S33 (7) 8 – The Rings of Akhaten

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S33 (7) 8 – The Rings of Akhaten

This topic contains 330 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  gallifrey.governess 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 331 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@ardaraith – “have the Daleks converted the Doctor?”

Well, there was that very interesting shot of a Dalek moving into a room with Matt Smith’s voice-over in that episode.  I’ve always thought that was simply a foretelling of Oswin Oswald actually being revealed as a Dalek later on.  But … how delicious if The Grandfather from Akhetan actually *did* take everything from The Doctor and his ‘soul’ (thoughts/memories) were implanted into a Dalek.

So, could Tennant’s 10 be fighting a Dalek (in the 50th), and somehow have been given prior knowledge that what he is fighting is his own future self?

Whisht @whisht

Hi @ardaraith – there’s a whole board on AOTD!

But not sure if we’ve had anyone talking about the Dr getting nanoed into a Dalek (though I did wonder that as well… but just forgot!).

btw can I just say its brilliant having all the new voices!
    Excellent posts and just as bonkers as all the others!

Where’s @blenkinsopthebrave gone? It was he who asked for “bonkers” theories and there’s loads now!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@ardaraith

This space didn’t exist until @craig miraculously set it up as The Guardian blog for The Snowmen was about to close, so all our speculations on AOTD are back there – Craig links to them in our space on the front page here for that episode.

Yes, there was much discussion at the time about whether or not the Doctor could have been “dalekised” and it continued into subsequent episodes because some of his actions in those episodes seemed a bit off. He let Solomon die rather than being merciful (arguably) in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and he also seemed unforgiving initially in A Town Called Mercy of Jex (although – over-identification much).

However, it’s great that you bring it up again, because I rather think it got forgotten amidst all the perfectly understandable emotion of saying goodbye to the Ponds in which the Doctor seemed fully emotionally engaged (ergo not very “dalekised” at all). However, if there is one thing which could lead to “dark doppleganger Doctor” it would, of course, be his “dalekisation” – so, brilliant! Maybe we need to re-add this into the mix…

Anonymous @

@Whisht – “I did wonder that as well… but just forgot!).”

Oh Lordy, the Silence have got to @whisht.  Anyone near him/hear, DON’T BLINK.  And don’t look away.

Whisht @whisht

hello?

hello? hello @Shazzbot can you hear me?

I don’t know where I am….

Whisht @whisht

ah, so much to read (thanks all!) but late shout out to @phileasf and @jimthefish – Smith reading the Beano as a nod to Cushing reading the Eagle in the film.

Its probably all it was (a knowing wink to the film) but really – the Eagle and certainly Dan Dare got subsumed into 2000AD, so the good (or bad) doctor shoulda been reading the 1981 200AD annual.

I mean, there’s even an Alan Moore connection!

;¬)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Just popping in to say hello to new people. Splendid to see you. I hope to be back home tomorrow, so I will have more time to add to the general theorising.

@juniperfish and @htpbdet

Speculation about the Master being Susan’s father? Behave! My avatar doesn’t need a visit from the CCSA (Celestial Child Support Agency). 🙂

@juniperfish

Just loving the Osiris parallels. Haven’t been so excited since we decided the Doctor was Odin.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

I have had that Gin & Tonic and now feel stupid again…

Perhaps the TARDIS did lock Clara out – because she knows she is Susan and expects her to have her own key. Susan dropped her key after the TARDIS dematerialised in Dalek Invasion of Earth….

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift THERE YOU ARE <shouts in crazed excitement> 🙂

I have been chewing my arm off waiting for you to do the dance of Egyptian mythology delight with me – because I knew you would want to!

How cool is that! And you caught the first inkling of it with your sycamore leaf… so a twirl of the sonic for you.

I am particularly excited because of the Isis tricking Ra into telling her his real name parallel and the fact that one of Osiris’s names is “Lord of Silence”.  OMG.

Safe journey home 🙂

@htpbdet – ah, nice extra TARDIS key deduction – I think you mean “clever” not “stupid” !

