On The Sofa (6)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (6)

This topic contains 1,013 replies, has 103 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,014 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

As the new series has finished, a new sofa has appeared for us to gather upon. This is a place to congregate, somewhere to “hang out”. It’s a topic for general chat about anything you want, and a place for new members to pop in and say “hello” without worrying about making any real contribution (we know that your first post can sometimes feel daunting). We’d love to hear from you all. We’re very friendly.

This is a continuation of the previous On The Sofa thread which was nearing its maximum posting limit.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Wooo hoooo – a brand new sofa! Hastily scatters glitter, biscuit crumbs and iridescent fish scales – well – it has to be well worn to be loved.

@danmartinuk  The comments closed on your Jenna piece before I could comment! I am still holding out for Clara as the Doc’s grand-daughter or his pathway to his grand-daughter in some way. River’s comment about her link to Clara still resonates.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Found: underneath the old sofa.

• One ‘ban Black Friday’ placard.
    • A copy of the Guardian.
    • A brown warehouse coat.
    • A patch for ‘inducing dreams’ which is apparently ‘For Medical Use Only’. Honest.
    • A Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich.
    • A birthday card.
    • A cup of coffee (half drunk)
    • A student edition of Framework Maths 9, with ‘Ozzie loves the squaddie’ written inside the back cover.
    • Also assorted loose change, biscuit crumbs, bits of chalk and some hay.

😉

Barbara Lefty @barbaralefty

Those in the uk – Just discover we missed reruns of the unearthly child on the horror channel here in UK :-\

Oh, well, we’ll have to YouTube it and settle for the Daleks and the Mind robber. Looked like BBC 3 was also doing reruns (spotted the Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe) but nothing more. Hope I can catch some more.

Doctor or philosopher? I got 9/10. Bloody Descartes!

@pedant – I got exactly the same, right down to the question I got wrong. 🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @bluesqueakpip 10/10 for me. 😀 I’m “clearly at home with Big Thinkers and The Great Intelligence.”

Anonymous @

@pedant @bluesqueakpip @craig

10/10 here too 😯

I must admit that my result owed more to my knowledge of Doctor quotes than my (non-existent) knowledge of philosophy. I thought that Hobbes was the Professor in Midnight and Bertram Russell directed Women In Love 😕

Anonymous @

Oops, I appear to have gotten compost all over the nice, new sofa. At least, I hope it’s compost and not, ahem, natural fertiliser 😉

Arbutus @arbutus

This should have been in the pub– it’s quiz night! Apparently I’m at home with @craig and the Great Intelligence. Going to grab another drink now.  🙂

@fatmaninabox    Never admit anything!

Mudlark @mudlark

@pedant et al.   10/10 for me too, though my knowledge of the philosophers in question is entirely superficial.

janetteB @janetteb

9/10 for me and time for another coffee.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

k sorry need to get this out…OSGOOD D: D: D: WHY HER????? That’s honestly the only reason I don’t like missy. She’s so funny otherwise 🙂 “Hey Missy you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind HEY MISSY. 😛

Slightly smug 10/10, so I guess my ‘research’ is progressing 🙂

Strax @strax

Well, I am doing well with my collection of autographed photo’s for my 11 year old daughter, well in my world, my little boy, who is more into classic Dr. Who than most adults I know.  🙂  It’s Jolly good fun.  (But damn hard to get some of the autographs).

Anna's Collection

littlepengwing @littlepengwing

Hi Whovians,

As a person who has never watched Dr Who before, I just want to send out a question as I’d really appreciate the help. Please be gentle should it seem like a no brainer.

I have a friend that’s a fan and she is after the fob watch that the 10th doctor has. I’ve been looking around at all the versions and I’m slightly confused. Can someone tell me the difference between the Doctor fob watch and The Master’s fob watch? I’ve seen someone people use the term interchangeably. The watches look pretty similar, but with some variations…I’m after a metal/silver, definitely not a plastic one, if that helps. If you would ever so kindly point me in the right direction, I’d be most thankful.

