The Kebab & Calculator

Home Forums General The Kebab & Calculator

This topic contains 1,026 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  nerys 5 hours, 22 minutes ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1,001 through 1,027 (of 1,027 total)
  • Author
    janetteB @janetteb

Saw that Ontario is now in full lock down. Best Wishes to @winston Keep safe and well and hope that “normality” will soon be restored.

Right now it feels as though the world is teetering not on one knife’s edge but on many knife edges. We have “interesting times” ahead.

Cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@janetteb   Hi!  We sure are on lock down. No going out except for essentials and nothing open except essential shops. It really is a comedy of errors. A provincial government under pressure to open up too early to help the economy, dedicated no-maskers and covid deniers, silly young people who think they are immortal and regular people who thought it was safe to have ” their” family and friends over for the holidays. Add to that the early lock downs in the cities that drove people to the smaller towns in the north to shop and the week long warning before Xmas about a lock down on the 26th and kerblam!!

We have been very careful for so long now but what can we do but stay home to stay safe for as long as it takes.

Thanks for the message, I have been painting a bit more and the Mr. has been ice fishing more often as it is easy to social distance in the middle of a frozen lake.

I heard about a curse that was “may you live in interesting times” and now I get it.

Stay safe.

janetteB @janetteb

@winston Glad that your and your husband are safe and well. The selfishness and stupidity of some people has been a major factor in the spread of Covid. The traction given to “anti maskers” here in Oz is really depressing. When there are so many things we should be getting agitated about, like the destruction of this planet of ours, to jump and and down about something that saves lives is so absurd. Victoria suffered the same kind of pressure (from our idiot P.M) to lift lockdown during our winter months when they had the spike in numbers but the Premier stood his ground making him a hero to many but unfortunately he is being vilified by the right and the “anti-mask” crowd. Needless to say the P.M is happy to take any credit going for Victoria’s success in getting back to “donut days”.

Yes that old saying about “interesting times” comes to mind often these days. I am using it as a title in some writing I am doing. (And that was before December last year.)

cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@janetteb  I agree that there are so many other things to protest about but the crazies here think that their right to go mask-less “trumps” others right to live.  Your Premier would be happy to know that Australia was held up as an example of a country getting Covid under control by our politicians and health officials today so keep up the good work. Canadian anti maskers/covid are always angry dickheads that dare you to ask them to wear their masks.If they are so right then why are they  so angry?

Anyway the sun will shine again and the vaccine will eventually make us safer and Doctor Who will come back someday so until then………..

Stay safe.

Missy @missy

@janetteb

Terry Pratchett wrote a disc world book called “Interesting times.”✍

janetteB @janetteb

@winston it is the State Premiers who are to thank for our current situation not the federal government who have done nothing except criticise left wing premiers like Dan Andrews. Funnily enough they do not criticise the right wing premiers. We are fortunate to be able to close borders, which is a big help but there have been some appalling examples of mismanagement of quarantine which makes one wonder if those in charge have really thought about what they are dealing with.

Hopefully Dr Who will be back again soon though I must confess it does not excite me as much as it used to do.

Cheers

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

@missy yes I noticed that when I was giving the eldest and his g/f my book wish list at Christmas. (I am making my way through the books very very slowly. Right now however I am reading Phillip Pullman’s The Secret Commonwealth. I really love his “Dark Materials” series.

Cheers

Janette

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

Hi from DownUnderLand (or is that Australia? How about ‘Down under and a bit off to the right so it’s almost falling off the map’ land?) NZ in case I’m being too obscure.

Well here we’re OK so far but nervous. The new more infectious strain has shown up in a few quarantined arrivals but hasn’t escaped (yet). Vaccination won’t really start till April, opr something like that. Our Opposition (National Party) is saying it should be starting now (rather unkindly I suspect they’re looking for a ‘point of difference’ and that if it was starting right now, they’d be saying we should wait until it’s been thoroughly proven overseas). But the point is, they’ve chosen to criticise the sufficiency of anti-Covid measures, they obviously see no mileage to be made in pandering to the ‘Covid deniers’. Which is, I think, a good call for them and for the country.

