Companions past and present

Home Forums General Companions past and present

This topic contains 920 replies, has 131 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 921 total)
  • Author
    janetteB @janetteb

@mccottonthedoctorfan I have not listened to any of the sixth doctor Big Finish stories but you have really sparked my interest. I really like the sound of an older, history professor as companion.
    cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

@mccottonthedoctorf:

Thanks for that.

Missy

McCotton @mccottonthedoctorfan

@missy and @janetteb If you got into Doctor Who through the new series, then I suggest the Six and Evelyn story, “Jubilee.”  When Russell T. Davies started New Who, he recruited Jubilee’s writer Robert Shearman.  Shearman changed and adapted Jubilee into the episode “Dalek.”

The premise is the same: the Doctor finds himself in the presence of a madman in a position of power and learns he has acquired the last Dalek in existence.  However, aside from that base premise, the two stories are VASTLY different

Missy @missy

@mccottonthedoctorf;

Thanks again. *thumbs up*

Missy

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

Songs that should have been written for companions, but weren’t…

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

RorySmith @rorysmith

Dalek is a fantastic episode. The story arc is amazing when it’s revealed in series 3.

mjr1107 @michjarv

Don’t know if this is supposed to be here but does this mean Pearl is out of a job?

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41716877

@michjarv Pearl said she was leaving the show after series 10 was done.  She’s technically already made her exit in the finale.  But she is coming back in the Christmas special.

mjr1107 @michjarv

@mccottonthedoctorfan Aww, this was my 1st season of watching the show and I just thought Pearl and her Bill character was just fabulous

ichabod @ichabod

@mjr1107  Me too; I liked her very much, and I’ll miss her — pretty good, considering she was only on board for one series.

Missy @missy

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”><span class=”useratname”>@toinfinityandbepond:</span></div>
    <div>Lovely Rose, thanks for the video.</div>
    <div>I too liked Bill, perfect with PC.</div>
    <div>@michjarv:</div>
    <div>Thanks for the info. Gawd I’m not loking forward to series 11. It isn’t Doctor Who anymore for me.</div>
    <div>Missy</div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”></div>

mjr1107 @michjarv

@missy Why?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@missy

You never can tell until you’ve seen the new Doctor (in more than one scene).

I was really looking forward to Peter Capaldi’s run – and yet somehow (for me) he never got beyond being some Time Lord who called himself The Doctor. Yet John Hurt was (again, for me) effortlessly ‘The Doctor’ in his single TV appearance. Weird. And I know a lot of people were NOT looking forward to Matt Smith.

Just keep gritting your teeth and muttering ‘this is an experiment – for the Doctor and for the audience.’ 🙂

Oh, and a good companion really helps.

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:

You are, of course, quite right in theory.

Unfortuantely I feel that shall never come to terms with a female Doctor, and wonder just how many Whovians truly *like* the idea, or aren’t outspoken enough to say that they don’t.

Jodie Whittaker is an average actress at best – in my opinion – I have not liked her in anything I have seen her in. There are two problems straight away, for me at least.

Naturally I shall watch the first two episodes, or how can I give an opinion.

As for Peter Capaldi never quite making it for you, I must disagree, he was best so far, and the writing, in most cases, superb. As River says, He was MY Doctor.

For me, the original idea of Doctor who, has been turned upside down.

As for a good companion helping, true, but then Peter Capaldi didn’t need one in Heaven Sent did he.

Missy

@missy

wonder just how many Whovians truly *like* the idea, or aren’t outspoken enough to say that they don’t.

I think many Whovians – even if they don’t like the idea – are willing to see it as an experiment. Gender-switching the Master to Missy worked magnificently; so time to try the same with the Doctor. Will it work? Well, until we try it we can’t know.

I have not liked her in anything I have seen her in.

I have loved Peter Capaldi in almost everything I’ve seen him in. He is a very fine actor. The one exception is his Doctor. I have no idea why his Doctor somehow doesn’t hit whatever makes ‘The Doctor’ in my head, but it doesn’t. Which is why I mentioned it; whether you like an actor or not is no real guide to whether they’ll be a good Doctor.

Peter Capaldi didn’t need one in Heaven Sent did he.

I hated Heaven Sent. Words cannot express how awful it is to have a Doctor that I didn’t like as the sole character for an entire bloody episode. It was dreadful. Agonising. I only watched it (a week late) because online chatter made me realise I’d missed a lot of plot points.

