The Kebab & Calculator

Home Forums General The Kebab & Calculator

This topic contains 567 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  syzygy 4 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 551 through 568 (of 568 total)
  • Author
    Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thane16 not to mention that there’s a lot of literary theory stuff and intertextuality that can be applied. For example, are the ‘theories even more insane than what’s actually happening’ rendered invalid by Moffat’s (in particular) intent? Are a lot of negative fan reactions down to an old fashioned insistence on ‘Influence’ (insisting on the primacy of established canon) over appreciating old and new Who as works created by, and reflecting, and being reflected by, the contexts in which the episodes are made? See, I’m working!

Yes I think most of the quotes of that usage involved irony, if not a touch of sneering. The word tends to indicate a kind of subordination: to a Knight, to a woman in the mostly illusionary courtly idea of a lover being subordinate to his lady (unlike a husband to his wife). Part of the comedy is the idea of such subordination… So the leap to middle-class landowners is interesting.

The way the course is structured, this block ends at the end of this month, the next one is three months long, (this first one is two months) I think that is partly to allow for Christmas. So after this, assignment one, the next one is due at the end of January.

@thane16

I don’t think anyone would argue that a persons male- or female- (or fluid)-ness doesn’t matter, just that whatever they choose to do is not defined by gender. And (as we discussed some time ago, re voice timbre ATCs) there are times when qualities women bring to a task are quite specific. But that example is germane: it is not, in any way, stereotypical or confining – quite the opposite, it is one of the most high pressure jobs in aviation. Research made the insight, not several centuries of treating women as chattels or whores.

You really need to watch Dickinson

syzygy @thane16

@miapatrick

over appreciating old and new Who as works created by, and reflecting, and being reflected by, the contexts in which the episodes are made? …

Oh good Lord! The intertextualposttextual-analysis would age me. But I can imagine a dalek-y ‘voice’

you are not pro-gress-ing inter-textually speak-ing & so exter-min-a-tion is the final anal-y-sis. Ex-ter-min-ate.

@pedant Yes! we did discuss ATCs. For a second, I was madly attempting to uhm, gee, ‘work out’ what it stood for. 🙂 But that came easy.

The fluidity of say, a performance by a dramatic coloratura of  The Queen of The Night or a beenindruckend fundamental of a 100Hz demonstrates the tessitura of female and male vocals we talked about before.  My thoughts beyond that specific area of expertise are lacking in spirit: My learned brain knows what femininity or masculinity is but maybe a tiny portion of that mind is broken.  So I seek other’s opinions. In reading comments on the other thread, it’s a good thing to seek!

The link by @toinfinityandbepond is a thing of beauty.

Thanks for Dickinson. It’s so beautiful & like everything you’ve ever suggested it will affect me deeply (I remember the excitement from Buffy & The Leftovers and 13 RW)

But 1st I need to get the iphone.  Or an ipod:  forces me to walk without my old CD Walkman -yet the latter has better acoustic. I’m under strict instructions to NOT buy Spawn a gift. The hide of the little s*it! I arrived home with the shopping & I got the look. Not THIS look. But this: “you bought THOSE chocolates. Why did you buy these drinks? Or these lollies?”

My answer? Because I survived high school. Twice  🙂

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thane16: I’ve just read that Barthes died after being  knocked down by a laundry van, and I can’t help imagining a disgruntled author pulling off his disguise and cackling manically as he drives down the street…

syzygy @thane16

@miapatrick

I had to read that twice.

“the birth of the reader must be required by the death of the author.” I had to Google this & read IT twice too. 🙂 I couldn’t cope with Derrida or Foucault so I stopped at ‘F’ 😉

If you think of the Doctor’s speech with Missy & the Master on kindness, that really sums up Barthes’s idea beautifully. Well no, I don’t understand that, but it sums it up. I’m very certain of this  🙂 And that particular speech, showing the range of Capaldi’s ability & tonal control, breaks my heart every time I hear it.

I think however one interprets the ‘text’ it breaks one’s heart.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thane16 just in the later stages of my first essay, and experiencing my usual nightmare that my tutor might simply point out that I have completely misunderstood the critics I’ve quoted, I wonder how far I might push the concept of reader response over authorial intent…

To be honest, when I write fiction I usually don’t work out what I’m doing till after half way through the composition – on some occasions, until someone kindly informs me during a workshop (I usually attribute it to my subconscious, and take the credit 😉 ). And one thing that drove me crazy during the last seasons of Game of Thrones was when the series runners waded into the raging debate about the latest episode spelling out what the characters meant, what their motivation was until the whole thing seemed to mean less and less the more the creators spoke up.

@miapatrick  @thane16 @thane16

I wonder how far I might push the concept of reader response over authorial intent…

