General Music thread 2

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 2

This topic contains 1,008 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    Arbutus @arbutus

@xad4   Thanks for that lovely bit of Tom Waits!

@thekrynoidman   The Bangles, brilliant.  Always enjoy the Blues Brothers, and Soul Man in any version is great.

@idiotsavon    What a lovely surprise in the midst of the undead! Harry Belafonte, beautiful.

@whisht   Enjoyed Moonlight in Glory. Perfect title for the theme, and I was I the only one last week during the nights of the large round moon, who looked up into the evening sky and said aloud, “It’s an egg!” ? (And I love that you could even find a song called “Space Sickness”!)

Arbutus @arbutus

@xad4   Thanks for that lovely bit of Tom Waits!
    @thekrynoidman, The Bangles, brilliant.  Always enjoy the Blues Brothers, and Soul Man in any version is great.
    @idiotsavon    What a lovely surprise in the midst of the undead! Love HB.
    @whisht   Enjoyed Moonlight in Glory. Perfect title for the theme, and I was I the only one last week during the nights of the large round moon, who looked up into the evening sky and said aloud, “It’s an egg!” ? (And I love that you could even find a song called “Space Sickness”!)

And on the punk side:
    @fatmaninabox   I always enjoy the Blyth Power when it shows up on here.
    @scaryb   OMG. The Men That… fabulous! And that song! Be still my heart.
    And all the Clash tracks, awesome. @thekrynoidman, I have always thought of the Clash as punk music for smart people. In other words, there’s punk and there’s punk (as has once again been demonstrated on this thread!).

Whisht @whisht

ooh – well there’s so much good stuff here!

Nice to hear some Clash, but @scaryb – bloody Brunelling brilliant! The Men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing are new to me (which is a shame)!

@arbutus – Band and Butterfield – luvverly!

As far as this episode I had a quick trawl through my iTunes and even after dismissing loads of songs that ‘weren’t very good’ I’ve got 16 tracks. But then again “train” is kinda popular (especially if you have any Johnny Cash albums which account for a fair few!).

So a couple of the unlikely and more if I can’t think of a good reason not to share.

This one isn’t really a favourite and to be honest I get bored a bit of the way through – however it is about a Gospel Train to Heaven… a “Glory-bound Train”

However I’ll embed this one as its slightly unusual (kinda) and certainly not one I’ve heard in years.

Heeeeeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeeee’ssssssss Johnny!

Anonymous @

@scaryb

Thanks for introducing me to the ear-worm that is ‘Brunel’. I found myself humming it this morning when I woke up!

Loved the video too. There’s a nice subliminal image of the TARDIS towards the end 🙂

I had a quick look on YT for more of their songs – loving ‘The Gin Song’ – which is odd as I hate gin 😕

@xad4

I’ve never seen ‘Blackpool’ before but enjoyed that clip. I watched the Tennant/Morrissey ‘These Boots Were Made For Walking’ afterwards. Oh, so camp yet ‘manly’ at the same time 🙂

I’ll have to give it a watch one of these days.

@arbutus

I always enjoy the Blyth Power when it shows up on here.

Here, have some more…

This is their version of a song that vocalist Joseph Porter did with The Whisky Priests on the ‘Going Down With Alice’ album.

According to the stats on Media Player, they’re now my favourite band – knocking Gary Numan off the top spot after an impressive 35 year reign. I think playing all their albums 40+ times in the 4 weeks probably helped 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@Handles

You’re right – always room for more Clash (@TheKrynoidMan I’m with @arbutus – liking the Clash is definitely a sign of intelligence, discernment and generally being ultra cool!!)

Intrigued by @whisht‘s Red Snapper (new one on me (but so much on here is 🙂 )) tho I can see why @idiotsavon‘s dog wasn’t so keen!

@xad4 Lovely clip from Blackpool. Not seen it – seem to remember hearing good things about it. cast is good for a start.

