The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@nick Re fundamental differences in human/TL  DNA – unless of course you go all Ridley Scott Prometheus or Erich Von Daniken and theorise that humans on earth were “seeded” by Time Lords, or are perhaps descended from a bunch of renegade or just adventurous Gallifreyans (non time Lords) who got lost and shipped up on Earth at a crucial time in homo sapiens’ past

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@nick

Whilst I don’t conceptually discount any close relationships between Humans and sentient non-Humans, the creation of viable cross specie hybrids would probably be impossibly difficult outside a laboratory.

You’re making the assumption that the alien genetic structure isn’t, for example, tuned to a reproductive strategy of hybridising rather than a reproductive strategy of species isolation. Or that a technology which is quite capable of turning an adult individual of one species into an adult individual of another species (see Human Nature) isn’t also capable of turning an individual into someone capable of interbreeding with another species outside the laboratory (Delta and the Bannermen).

In real life, hybridisation is quite common in plants, and viable cross species hybrids in animals are more common than we used to think.

For another possible example, that the TARDIS might be entirely capable of having turned Amy and Rory’s baby girl into someone who can have kids with a Time Lord. 🙂

Nick @nick

@miapatrick

🙂 Human/TimeLord DNA similar. Don’t get me started or I’ll be (nicely I hope) be disagreeing with @bluesqueakpip again, although as @jimthefish will probably pop up and tell us, its long been a fan concept that humans evolved from Timelords (or vice versa)

Cheers

Nick

Nick @nick

@scaryb

🙂 I’m aware of that one (and posted as much before I read your post). I suppose what pisses me off really is if SM or anyone show runner wants to bring in these or similar concepts, then in my opinion, just do it. I or others might hate it, but then so what. I’ll live with it probably. What annoys me is making small scale unexplained changes (like River’s conception) which opens a huge can of worms without actually bothering (so far anyway) to even pretend to explain it. Rant over.

@bluesqueakpip

I was thinking what was probably possible right now or taking todays’ concepts out 30 to 50 years. Beyond that who knows ? I agree you can hypotheses pretty much anything you want to in Sci-Fi.

You remember way way too much Who history for my good ! 🙂

Cheers

Nick

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@nick mmm too late? Sorry! 😉

Anyway, Capaldi is a great choice, I’m almost (almost) looking forward to the regeneration. (Can’t one of his regenerations be the ganger doctor? :() but I do hope any romance is River directed, not Clara directed.

Nick @nick

@miapatrick

well Ron Weasley (sorry Rupert) should be about the right minimum age next regeneration although it depends if he can tear himself away from Emma Watson (sorry Hermione).

Nick

Nick @nick

@miapatrick

not sure you meant ganger though 🙂 I had quite a laugh at the Urban Dictionary definition

Nick

Miapatrick @miapatrick

oh god I’m scared to look, go on, what is it?

how is it spelt? seriously, I’m so bad at remembering spellings- terrible with Tennant. Like banana’s, I start off ok but forget how to stop) and I’m really liking Capaldi because it’s ‘Cap’ and ‘Aldi’. I get bread-mix from aldi. So I imagine a loaf of bread wearing a hat.

Anonymous @

@nick, @bluesqueakpip, @scaryb et al — I think that if Gallifreyan DNA can manage complete instantaneous cellular regeneration on at least 12 occasions, then being pliable enough to allow for inter-humanoid species breeding isn’t really going to be too much of a stretch…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Here’s an exclusive of the new Dr’s look: (Davros Chic)
    z

@jimthefish – agreed. In fact, I have a bonkers theory that the Doctor’s clear tendency to go all asexual in some regenerations and not others is a kind of ‘Time Lord population control’.

Otherwise the universe would be knee deep in Time Lords 🙂

Nick @nick

@jimthefish

Well I might give you that one. Rory wasn’t the father after all then ?

You better delete this afterwards as a moderator  🙂

Nick

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — that’s a good point. Maybe Time Lords have an incredibly low sex drive. Like the only come into ‘heat’ every 500 years or so. Or maybe the Doctor has only just started to become interested in girls now because he’s only now just passed through Time Lord puberty…

@nick

You remember way way too much Who history for my good !