For me, I mean. I understand that the script and acting were excellent – but yeah, for me it would’ve been one heck of a lot better with even a temporary companion. That’s what I mean: if you don’t like the Doctor, a good Companion or two really, really helps.

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip Agreed however bad companions can really overshadow the Doctor as in the Davison years and Peri certainly didn’t compliment Colin Baker. However a good companion/s is essential to balance the character of the Doctor. Much though I adored Tom Baker I was very glad that they did not let him have his way and go solo. Though Nardole did not play a large role I really liked the relationship between he, Bill and the Doctor. In the end though the success or failure of any Tardis team depends upon the vision and ability of the show runner,so we can only hope that Chibnell gets the character dynamic right, and all else will follow on from there.
    Cheers
    Janette

@janetteb I actually like Peri.  I recently did a list of my top 10 favorite companions.  Peri made number 9.  But difference, I can respect that.

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:

I hated Heaven Sent. Words cannot express how awful it is to have a Doctor that I didn’t like as the sole character for an entire bloody episode. It was dreadful. Agonising. I only watched it (a week late) because online chatter made me realise I’d missed a lot of plot points.

Well, there you are, I rest my case. You can’t help how you feel can you.

@janetteb:

We only only hope.  As I’ve already wondered, will we be hearing Murray Gold’s music? Or has he jumped shop too.

If he has I can’t blame him.

Obdurate aren’t I.  Just me being honest about the way I feel.

Missy

@missy

Well, there you are, I rest my case. You can’t help how you feel can you.

Except my feelings are based on a programme I’ve seen; your feelings are based on a programme you haven’t seen yet.

I rest my case.

Julie @pocket-timelady7

I believe that it depends on the role, and the writing. Someone could be an incredible actor/actress but be limited by things out of their control (the writing, the actors/actresses don’t write the episodes). I am incredibly excited for Jodie as the 13th Doctor. I don’t want to ‘go there’, but it appears that a good majority of the people who absolutely hate the idea of a Time Lady in place of a Time Lord for the Doctor simply can’t stand the idea of having a strong female lead in a popular show (I can’t get my head around why that would be a problem, but I’m trying to see it from different angles). At first I hadn’t liked Bill because I’d grown so attached to Clara, but I gave Bill a chance, and I LOVE her, didn’t take long at all for me to really like her. I’m currently on 10×10 so I am not completely caught up yet but I am aware that she left and is returning for the Christmas special (which I’m thinking of going to go see in the nearest cinema, I’m excited). I didn’t think I’d like Peter Capaldi’s Doctor, but I gave him a chance, and I love him. David Tennant will always be my Doctor (Eccleston was my first, but Tennant made it stick), but I love my “angry owl Doctor”. I would’ve missed out on SO MUCH if I wouldn’t have given him a chance!

I understand that the Master/Missy isn’t necessarily a companion, but there’s something I have to ask, and I had no idea where to ask it. I haven’t watched a whole lot of Doctor Who prior to 2005 (that’s something I am working on, I’m trying to find a good source, please consider not feeding me to the Vashta Nerada for that), and I was wondering about the Time War, and The Master. Which actor portrayed the Master (I’m aware of Anthony Ainley, 1981-89, but I don’t know if he’s the Time War Master or if that’s Eric Roberts, in 1996) during the Time War (if he was there at all)?

janetteB @janetteb

hi @pocket-timelady7 Master was not involved in the Time War, on screen as yet anyway. The first, and many viewers favourite Doctor, was played by Roger Delgado. You will need to go all the way back to the Pertwee days to see him. Sadly he was killed in a road accident in Turkey.

I think at the moment there is the usual sense of loosing a friend as one actor bows out of the role, and the normal apprehension about how well the next actor will suit, with additional tension because the show runner is also departing which for some fans is exacerbated by difficulty in accepting the change in gender. There is certainly an element of fans (or not) who object to seeing a strong woman lead but there have been plenty of shows which have strong female leads so I think/hope that only a small minority object on those grounds and that most of those who currently have misgivings will be willing to “give Jodie a chance” and fingers crossed all will be well.