Anonymous @

@Juniperfish – ‘I am particularly excited because of the Isis tricking Ra into telling her his real name parallel and the fact that one of Osiris’s names is “Lord of Silence”.’

I’ve been reading these Egyptian mythology theories and have been amazed at the erudition of the participants here.  Who needs an expensive education when one can glean more meaningful knowledge from The Doctor Who Forum (?!).

There is no way that Stephen Moffat didn’t amalgamate this into some sort of background spice even if it isn’t – and it surely may well be – a foreground plotline.  But as I’ve argued before, it could just be one of the clever-clever ways to engage the serious fans whilst not losing the people who don’t know Egyptian mythology / who don’t know this website!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I’ll just add my thoughts on Clara’s reaction to the TARDIS.

Back on the Snowman blog I suggested that Clara was perhaps a latent telepath, which the history of the show has always suggested is a possibility in humans. She may not be aware of this but her access to the Dalek telepathic pathweb, and her curious intuitive grasp of who the Doctor is, navigating the one word test, and the extreme reaction of the telepathic snow to her made me think she may be.

In this episode, maybe that scene is there to merely indicate that she senses some hostility or suspicion by being aware of the telepathic field that the Tardis emits? It leaves plenty of room for interpretation, but perhaps the suspicion she feels is being reflected by the TARDIS from the Doctor.

Victoria Clara passed a number of tests in that episode, the final being deducing the purpose of the umbrella on the rooftop. After that he declares “I don’t know the why – just the who” before presenting her with her key. She seemed to get unexpectedly emotional by that. He has not given modern Clara a key yet, and perhaps she hasn’t passed his tests? But by passing the tests, and making her demonstrate more Victorian Clara traits does that inevitably lead to an event that will turn an ordinary girl into past and future versions.

It’s interesting that AoTD featured an explanation of those personality traits the Daleks removed when creating a Dalek, and BoStJ featured a technology that could immediately alter a persons personality. In SMs twisted mirror universe is this another parable of the delights and dangers when the Doctor changes people?

Hmmmm. I think I need some of @htpbdet s G&T,

Anonymous @

@ PhaseShift– “AoTD featured an explanation of those personality traits the Daleks removed when creating a Dalek”

It was quite chilling when that Dalek-ised mother (the one who originally lured 11 to Skaros) said … what did she say again? ‘I know, I killed them [her children]’ ( ? ).

Definitely reinforcing the theme of (lost) motherhood in this half-series.

But in your theory, what personality trait(s) did the Daleks remove from Oswin Oswald?  She seemed to be quite replete with gloriously human traits.

Whisht @whisht

in terms of the Tardis locking out Clara, I think the Tardis may have previous with disliking companions who are (or create) time paradoxes (eg Sam Jones, Charley Pollard, Mila??)?

btw loving the numbers theories. All bonkers, except all the ones that aren’t, which is a lot of them! (for me @bluesqueakpip nailed the Clara-is-the-show through crunchy numbers).

So – I’ve now given up on anagrams (had such high hopes with such an unlikely name as “Clara Oswin Oswald”).

all I really got was:
    “DW now L; CALs OS Aria” – [CAL is the hard drive – Aria the OS? Clara the virtual “daughter” or mother?? of River, ‘born’ or nurturing in CAL].
    However, my hunch is she’s actually a new character and not familial at all.

though if its:
    “DW saw CIA so ran, lol” – then I’ll bake everyone a cake!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@shazzbot

Indeed, that’s another point. By force of will Clara seemed to resist her Dalek processing, which may indicate mental powers (her “dream” bunker the keep out the monsters being a representation of her mental shield, perhaps).

According to Oswin “Do you know how you make someone into a Dalek? Subtract love, add anger.”

@juniperfish

I shall be back tomorrow for fun, frolics and Egyptian dancing!

WhoHar @whohar

Lots of great ideas on here and a particular welcome to the new additions. We’ll be rivalling the Guardian soon.

Moffat has said in the past that continuity is impossible in DW but I wonder if he’ll take up the challenge and try to correct all the anomalies via the (already mentioned) reboot. Certainly Doc 8’s half human origins have not been discussed in show (IIRC). HTPBDET’s mini-treatment seems to point a way out of that problem.

