General Music thread 2

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 2

This topic contains 1,008 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht

Thanks for Mercury Rev (and Sly – 2 for the price of one 🙂 ) and thoughts. Their Deserter’s Song album was a staple of my walkman (ha! Dated, or what??) back in the day. (“Stones” – haha)

And in that spirit (and to celebrate bonkers spelling), a bit more of the Family Stone – Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)

ScaryB @scaryb

… Sly’s Thank You led me on a little trail. Not sure whose song came first but this is good too.

(Standing on) Shaky Ground

(Delbert McClinton)

FUNK-EEE

😉

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I think this may have been posted in Music Thread 1, but it’s always worth a repost.

Can’t think why it’s running through my head right now. 😈

wolfweed @wolfweed

Robbery Songs…

Craig @craig
    Emperor
    ScaryB @scaryb

Haha @craig

You just beat me to it 🙂

Nice choices as well @wolfweed

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Sorry @scaryb

I was also reminded of this. One of my favourite silly, romantic songs.

“She looks at me, and she knows…”

Anonymous @

alright, not a robbery song, but by golly is appropriate for this thread and forum, indeed.

Anonymous @

@At all -at 1.30 min it starts to get interesting so perhaps bear with it!

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Thanks Jonathan Richman – love that song.

This one for you –

“strange days indeed”

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

One of The Beatles most underrated songs

If you listen carefully at some points you can hear John Lennon singing “baby you’re a rich f** jew” in reference to their manager Brain Epstein.

Arbutus @arbutus

Wow, an inspiring theme, this one, lots of great tracks already! Special thanks @scaryb, for yesterday’s great bit of Delbert McClinton, and @purofilion for the Flanders & Swann. We love songs about science in our house!  🙂  Here are my heist tunes:

Anonymous @

Time Heist Theme

Warning, some rough lyrics

Arbutus @arbutus

So terribly, terribly saddened to learn this afternoon of the passing of Christopher Hogwood: brilliant conductor, scholar, and founder of the historical performance movement. His recordings of 18th century music were fresh and new when I was at music school in the eighties, and they have stood the test of time. His Messiah will always be my desert island version!

This recording of Mozart’s Paris Symphony, by his Academy of Ancient Music, made my jaw drop the first time I heard it in a class on Mozart way back when, and my audiophile husband always used it to “test drive” new stereo components!

Anonymous @

@arbutus  Hogwood died today??  Goodness, how sad.  A beautiful man; talented; rich in personality and also so very nuanced. A true nature lover too, @soundworld. As arbutus says, his classical scores were some of the best ever -better than the German school which approached everything with reverberation and decadence. Thank you for the Paris recording. I shall go thru the 1500 discs I have and find some Hogwood -there’s some great Bach on ‘b’ side? We’re going to the Coast for a while (including Sunday) after the next few days when we have 2 consecutive sleepovers!!

Goodness, I’ll need some gentle music to calm me and the running feet!

Kindest, purofilion

soundworld @soundworld

With the (rather more limited than some of you) classical listening I have done, I agree re the light dynamic nuanced touch compared to the German school.  The only music I had growing up was classical, in fact mainly Medieval and Renaissance, my father was a big David Munro fan, with many LPs and listening to his breathless enthusiasm on Radio 3 each week – I can barely remember this!

I always thought the Academy of Ancient Music were amazing.

Whisht @whisht

wow – so much caching up to do!
    Apologies for being missing in inaction!

@scaryb – wow – great version of Sly andthefamileestone
    funkeefunkeeeunkeeeeeeee! yeeahAhha-aahh-hh
    (and that would be one helluva look for the next Doctor!)
    (and never even heard of Delbert McClinton before!)

@wolfweed – Bankrobbery?? yah? blimey!

@craig – yep. Just yep.

I’ve got crime songs but the only bank heist that springs to mind… isn’t. Well, its not really a bank heist.
    Perhaps that makes it more appropriate? dunno.