@littlepengwing – you literally have to look for ’10th Doctor’s Fob Watch’. Or sometimes they’re called the ‘David Tennant Fob Watch.’ If your friend is after metal, go for ‘prop replica’.

Frankly, the two watches are so astonishingly similar, I suspect they reused the prop. 😉

littlepengwing @littlepengwing

I’m told the master’s watch is used by a villain called the master, hence the name. Is this true? Or is it just because it’s the metal version of the watch.

dreamerofgallifrey @dreamerofgallifrey

@littlepengwing Yeah, The Master’s FOB watch is the watch used by the villain The Master. You really should watch the show, it is truly fantastic 🙂

Also, HI EVERYONE! I’m new here. So thought I’d approach the sofa and introduce myself. I’m Alannah. Been a Doctor Who fan for about five years now (I know, I’m a relative infant-fan!).

Look forward to talking with all of you!

Possibly the oddest thing you will see today

Every episode of BG Who – all at once (well, the 1st 15 mins). 707 ep, including reconstructions.

avpr212 @avpr212

@avpr212

Hmmm. Some, I don’t know enough to care, some possibly for plot reasons, some, give them time…

Which all leads to highly dubious bonkerising and means I should go and sit down for a while

Just read over the article and while I don’t agree with every point that was made, I do agree that it is time to get some different creative vision in the mix. I, personally, feel it is time for Moffat to step aside and focus on Sherlock (which is still continuing to be immensely successful). However, I’m not sure who I would like to take the reigns. I do still love every Gatiss episode though. One other point I definitely agree with is that killing off Seb was just ridiculous. I love Chris Addison as an actor, so I was very excited when he appeared, but killing him off like that was very disappointing.

@dreamerofgallifrey, hi Alannah, on the Chris Addison point, I’m inclined to disagree just a touch. They already know a Sherlock/Doctor Who crossover probably wouldn’t be as good as we think, I really think for all but the utterly uninitiated, that would be too much The Thick of it/Doctor Who cross over, and for me, they need separate pocket universes, with no more that 2-5% bleed across from one to the other being sufficient.

Which is to say, I think they have to tone about perfect right now 🙂

@Barbara Lefty has Chris Addison been in Sherlock? Did I completely miss that? Or did I completely miss your point? Haha, sorry!

@dreamerofgallifrey, just making a general point about crossovers 😉  although I can see Chris working in the Sherlock universe 😀

@Barbara Lefty oh okay, excuse my being thick, haha 🙂

Chris would be great in Sherlock. Have you seen any of his stand up? It’s fantastic!

Arbutus @arbutus

avpr212     I confess I actually find articles like this one fairly irritating. The problem here is that one person’s missed opportunity is another person’s lucky break. Although the points themselves are not all without merit, the writer is essentially complaining because Moffat didn’t do the series he would have done. He clearly isn’t a fan of Moffat and the article really should have been called “Ten Reasons Why I Think Moffat Should Go”.

Two points in particular stood out for me. Firstly, although Seb was great, I can’t agree with the assumption that every great guest spot is wasted if it isn’t turned into a recurring role. We don’t know if Addison had any interest in doing more than he did, in any case. Secondly, the complaint about a lack new writers was an odd one. I don’t think that it makes sense to bring in new writers for every episode and ignore long-time contributors for an entire series.

@pedant    That video was fascinating. It showed very clearly the different pace in different eras: some screens felt almost like stills, while others were a blur of motion. The sound was very eery!

@avpr212

What do you guys think of this article? http://whatculture.com/tv/doctor-who-10-biggest-missed-opportunities-of-series-8.php

I took one look, saw that I would need 10 clicks to read a single article and proceeded no further. Such click-whoring is both shameless and shameful.

I presume it was the usual whine-fest.