@arbutus – that’s a tough choice for Mystery Train- the band with Butterfield… or Elvis’s throbbing bassy backbeat… ahem… scuse me, I need to go and take a cold shower!! 😳

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

Well done on the TARDIS spot in Brunel. I completely forgot that was there.

(Also for @whisht (and ta for the Smiths –  have we had the Smith’s on here before…?), @arbutus )

Came across TMWWNBBFN playing live, accidentally a year or 2 back. Late night/early morning, you’re on the way home… but then another gig jumps out at you and insists you come in…!  Thought they were great  – but a definite tendency to earwormery! Based in London – recommended if they’re gigging your way

Self described as: Crusty punk meets cockney sing-songs meets grindcore in the 1880s

1 of them’s a comedian

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

I heard this song recently, and it’s been stuck in my head

Whisht @whisht

ok, so as I was walking in to work this morning I heard two songs on shuffle that made me smile in a “I gotta put that one up”.

and for the first time evah I’m posting these from work (ssshhhhhh) even though I’m waaaay too busy.

anyway, here’s one for Mummy… which is more thematic (like the Should I stay or Should I go was) and possibly could be a song for a later (last?) show, as sung by Capaldi doc.

But it suits this episode as they were so explicit about it being the last time etc etc.

And you can never have enough Willie.

“How’s your new love,

I hope that he’s doing fine.”

Whisht @whisht

and here’s a far sillier connection (though not a silly song) for Mummy on the Orient Express (IN SPACE!).

Its a cover, but a great cover!

Foxes, who I had never heard of before turning up on DW, did a cover of Pharrell’s “Happy” that mashed it with Massive Attack’s “Teardrop” to, IMO rather good effect. I understand someone of X Factor ripped the idea off and if you want to see a little masterclass in understated snark check out Foxes Twitter stream.

(On a separate note she is going to have to work hard to protect her voice – she sings at the top of her register a lot). Starts a bout 2 mins in.

Whisht @whisht

oops – missed the edit.

I posted Walk on Gilded Splinters for (among other reasons) the line:

“Je suis Grande Zombie”.

which is close for a Mummy monster… (and without resorting to the Monster Mash I’m struggling with songs with actual mummies!)

🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@fatmaninabox    Thank you!  🙂  We had punk for engineers, and now we have some for poets. Brilliant.
    @thekrynoidman    Thanks for DMR. I had entirely forgotten that song, but it came back instantly!
    @scaryb    “The Men Who…” and Brunel have been passed on to some others, who are also planning to share. Maybe they will become a thing (assuming they aren’t already)?
    @whisht    Willie! And Cher! Bravo.

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@arbutus – agreed. We’re completely spoiled for train songs. I loved Mystery Train 🙂

I can think of at least seven tunes that I’d like to post. However, I’ve been ruthless and picked two. First, Hellbound Train (for its symmetry with Whisht’s Glory Bound train, and for doing things with bagpipes that I didn’t think were possible) and second Promised Land (A train song called Promised Land – need I say more?)

Honourable mentions: “Freight Train” – pick any one of a zillion covers, but for me Elizabeth Cotten is the original and best; “Salvation Train” – Scotty – just in case you didn’t like the sound of the Hellbound Train. (Imagine being on the wrong platform and getting the Hellbound one by accident!) and Train Blues – Woody Guthrie. Just because it’s Woody Guthrie.

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

It’s an obvious one for flatline, dealing with 2-d creatures coming into our world:

Can I just say – I really didnt rate this track by AHA on release. I nightly sit through a marathon on current “hits” on commericial radio. This came on as an outlier at the end of the hour two days agom and I almost wept with relief. Cheers Boys!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift Thanks for posting – a lovely video (oh the 80s hair). I must say I did like this track when it came out – had a weakness for their music – schmaltzy as it is.