So anyway, we’re only at Level 1, unless it escapes quarantine. The government has just ordered wearing of masks on public transport (previously only required at higher ‘alert levels’). Curious thing – yesterday I caught the train from Christchurch to Picton and the ferry to Wellington, and though all passengers had been warned by email to bring a mask, nobody wore them. Today, on the train from Wellington to Auckland, they reminded everyone that wearing a mask was compulsory and handed out masks to anyone who hadn’t brought one. A few people were a bit lax about wearing their masks, but nobody (that I saw) objected to wearing them. Was there a change overnight? I don’t know, because I haven’t seen the news for 2 days.

Anyway, wearing masks has absolutely zero economic impact, unlike lockdowns.     And partial lockdowns are extremely problematic, like trying to fix the leaks in just one end of a boat…

nerys @nerys

I have sad news about my father. He passed away early Saturday morning. His funeral is in one hour. Because of Covid, I can’t be there. But fortunately they are live-streaming the service, so I do have that.

Can I blame Covid for his death? It’s hard to say. Dad was 93, with a pre-existing health condition. Five years ago, when he was diagnosed with a mass on his kidney that caused a subsequent gradual decline in kidney function, we knew this was the eventual outcome unless something else got him first. When he contracted Covid, we all worried that that was the something else. Fortunately he contracted a mild case, so he did not suffer the physical ravages of the disease. However, the two 14-day isolation periods, combined with multiple back-and-forth trips between various hospitals (never to return home), did him no favours. Covid seems to be the last peg that got pulled out from under him, causing his health to collapse.

Dad knew his time was limited, so over the past few weeks we had the good talks we needed to have. He leaves behind countless wonderful relationships that he cultivated during his time on this earth. And he went about as “gentle into that good night” as we humans can hope to go. I am grateful for that.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@nerys So very sorry to hear this. I am glad you had the opportunity to have those good talks, though. They are tremendously important.

Take care.

winston @winston

@nerys  I am so sorry for your families loss. Your father must have been a very strong man to suffer through all his health problems and still beat covid but as you say it must have taken all he had left. It is good that you had time with your Dad to talk and that you can at least attend the service in a way.That he went so gently is something to be thankful for.

Take care.

winston @winston

@janetteb     I also love Dark Materials and enjoyed the latest series and can’t wait till the next one.

janetteB @janetteb

@nerys So sorry to hear about your Dad. It is always hard to loose a loved one, life is never quite the same and moving on, adjusting to the new reality takes time. Hope you can at least talk to family and share the memories even if it by digital means.

Regards

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

@winston I read the books some years back and really loved them so was very excited when I heard that BBC were doing an adaptation. It is just as I hoped, it captures the heart and scope of the story. The casting is excellent, the camera work stunning and the “daemons” very well done. We have started watching series 2 but it is the one show that the entire family watches together and getting them together is harder to organise that a feline conference on human management so it has become a very drawn out process. I am currently reading the second book of the new series, The Secret Commonwealth. I really recommend the books as they are very well written. I am finding these books to be “darker’ in tone than the original series, reflecting perhaps the world we live in now.

@dentarthurdent I believe that wearing masks on public transport is compulsory in other states and it should be. It makes sense though sadly it doesn’t not really effect us as our beloved train is being upgraded and so out of action indefinitely. Was supposed to be done in stages but plans keep changing and currently it is a one and a half hour bus ride to the city so we are not likely to be using public transport for a while. We caught a bus part way before Christmas and it was not at all pleasant and nobody was wearing masks. I keep mine and my s/o’s with me whenever we go out but his is still in its’ packaging.

