The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    HolyMackerel @holymackerel

Now I’m wondering if they are going to ignore that he was in Fires of Pompeii, as they did with Karen Gillan, or if that will somehow be looped back to.

Anonymous @

I hope this isn’t a template for every new re-casting of the role.  I have still to watch it on iPlayer but I’m certain that your comments and updates here were far more entertaining than the programme itself.

And @bluesqueakpip – If I had Cheesy Whotsits to throw, and a TV screen to throw them at, the ‘no trailer’ problem would definitely get my inner bowler into action.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @Shazzbot – I’m afraid no Who 50th trailer.

and no facial hair on Capaldi (for now).

I btw currently am cleanly shaven (across the whole of my bonce).

the Hirsute Report ends here.

starseed @starseed

and older looking Dr.  Good choice I think

GothamCelt @gothamcelt

Excellent choice. Well done.

Anonymous @

@whisht – your Hirsute Report was the highlight of my last half-hour!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Thank God it’s him!!!
    z

Anonymous @

@holymackerel

Now I’m wondering if they are going to ignore that he was in Fires of Pompeii, as they did with Karen Gillan, or if that will somehow be looped back to.

Good question.  Unlike Karen Gillan in that episode, Peter Capaldi had a major part and was recognisably himself.  Let the bonkers theorising begin!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Homepage updated

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@Shazzbot –  He also played an entirely different role in Torchwood – clearly the Capaldi face is also scattered across time. So it’ll either be a plot point, or more probably some joke like ‘is that a Roman nose?’ and then they’ll ignore it. 😀

Rob @rob

Wonder if Peter will be on Top Gear tonight????

Anonymous @

@craig – you fast.   🙂

@bluesqueakpip – I didn’t catch all of Torchwood so clearly I missed PC’s involvement in that.  Yeah, if Moffat’s writing the episodes, or at least overseeing them in Showrunner mode, surely his ‘familiar face’ has to come up even in the most oblique of on-screen jokes?

Anonymous @

Gawww!  I want to start theorising bonkersly about how a Peter Capaldi Doctor and Clara will interact!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I actually think Moffat will now be able to write the Doctor more or less as himself. A Scot who’s a bit mysterious, not always likeable, but very smart.

HolyMackerel @holymackerel

Shazzbot I love bonkers theorising. It is my second favourite thing to being proved right/disproved.

Off you go!

@Shazzbot – Never mind the bonkers theorising about how Clara and the Capaldi Doctor interact, what about River and the Capaldi Doctor?

That’s something I’d like to see. 🙂

Whisht @whisht

well, we’re spared the “he’s too old for her” snogging next year at least.

unless they’re quite brave.

*edit – oh, forgot River.

actually, I’m really glad they went for an actor who’s older than 30 or 40.

wolfweed @wolfweed

I think that the new Dr should wear a multi-coloured patchwork coat…

Anonymous @

That is excellent news….. Am on a world of squeeeee

Still no bloody trailer though….

@wolfweed – this new Doctor would quite possibly rip the multi-coloured patchwork coat into pieces, then stuff it right up a Sontaran’s – err, probic vent.

😀

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

@bluesqueakpip — you’ve worried me. The Doctor with a face splintered through time. Does this mean the twelfth Doctor will actually be a Jagaroth?

Rob @rob

@whisht that’s a lot of waving to get breathless 🙂

With half an hour now to think, Peter Capaldi is potentially an awesome Dr, the bridge between Smith and Hurt?

Fantastic actor, fan

his role in Children of Earth was superb

Yup, good choice

Anonymous @

I WAS RIGHT!!!!!! I said over on my 2nd post I thought the new actor who played The Doctor would be in the show previously. give me a few minutes to process this

RiverRunsThroughIt @riverrunsthroughit

I had a reflective moment, and although I am too old to have Matt Smith as ‘my Dr’, he was and is fabulous.

Peter Capaldi will be so different and I am really looking forward to see whether he is dark and mysterious, aloof and arrogant, menacing and unforgiving or….. well we’ll wait and see.

I only hope River loves him!

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/caption-competitions/crazy-captions-20/
    z
    Crazy Captions 20 is served for your delectation…

Whisht @whisht

ah, @rob thank you.

yes one does get breathless, but you tend to wave with one hand and…

oh ffs.

I can’t carry on this inanity single-handed

oh ffs #2

🙂

Anonymous @

@craig – “A Scot who’s a bit mysterious, not always likeable, but very smart.”   Hmmm, are all you Scots like that?  😆

@bluesqueakpip @whisht – How could I have forgotten River?  Now I simply must demand that she be brought back.  I’ll call, I’ll write, I’ll march, whatever it takes.  I’m already imagining, and it could (will?) be amazing to watch.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Had a quick look on Tumblr to see the reception there (for anyone unfamiliar, it’s a blogging social media site frequented by teen and twenty-something fans, in particular lots of US fans. BBC Worldwide blogs on there – they know it’s a gateway to a key overseas demographic).

Some complaints that Capaldi is “too old” and “not hot” and that it will be “creepy” if he dates Clara, but plenty of excitement and positive reception too.