All the numbers and Egyptian references are delightful but I think are only texture.

And the Tardis’s noise when Clara tried to get in. I’d initially though this was displeasure but now I’m not so sure. It seemed similar to the noise the Tardis makes when it is in trouble. Is Clara a threat?
    Alternatively maybe Old Sexy really likes Clara. Tardis Fangasm anyone? Anyone? Hello, heeeellooo….

BESD1 @besd1

Just thought I’d pop over here from the Guardian as it seems much more fun (I think it was that John Donne deduction from @haveyoufedthefish last week that really did it for me). Just out of interest, I don’t know if this has already been mentioned or if it is relevant (although given the Susan and grandfather references this week, and last weeks title, I think it is) but am I right in thinking that this is the first doctor since William Hartnell who’s Tardis door featured the St John’s ambulance sign? Checking a few pictures on-line I think he might be.

Anonymous @

@htpbdet — I don’t think it’s been officially confirmed yet as far as I can see. The first announcements seemed to suggest a 60min episode but there’s now talk of it being 90mins or possibly two 60min episodes. They’re being surprisingly shoosh about it. My personal theory is that they thought they’d get away with 60mins and then when there were grumbles they started being a bit cagey about it.

But don’t get me started on how essentially underwhelming the anniversary year seems to be shaping up…

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish Maybe it’s 3 film-length epis in November to make up for lack of series 8! (We can wish really really hard!)

Further thought on Clara as the programme (all hail to @bluesqueakpip) – in Asylum she keeps out the daleks with her willpower, but another way of looking at it is that she does it by creating stories for herself – ie much like the programme does for us, the viewers – creates a world of stories for us to dive into to avoid the real life daleks for a while. (I’m not proposing this as a plot point btw, but it adds amazing texture)

@besd1 I think you might be right about the sign on the Tardis door – it rings a bell re something I read ages ago about Tardis designs, no idea wherre though! (Welcome to the forum btw)

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish re 60 mins, maybe 90 mins – maybe Moff’s just found he’s got FAR too much to squeeze into 60mins 😉

Bonkers theory re innovations for 50th – they’ve discovered a way to really make the show “bigger on the inside”.  There will be a real-life Time Condenser included in the programme – option to click the red button which will take the viewer into a time-expanded Who-universe which includes hours of additional story 🙂 (Casual viewers can stick with the regulation 60 mins)

Anonymous @

@scaryb — I like your thinking. I vote you as next DG of the Beeb….

ScaryB @scaryb

@ardaraith @juniperfish @whisht

<Jumping up and down at the official reinstatement of *my* dalekised Doctor theory>

@phaseshift – Re Clara – you’re right re the “I don’t know why, I only know who”   Yet he doesn’t seem to have the same impulse with this Clara – he’s being very wary. he asks the Tardis who she is and the Tardis screen shows the 3 versions we’ve met so far (and if @bluesqueakpip is right there aren’t any more). (Would we say she’s about 7 when he first meets her btw (the prequel at the swings)? ie in series 7…)

And LOVE all the Egyptian refs, brilliantly worked out

ardaraith @ardaraith

@besd1 – you are right!  This is the first TARDIS since the 63 version to feature the St. John Ambulance…  He’s a Doctor?  Receives calls for help?  returning to his roots?

http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/tardis/exterior/2010-tardis/

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb – ah it was your “dalekised Doctor” theory – go you! Great theory 🙂

@besd1 – Welcome and nice spot on the St John Ambulance. But is that on every version of the new TARDIS we’ve seen or just visible at the Rings of Akhaten? If the latter it lends credence to Doctor One being there at the same time as Doctor Eleven as suggested by @htpbdet.

I’m overall very excited about “dark Doctor doppleganger” at present and I like the idea that @bluesqueakpip posited that maybe the Doctor is in the process of splintering (which, you guessed it, ties in with the scattering of the body parts of Osiris).

WhoHar @whohar

Wasn’t Moffat behind the return of the St John’s logo on the Tardis? If so maybe he’s been playing the long game all this time.