Maybe there was an advertising campaign on tv and radio? I would miss that kind of information to as I get all my news from the net and very little of that is local. I now buy our local paper again but rarely read it. Not much of note happens in our little town and when it did back in April, the paper was closed down which meant that nobody knew there were seven local cases. Fortunately the paper was saved but they missed the big scoop of the year.

Here in S.A we also feel as though a storm could break over us at any moment. Makes it hard to plan anything. We got government accommodation vouchers but have not even looked at making bookings. We are living in a strange normal/not normal. Hopefully the vaccine will be effective but there is doubts about the vaccine our government has chosen and with some reason. They are not noted for their disinterested decision making.

Cheers

Janette

nerys @nerys

@blenkinsopthebrave @winston @janetteb and all, thank you for your kind thoughts. Dad’s funeral service was wonderful. My father was a retired university professor of counseling and psychology, teacher education and statistics. Before that he was a high school band director. So teaching was his life, and as such, he was one of those very organized, methodical teachers. Dad had meticulously planned his funeral service, down to the last detail, all instructions neatly typed.

There were a few little winks in his obituary, and in the service, that made us laugh. For example, he specified in his funeral instructions to make sure the candlesticks were filled with oil prior to the service; apparently he had witnessed services with the candles went out because someone forgot to fill them. His obituary said that he “enjoyed family gatherings, traveling (especially in Europe), Volksmarch walks, live music performances and brief obituaries.”

Because of his religious faith, he was not afraid of what was coming. He took comfort in “knowing what comes next.” So I take comfort in that, and also that his physical suffering was relatively minimal and not prolonged. Small mercies.

janetteB @janetteb

@nerys it is good to know what someone wants in such circumstances. When my Mother in Law died as a result of a road accident we had no idea what she would want and made decisions that I regret still. I felt as though she would not have liked her funeral at all and that we let her down. It is important to “say farewell and honour a person’s life and it sounds as though you did that well.

Regards

Janette

winston @winston

@nerys  Your Father sounds like he lived quite a life and danced to his own drummer. To honour him in the way he wanted is a blessing.I hope you and your family are doing OK.

Take care.

@janetteb  I really like the books and can’t wait for the third in this new bunch. Exploring this world with an adult Lyra and Pan is quite different and even darker. I watched the 1st series from the library and it will be awhile before they get the 2nd but I will be keeping an eye out for it.Luckily for me the library is still open, in a way, you order online and they call when it comes in and you pick it up after it sits for 5 days. When you return it they don’t touch it for 5 days then they wipe them down. I love my hard working and friendly Librarians!

Stay safe.

@nerys Can I offer my condolences? Still, it should be some consolation that your father ‘had a good run’, as they say. From your account, I think he was maybe more fortunate than most in the manner of his going.

My father died at 96. He was fine, living in his own flat, very active, till the last six months when he went downhill and could no longer manage for himself and had to go into a ‘home’ and went a bit – odd. Slightly paranoid. Which was very trying for all concerned. But his funeral was attended by a vast number of his friends. It was an excellent service, we were lucky in that the funeral director made a lot of very good suggestions that we were happy to adopt. Until that time I had thought that funeral directors were as superfluous as interior decorators – who needs ’em? – but I realised that just having someone who knew how to take care of all the 1001 details within a few days was worth every dollar.

syzygy @thane16

our dearest @nerys

Condolences and love from the other Aussies, the Puro fam. I’m so, so sorry to hear about your dad. It seemed like he had a life, well lived, which is fortunate.

And I’m sure he was very proud of you  -as well. And that matters too.

Quick visit this one, but hope for a longer one after I’ve watched the Who special & to wish everyone in the DrWhoForum a belated happy new year.

Puro and the dudes.

