S31 (5) 10 – Vincent and the Doctor

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S31 (5) 10 – Vincent and the Doctor

This topic contains 56 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave Totally agree. Curran is excellent. Matt Smith said last night on Twitter that Curran slept all night in the bed before the anger/depression scene to get in to character. He really is fantastic in the role, that’s why I liked his little video tweet the most.

@jimthefish I forgot about “Yesterday” which my parents made me watch and that was okay, mostly because the actors were really good. Haven’t seen “About Time”. But both seem reasonably high concept, alternate world type stories so maybe this was a “moment” for Richard Curtis.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish A little anecdote. I was seeing an Australian girl around 2003 (roughly) and “Love Actually” was on the TV one night and all her flatmates wanted to watch it. So I sat quietly and watched it, hated it all over again, but when it finished they all said how much they loved it.

I couldn’t contain myself and started my rant about how bad it is, how it exploits the tragedy of 9/11, then makes fun of a kid running through airport security (how can you reconcile those two parts of a story’s theme I don’t know?), and the awful, really awful, like, terrible, terrible treatment of the female characters.

The relationship managed to survive that. But then we went to Australia for Christmas to see her family. And her Mum said “I’ve rented my favourite Christmas movie for tonight”. Yes, it was “Love Actually”. My girlfriend looked at me with a “shut your face” look. So I shut my face.

We didn’t last much longer though. I’m not saying it was Curtis’ fault, there was a lot more going on, but I think he may have played a part.

winston @winston

@craig   That was as good as it gets! This is one of my faves and my daughters absolute favourite episode.The only thing that stops me from watching it more often is just how sad it is. We both cry at the end every time.Poor Vincent, that’s all I can say and poor Amy who thought she had fixed him. I have family members who suffer from and are treated for depression and Curran’s portrayal is very real. He was excellent and this is one of the most human portrayals of a historic person on Who.Of course just my humble and non-critical opinion.

The scene where Vincent casually pulls a painting off the wall and covers it with white paint to the horrified gasps of Amy and the Doctor is very funny as are many other parts of this episode. So it is funny and sad and hopeful.It has all the feels you need.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig

Well, Richard Curtis getting the blame for romantic gloom rather than vice versa. There’s a certain irony there, I suppose.

@blenkinsopthebrave

I agree. It’s Curran’s performance that makes this episode and it’s definitely the best portrayal of a historical figure in Who. Only Vinette Robinson as Rosa comes even close. Normally they have a much more broadstroke, almost Horrible Histories edge to them. (Yes, I’m looking at you Simon Callow.)

And I must admit that this rewatch has prompted me to finally read that copy of Lust for Life that’s been sitting on my shelf unloved and untouched for years.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@blenkinsopthebrave

Agreed. Everything just works with this one: not just Curran’s performance, but Karen Gillan’s performance as someone grieving but not understanding why. And then there’s Matt Smith, being nice to Amy without being able to explain why.

It all just – works. A dramatic poem on the subject of depression and grief.

janetteB @janetteb

Finally caught up with Vincent. For some reason I have not re watched this episode often perhaps because it is a bit sad but it is really more uplifiting. The Doctor cannot “mend” Vincent, he cannot change what will happen but he does give Vincent the knowledge that his life has not been wasted, that he woks are going to be appreciated one day and that he will bring joy to so many people. If only, if only, that were real. The ending of the recent episode about Tesla reminded me of this story, when Yaz realises that they cannot save Tesla but here the Doctor does not simply walk away. He is able to still make a difference.

cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip

Wonderful story. I am biased because my admiration for Van Gogh’s work began when I was around 11 years old, and have five prints (large ones) on my walls.

Missy

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.