On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@faegrl – Welcome 🙂 Please, don’t be daunted, we don’t bite!

As your new and if you haven’t already done so, I’d recommend reading some of the recent comments on the Faces of The Doctor/Time of The Doctor threads followed by @Bluesqueakpip ‘s Wibbley Wobbly, Timey Wimey blog. And if your brain hasn’t exploded after all that, pop across to Doctor Who memories and tell us about how you first discovered Dr Who and what it means to you 🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

Welcome, @faegrl! Looking forward to hearing from you on the different forums. Do you have a favourite Doctor? Are you looking forward to Capaldi/Series 8? What are your views on parallel time streams?  🙂  Do you have a favourite bonkers theory of your own? See you around!

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

Okay I haven’t posted in quite a while… sorry about that! Though I have been watching Classic Doctor Who quite a bit recently, I keep alternating between Doctors though. Just recently watched the only surviving Daleks Master Plan episodes (Part 2, 5 and 10)… really want to watch the entire serial, but alas…

I dunno if any of you are also on Gallifrey Base, but I’m on there too if any of you want to say hi. Oh and guess what? Me and my sister are hoping to make some Doctor Who cosplays at some point.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@fatmaninabox  – Thanks! I shall check out all the goodies in a bit. Thanks for the hints. 🙂

@arbutus – I look forward to sharing much on this forum, it’s tough that I’m the only Whovian among my friends, so I have a lot to chatter about. Thanks for the welcome and I hope to see you around as well.

Arbutus @arbutus

I just had to share a couple of Who-related (in a weird sort of way) things that I ran across today. Killing some time on what is an usually cold afternoon here on Canada’s west coast (usually called the “wet coast”, but not lately!), I was playing a game on a new Scrabble app, and was advised that I could have gotten some good points by using the word “zygon”. I did a double take at that, and looked it up on the online dictionaries. All that came up was a description of the DW monster (with a nice photo in one case). I was really starting to wonder whether some game designer was having a bit of a prank, when I finally got a hit in a medical dictionary. Apparently it is a fairly obscure medical term. Oh, well!

Then, logging on to come here, my browser’s homepage showed me a promo video for a maker of acoustic guitars, here in BC, called “Riversong”. Ha! Does anyone know if the Doctor’s wife played the guitar? Or had a secret identity as a luthier?

FaeGrl @faegrl

@arbutus – That’s a very cool find! I never knew there was a guitar named “Riversong” before. And nope… I can;t think of an episode where the Doctor’s wife played the guitar… it would have been a cool episode for sure and one I’d remember. 😀

Liana @liana

I’m going to Utopia convention 8n May and I’m looking for a friend for share a room, expenses and a car, if he or she has it.

I’m a 27 year old Spanish girl living in London

@faegrl – Welcome BTW!

@wolfweed – There’s always a few Yeti on the Underground. That reminds me… Web of Fear is being released on DVD… must pre-order!

And I wanted to ask whoever knows, whatever happened to more threads being posted about Classic Series episodes? I’m a crazy fan of the old series, and was just wondering.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@monochromedimension – We’re partway through Quatermass and the Pit.

Yes, yes, I know it isn’t Doctor Who. But it’s both one of the precursors to Doctor Who and a marvellous slice of television history.

Personally, I’ve just made the mistake of nipping ahead to Episode 4. A mistake because I watched it on my own, at night, with a storm outside. 😮 😯

Yeah. Advice for those watching next Saturday. Don’t watch it on your own, at night, with a storm outside. Episode 4 is, um, seriously creepy. Seriously creepy.

The discussion on Episode 1 is here and the discussion on Episode 2 is here.

@bluesqueakpip – Ah okay, thanks for the info. I was wondering why no more episodes had been posted yet. I haven’t watched the series of ‘Quatermass and the Pit’ before… watched a movie, but that’s about it… don’t know much about it really. But it does sound interesting.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

Don’t watch it on your own, at night, with a storm outside.

Ordinarily, I’d say watching something creepy late at night, on your own and with a storm raging outside was the best way but, based on what happened to me when I watched the movie version on my own (aged 13), it’s very sound advice.

Sorry folks, but that’s a tale that’ll have to wait until after next weeks episode 😈

@fatmaninabox – Movie version… that’s probably the version I’ve watched. How does it compare to the episodes?