It has been there for all of Smith’s tenure (eleven-ure?) I think.

nekko @nekko

so I watched Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead last night and here’s a few thoughts to add to the pot:

We see the Library datacore in a few brief shots — it looks exactly like the Old God — a big swirly ball of gaseous red-orange fire and flame. It also serves a similar function by storing immense amounts of memories and stories. Perhaps sometime far in the future it expands to star size and engulfs the Library — all its content and the Vashta Nerada too — thereby becoming the Old God. And perhaps all that is left of the Library is the Tiaanamat asteroid and pyramid.

Also, in the datacore Donna has two children — one named Ella — to which River becomes nanny for along with CAL. I’m back on the track of thinking that the Claras may be manifestations of the Library (and/or CAL) with pieces of River inside. And wouldn’t it be interesting if Ella, er Ellie, turned out to be Clara’s mom? That would make Donna be Clara’s grandmother. Given the amount of snogging and flirting, I think it’s unlikely that the Clara is the Doctor’s mom or granddaughter.

And lastly, where was the most famous library of them all? Alexandria, Egypt. — which was consumed by fire

Lula @lula

For the past three years I’ve read that it was Moffat’s decision to return the Saint John’s logo on the Tardis door.

And along this same topic:  the monastery in The Rebel Flesh/The Almost people was named Saint John’s.  The episode also opened with Muse’s “Supermassive Black Hole,” followed closely by the sounds of Dusty Springfield’s “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me.”  Rare that two modern, popular songs were used in one episode, but as a foreshadowing tool it was a pretty brilliant choice.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

Hmmm…

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there will be no mention of anything Egyptology related in Cold War…

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@nekko loving the Library at Alexandria connection!

On the theme of splintering, it has been previously suggested that the “Papal Mainframe” from A Good Man Goes to War could also be a “gone wrong” version of CAL or the Library in the future.

@lula Oh nice catch on the name of the Almost People monastery as St. Johns – more fuel to the fire that “dark doppleganger Doctor” is ganger Doctor perhaps given @haveyoufedthefish ‘s still brilliant “it tolls for thee” connection, i.e. could this be where it all went wrong?

But again, with the splintering…

Perhaps three universes have collided, not two. Perhaps Van Gough’s painting is of three colliding TARDISes not two.

I think @Bluepipsqueak suggested a tripleganger. So, maybe Clara is splintered in three as a result and she “mirrors” the Doctor, or rather, her fate does. In two universes she dies, but in one she doesn’t?

In one universe she is “dalekised”, so in one universe that is what is happening to the Doctor. In another universe she is living a double life (as governess and bar-maid) which might stand in for her being the mirror of the “dark ganger Doctor” universe. And in one universe she’s just herself i.e. our “always ok” Doctor?

@htpbdet Bet as many limbs as you like. I think you’re probably right. There haven’t been Egyptology references in every episode, just a drip of them every now and again. I’m still thrilled about River and the Doctor’s wedding being ontop of one.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

just a drip of them every now and again

Well, we’ll certainly have drips in Cold War!

thommck @thommck

@nekko Great theory. Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for reminding me of Donna’s fate. She was my favourite companion and Doctor Donna is another case of duplication! Would love to see her come back again.

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@besd1 – you are most welcome! So glad we could tempt you over to the dark side (mwah ha haha ha ha ha – cue most ott classic who villain laugh)

I think you are absolutely right about the st johns logo only recently reappearing … If you were cynical you might think the “bells of …” title meant something else entirely and they just reinstated the logo to make it fit… :-O

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@jimthfish @scaryb – I’m going to guess at 2 45 min episodes over consecutive Saturday’s (I had some numerology magic in a post way back to support that idea) and they’ll be combined into a 90 min overseas and limited uk cinema release.