@arbutus

some screens felt almost like stills,

Those might have been the reconstructions 😉

Arbutus @arbutus

@pedant      Well, you’re right, of course. I’d forgotten about the reconstructions.   😳  And on another watch, the movement in the colour episodes is more apparent than in the black and white ones due to the colour contrasts. But even with that in mind, there was still a marked difference in tempo between the Hartnell episodes and some of the later ones. Even some of the Third and Fourth Doctor windows seemed to have a lot of “talking head” scenes.

Grumpydalek @grumpydalek

Greetings, Whoinverse!

what I really want for Christmas (besides the special) is for someone who is clever with video to make a Doctor Who video to the Bowie song, “Hallo Spaceboy”.

I am not that clever.

It would make this the best Christmas ever….

The wee one just spontaneously tore across the room, skidded up to me and hissed in my ear…

‘LISTEN!!!!!!’

Then she laughed and ran away…

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Tomorrows Worlds and the Power of Time Travel is on BBC 2 next… probably some Dr. Who clips in there <settles on the sofa and munches glittery biscuits>

lisa @lisa

@Barbara Lefty – You have a burgeoning Who-ster! What a gift it is to share all of the Who-verse
    with the kids thru the years. Its also helps to remind yourself about that when they have a unfortunate
    ‘little Dalek’ moment. Hope she gets a present from the Doctor in her stocking this Xmas.

@lisa, yup, she’s already bonkerising at age 7. Today it was, “Do you think aliens have a Santa?”

janetteB @janetteb

Re’ @avpr212 link I skimmed through dismissing every point as either minor or outright incorrect, (having just rewatched LIsten last night I was outraged by their criticism of what in my view is one of the highlights of a good season) until  I got to point 2 which which I agree 101% . The article was worth it after all, but purely for point 2.

@Barbara Lefty. I love that question. I think we could have a lovely discussion about that but I think my conclusion would be, if they don’t have a Santa then they need one or at the very least, A Doctor.

Cheers

Janette

@avpr212, @lisa, i think Lisa has a point about Ian, but that for me falls under the category of give it time, hopefully.

I think Christmas will establish that at least one alien has a Santa! And as for encouraging the next generation, there will be a wee delivery from the Doctor, via the BBC shop. I must admit, I’m absolutely loving it. I know you shouldn’t live through your kids, but man, this is fun!

@pedant, is that what it’s like inside the Doctors head? Up to and including the music, which according to Clara, he hears when he comes out with rubbish? 😀 The white noise, while only white noise, makes me think of ‘The Division Bell.’

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@barbaralefty Do like myself a bit of Sultans of Ping. Thanks for that. 😀

For everyone else with access to iPlayer, the last part of “Tomorrow’s Worlds” focussing on time travel was broadcast last night. Contains a big chunk about Doctor Who at the start.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p026cd65/tomorrows-worlds-the-unearthly-history-of-science-fiction-4-time

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@avpr212 and @pedant — am afraid I really dislike What Culture. Apart from being the home of the clickbait listicle non-article, it’s also a web’s biggest repository of ARSE (after the Grauniad, of course)….

kermit @kermit

hello there. I’ve just joined (!) -looking forward to the pleasures of the forum!  to start with I’ve a question that’s been bugging me for a while …

does anyone know the name of the teleporting silver alien that if it touches you, you die (or something along those lines!)  ? – I think it was blind and only responded to your movement as a form of telling where you were. I think it was during the Sylvester McCoy or Peter Davidson  incarnations , but I could be wrong. And its not in the “doctor who site” monsters and aliens section .

anyone have an idea?

@kermit, sounds a little like the Raston Warrior robot from the Five Doctors, but I am probably wrong. Others more knowledgeable will correct me.

katemcl @katemcl

Ok, I have just thought of something impossible to believe, Peter Capaldi(sorry if i spelled that wrong) is the SECOND FIRST DOCTOR! Just let that settle in a bit.