Whisht @whisht

@monochromedimension – I’m not sure how this Quatermass compares to the movie you saw, but I’d love to hear your views on it.

Why? Well, you love the b&w Who, and (yet?) you grew up with sparkly technicolour TV with lots of money/ sets/ costumes/ rehearsals/ pre-recording etc (even more so than a slightly older me!).

So it’d be interesting to hear whether its that you find it dull (as there’s no Dr) or intriguing or amazing in that did or didn’t do things Who did a few years later.

But no pressure – I’ve still got to reply to Phaseshift about Sandman (one day, one day…) for similar reasons.

😉

Btw there were a few Quatermass films so you may have seen another one (I only say this as I wasn’t sure if I’d seen this one and have a memory of what I’m sure is a film, but it wasn’t this).

And with Bluesqueakpip’s tantalising mention of the next eerie episode (bad Bluesqueakpip for watching ahead!!) it does seem that this is a really classic bit of TV.

@whisht – You are correct, I’m obsessed with the black and white 60s serials of Doctor Who. I do tend to like older movies/series, so I’m guessing I will probably like this Quatermass. I’ll have to find out what movie it was I watched, I thought it was very well done when watching it. You’ve now quite interested me in watching these episodes though. lol. If I do watch them I’ll post my thoughts on the matter in the appointed threads.

ScaryB @scaryb

@monochromedimension (nice new avatar btw)

I agree with @whisht @fatmaninabox – given what you’ve said about liking the early Dr Who stories, you should give Quatermass a shot. There have been lots of different versions, most them fairly average as I remember. But this is the series that earned it its formidable reputation. Andre Morrell who plays Quatermass in …& the Pit is generally acknowledged to really nail the character, although he was the third actor to play it.

There are lots of parallels with, and foreshadowings of Dr Who, and I believe various early DW writers acknowledged a debt of inspiration to Quatermass. Its viewing figs at the time were up to 11m/episode which is massive considering the no of TV sets at the time.  The production values are good for its time, but crucially, like Dr Who 5 years later, it was pushing the boundaries of what could be achieved with the resources they had.

And you get a blink twice and you’ll miss him sighting of Mark Eden (as a reporter) in #1 (who later starred as Marco Polo in the 64 Hartnell adventure)

@scaryb – Thanks. Gotta love the Seventh Doctor!

I just read a bit of the info on Quatermass posted in the first thread; it does indeed sound good, I’m not feeling up to it today (dunno if I could really concentrate on it right now) but I’m definitely considering giving it a watch. Had no idea parts of it were filmed live, and the fact the Radiophonic Workshop was involved. I love the radiophonics in Doctor Who, wish they used the old sound effects more often nowadays… just hearing the ‘Dalek Control Room’ effect’ from ‘The Daleks’ in a NuWho episode really adds to the atmosphere.

And that’s cool! But mentioning missing serials just makes me annoyed they’re still missing… I want more 60s Doctor Who to be found! lol

ScaryB @scaryb

@monochromedimension

mentioning missing serials just makes me annoyed they’re still missing… I want more 60s Doctor Who to be found! lol

Ah, be patient little one, and one day they will come back, yes, one day… hmm!  No-one expected 2 complete Troughton stories to resurface, after all (and they did a great job on the restoration).  But there’s no point stressing about it.

@scaryb – Well… not completely complete… ‘Web of Fear’ is still missing part 3… and apparently on the DVD release it won’t be animated; which is a bit of a bother. But yes, that was pretty amazing. I really hope one day ‘The Daleks Master Plan’ will be found.

Watched ‘The Web Planet’ today; I don’t understand why people complain about that serial, I quite enjoyed it. Also recently I’ve been watching various existing episodes from partly missing serials.

I’m trying to save enough money to make my Doctor Who cosplay… this is going to take a while. Probably going to have to get the items gradually over time.

IL1511 @il1511

Hello. So I’m new both to this forum as well as the universe of Doctor Who. I just purchased the dvd sets (seasons 1-7), starting with the 2005 reintroduction. But I had a question, the limited edition Blu-ray included all of the episodes and specials. I hear I have to get The Day of the Doctor, The Time of the Doctor, so what other separate episodes will I need to purchase.  Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Is there a complete episode guide someone could recommend?