The 2 different time formats may partly explain confusion at t’ rumour mill (in best northern accent)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

<Waves at everyone>

@bluesqueakpip – Ho hum, yes Robert Graves and The White Goddess. Not a fan of his “maiden, mother, crone” version of divine femininity but he was writing in his time. He was influenced by Frazer’s The Golden Bough and Frazer collected myths about vegetation gods/ gods dying and reborn to demonstrate the pagan roots of Christianity. Graves’ Holly King/ Oak King duality is his take on much older vegetation god myths, like that <cue probably annoying by now> of Osiris 🙂

I definitely think you’re right and Amy Williams novel “Summer Falls” provides us with more evidence for Moffat’s “sacrificed god” theme, as vegetation deities were cut down at the end of summer (the fall of summer) sometimes, perhaps, accompanied by human sacrifice. Apparently there’s evidence human sacrifices may have been chucked into the Nile during its summer flooding period to propitiate the river into ebbing again.

I’ve discovered that in The Book of the Dead there are seven gates for the dead to pass through before they reach Osiris – seven gates and seven rings of Akhaten? Coincidence? I think not! 🙂

Incidentally the Sun God Ra is sometimes fused with Osiris and sometimes they are treated as separate entities – cue dopplegangers.

So what might the eighth ring represent? Clara’s ring in other words?

Well once a soul passed through all seven gates it would reach the place of judgement and there the heart would be weighed on the scales of Thoth. In other words, the eighth ring could be said to represent the time of reckoning, crunch time, judgement day, the time when the Doctor will be called to account and his hearts weighed on the scales.

@juniperfish – we can join hands and fins in our not being exactly a fan of Graves, then. 🙂 What I would say is that if Moffat’s including Easter, British pre-Christian mythology (Stonehenge?), and Egyptian, the signal is that he’s playing mix and match with the myths.

Which, within the show’s mythology, is entirely reasonable. Within the show, these myths may have come from the story now playing out in front of us. Or, they may have come from the previous cycle. The Doctor is repeating a cycle he’s (she’s?) done many times before. Like Clara, he can only remember his own life. Like Clara, he appears to have been born normally, had a perfectly normal childhood, graduated from the Academy.

Anyone spot that one of the photos of Clara was her celebrating at her degree ceremony? Incidentally, she appears to be a BA of the University of London, which explains why she’s now living there. But it’s strongly reminiscent of the Doctor being well known as a graduate of the Academy, with tutors and friends who knew him there.

In-story, that may be one of the purposes of Clara – to emphasise that a person who repeats through time may re-start as a baby. And have memories of a perfectly normal life.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@bluesqueakpip Yes, myth and match or myth and mix 🙂

The Doctor is repeating a cycle he’s (she’s?) done many times before

Yes, I suspect that may be the idea. I’m not sure how I feel about it really. In one sense, the Doctor is a Prometheus figure, and I’m abidingly fond of Prometheus. On the other hand I don’t really want him to be some “Great Old One”, “Grandfather Time” himself or Shiva-Shakhti, the creator and destroyer, or the One Who is Eternally Sacrificed, or whatever. Even if he forgets again what he is, we will remember, which changes our perception of him forever, doesn’t it.

Still, Moff may keep all the “god-stuff” below the surface for mythology nerds to play with if they want and just have a good old Master/ Doctor show-down or a good old Dark Doctor/ Our Doctor show-down or some-such on the surface.

Looking forward to it.

@juniperfish

I suspect that – even if characters speculate on-screen – all the viewer will know is that our Doctor has started a new cycle. That is, the original mystery of the character will be restored; after 50 years of learning everything about him except his name, we discover that this was only one life of many. Who is he really? We won’t know. All we know is what we’ve seen on screen.

Though personally, I’d reckon the Master’s a better fit for the destroyer aspect of Shiva – he’s certainly the one we’ve seen dancing; the Doctor famously can’t.

nekko @nekko

Wasn’t Thoth also the Egyptian Lord of Time? I’ve forgotten a lot of the mythology I used to know, but wikipedia tells me Thoth is also associated with knowledge, scribes, and writing — and the moon.

Maybe Doctor Moon? Circling the Old God Library?

Clearly I can’t let go of the Library connection — so I may as well take another step beyond into absurdity.

Clara Os(wald)

wald means Forest

Os can mean bone, or mouth, or — God in Old English

Is Clara the God (or mouth) of the Forest/Library and all it contains?