@janetteb I’ll wish you a timely restoration of your train service. I know the feeling, Auckland public transport planning has been a shambles for the last century and they see no reason to change now.
    In the beginning, the main station was right in town at the foot of Queen Street (call it ‘Britomart’). Then in the 30’s it got too busy so they abandoned it and built a grand new station at Strand, half a mile out. This became a major impediment to the use of suburban services, so finally in 2000 they built a new underground station (at Britomart) and abandoned most of Strand. A few years later, as suburban usage increased again, Britomart became too busy so the Wellington train (‘Northern Explorer’ aka ‘Dora’) was banished to the one remaining lonely platform left at Strand where it no longer connected with the Auckland suburban trains.
    January is when they typically shut down parts of the Auckland system for track works and ‘upgrading’, so I get used to Dora terminating in some unusual fashion. This year they’ve shut down Britomart so the subbies have taken over the Strand platform and evicted Dora, which terminated at Otahuhu, change to a subbie for – Strand!

Like you say in SA, the atmosphere here re covid precautions feels strange. Masks – sometimes in use. ‘Checking in’ to commercial premises – they’re all displaying the ‘Covid’ signs (which people are supposed to scan with their phones) and many are, many aren’t. It reminds me of what I’ve read of the ‘phony war’ in 1939 when war had been declared but nobody was shooting. Or waiting for a storm to break. Hopefully the vaccines will work before it does.

nerys @nerys

@janetteb That’s part of why my father planned his funeral service well in advance. That way, everyone knew what he wanted, and the service would follow his wishes. And it did!

@winston @dentarthurdent @thane16 Thank you for your thoughtful condolences. It seems like we are all in this same general age range when the death of a parent is expected. Not welcome, but we know it’s coming. And, for many of us, it has.

Dad was a French horn player and music ed major in university. So music was one of his passions. He chose every organ piece and every hymn, along with the bible readings. I found the music to be the most moving parts of his service, because it resonates with my childhood. I know what the music meant to him, and so it’s deeply meaningful to me, too.

Dad always took notes during the pastor’s sermons. If he liked one well enough, he would type it out on his computer. Included in Dad’s packet of funeral instructions was a printout of a sermon from several years ago. Dad told the pastor, “If you want to do that one again, I’m good with that!” The pastor did not recycle his sermon. But he was impressed with Dad’s attention to detail. As he said, he’s amazed when people remember his sermon from a week ago. But from years ago? Yup, that was my dad!

@nerys I’m in the general age range when the death of me is expected. 🙂 Or at least, wouldn’t be unusual. It’s a bit disconcerting when acquaintances I’ve known for years, die. I just find it convenient to ignore the statistics.

I wouldn’t even try to plan my own funeral. The one thing I might demand is that they play Dire Straits’ ‘Wild Theme’**. As it happens, I’m an atheist, but Mrs D gives Jesus his detailed orders for the day every morning, so I know I’ll get the full Christian works. That doesn’t bother me, I won’t know so I won’t care and I’ll be the only one present who doesn’t have to sit through the whole service 🙂 And, it will make Mrs D feel much better. (Of course, if I am observing it in a ghostly fashion, it will prove I’ve been wrong anyway, won’t it?)

[** Footnote: Specifically, the version of “Wild Theme/LocalHero” off the Sultans of Swing album, which was a live recording at Les Arenes, Nimes in 1993. I have to be so specific because there are dozens of variations on Youtube and Mark Knopfler changed his playing every time he performed it. Mark Knopfler was, I think, the one musician mentioned by name in Doug Adams’ Hitchhiker trilogy – So Long, and Thanks for All The Fish, IIRC – and Adams was right about his playing.]

winston @winston

To the American Whovians, Congratulations on a new President! I don’t know about you but boy am I relieved. As a Canadian most of my life I have been aware of our neighbours to the south and the friendly relationship we have with them and so I am rooting for them. In fact like many Canadians I have family in the States and it has been hard to see them upset over what happened at the Capital last week.Hell, it was hard for everyone to watch.

Today made me feel hopeful for Americans, Canadians and the rest of the world. Joe Biden is just so calm, decent and reassuring and that is what people need , like a Grandpa who’s always got your back. Kamala Harris is the 1st women V.P. and that is a wonderful thing to see! Tomorrow I will get back to stressing out about covid and all the other “bad things” but for today I have a little hope and a happy heart.