Cheers,

-L

@il1511 – Welcome! I’m not too clued up on the New Series releases so its best to leave that for somebody else to answer, however there’s an episode guide here. It has all seasons, classic and new.

IL1511 @il1511

@monochromedimension

Thanks for the episode guide it at least is a starting point and a great one at that. I’m so excited to get into this series!

@il1511 – Glad to be of assistance!  If you have any other questions about Doctor Who, feel free to ask; folks here are very helpful. And yep, its a rather awesome series!

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/2014/02/doctor-thing-valentines-doctor-one-amy.html

There are many more out there. Just Google Image ‘Dr Who Valentines’
    z

Watched ‘Time and the Rani’ recently, I know its an episode not many folks like… but I liked it! Well the fact I’m completely in love with the Seventh Doctor might account for something on why I liked it so much… but in general I thought it was a good serial. Not sure if I understand why some folks dislike it so much.

@wolfweed – Cute card, BTW. lol!

@faegrl – I think this is a better place to continue the conversation as that thread is about the next Doctor. lol!

Anyhow, in reply to your queries… yes… a number of First and Second Doctor episodes are missing (Hartnell and Troughton). Its due to the mass junkings of episodes in the 60s/70s. HOWEVER, its not all bad news… sometimes episodes are found! Because of reels they sold overseas. Most recently ‘Enemy of the World’ and ‘Web of Fear’ turned up, both brilliant Troughton serials. (I have yet to watch ‘Web of Fear’ though, waiting for the DVD!) Unfortunately a lot still remain missing. 🙁 ‘Enemy of the World’ is AMAZING though, Salamander is my favourite human villain from Doctor Who!

I hope you like the First, Second and Third Doctors. They really are amazing. And the Sixth and Seventh are brilliant! I know some don’t like their serials… but I love ’em! I especially love McCoy! The Eighth Doctor… well, his actual Doctor is really cool in my opinion. Its just the TV movie doesn’t really feel like Doctor Who. But… the Seventh Doctor is in it at the beginning… I… usually don’t like watching it too much though… I can hardly stand to watch the scenes leading up to his regeneration…

I’m not the biggest fan of the Tenth Doctor, but I like him enough. lol! I actually really like the Ninth Doctor, he’s my current favourite of New Who (might change with Capaldi!).

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Yes, I did get the feeling that we were going a bit off topic there. I often go off in a tangent, especially about subjects I love so much. Aw, that’s so sad… I know the same thing happened to one of my favorite comedy shows, “Monty Python Flying Circus”… I have to wonder what the BBC was thinking in junking such great shows, ESPECIALLY Doctor Who. That like tossing out the Mona Lisa in a garage sale to me. :O

I’m glad some were found and I hope many more will be! I don’t want to miss any episodes at all.

The regeneration scenes are always the hardest, I think. I do feel your pain about Seventh and when I get to know him better, I’m sure Ill feel that pain as well. I understand, I like the Fifth and Ninth well enough, I respect them much. However, I’m a complete “fangirl” for the Fourth and Tenth. Capaldi may be another, I’ll have to wait and see. And I see something there with the Seventh, even though I’m just getting acquainted with him. So many Doctors… so little time. Sigh…

@faegrl – Yes I tend to accidentally change the subject sometimes, but I’ve been called a ‘Topic Dalek’ on here before as I tend to notice when they go off course and try to do something about it! lol

Quite a few shows got junked back then unfortunately. Some amazing episodes are missing, of course there are ‘partly missing’ serials as well, where you can watch a few of the eps in a story… but not all of them. They will sometimes animate the episode though for DVDs, as all soundtracks for every episode exist still, thanks to fans in the 60s recording it off their TVs.

Yes… regeneration scenes often make me sad… but its the First and Seventh Doctor’s regenerations that get to me the most as they’re my favourites. Even though the episode is missing of First’s regeneration, the clip still exists (they’ve also animated it now too). And the Seventh’s… its not really the actual regeneration scene but the run up to it. My sister noticed how affected I was watching those scenes when we watched it.