I’m betting Capaldi will get a younger, male, somewhat easy-on-the-eye companion at some point…

@bluesqueakpip Agreed! Would love to see Capaldi and Kingston play together – wow there would be sparks.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish – well, there’s the problem with Tumblr right there:

it will be “creepy” if he dates Clara

Arrrrgggghhh!  The Doctor does not date his companions.  This is where I need to have a stern word with both RTD and SM somewhere.  They’ve instituted such a horrific dynamic change that newer viewers cannot possibly understand what the relationship between a Doctor (or Professor?) and his companion (or assistant?) is all about.

Anonymous @

@shazzbot —   

“A Scot who’s a bit mysterious, not always likeable, but very smart.”   Hmmm, are all you Scots like that?  :lol:

We certainly like to think we are. Mrs Fish would probably disagree though….

Anonymous @

@jimthefish – what would Mrs Fish disagree with?  The likeable, or the very smart?

😀

Anonymous @

@shazzbot — I think the only thing she wouldn’t dispute is the Scottish bit…

And just to accentuate what an awesomely cracking choice of Doctor Capaldi is, here’s a chunk of his Oscar-winning turn (as director not actor). Well worth the watch. And it’s got the Great Intelligence in it….

wolfweed @wolfweed

He’s definitely channeling  Dr Evil…

z

”Throw me a frickin’ bone here!”

Magnetite @magnetite

Very good choice – as a 55 year old I heartily approve!

And, if you saw the previous version of this, yes, it didn’t work!

wolfweed @wolfweed

And despite being Scottish, still not ginger…

Magnetite @magnetite

If Peter Capaldi as The Doctor is anything like this, it will be very good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dpwc0

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sophie Aldred and Cavan Scott will be on BBC Breakfast Time at nine tomorrow to talk about Peter Capaldi; Aldred’s also going to be on Five Extra.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

If “only 10 people know” how come Capaldi went from nowhere to bookies favourite last week. The BBC and the Doctor Who staff keep secrets like a sieve holds water.

In my job, I get entrusted with price sensitive information almost weekly. I’d be fired if I told anyone what our final revenue or profit for the year was and I’d be breaching insider trading rules too. But in TV land you can just place huge bets? I’m in the wrong business. 🙁

The BBC need to sort their own house out. So far this year has been a disaster for leaks.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Yes @craig it looks to me there’s been a leak.  The letter he wrote to Radio Times as a 15 year old was talked about in the press in recent days too – how did they find that so quick?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Now that the cat’s out of the bag, let’s see a  bit of the 12th Dr in the 50th Anniversary Special…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

One thing I forgot to mention…

We have another Scottish Doctor Who

Yes, I called him Doctor Who. I don’t care.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Twitter is already looking forward to being able to overdub Malcolm Tucker dialogue onto Twelfth Doctor scenes for small children to find unwittingly on YouTube. For shame! 🙂

I wonder what Linda Lee will make of Tucker-Doctor.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed that’s all we needed another scarf but that’s fine scarfs are cool. Speaking of which Tom Baker was number 4 in the classic series and was known for the long scarf now we had Doctor 12 which is the 4th Doctor in the revived show and what does he have…

@craig – yes. Population of Scotland as percentage of total UK population – 8.7%

Population of Scottish Doctors as percentage of total Doctor population – 23.1%

😀

Anonymous @

@craig — having in the past spent more time than I’d care to admit as a journo, I’d say that the only 10 people in the know line would be bollocks. In fact, I suspect it’s when you don’t tell anyone anything that things have more of a tendency to go viral (as in the Ian Levine incident). I also think that at least the features editors and probably the news editors of the big nationals would have been told, with instructions to keep to the embargo or lose any future exclusives. I suspect that some of the big SF magazines would know as well as they’d be preparing spreads etc on the news ahead of time.

But yeah, it definitely looks as if someone leaked somewhere. Not really surprising in an outfit as big as the Beeb and especially now it’s becoming increasingly dispersed across the country. No doubt some researcher was asked to dig out that old letter of his and that’s how it got out.

@wolfweed — I really do have a feeling that the whole Matt’s last story being the Christmas one is a crock too. I’d bet the anniversary special will end with a regeneration and that the Christmas special will be Capaldi’s first story. (I can already see that name in the whooshing graphics…)

wolfweed @wolfweed

Now if Scotland gets independence, do we get Dr Who too? Only joking…

Mephistopheles @mephistopheles

I wanted an older Doctor. He was brilliant in The Hour – well worth a watch in preparation for next year.

Pufferfish @pufferfish

Hello fishes! Delighted by this news. If there were leaks, they were on-purpose leaks

Was given strong hints yesterday, because my source told me the broadcast had to take place in Capaldi’s one-week filming break.

Craig Ferguson’s probably a little moist in eyes and trousers just now.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Thank you so much for that research. That did make me laugh.

I’m now slightly worried they’ll make him do a Tennant and put on an English accent. Please no. We need a proper, no nonsense, Scottish Doctor I think. Every planet has a Scotland…

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.