You should try me on Shakespeare. 😉

Seriously, I’m an actor; remembering plotlines/stories/characters from things I’ve seen is ‘trained-in’.

Nick @nick

@bluesqueakpip

Ah Edward De Vere. Wonderful man, knew him well as PC might (have to) say (well in he movie anyway).

Nick

janetteB @janetteb

@jimthefish and @bluesqueakpip good points. If the script writers want time lords to interbreed with humans then it will be so. There have been precedents in other Sci fi series. Though @nick I don’t think Doctor was the father. And agreed, if Time Lords were as sexually active as humans then they would be the rabbit plague of the universe. In regard to Rose and the Doctor, I often felt like reminding her that “he is a 900 year old alien so get over it.” Attraction is one thing, but I hope to be spared the (RTD) puppy love in future.

cheers

Janette

Nick @nick

@janetteb

I was never any good at humour 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

I’m on heat…
    z

janetteB @janetteb

@nick. no worse than me..:)

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Juniperfish @juniperfish

A few Capaldi era thoughts:

If Capaldi’s Doctor isn’t at least a bit dry, snippy and sardonic I shall be disappointed. Not to typecast him, I know how versatile he is, but snarky Doctor would be fun!

Mating aside, it’s surely time for a non-humanoid alien companion in the TARDIS.

I very much hope Strax, Vastra and Jenny continue as occasional TARDIS-hoppers too, as others have said.

Let’s have the Master as a Time Lady for the Capaldi era. That would be such a smart thing to do right now if the showrunners did want to prepare the way further for a female Doctor some regenerations down the line.

Still hoping for a return of the Time Lords so the Doctor can move on from his lonely god/ war criminal angsty time-loop. I think last-of-the-Time-Lords was a brilliant move on RTD’s part, but it’s time to change it up now.

What’s on your wish list?

Anonymous @

@juniperfish I think the non-human companion idea is excellent but I think the Strax wouldn’t work with The Doctor ànd the Strax’s nature. I would also love to see The Master how and how they bring him back and possibly even a regenerated version maybe even not pull a McGann and show us the regeneration. I don’t think full out reviving the Time Lords would work out so possibly bring back a few like a new regeneration of Romana, a new incarnation of Susan, The Master who regenerates later in the episode, and a few others. I would also like Capaldi’s era to be a reflection era: throw a few jelly babies in a few episodes, have him throw out a fantastic, allonsy, Geronimo, reverse the pallarity of the neurton flow, kind of what they did for the flesh version of The Doctor.

Anonymous @

Here’s quite a nice piece on Capaldi from the Daily Record of all feckin’ places…

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-no-2129486

Anonymous @

@nick

I don’t know why you have such a big issue with human-alien relationships/offspring. Maybe it’s just because I’m American, but it seems like such things are de rigeur in Sci-Fi and have been for a while. After all, Hartnell was still the Doctor when Star Trek introduced us the human-Vulcan hybrid Spock. Since then we’ve had interspecies relationships and/or offspring on ST:TNG (Deanna Troi [half-Betazoid], the Troi-Riker relationship [half-Betazoid & human], the Troi-Worf relationship [half-Betazoid & Klingon] and the Yar-Data one-night-stand [human & android]), Babylon 5 (the Sheridan-Delenn relationship [human & Minbari]) and Farscape (the Crichton-Aeryn relationship [human & Sebacean], the D’Argo-Chiana relationship [Luxan & Nibari] and their child Jothee), just to name a few.

Regarding “real-world” interspecies breeding, I suggest you look up the liger/tigon and the red wolf. Not only are they hybrids, their offspring are actually fertile.

On the topic of human/Time Lord genetic history, I favor the “vice versa” position (TLs descended from humans) In fact, I’ve even got a bonkers theory to explain it:

Some time in the far future, a ship of humans hits some sort of temporal distubance and gets flung into the distant past. They crash on ancient Gallifrey, which is devoid of sentient life.  Over the millenia, living in such close prioximity to the Untempered Schism caused them to evolve into what we know as Gallifreyans. Consequently, if a population of humans were to take up permanent residence in the Tardis (it is big enough), they could eventually give rise to a new race of Time Lords.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all, I’ve closed this thread as it’s nearing the 1000 post limit. It continues here:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-next-doctor-2/

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.