I in general like all the Doctors anyhow (the the Eleventh should of kept his fez!) But yes, I’m a total ‘fangirl’ of the First Doctor and Seventh Doctor. I consider both of them ‘my Doctor’, its so odd… but you end up caring about your favourite Doctors so much, don’t you?

Oh and a mention to the Second Doctor too (who is actually my sister’s favourite), Troughton is a phenomenal actor… and he is just wonderful in the role of the Doctor. His serials are such a joy to watch. He also wore a bowtie before they were ‘cool’. lol!

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – “Topic Dalek”! It’s funny, because I’m just in the middle of The Daleks serials with the First Doctor, early AM here. I just finished the episode, “The Survivors” and taking a short break before I find out what happens next. 🙂

I’m in awe of the dedication fans have for the show and it never cease to amaze me. It’s a good thing fans had recorded the show and the animation to those recording sound a lot interesting. I’m sure I’ll run across those episodes soon enough.

I so understand. I don’t remember or had missed the regeneration of the Fourth Doctor (I was six years old at the time, so my memory is spotty at best), I only remember the next episode of the Fifth and not understanding that he had regenerated. I called the Fifth “that other guy” for a while, because I thought he was the assistant to the Doctor, just keeping the Tardis warm for him while the Fourth was on “vacation”. It’s so really silly now, but that’s what I believed for a long while, until I realized that the Fourth had gone away for good and the Fifth was the Doctor. So, my mourning for the Fourth began so far into the Fifth’s seasons. I still haven’t reached that episode yet of Fourth’s regeneration, but I expect it will be difficult. I nearly cried for Tenth’s. The line “I don’t want to go.”  hits my heart every time. 🙁

Hey, I often refer to the Fourth and Tenth as “my Doctor”, even though they belong to everyone. I can’t help it! I don’t think it’s odd at all to love these characters so much, not just the Doctor but also the many companions as well. They just have a way of touching a person’s heart and becoming a part of you, I think. It’s brilliant writing and storytelling. I wouldn’t have had much of a childhood or imagination, if it wasn’t for the Doctor. 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@faegrl @monochromedimension

Really enjoying your chat about early Doctors, it’s great to know that the early stories still appeal to people. I’m not big on the reconstructions, though I fully appreciate the talent and effort that goes into them. But I have the benefit of having seen them first time around.  No-one back then expected TV to last, and film was expensive and difficult to store, so it made re-using seem a sensible financial option at the time.  OTOH it means that the likes of Philip Morris can now make a lucrative living from tracking down and restoring old 60s TV classics.

MD – re the Web Planet – Glad you enjoyed it –  had me behind the sofa when I watched it. People laugh at the effects now but on a lo-res TV back in the 60s it was gripping and a good attempt at creating a really alien planet with connected eco and bio-systems.

ScaryB @scaryb

Anyone else following the progress of the Minister of Chance btw?

It’s an interesting concept of film-making in that it’s independent and crowd-funded, but it’s being done by professionals.  And an amazing cast, inc Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann, who both seem to be promoting it as well as being in it (which is what drew me to it in the first place).

They’ve just launched the prologue (not perfect, but v good) and a series of audios. The audios are free to listen to, seeing the prologue (approx 7 mins) costs £8 for a “cinema ticket” (ie password) or you can donate various other amounts for various benefits, but the cash goes straight to the next stages of production.

Short trailer here –

@faegrl – Oh the first Dalek serial is my favourite Dalek serial! No other episode after it has managed to catch the atmosphere of the planet Skaro (and I have a lot of opinions on Skaro, in fact I don’t consider its appearance in ‘Asylum of the Daleks’ canon… but I can only explain about that if you don’t mind spoilers for the Seventh Doctor). How are you liking the radiophonics of the 60s episodes? Aren’t they awesome?

Any opinions on the First Doctor yet? You’re still in his very ‘strict authority figure’ episodes right now, I did forget to mention before that he can be very sneaky (like with the fluid link). But as you gradually watch through his serials you’ll find out he does become more of a grandfatherly, eccentric scientist type character. The First has some awesome moments, there’s this scene in ‘The War Machines’ where everyone else is backing off from the machines (even military types) and he just calmly walks right up to it.