And River knew the Doctor’s name — which implies the Library must too.

Clara’s Mum did tell her that if she (Clara) went to the moon, she’d still find her.

However, if this is all the product of the Library, it’d suggest the Doctor’s body has been physically destroyed and he’s currently only existing in CAL’s virtual reality. Which would in turn suggest that the bonkers theory that he’s remembering all this is the right one.

Tiddler @tiddler

Bit late to the conversation (couldn’t get logged in last night), but I watched Eleventh Hour again to check out if the St John’s logo was introduced along with Matt Smith – it isn’t on the Tardis that crashes in Amelia’s garden, it appears on the redesigned one at the end (and on the version in the opening credits).

@tiddler – which one at the end? Is it on the TARDIS when he takes the test flight, or does it first appear when he comes back two years later?

Tiddler @tiddler

@bluesqueakpip – the test flight one, when he opens it up after the redesign and calls it “you sexy thing!”.

thedoctordude @thedoctordude

Its interesting on the first page of the book we see that Ellie (clara’s mom) was 11 when she got the book. Also of note, Ellie’s maiden name was Ravenwood; perhaps another reference to trees/paper/wood.

I think the man standing next to Clara in the grave scene will turn out to be somebody. It would have been as easy to have her standing there by herself yet they chose to put him there.

Probably just a bonkers theory, but we don’t seem to be able to see where Clara’s mom comes from when she saves the dad. What if she just somehow appeared or something?

Also, that scene seems quite similar to the how rose’s dad died, even the same colored car. I wonder if they are somehow related?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@tiddler sorry you couldn’t log in last night. Neither could I. As I’ve posted on the website comments forum it turns out there was a massive, world-wide, brute force hacking attack yesterday on just about every WordPress-based website (this is one). But we’re back, and hopefully it won’t happen again 😀

I think the man standing next to Clara in the grave scene will turn out to be somebody. It would have been as easy to have her standing there by herself yet they chose to put him there

Hi, @thedoctordude It’s her (older) dad, I think.

I agree re: Clara’s mother. While they obviously couldn’t (eight years later) get exactly the same car that knocked Pete Tyler down, it’s the same type and colour of car. Which suggests her Dad was supposed to die in ‘freak leaf accident’ (the song is ‘Ghost Town’) – and her mother stopped that happening.

Which yells ‘Time Lord interference’ to me. Possibly she may be chameleon arched, or possibly the Doctor will later bring Ellie Ravenwood to the right place and time to save her future husband.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thedoctordude The man next to Clara at the grave is her Dad, it’s just slightly poor ‘old man’ make-up. He looks totally different, but he does have those same dodgy eyebrows. So he is definitely ‘somebody’ for her.

I’ve wondered before whether Clara just appears in a time (a bit like The Doctor) – which is why this episode showing her grow up was interesting – but I hadn’t thought maybe her mother did the same. Cheers.

Whisht @whisht

Ellie….. LE…… Ravenwwood…. Torchwood…. Oswald…. god-wood…. goodwood/badwood…

dammit – I could never do cryptic crossowrds.

or spell

Tiddler @tiddler

@craig – no criticism of the site intended, we all appreciate you spending your valuable spare time running it. It’s  just  a shame the Internet seems to attract so many destructive, as well as creative, people.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@tiddler I didn’t take it as criticism, just an observation. And thanks but no worries, is my pleasure. And I totally agree with you. You try to do something that people enjoy and as soon as you do, it comes under attack. But what can you do? Luckily, as much as there are bad guys, there are just as many people out there who give up their spare time to build plug-ins or write code-fixes to keep them out. We just have to hope they’re smarter than those who’ve joined the dark side.

lesaubiers @lesaubiers

I liked the episode

Re. Claras mammy, “I will always come and find you, every single time, every single time”

I think she must know that Clara will be scattered across different times, and she’s promising that time won’t keep her from finding her…maybe

WhoHar @whohar

@whisht

Ravenwood is am interesting choice of name. I did wonder if they were referencing Edgar Allan Poe. Look out for cries of Nevermore in the next few eps.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 331 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.