*Circles bait*

*Swims away*

syzygy @thane16

@pedant @miapatrick

😀

It’s Twisted

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@thane16 Hi syzygy, I just saw you mentioned me in a post just over a week ago. Sorry I didn’t reply back right away, still working on a lot on my end. I only want to clarify my point of view and have that be it because with the amount of hate crimes accouring in the United States right now, I would feel more comfortable if we just didn’t talk about it again. In your post it seemed like you thought my option on PC culture was negative or inaccurate and from looking back on those comments that is a completly fair point of view. However I didn’t mean it like that. I don’t have a problem with PC culture when done right, I really think it’s a good thing. I feel like with all the tension in the world today, people fighting for equality and people fighting because of hatered, this is a grand turning point in the direction the world will turn. I’m wanting equality to win so when I say things like I don’t want people to be judged by their gender or biological structure it’s because I want them to be judge on the context of their character. Now I don’t like to defy myself with labels. I like to look past all the labels and my own body to see who I am in my mind set. I believe that your thoughts, memories and actions make up who you are and I try my best to view other people that way. I’m not perfect, I make mistakes but I allows acknowledge when I do and I try to learn from them and a huge reason on why I believe this way is because humans haven’t been responsibel with the labels we place on eachother. We live in a world where if someone mentions a label referring to race, gender or sexual orientation someone else will make an assumption on that individuals thoughts, memories or actions. I don’t want to see that done any more however, I agree with you that if someone does harm someone because of (for example) gender than we have to say something and help who was harmed. I’m sorry for what happened to you, I know you said mentioning that wasn’t for attention, that’s not why I’m saying this. I’m saying this because I am sorry that we live in a world where that can happen to someone. I agree with you that these things happen because of people being who they are. People judge me for being who I am but labels mean nothing to me, so when people mention them, it’s like getting hit with a ton of bricks. I know it’s not the same for everyone and I have been there for people when I have to be. I’m not trying to brag, if this wasn’t the topic I would have never said this. The only reason I thought The Doctor would be the same as me is because from the first time I saw The Doctor I related to him. There’s been no other character in fiction I have related to this much. My friends view me like companions view The Doctor, I live most of my life as a hermit, I have dressed like all The Doctors in my lifetime (even as a child before I’ve ever seen the show) and when I watch the program I can regualy finish The Doctor’s sentences. Not just because I watch the show as often as I do but because so many of the things he’s said I have said before I even heard of Doctor Who, and not just big, philosophical speeches but simple things like throwing away a manual because I “disagreed” with it. I know, a lot of people would call me “strange”. I just thought that when The Doctor changed from a male biological structure to a female one, she would react the same way I would if I changed from female to male. Look, I’ve ranted on long enough and there is a lot I removed from this posting. I logged in to talk about the new trailer that came out. I still want to do that before Doctor Who Day is over from where I’m at. Please understand that I only typed this up because I agree with you. I do believe in kindness and I absolutely can’t stand myself if I every fail to be that. I’m really trying to be there for who ever needs me, I just don’t want people to think I don’t have everyone’s best interest at heart. Thanks for letting me rant, again I don’t like to get political here. I mostly come here for Doctor Who.

Missy @missy

@thane16

If you think of the Doctor’s speech with Missy & the Master on kindness, that really sums up Barthes’s idea beautifully. Well no, I don’t understand that, but it sums it up. I’m very certain of this  🙂 And that particular speech, showing the range of Capaldi’s ability & tonal control, breaks my heart every time I hear it.

I think however one interprets the ‘text’ it breaks one’s heart.

Well, it breaks mine, and that ‘s not the only speech.

winston @winston

@missy That speech from Capaldi also chokes me up every time I watch it.

Missy @missy

@winston

Quite understandable. I feel the same about the WAR speech and Husbands of River Song. His lines are so wise and

delivered with such emotion.

What a  loss Steven Moffat is to the programme.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Just rewatched Jonathan Miller’s 1968 version of “Alice in Wonderland”. For obvious reasons. It, like everything Miller did, was simply brilliant. If you have never seen it, try to. If you have never seen or read anything by Miller, definitely try to.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@blenkinsopthebrave

My favourite Miller production was his The Mikado for the ENO. He had a knack for blowing away tradition and saying ‘well, why can’t we stage it this way?’

Agreed. If you haven’t read or seen anything of his, you should try to.

syzygy @thane16

@gamergirlavatar.

Mum didn’t understand. a word. you. said. 😀  Geddit?  The Master when he’s speaking to the Doctor in the speech about kindness! 🙂

I think I do, though? You’re saying you’re like the Doctor. You relate, you dress like him…which must be awesome.  I’ve met some smart people in my life but none are really old. None have travelled outside the universe. Or even finish his sentences.

What’s that like?

I think the other Syzygy was just including you in the conversation?  She mentioned you because it was polite to do so. It was a conversation you’d been part of so sorry about that. It’s nice to see your name, to be tagged, when it’s a light or even a serious conversation. Kindness is all it is so she apologises profuselly, or profuseishnessly. One of ’em.

Enjoy the new trailer. Always good to look forward to something in our future as well as our past.

Siggers the Young.

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

Finally I can say I understand who Jonathan Miller is! I have Kulture! But he’s died?  I’m too late, again. And very sad.  I worry that there will be so many great, learned people -writers, directors, producers, playwrights & bands I’ll barely know. I don’t know, entirely, if we are creating fantastic new ones? We should be. My generation. Our gen has a lot of ‘stuff’ -we have food, clothing, rooves & clean water. I’m talking here -not in every part of Australia. Poverty is endemic but I know one thing, sportsmen & women are being lauded waay too much. Some sporting person I won’t name said “the Australian fires are a punishment from god.” Urgh. They can say it but it’s being reported a lot which is the problem. I think.

I’ve also heard of The Mikado @bluesqueakpip ! All on “me own” which are words which must never be said together. Or written, but still are.

Syzygy

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@thane16

syzygy, you are not too late. There is so much of Miller’s work easily available. His books, films, performances, and interviews. At least dip in and see what you think.

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

a qualified doctor?? Wow. Thank you for all that!

Syzygy.

Viewing 18 posts - 551 through 568 (of 568 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.