I haven’t watched the episode of the Fourth’s regeneration in a long time, though I have more recently seen just the regeneration scene. Its pretty sad, I mean I do have to say I love the Fourth Doctor as well (who doesn’t!?). But my favourite regeneration scene (for how well it was done) is actually the Fifth Doctor’s… its so intense!

And indeed! A lot of people use the ‘my Doctor’ phrase, I just apply it to two Doctors as I love both the First and Seventh a lot.

@scaryb – Thanks! lol Have you watched all the missing serials then? Like… ‘The Daleks Master Plan’!? I really want them to find the rest of that one… especially the last episode.

And yep! I thought that, ‘The Web Planet’ does really feel like a alien world… I really liked the sets! Both ‘The Sensorites’ and ‘Web Planet’ tend to get bashed for being too slow… and yes they are a bit slow, but they’re not bad serials… they’re rather good!

Arbutus @arbutus

@monochromedimension  I don’t mind Time and the Rani, although I will admit that it is silly in places. But as I think has been made clear before now on this forum, I am foolishly easy to please! I loved the portrayal of the Seventh Doctor in the TV Movie, he seemed so calm and at peace with himself. I didn’t care for the treatment his death received, however, because it seemed so much more violent than any of the others, and because it was so pointless. (Although to be fair, I guess no more pointless than the Sixth Doctor’s departure, falling and hitting his head on the TARDIS console!)

@faegrl  Regarding the Eighth Doctor, if you want to get the best of him, you really have to forget the TV Movie and go to Big Finish audio. It does unfortunately cost money, but the downloads are less expensive, and a lot of the early stuff has been reduced in price. I know that some people don’t really engage with audio only, but if you don’t mind it, then that is where you will find the proper Eighth Doctor!

I haven’t seen most First Doctor episodes in a very long time, but I remember the Dalek serial well enough to agree that it was great. For one thing, the Daleks were new! New, and very scary. I also remember Genesis of the Daleks from Tom Baker’s era with a lot of love. I know the Daleks are iconic, but they haven’t always been used well throughout the run of the show. (Although I will admit to having loved the bit of Cyberman/Dalek trash talk in Doomsday!)

And by the way, I’d say that Troughton wore a bowtie when they were still cool!  🙂

@arbutus – Oh I do love the portrayal of the Seventh Doctor in the movie as well, I just can’t handle watching the scenes leading to his regeneration very well… even thinking about it makes me sad. Because certain Doctors can become very important to you, its just awful watching regeneration scenes sometimes. I adore the Seventh Doctor. I wouldn’t know which one to travel with in the TARDIS if I had a choice of the First and Seventh. They’re both awesome, I’d like to travel with both of them.

About the Daleks; they’re my favourite Doctor Who alien/monster… but they’ve been overused recently, and also sidelined in the episodes which annoys me. By using them like that they’re taking away their effect. I however like the episode ‘Dalek’ with Eccleston, because it was just one Dalek… and that one Dalek seemed more threatening than a whole bunch of them in later episodes. Though… have to say I like the Cult of Skaro… and the sassy chat they have with the Cybermen.

Well the Second Doctor is cool, so his bowtie is cool… makes sense!

Anonymous @

@monochromedimension I think that some people genuinely dislike the 7th Doctor and his episodes -which is a shame. I recall, during the various confidentials and mini-docs, before the re-boot, that there were some ill-suited conversations (probably pun intended -it’s early here, so forgive me 🙂  ) regarding his “ghastly jokes” and “unsubtle egocentric and occasionally manic ways” Whoo!  I wouldn’t go quite that far….:) No, not there at all. But, having seen perhaps two hours in total of Seven’s performance, I can’t or shouldn’t judge: interestingly, I found the Regeneration scene  as @faegrl did, very moving. I wondered whether his sartorial splendour (or “his dusty rags” as one writer pounded”), the clownish skittering and cross persona obscured the more pensive, sometimes abrupt elements within his character which then delivered the other clever and imperceptible differences, motives and plans. Like @whisht implied, it’s the nature of truly classic TV: faults and bolts, I’d call it (for want of something better at 7.30 am!).

I liked how Seven didn’t blend in with the general milieu (to the extent that Ten did for example), remained distinct from his surroundings, approximating the alien subtleties as well as Four and One. In the few episodes I saw of Seven, he was equipped with a bloodhoundish ability to sniff out the baddie and predict his moves: a grand chess player or a Poirot, just as deliberate but with a circus-act exterior.

