak as a big Pretenders fan).

Whisht @whisht

entirely wrong for this time of night, but would hate for anyone to think that Springheel Jack just did ‘horrible’ music like Bells 2.

they also did this:

Hope you weren’t heading off to bed!

😉

oh and thanks @scaryb – yes that pic was something I did a long long time ago in another life.
    Sad loss.

Elouise @elouise

@scaryb

I had never even heard of Grace Jones before this, I personally prefer rock 🙂 Of course, it’s good to broaden one’s horizon! That cover of La Vie en Rose is actually quite good, though I still prefer Édith Piaf’s original 🙂

@whisht

It’s good if you like it, however, I get entirely confused when listening to either Bells 2 or that Bane thing :/

I don’t like being confused…

Anonymous @

Just bought Mansun’s ‘Six’ album (it’s only taken me 15 years to get round to it but better late than never as they say). Here’s a track from it with a rather familiar voice at 1:53. And the album cover has a TARDIS on it 🙂

Whisht @whisht

ok – so here’s a song for our Doctor.

The poor boy’s a long way from home.

Absolutely delicious music – hope you enjoy!

Anonymous @

For the Buffy fans

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

@fatmaninabox

i loved this episode it couldve been a train wreck but it totally wasn’t

Anonymous @

@tennantmarsters2013

I must admit I cringed when I heard they were doing a musical episode. I thought it wouldn’t work but I’m happy to have been proved wrong.

Oddly, my favourite song wasn’t in OMWF. It’s the one that Anya sang in one of the flashback sequences in Selfless.

@fatmaninabox

im going to have to watch selfless again now coz I can’t remember that song

Anonymous @

@tennantmarsters2013 – this one 🙂 There’s a minute of dialogue to get through first

@fatmaninabox

thank you so much! I remember this! It’s not my fave but it’s still brill! I loved rest in peace

@fatmaninabox

have a gander at this

Whisht @whisht

here’s a nice ditty.

for just about anyone and everyone who erm, might consider it (or has left already).

not that I’ll be anyone’s ‘dog’ or actually that I think New Orleans is all that bad.

Anonymous @

@whisht

Never a wrong time for Van The Man.  Your musical taste (and timing) is, as ever, excruciatingly good.  (from a long-time fan)

They do call it Madness. (Cole, don’t be stupid … )

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.