Sad to hear of someone great passing, but lovely to hear this music.
    My classical knowledge is sadly pretty much zero – its just something that was never in the house when I was growing up. A bit of Mario Lanza, yes, but orchestral classical, no.
    which is a shame as I approach it like either a mountain or weird countryside – slightly alien, beautiful but…. not sure I belong. One day maybe as its breathtaking!

I only have one song that I think is appropriate as a motif for the series so far, but probably more for Robot of Sherwood specifically, but generally I just get this sense from CapalDoc that he doesn’t want us to blindly follow him/others/gods/heroes.

I also think he’d appreciate the acerbic tone (though they were a bit prog weren’t they??!??)

ScaryB @scaryb

@whishtNo More heroes – great theme for this series. (And any excuse for Blood on the Tracks era Dylan is fine by me!)

Continuing the heroes theme -“we can be heroes – just for one day

(And I’m with you on lack of classical music knowledge, but this thread has been a great eduction, thanks to @Purofilion and @arbutus among many – thank you all)

This has been hanging round my head since watching The Caretaker – for Courtney in particular, but also for the line “school’s been blown to pieces” – which it might have been had it not been for the Doctor)

(that’s also for @cathannabel who I seem to remember is a fellow Alice fan)

Whisht @whisht

he he @scaryb – yep Heroes was the other one!

Though we should link to another brick in the wall if that was what the Doctor was whistelling (I didn’t recognise it, but before I got tediumed by the Guardian blog, someone mentioned that that was what was what he was whistling).

I did have this for Clara based (incredibly loosely) on the eye motif:

so not suitable for needing to go to bed, but….. kinda grooovy.

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht

Ha ha, nice (I always miss the f*ckin obvious!). And of course there’s the “Pink” ref to Danny.

This could also work for Time Heist

Of course there’s also Breathe (this clip couples it with Time ) –

(I’ll leave the obvious for next week’s episode!)

Apparently the Floyd’s next album is The Endless River (maybe they’re just trying to cash in on Dr Who references 😉 Or maybe it’s just a zeitgeisty thing)

Oh and thanks for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion track, love that 🙂 So what are you doing, going to bed at 10pm…?!   Loadsa time yet!! 😉

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Yes – it’s troubling how many gifted songwriters over the years haven’t felt the need to write odes to their old school caretaker. Apparently there are more songs about people who issue driving tickets. 🙂

I thought @craig nailed it last week with bankrobber (special nod to @barnable for Scooby Snacks), but my contribution this week is a bit of wordplay.

A song about caring a lot (not) which may suit the mood of the Doctor as far as his people skills go. And by Faith No More, so celebrating atheist subtexts real or imaginary.

Oh – and a time travelling connection. Guitarist Jim Martin has travelled time in a Telephone Box. Bill and Ted’s version in their second film. Sir James Martin! Station!

Anonymous @

My song for Clara.
    I like this cover version better than the real one. Apologies it is a bit of an earworm. 😀

Whisht @whisht

@scaryb – yeah, Floyd do seem to be getting the connections for this thread! (and no bad thing).

Barnable – quite earwormy indeed! Will now wash my ears out!

Hats (including fezzes) off to @phaseshift for metaMusicMagic (no Rita linking from me).

Though surprised no one was silly enough* to go for this:

*whadyamean me??

and whaddymean “caretaker” and “janitor” are very very different?

Arbutus @arbutus

My tune is awfully kitschy compared to the PF and other great stuff people have suggested, never mind the epicosity of @whisht‘s contribution, but the chorus of this popped right into my head during my first viewing of this week’s episode and wouldn’t go away. And so…

Here’s Geoff Muldaur’s cover of Brazil from the film Brazil

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I had a couple of tracks for characters/interactions. And @whisht will be delighted that there is no thrash guitar here (although I’ll remain silent on the possibility of thrash sax and violins).