Monochrome: how do you like Quatermass? I think it’s great. Not seen it in ages, so it was fab to find it on this site complete with teasers and reviews! What else could one want?

Welcome to @il1511!

and to @liana  .   As a Dr Who fan, who is your favourite doctor and your earliest memories of him?

@arbutus yep I’d agree totally with listening to Eight on audio: the best. I was given some copies a few years ago, and (in keeping with our weather theme) lost them all in a flood through our garage which drenched that and all my LPs of ELO (again from another thread), Tom Waits and the album Grace (one of my faves).

Kindest, purofilion

judicious

@purofilion – Very interesting post! Ah yes, I have encountered some people who seem to dislike the Seventh and his serials quite a bit on another forum. Same goes for the Sixth as well. There are a few reasons as to why, but some seem quite vicious about it which makes me angry. I’m fine with the fact if its just not their cup of tea, everyone is entitled to their own opinion… but when its bashing just for the sake of it… I have to defend my Doctor.

The Seventh Doctor is slightly egocentric, but I actually like that. He’s very unusual… one of the most unusual Doctors there is, he often knows exactly what’s going on but doesn’t tell anybody. This in turn makes companions and the like quite angry with him, perhaps some fans too?  But I love that mystery, he’s in control (most of the time), he’s clever and he knows it. But he doesn’t really brag about it, maybe some small quips every now and again, but if I recall the Tenth bragged a lot more! And he never managed anything as intricately planned out as the Seventh. The Seventh also just seems slightly untrustworthy; you never know what his plans are… and if he’s using you as a pawn. He’s just fascinating. My sister actually mentioned that she finds him unnerving sometimes (or words to that effect).

On the other hand… his first ‘persona’ is very different. I actually like both versions of him, I mean how can you not love him in ‘Time and the Rani’? He’s so cute. Playing the spoons! I do suggest perhaps watching a few more of his serials, some are just brilliant, but rather surreal.

Re: Quatermass: I actually haven’t got to watching it yet. Sorry about that! I hope to watch through the episodes posted in a few days or so. I think I’m going to like it though.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@scaryb – Yes, I very much appreciate the old episodes of Doctor Who! No offense to Moffat, but it’s way better writing, I think. Also, I love the fact that I’m enjoying the very same episodes that my mother, grandmother. and great grandmother enjoyed when they were my age or younger. I’m actually the fourth generation of my family to love the show. 🙂

I must check out The Minister Of Chance too, it sounds very interesting. Why do I get the feeling that I’m leaving this forum every evening with more fan  “homework” piled on top of my already looming stack? I love it! LOL!

@monochromedimension – I am shocked beyond belief with the First Doctor so far! In the episode where he picks up a stone to kill off the injured caveman, that Ian and the others were trying to help… It was so very shocking and hilarious at the same time! Wow… I think I like and don’t like this Doctor at the same time. I can’t help to wonder, “what will the old man do next?” I do enjoy the storyline off Skaro and the Daleks very much! I’m just waking up, late in the evening here, because I stayed up until past dawn trying to view all of the Dalek serials, because I wanted to find out what happens next! However I lost the fight and only made it to episode “The Expedition” before my eyes closed shut and my head hit the keyboard. I’ll watch more tonight and look forward to it! 😀

Also, I have to say that I love the whole witty banter between the Dalek and Cybermen in the newer series too! I never laughed so hard in my entire life!

@arbutus – Thanks for the tip about Big Finish audio! When I have the money, I’ll check it out for sure (starving “artist” here. lol). I still want to check out the TV/Movie for the Eight and will… It’s like the more fans tell me to skip that one, the more I want to see it! I’m terrible with that. I’m the type that if someone said to me, “Don’t push that button! It will destroy the world!” I would find myself pushing that button! Not that I want the world to be destroyed at all, but I’d be too curious to find out if the world really does end or not. I must see how horrible this movie is for myself, otherwise I’ll always wonder about it and it will drive me nuts!

I’m fine with the fact if its just not their cup of tea, everyone is entitled to their own opinion… but when its bashing just for the sake of it… I have to defend my Doctor.