Stay safe.

janetteB @janetteb

@winston I will echo those sentiments. Hopefully we are seeing the beginning of a better USA, not just from the overt horrors of the past few years but of past horrors many of which have not been as “obvious” as the evils of the Trump era. Perhaps, (me being super optimistic here) Trump has been a much needed wake up call and brought things to the surface that might otherwise have kept festering and growing. Perhaps now issues such as climate change, social injustice and economic issues will be take more seriously and the growth of the far right will be dealt with.

Cheers

Janette

Well, when Trump was elected, I hoped he’d have the sense to be content with sticking his name on the building in big letters, appoint some competent advisers to run the country, and leave them to it and swan off to his golf course.    I should have known better.   Trump really should have known better.

Trump just had to undo anything positive that Obama had achieved, purely out of malice.   It’s refreshing to see Biden reversing Trump’s idiocies even quicker.    The trouble is, will other countries be so willing to enter into agreements with the US when tRump has shown they can be torn up on a whim?   Traditionally, governments have tended to regard agreements made by previous administrations as having some weight, they would try to ‘renegotiate’ but they didn’t just break their word.   tRump had no idea how to behave in a civilised or dignified manner so US foreign policy became equally irresponsible and unpredictable.    It may take a while for Biden to rebuild this.

Trump boasted that he hadn’t started any wars, but that wasn’t for lack of trying.   Full marks to the government of Iran (yes, really!) for keeping their cool under provocation and, effectively, showing some faith that the US would return to sanity.    Yep, for the last four years I’ve had more faith in the maturity and sagacity of the government of Iran than the USA.   🙂     (Note – that’s not an endorsement of Iran so much as a reflection of what Donald Trump did to the USA).

@janetteb, I respectfully disagree, I don’t think tRump has been a ‘wake up call’, any more than Hitler was in between-wars Germany; we all know people can behave nastily when motivated.   The toxic tRump legacy is that he has legitimised ignorant, irrational, xenophobic, deliberately perverse, bloody-minded  and antisocial behaviour at all levels.    40% of USAnians have said they won’t take a Covid vaccine, ffs.    How is Biden ever going to restore a rational USA with all of those loonies around?

Never mind, tRump’s gone now.    I wish Biden and Harris all the luck in the world, they’ll need it.

winston @winston

@janetteb  and @dentarthurdent    I very much hope that it was a wake up call except only those who want to hear the message will. What Trump and his minions did was allow and embolden the people with those views to crawl out from under their rocks and shout out the hate that lives inside them. They were always there and here and every where, feeling the way they do and the last 4 years seemed to let them loose almost like they now had permission to spout off their craziness. I have personally had to inform people who I had thought to be nice people that I would not allow their nasty words and theories in my heart or head. I suppose it is good to know how people really think but I am disappointed with myself for not knowing before.

I just hope enough people get the shot to help the seniors and that they get the shots soon. there is a senior home near here that has 94% of it seniors down with covid and most of the staff.Already 19 of these poor souls have died without the comfort of their families and those families are left devastated and shocked.  I just hide away and hope for the vaccine so my life can continue without this crushing anxiety. Sorry if this sounds gloomy but it is almost a year that we have been hiding from this virus and it does get to me. I will be fine tomorrow.

Stay safe.

nerys @nerys

I finally got to watch the presidential inauguration ceremony Friday evening. I was amazed at how relieved I was to feel hope again. Yes, I know the inauguration is largely image, but it’s an image many of us desperately need right now. I do think it’s a rocky road ahead for Biden and Harris. The stark divisions that have split the un-United States are not going away anytime soon.

But Biden is old school, from a time when reaching across the aisle was the norm, not the exception. Hopefully there are enough Republicans who remember that, or are willing to learn it, that the federal government will return to getting work done, rather than finding ways to impede that process.

Viewing 27 posts - 1,001 through 1,027 (of 1,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.