For Danny’s attitude to the Doctor being of “Officer” class, this gem by The Damned, Generals, came to mind. Seriously, if you haven’t heard their album Strawberries, you’re missing out.

“and only the wounded remain,
    The Generals have all left the game,
    With no will to fight,
    They’ll fade with the light,
    There’s nobody left they came main.”

Going back, I can’t believe this didn’t occur for Rusty the Dalek a few weeks ago. His sudden revelation on the cyclic nature of the universe and the wonder of denying your “Pureblood” status. It’s by New Model Army, with violin support by Ed Alleyne Johnson, who I used to open the music thread, way, way back in the past.

“Revolution forever,
    Succession of the seasons
    Within the blood of Nature,
    All raised to rot and die
    This purity is a lie”

Anonymous @

@phaseshift you’re right – I was missing out. I loved that song by The Damned; listening to the crazed sax, trumpets and drums echoing behind the totally catchy chorus was superb and right-on for this  week -& indeed the season.

Kindest, puro

This was a massive hit back in the 70’s, and it is hilariously bad.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

OK, before bed. One for the author of Modern Tribes.

Because, as the serious journalist she wishes she was, that column was filled with despair. I love Doctor Who. No apologies. This Modern Love. Bloc Party. Possibly epic.

For this evenings episode. I;m sure we could all name a track with “Moon” in the title. An American Werewolf in London made a thing of it. From the 80s, the second track I had a snog to (I was a teenager – I kept count!).

The Killing Moon.

Anonymous @

A couple of ‘moon’ songs…

Anonymous @

With the combination of the Band’s name and the video, this has to me my moon song.

Arbutus @arbutus

And another one, just for fun.

XAD4 @xad4

Thought I’d contribute a song, for a change…

XAD4

Anonymous @

I have my theme songs for next week’s monster already (sorry for posting them early).  From the preview at the end of this week’s episode it looks like a mummy is going to be the next monster.

I can’t believe there is a band called “Here Comes the Mummies” and they really are mummies too! 😯

They only sing ‘Double Entendre’ songs, which seems like fate to me, considering the turn some of the latest posts have taken.  It seems to fit the mood of the forum at the moment.  I just picked this one because it made me laugh the most, but they have a lot of good funny songs at youtube (if you like their humor?).    I don’t know if other countries have ‘hot-dog (i.e. sausage) vendors’ like in the US, so that is important to get the jokes in this song.

I am tagging a few names of people, only because I think they might like it based on their posts, no other reason intended.

@scaryb @whisht You both like SlyatFS, so you might like these guys.  They are very good musicians.

@KrynoidMan TY for the funny Floaters video.  I lost it and fell on the floor every time  Larry takes the mic. So maybe you will like these because they are hilarious.

@fatmaninabox You posted The Monkeys video, so Here Come the Monkeys, is almost Here Come the Mummies.

@brewski @idiotsavon @pedant @thommck maybe you might think these are funny from the latest posts I mentioned above. 😉

This song has a double entendre too, and fits the mummy theme because the mummy’s rags are the oldest out of style clothes possible.

I really hope the monster is a mummy or none of this is going to make sense at all. 😕

On the subject of Mummies

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

Thanks @handles. That was a bit surreal.

I don’t think I know any tunes about (or performed by) mummies. But here is a nice, upbeat song about the risen dead.

Anonymous @

@idiotsavon & @thekrynoidman   both of those were great!  As for Yankee talk shows -I can’t get a hold of them 🙂

I’d never heard the Zombie Jamboree before. It’s gorgeous: his voice is like syrup, yeah? “your foot is sticking out, cover eet up” Very funny.

Well, off to work shortly. We’ll be watching Status Anxiety with Alain Botton -the score is great, and out of no-where. Great series though.

Kindest, puro.