I’ll always agree with this. I never understood, and doubt that I ever will, when people bash just for the sake of it. Even though I do not fancy the Eleventh Doctor, I still respect him much, because he’s the Doctor all the same. When things get ugly and people want to fight over it, I tend to shy away from those forums or chatrooms. I’m so glad that people keep it pretty civil and flame wars do not happen here. 🙂

@faegrl – Ah yes, the infamous rock scene. Just you wait till the next (rather short) serial after the Daleks. He acts very untrusting of Ian and Barbara. Its only after that does this TARDIS team start to work together properly (unfortunately the fourth serial is missing completely!). But you gradually start to notice him changing and becoming more caring. Really interesting hearing what you think of the serials/characters!

And yes I like all the Doctors in general, just some more than others. But I care about all of them because… they are the Doctor!

Oh and talking about the Seventh Doctor (again!), I did mention I was planning on making a cosplay. Well it happens to be a femme Seventh Doctor cosplay. I’m hoping to buy a Optimo Panama Hat pretty soon, and also the question mark sweater and paisley scarf on the BBC store for it. Going for his off-white coat outfit, rather than the brown coat. Once I make some progress with it, I might have to post about it in the Fan Creativity forum here.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Yes, I think I’ll forever have that image in my mind, of the Doctor willing to beat someone with a rock forever! And his response when he was caught, I laughed so much! I like him for that, yet don’t like him for it at the same time. It’s a weird feeling I have for him right now. I love Ian and Barbara from the start… not so much with Susan. Is she whiny for the entire seasons? And I don’t now what to make of the way she “run”, with her hands all over the place dramatically. Hmm…

Either way, I do believe that I love the cast so far! I look forward to the First becoming more caring and less cranky, in the following episodes. 🙂

Coolies! I’ve always admire the talents of those who cosplay. I haven’t tried it myself, but a Doctor Who cosplay sounds beyond awesome! I would love to see photos of your costume for sure, when it’s assembled.

Anonymous @

@faegrl if you watch  the documentaries about the culture of this period, you’ll see interviews with the actress playing Susan. She is herself a very modern woman and even at the time believed the girlish screaming, hands in the air and ‘running to grand-daddy’ was very much an image of the 50s and early 60s. What could one do? She was asked to act in this manner.

Kindest, purofilion

sentimental

FaeGrl @faegrl

@purofilion – Oh, I see. Well, I meant no offensive to the actress or to Susan fans. My judgments do come off a little too scathing sometimes, more than I mean them to, and I do apologize. What I meant to convey is that I think Susan is a bit too “weird”, even for me… and I’m a proud weirdo, however that’s just me. There may be a generation gap, as I don’t understand the hands in the air running bit at all or how it could be the image of the 50’s or 60’s. Well… I can understand a little… people younger than me don’t understand the over dramatics within old 80’s movies, yet I understand it, with the “We’re happy now! Oops… now we’re sad. No wait, we’re happy again!” mood shifts in acting. That was SO much the 80’s era in general, so perhaps it’s more like that? The only documentary I’ve had the pleasure of watching involving Doctor Who was that about Daleks. I’m a student of the show, just learning more of it as I go along. 🙂

@faegrl – When I first saw the scene I was like “what the heck is the Doctor doing…!?”, but in a way it really shows how ‘alien’ he is at first with how he acts. Oh and Ian and Barbara are awesome companions! In fact Ian is my favourite companion from Doctor Who. He and the Doctor later on make a great (but rather funny) team in a number of episodes. And Barbara is great because she can often take control of a situation when separated from the Doctor, which is nice to see in a 60s series. Of course there is the random screaming you get from female companions, but it was the times. lol! Though you still get random screaming in the 80s too… like Mel! (And for the record… I like Mel!)

And thanks! Its going to take me a while to get all the items I need, but I really want to make this cosplay. My sister is also thinking of making a femme Second Doctor cosplay… she already has similar hair to his. Good thing is she’s a bit taller than me, and the Second Doctor is a bit taller than the Seventh Doctor… so it makes sense!