Anonymous @

a score excerpt from Flatliners which has the peculiar flowery score of Newton Howard -I had some fun with that in the States and re-orchestrated it removing the choir. Happy Days. A film introducing the 2nd ‘brat pack’ I believe.

Anonymous @

Here is my Flatline video.  It fits the Rigsy graffiti theme.

@phaseshift – Nice catch on the 2-D aspect fits.  Now that I watch DW, that video is almost like watching Doctor AHA. 😀  very cool.

Special thanks to @idiotsavon for the Chuck Berry and to @xad4 for the amazing earwormyness. 😆

Anonymous @

Flat Eric!

You may remember that I posted Jonathan King’s cover of Hooked on a Feeling a while back, well here’s his cover of Satisfaction. It’s pretty good actually, a lot of his songs are. Such a shame he turned out to be such a disgusting person.

XAD4 @xad4

A song from Pippo Pollina, my favourite singer/songwriter.

For @htpbdet , whom I still miss a lot.

ScaryB @scaryb

@xad4

What a lovely post. PP is new to me, good find, and a lovely dedication.   I’ve been missing @htpbdet too.  I’m sure he’d have loved Capaldi’s Doctor, there’s so much Hartnell and BG inspiration in it, would have loved to have heard him expound on it!  It will be exactly a year ago on Saturday, I believe, since we lost him.

Arbutus @arbutus

@xad4    Yes, new to me as well. I didn’t join the forum until after @htpbdet‘s passing, but as a lurker since inception, I always read his posts with delight and admiration, especially when he was so generously sharing his amazing life story. Such a loss. I’m sure his friends here will be raising a glass in the pub after this week’s episode.

Arbutus @arbutus

I’ve had a tough time coming up with a tune for Flatline, so while this isn’t perfect, it’s the best I could do! Anyone remember Black Flag?

This is one of my all time favourites

Fun fact: That’s actually Joe Egan miming to Gerry Rafferty’s vocals in the video. The reason being that Rafferty had left Stealers Wheel at the time the video was filmed (he re-joined later that year though)

More Dexys

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Only one choice for me, and an old favourite (it’s bound to be somewhere on the previous pages.

“Come closer and see,
    See into the trees…”

With lots of nice pictures of trees. The Cure always finish a concert with this track, and it always changes from year to year and between actual performances. A bit like a real forest, it’s never quite the same twice.

Arbutus @arbutus

Craig @craig
    Emperor

No real hounds, but plenty of trees. “It’s in the trees, it’s coming” is sampled from the classic “Night of the Demon” which is well worth a watch.

Anonymous @

@arbutus I remember Black Flag. I had a boyfriend who adored ‘Blag’ (his word!).

@phaseshift The Cure. Never enough of The Cure. My first concert: a blast! what an appropriate song for this recent episode.

@craig I love Kate; one of the best rock voices of the past century. I am ashamed that I didn’t discover her until I was about 19? My parents banned any radio except ‘soft rock’ and dreadful talk back -talk back in Australia with John Laws was a horrible time -very right-wing, very inactive and smug. Those stations with Laws ‘look-a-likes’ are still vomiting out their evil trash: cut down the trees to make furniture? You betcha! Never ratify anything which improves our ecological and environmental situation! Absolutely. Is economics a God and does ‘God’ guide his apostle, The Market? Oh yes: “Without God and the Market, we are done for”.

Talk back goes round and round on the issues of ‘leftist’ global warming ‘attitudes’ and how social programmes are unimportant compared with bringing our economy back into black. The stuff of nightmares. If I had loads of cash I’d de-bunk to Scandinavia or Canada. Waves at Arbutus 🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion     I’m sure Canada would be happy to have you!  🙂  But have you seen anything about our government these days? It’s absolutely shameful. Up with pipelines and tar sands, down with science and public broadcasting. Down with foreign aid, up with military interventions and anti-terrorist measures. Honestly, it’s painful watching as our current leader works to dismantle everything that the rest of the world admires about us. Fortunately, we have an election in another year, and it’s just possible that people are finally tired of this a**hat and his minions.

