The Kebab & Calculator

Home Forums General The Kebab & Calculator

This topic contains 961 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  winston 4 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 951 through 962 (of 962 total)
  • Author
    Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

@blenkinsopthebrave

I’ll see you and raise you this:

janetteB @janetteb

@dentarthurdent I loved Blakes 7 when I was young. Our boys were introduced to it at a young age. We did a podcast on it last year. (I will put up links but the site is undergoing a transition at the moment and I have to check to see that the older posts are there.) Babylon 5 was inspired by Blakes 7 and Doctor Who among other things. The first series is not particulary gripping but it improves massively. The best is brilliant but there are some cringey moments.

I just recently re watched Sherlock. It is very “Moffat”. Have you watched the recent Moffat/Gattiss Dracula? IT seems to follow their usual pattern of starting out brilliantly but tapering off at the end.

@blenkinsopthebrave Fun clips and scarily apt.

Cheers

Janette

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@janetteb,

I was reading about “pizzagate” in South Australia. Anyway, I am glad that it has resulted in a little more freedom of movement for you. Nonetheless, still take care.

@janetteb

I was just prompted to order Seasons 2 and 3 of Sherlock.   Bit odd to note that on the cover (Watson) is Dentarthurdent from the movie.   Which I watched the other night and really, it is a bit weak even compared with the TV series.

My DVD of Survival just arrived, they certainly have put all the extras they could lay their hands on on these old Who reissues.   So I know what I’m watching tonight.

(Re B5:)    ‘The best is brilliant but there are some cringey moments.’     Exactly like Xena, then.   😉

winston @winston

Toronto is going into a lock down on Monday and the people were lining up to shop for food and Christmas presents and haircuts. Watching on the news the one thing they all had bought in large quantities was toilet paper. We make TP in Canada and are always assured that we will get enough but that doesn’t stop the panic buying. It is a self fulfilling prophesy , people worry that we will run out so they buy up huge amounts and then we do run out which causes more panic and even gouging.

My worry is that people will drive the few hours to our town ,which is not in lock down, to shop bringing with them the virus and emptying our stores like during the first wave. I watch the news and listen to the Doctors so I knew there would be a second wave and spent the summer slowly getting ready so I can hide at home for the winter. many can’t do that and I hope they all stay safe.

Ricky Gervais said he stocked up on wine and beer instead of T.P. and although I don’t drink I am seriously considering taking it up if this f#*king virus goes on much longer. so buy your favourite beverage and remember that in the old days they used newspaper and catalogues in the outhouse.

stay safe.

winston @winston

@dentarthurdent  I really like Sherlock and I can watch again and again just like Who. I hope you enjoy it.

winston @winston

@janette Speaking for at least one Canadian we would love to have you visit! I have always wanted to visit your beautiful country also. Maybe some day eh.

stay safe.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@winston

In our house, Mrs Blenkinsop shops for food (brilliantly), and while I also shop for food (less brilliantly) I tend to be the one who remembers the fruit. But I am in charge of the wine. I like to think I do that brilliantly. In between the two of us we manage to find toilet paper as well.

nerys @nerys

@dentarthurdent Dad has had books, crossword puzzles and Sudoku to keep him busy. Oh, and the dreaded TV, too. But he told me that doing those things felt more like having to do them, rather than wanting to do them. That’s the toll isolation takes, I think.

However, I received very good news yesterday: Dad’s oxygen levels are up where they need to be, so he was transferred yesterday into a different Covid unit, with the plan of transferring him to a rehab hospital soon. So things are looking up!

@winston My small town in Nova Scotia has experienced something similar. Halifax is undergoing a similar tightening of restrictions starting on Monday. But even before that, people from “the city” were driving here, and elsewhere along the South Shore, because it’s “safer” to shop here. Of course, we worry that they will bring the virus with them, to a region that up until now has had only one assigned case of Covid (a university student who had arrived on campus, was tested and was in isolation with the positive result came back, so there was no community spread). Now hairdressers and other small business owners/operators are asking their clients if they have visited Halifax recently. I know people will be upset by that, but it has to be done.

@nerys    I’m so pleased to hear the news about your Dad.   And I’m pleased that he had stuff to keep him occupied if he needed it.   The reason I asked whether he had stuff to keep him occupied mentally is, if I had to go into isolation, I’d be climbing the walls after a couple of hours without something to keep me busy.   For example if we go visiting my wife’s rellies (they all go off chattering for hours) I just take a dreadful French sub-James-Bond novel (I’m learning French by reading it) to keep me busy.

However, I was forgetting that being sick not only reduces your ability to do things, it also mercifully reduces the urge to be ‘doing something’ (as your dad found).    When I had heart valve repairs a decade ago, I took a few books and a portable CD player with me (because I knew they had TV in the room but the average TV program drives me nuts), but all I actually needed was the CD’s.   It was quite pleasant just lying there comfortably doing nothing and – most significantly – without the guilty feeling that there were things I ought to be doing.

Re the ‘covid tourists’ I can sympathise with your concerns.    Here in NZ, when we had the ‘first wave’ of Covid, one of the first things they did was put strong travel restrictions in place for the whole country, even in areas that didn’t have cases – simply because all it takes is one person to travel to another region and start spreading it and bingo, you’ve got an outbreak before you even knew it.   (Though I suspect they may not have been enforced very strongly in remote covid-free areas).

When Auckland had its mini-‘second wave’ (with an epicentre a couple of miles from me) Auckland went to Level 3 (out of 4) while the rest of the country went to level 2.   And travel out of the Auckland area was actually restricted.   There were police roadblocks on all main roads out of Auckland (Auckland is geographically fairly easy to isolate) and people without a legitimate reason to travel (such as, genuinely essential business or they lived elsewhere and were returning home) were turned back.

This is, literally, what you have to do to control covid outbreaks.   In normal times there would be public outrage over restrictions like that but everyone’s seen the overseas news and we all know how lucky we are to be (almost) covid-free.    Waiting for the vaccine…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@nerys
    Glad to hear the news that your Dad’s oxygen levels are now up to scratch and they’re thinking in terms of a move to rehab. That is good news. As @dentarthurdent says, not wanting to read etc is part of resting – and from what I’ve been told, a more serious dose of Covid is really energy-sapping.

My Mum lives back in North Wales and they’ve ended up having to put similar travel restrictions in place – to the extent of police checking people travelling over the border are doing so for essential purposes. I mean, seriously? The Welsh-English border hasn’t been a real border for centuries. We make jokes about it! There’s even border jokes in Doctor Who and Torchwood!

But now we have a real border again. Undoubtedly a temporary one, but who knows what the long term effects are going to be? The village shop was telling her they’ve never been busier – not because non-villagers are driving there to shop, but because the villagers want to go to the nearest large town as little as possible.

@winston
    Toilet paper is definitely a self fulfilling prophecy. Having been unable to buy any, I’m now keeping a spare pack in my cupboard and bought a larger pack than usual. This is undoubtedly contributing to the shortage, but what else can you do if you can’t rely on any TP being available?

winston @winston

@bluesqueakpip  I agree, when you gotta go, you gotta go and when you go you need the T.P.

Stay safe

Viewing 12 posts - 951 through 962 (of 962 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.