Guess what! I bought a Panama Hat! A real Panama Hat too. The same style as the Seventh Doctor’s (not the easiest to find, its much easier to find a Panama like the Fifth’s it seems). It will be perfect for my cosplay… I just need to find something to use as the paisley hat band. But for now I guess I have to save up money for that question mark sweater and paisley scarf. I think I’m going to wear a number of these cosplay items normally too… I love the Seventh Doctor’s style.

Anonymous @

@faegrl  not at all. I know you weren’t being offensive! I was just pointing out that the actress herself felt that it was a little unnecessary to behave in this way -after all, she was seeing the universe and would expect to be less ‘screamy’ and dramatic. But, as the actress said, ‘that was how it was supposed to be, then. You just did it.’ Recently, in a documentary released before the Anniversary, she looked great, was very positive and had a mischievous quality that was often missing from her performance. Nonetheless, she infused a subtlety into the role in 1963 which ensured she was well liked.

Kindest, purofilion

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – LOL! Yes, that’s very similar to my experience of the rock scene! I gasped, my mouth wide open in shock, and I yelled out, “WHAT?” I couldn’t believe the Doctor was doing that, it was so disturbing, yet hilarious at the same time. Although, I love that I’m getting to see the Doctor when he was more alien, I love it when characters go through an arch of development in any story. Oh, and I complete adore it when there’s random screaming or fainting in old films or shows! So, I don’t mind Barbara at all for that. I also love the dramatic “dun, dun, dun!” music to signify something terrible has or is about to happen. I miss that in movies and shows of today, to be honest. I grew up on the old black and white films and comedy acts.

Congrats on finding Panama Hat! It sounds like you’re well on your way for the best cosplay costume yet! And I do like Seventh’s style, I don’t see why you couldn’t wear it in general. 😉

@purofilion – Okay, whew… I was nervous that I had offended you for a moment there! I do tend to be a little too blunt sometimes, without meaning to be. This is why I like the Tenth so much, because he also has that problem, like when he told Donna that she wasn’t important or special, but he really meant that he couldn’t find the reason why she appeared on the Tardis (her response to that was hilarious), he was just too blunt without meaning to be, I think. I have those slip of the tongue as well. I’m glad that you didn’t take offense. And what’s the name of this documentary? I would love to see it, because I always love to see how well old characters have aged. When Sarah Jane Smith returned, I was a lot excited to see her again and was in awe that she really didn’t age a day since the Fourth Doctor! And I was sad when I heard of her passing… I haven’t gotten to her spin-off show yet, but I will.

@faegrl – I always found Barbara’s overreaction to the melted clock rather amusing, especially when she throws he own watch away. So random! And yes, the “dun, dun, dun!” music is awesome! I actually like a lot of the music in Classic Who… especially the radiophonics… some epic sounds right there!

You know a lot of folks seem to think the First Doctor is just grumpy and strict, but he has his moments of being silly, like all the other Doctors.

And thanks! Its probably going to take me a while to get all the items though! lol

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Oh… have you tried searching for items of Amazon yet? I sometimes see merchants who sell costume items for specifically for cosplay. I once looked for the Fourth Doctor’s scarf, just because I wanted it for winter (I’m silly), they had quite a few there. Maybe you could find items for the Seventh there?

@faegrl – Oh yes, actually amazon also sells the question mark sweater and paisley scarf I think. I usually check eBay as well for items, also somebody on etsy makes the question mark handle for the Seventh Doctor’s umbrella. Which will be very useful! Got to have the umbrella!

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Wow, I didn’t know that Etsy had Doctor Who items! I have to give that site another look then, I’m always on the hunt for Doctor Who items. And yes, you must have the umbrella! I don’t know the Seventh too well yet, but I remember the umbrella. That’s like the Fourth without his scarf. LOL!

I have to finish watching the other Doctor Who episodes, so I can see the reaction of Barbara with the melted clock. It sounds hilarious. I wasted part of my morning with silly Youtube videos once again, it’s a bad habit of mine.

Anonymous @

@faegrl no problem. I’m not sure of the name of the doco as it came out around the time of the Anniversary Specials which included a lot of little interviews with various cast members including Barbara and Ian and of course, Susan. I would expect YTube would show some of these interviews -maybe search for Mark Gattis as he put together quite a few. His intense love for the show and all things Who is a touching tribute.

Kindest, purofilion

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.