Spleen vented… no, wait.  AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Okay. Done now.

Anonymous @

@arbutus did you say a** hat? Good grief, you must be mad girl!  Yes, well, Australia has very little in the way of foreign news so, no, I didn’t remember beyond what you had said last time and clearly I wasn’t paying attention!  Yes democracy will out. out. out. out.

I shall shout for you too  -it will help AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHH.

Whisht @whisht

“I’m sorry; I’m so, so sorry”

Been away from this thread for far too long!

And now don’t have time to listen to all this great stuff!
    And now that its a new week I won’t get chance till next weekend!
    arghh!

ah well, just thought I had to post this one for Flatline.

A few reasons:
    Graffiti – Bristol (not just Banksy)
    3D – Robert Del Naja

Well, that just leaves Massive Attack (ok a band-name that could be for many episodes but…) and I chose this one.
    There may be better ones, but I just thought that it could be Danny’s Theme (should he actually get to stand up and protect Clara in a later episode)

Whisht @whisht

Ok – found some time this evening (night) and listened to all the great stuff people had posted (thanks from me let alone all the other lurkes out there hungry for great music!).

And, as I may have spotted a trend of post-ers posting to a thread and then next to the Spoilers thread, I’m even scared a little of reading an threads in case anyone inadvertently gives something away (easy to do and I’m just overly sensitive!).
    So, I may lurk around this thread until the weekend (if wifi allows me to access it!).

now onto the great choons!

@idiotsavon – Hellbound Train! Bagpipes! WIN! ;¬)
    (although always prefer a pipe with a drone… now, where was that wonderful piper Arbutus linked to…?

and Chuck effing Berry! wowowowow

ahhhhhh @phaseshift – you made me watch Aha all the way through for (probably) the first time.
    I kinda sneakily loved it at the time for the drawings, but also the innocent pop (though even then I was getting too chin-stroking to “like” pop – stoopid me).
    And of course you chose the Forest (I was wonderig who would and then I realised of course you would! ;¬) ) good video choice btw!

Apologies if I missed who @Anonymous is/was – nice track and a great link to graffitti!

@fatmaninabox – well, I basically saw the puppet and thought “oh god, some dreadful naff comedy track…” and then the fat beat kicked in (if you’ll pardon the expression).
    thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!

@thekrynoidman – thanks for that King track – the orchestration (if that’s the right word) is extraordinary – mandolin(?), dry drums, damped-down yet ending in full throated singing, with lush strings.
    And though I was never madly in to Dexys, its possibly better in hindsight (so much music was wasted on my youth!)

@xad4 – never heard of him before but was lovely and I think we all agree, we do miss HTPBDET. Shall raise a glass to the stars…

@arbutus – Black Flag! Henry Rollins is just a tad….. intense!
    Cameo on Who for Mr Rollins….. 😈
    and Tyger… not heard that before (haven’t yet got into Tangerine Dream…but expect to)

@purofilion with her Flatliners six-degrees-of-orchestration….

and (for both puro and arbutus) I always thought this an interesting and not too jarring political statement on the Boards of Canada album “Music Has the Right to Children” – out of context it might seem polemic, but tucked away on an album awash with nostalgic electronic sounds… it has a gentle poignancy.
    (honestly a great album).

@craig – perfect! “Is in the trees!” indeed!

XAD4 @xad4

@scaryb @arbutus @whisht – Thank you for your kind words!

Arbutus – this one’s for you 😀

Anonymous was @barnable! What has happened to Barnable??? 😮

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht   “Safe From Harm” could be a theme for the whole series: Danny keeping Clara safe, the Doctor keeping the earth safe, Clara keeping various children/people safe, and so on. It’s a thing!   🙂  And the Boards of Canada track was exactly the breath of sanity needed to pull me back from my Harper-induced madness (I’m okay, now, @purofilion, really!).