Ok, time to say how i got it. everything is really smooth up until the 8th doctor, people say it went 8th, war, 9th. If this is true the 9th doctor is really the 10th doctor, the 10th doctor is really the 11th doctor, (it gets confusing again) and the 10th doctor is ALSO really the 12th doctor, the 11th is really the 13th doctor, leaving Peter to be the 2nd 1st doctor (this makes sence if you remember when the 11th doctor got the 2nd regeration cycle) speaking of the 2nd regeneration cycle maybe Matt being the real 13th doctor is why HE got it. I mean think, why would the 11th doctor need a second cycle so early, he still has like a hundred years if he has 2 more regenerations i mean really he could have just let one of those two get it, if he was the 11th doctor, which my theory says he is not, also i know you are all commenting”but everything says Peter is the 12th doctor,Matt is the 11th doctor,David is the 10th doctor, and Christopher is the 9th doctor” I KNOW THAT I AM NOT STUPID! But maybe this is some kind of hidden lore or something they wanted us to find. BUT REMEMBER THIS IS A THEORY, IN NO WAY AM I SAYING THIS IS TRUE, I AM THEORIZING, THINKING OUT OF THE BOX, FOR ALL I KNOW THIS THEORY WILL GO DOWN IN FLAMES, SO STOP WRITING THAT COMMENT SAYING I AM WRONG AND THAT THIS IS STUPID, FOR ALL YOU KNOW YOUR WRONG SO STOP CRITISIZING! PLEASE!

BothEyesShut @botheyesshut

Hello fellow Whovians on the sofa!

(Hope this is a proper spot for this question)

I’m living in Long Beach, CA through the holidays and desperately want to watch the upcoming Christmas special online with my wife and daughter. I haven’t been able to locate information regarding whether this is possible, where it might be possible, and when it might happen Pacific Standard Time.

I don’t want to have to wait until after it’s over!

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, please? I had nowhere else to turn.

-Sean

@botheyesshut, Greetings, glad to hear even Long Beach has its issues (sorry, slightly jealous in cold, damp Scotland)!

Saw this article over at Kasterborous.com: http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/12/can-catch-last-christmas-um-christmas/

Seems to include US times. Hope that is helpful and a very Merry Christmas to you!

BothEyesShut @botheyesshut

Ah, thank you Ms. Barbara!

With the help of your link I managed to figure out a method.

BBC One has a live stream through their player found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone.

The player does not work outside the UK, though! Happily, I use a VPN network here and the VPN has a server in London, so I reconnected through there, and voila! Seems I can stream it no problem. Additionally, it will show at 10am Christmas morning here, so I’ll be ahead of my friends by almost 12 hours, ha ha! Coolest kid in town!

Sad to say Southern California isn’t any sunnier than Glasgow at the moment:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-storms-20141215-story.html

Cheers from the windy beach, and thanks again!

-S

@botheyesshut, well glad to be of (limited) assistance, that all sounds highly… technical…

Hope it works and enjoy! Also hope the weather improves; honestly, I’ll take a bit of rain over what you’re getting!!

Anonymous @

@barbaralefty  no, no rain.  OK. Rain, but not storms with brick- like hail. It seems Oz isn’t the only place.  I like your new avatar!

janetteB @janetteb

@botheyesshut I am glad that you will be the coolest kid in town, along with wife and kid of course. 🙂  (my emoticons are rather like my son’s internet responses when he was four. All he could type was “hello”, so someone in the game would be saying, “you are about to be attacked by orcs” and in response he would type “hello”. ) Oh and welcome to the forum.

@barbaralefty Great new avatar. (I liked the old one too.)

@Purofilion. You comment apparantly sparked a shower here though oddly enough the sun is still shining but there are huge splats of rain on our tiles. Unfortunately though dramatic, it won’t suffice for the garden.

Cheers

Janette

AJTD1 @ajtd1

Hello!

I am new here, and I have a question about an old episode of Dr. Who (I’m not an expert, by any means!).  Can anyone tell me the name of the episode where Dr. Who lands on a planet where all the people are mathematicians who have to keep oin ceaselessly counting, or the Universe will end?  Thanks, I’d really like to know!

Regards,

AJTD1

Puyallup, Washington State, U.S.A.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,014 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (6)’ is closed to new replies.