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@purofilion

Yup. Harry Belafonte has a fab voice 🙂

I first heard this song about 20 years ago when my mum used to drag me to folk clubs 🙂

The couple who played/sang it in the folk club are still going strong on the local music circuit. Here’s their version:

https://soundcloud.com/mambojambo/mambo-jambo-back-to-back

x

Whisht @whisht

blimey (that’ll be Prince Blimey but more of that anon) I’ve not been here enough and great to hear some choons!

I wasn’t going to post a ‘moon’ song, but loved the fact that others here did!
    Never wrong to have some Creedence and Waits (nice @arbutus and @xad4)
    So, obviously there’s a gazillion Moon songs, and I was reluctant to link to any more radiohead, but this one has a few references to stuff like cobwebs, president, Ark.
    and its a bit of a lullaby (aawww).

But I weakened and rifled through my CDs and came up with this for the moon* – one of the few albums I don’t think I’ve linked to anything from before.
    (*bugger all to do with the moon though!)

Whisht @whisht

Anyway…. she may not yet be a formal companion/ assistant, but in the rather random series of songs for companions – here’s one for Courtney (from the Caretaker)

This is from the album Prince Blimey which it turns out has some eerily Who-related song-names!

Maybe Moffat or RTD are fans…?

🙂

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@whisht

I kind of liked Red Snapper. But have to say my dog isn’t so keen.

She was fast asleep on her beanbag, then when I clicked play she woke up slowly and eventually sat up, staring at me as if to say WTF.

After 2 mins I muted the sound and she immediately settled back down into her deep dog sleep.

She has no taste, obviously.
    🙂

Was always disappointed that this wasn’t in the film.

Whisht @whisht

ah @idiotsavon – it seems in your household Red Snapper divides opinion as much as Courtney (well, any child actor) does in being a companion.

Its definitely an anxious piece of music!

So now I’ll go all ‘radio’ and apologise if you’ve just listened to Red Snapper and are all in a bit of a tizz (even if you’re a dog); so…

“Here’s one for all you lovers out there…”

Anonymous @

A train themed song for you – not the Orient Express though, the engine number mentioned (47484) is the ‘Isambard Kingdom Brunel’

ScaryB @scaryb

Some great moon posts, esp @xad4 – you can’t beat Tom Waits 😉 (And @arbutus for Creedence)

And great stuff already for Mummy… I’m amazed at some of these links – Here Come the Mummies indeed! (Thanks @thekrynoidman) – a song for every occasion indeed!

On a different tack this seemed rather appropriate for Clara’s state of mind the last couple of weeks –

(The Clash – Should I Stay or Should I GO?)

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

Funny you should mention IKB… reminded me of this (I also claim steampunk relevance to the current episode)

The mighty The Men Not who Will Not be Blamed for Nothing (Brunel). There’s not  enough musical tributes to engineers IMHO!

Anonymous @

@scaryb @craig  I thought one of you would beat me to this one.

Too obvious, but always room for More Clash

@scaryb Here’s a story about The Clash. I was at College (I study media there) one day, and we were filming a couple of bands from the music course. Anyway, one of the bands preformed several songs by the Clash. When it was over I was talking to a couple of my fellow students and pointed this out to them. One of them then said “you look like somebody who listens to the Clash”.
    Now, looking at my avatar, do I look like somebody who listens to 1970’s punk music? I mean I do, but that’s still a pretty odd statement to make.

XAD4 @xad4

Thanks @scaryb!

Just to post something that’s the total opposite of Tom Waits (and because I just happened to listen to it when I read your post), here’s another song that asks “Should I stay / should I go”.

Oh, and look, I’ve chosen the incredibly cheesy version with three Doctor Who actors in it, from BBC’s marvellous Blackpool. 😀

Arbutus @arbutus

Some terrific stuff on here to get caught up with, but before I do, my train song. So many great possibilities, but my choice is Mystery Train. Lots of versions including the classic by Elvis, and another by the very cool Brian Setzer, but I’m going with this one:

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 1,009 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 2’ is closed to new replies.