@xad4    Oh, lovely! He has such a beautiful, smooth sound. And doesn’t a mellow song sound even more mellow in Italian? My Italian is far too minimal to understand much of it, but I’m just going to assume that he’s saying nice things about my city.  🙂

I’m not sure if anybody’s already posted this.

Anonymous @

Happy Halloween! Last year we had a few murder ballads so here’s another.

Blyth Power take a break from their usual mixture of punk/folk/sea-shanties and present something a little darker. Oh, and the video was created by me!

Arbutus @arbutus

@fatmaninabox    Oh, that is sweet. Nice video, too! I love the instrumentation in that, properly atmospheric.

Steeleye Span did a lot of fairly bloody tunes, without the edgy punk sound, but surprisingly grim lyrics in a folk-rock package.

And here is their take on Kurt Weill:

And for something completely different (just because I have always loved this song):

Happy Hallowe’en!

As it’s Halloween, I thought that I would put up the theme from Halloween

Whisht @whisht

ooh (or “wwwooooooohhoooohooooohhooooooo” I need to listen to those Halloween tracks.

However, I’ll be obvious and put a couple up now:

and for a (ghoulish) laugh

I’ve posted this before, but the video seems to have been removed, so here it is again
    As I said before, best riff ever (In my opinion)

Arbutus @arbutus

For @mudlark:   The sublime voice of Andreas Scholl, singing from Gluck’s Orfeo. Orfeo has just lost Euridice again after rescuing her from the underworld: What shall I do without Euridice? Where shall I go without my love? Euridice! Euridice! O heavens! Answer! I am still true to you! Euridice! Euridice! Ah, there is no help, no hope for me either on earth nor in heaven!

And @whisht, Screamin’ Jay, outstanding!   🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I don’t think this has been posted yet. Apologies if so.

David Byrne does seem like he should be from Gallifrey.

Mudlark @mudlark

@arbutus

Lovely! Thank you.  I have only ever seen Gluck’s Orfeo in a televised production, and that a very long time ago, but Che faro is one of my favourite arias.

Anonymous @

@arbutus @mudlark   How wonderful. Scholl is unsurpassed in my opinion. I picked up my own recording of Che Faro last eve and it reminded me of my very very first conducting experience for my post grad: Orfeo and Eurydice. The entire circle were women! Not bad! I took it too fast -waaay too nervous. I remember every second of that from the chill voice from the speakers calling for “all players to stage” to “all musicians to desks please” followed by “concertmaster and conductor 20 seconds please”. Some poor joker had to whisper, “hey, that’s you, go, you’ll be late”.

I just wanted to pee, really. Or run far and fast -in the other direction.

Kindest, puro

Arbutus @arbutus

@craig    Beautiful track, and excellent avatar! Byrne would be one of the more enigmatic Time Lords, certainly.

@purofilion   Kudos to you. I did take a conducting course as part of my undergrad, and frankly, I sucked at it. I seemed to lose all control over my body parts the minute I got that baton in my hand!

I have a recording of Scholl performing 15th century German songs, and on a couple of tracks he sings in his natural baritone. It is absolutely rich and gorgeous!

Whisht @whisht

ok, Orpheus is a Classical theme but… hopefully not to bring the tone down, here are two Orpheus choons from my stash.

(bit muddy in terms of audio quality but can’t find another version from the album)

and

which is a bit more… or less classical. Or… actually more Classical…

oh, and yes, @craig I’ve done “Heaven” before (‘god’ knows where but after the Promised Land was first brought up) but even though I have it I still listened to the link again as its just such a great track! 🙂 )

Whisht @whisht

although to be honest, I think that this track sums up where we are so far… ok maybe not, but I couldn’t resist the title! 🙂

“He’s a man, with a plan…”

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,009 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 2’ is closed to new replies.