Cheers
    Janette

@janetteb and @pocket-timelady7

Big Finish Audio are bringing out The War Master in December – it’s being voiced by Sir Derek Jacobi, so it’s probably semi-canon that the Master during at least part of the Time War was Derek Jacobi’s Master.

I’m sure he’s delighted to get another go on audio, given that he had about five minutes on TV to actually play the Master. 🙂

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:   Except my feelings are based on a programme I’ve seen; your feelings are based on a programme you haven’t seen yet.

I rest my case.

No, but I have seen this actress at work.

However, we shall never see eye to eye, and whoever is right or wrong, we should both rest our cases.

Missy

sequinz @sequinz
    Shamie @shamie

I see a copy of the Katy Manning edition of Girl Illustrated has just appeared on eBay. Girl Illustrated was an Australian ‘glamour’ magazine and Katy gave an interview and posed for a number of photos (famously with a dalek). She said in a later Radio Times interview, “I’ve been a very naughty girl!”

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@pocket-timelady7 Hi Julie, I just have to say that I agree with you on the new up coming doctor. For the first time since I started watching Doctor Who, I’m not worry about the new doctor, I’m sure she will be great. And I agree with you that the actor can’t be hold responsible and can be limited by things out of their control, such as writing. I can’t wait to see number 13th but I have to mention that for a long time I was against a female doctor. I always said if one came along I would give her a chance (I’ve learn my lesson after I stop watching when number nine left) but I didn’t care for the idea. This was because I saw the whole situation just being based on gender. I wanted the doctor to remain a male because I didn’t want gender to become what people focused on. When I heard people wanting a female doctor, it just seemed like I thought “Why does the doctor HAVE to be female, what’s wrong with being a male.” Than when Jodie was announce I heard a lot of people mentioning a male companion to go along with her, and all I could think was “Why does the companion HAVE to be male, there’s nothing wrong with being female.” I think I just didn’t want the gender of anyone to be affected because of the gender of others, whether that be the doctors that came before or who the doctor was going to become. It was actually Clara that changed my mind, when she pretended to be called The Doctor in The Flatline. It was than that I realized that this can be more than just gender, and The Doctor can be a girl and go on the same adventures as before without people just thinking of her as a girl. Oh, I miss Clara and now I’m going to miss Bill. I’m not caught up on season 10, I couldn’t find the episodes online on a good site, but I’ve fallen in love with Bill and I wish she (and the twelfth doctor) had one more season. However, I was really scared when Peter became The Doctor and now he’s my favorite, and I’m going to be crying on Christmas. But I’m still not worry about Jodie, I can’t wait to see her and see what the new head-writer brings to the show. It was great to read your post and I hope you understand where I was coming from with my thoughts about a female doctor.

Missy @missy

@gamergirlavatar:

Well good for you.

I am against a Female doctor, it’s always been a MALE, so why change. Political correctness naturally.

But as I’ve posted before, I shall watch the first two episodes, and if i don’t like them I shan’t watch the rest.

The thing is, apart from the above, I have never liked Jodie W, so, for me a double whammy!

Not everyone wanted a female by the way.

Still, Hello and welcome. lovely bunch of people on this forum.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@gamergirlavatar  I’m a lot more nervous about Chibnall than I am about Whittaker, myself, but that’s because Moffat is the kind of writer whose work I enjoy — for its energy, its daring, and its intelligence — and I’ve found what I’ve seen of Chibnall’s work flatfooted and draggy.  But maybe the DW challenge will bring out some spark in him that will make me appreciate him more.

@missy  True, not everyone wanted a female Doctor — but I think the show *did* need a solid blast-off in some new directions after so much of Moffat (who said in an interview about leaving the show, “I’ve written a ridiculous amount of Doctor Who”, and apparently really meant it).  What better way than to go for a *different* kind of audacity from his successor, which is what I think Whittaker represents.  I’m very curious to see how it goes.  In a way, I think it’s a good and healthy sign that in times as edgy and tumultuous as these, DW is going through its own ructions and must tackle the challenges of new conditions and territory to engage with.

Personally, I think we’re way beyond considerations of the negative interpretation of “political correctness” here (and the positive ones — like, arrest the Johns along with or instead of the prostitutes — as well).  We as a species face existential threats not seen before, in the unintended and dangerous consequences of Globalization of the economy + massive climate shifting which will require enormous, damned uncomfortable, and costly shifts in how we cope.  New and risky ideas are going to be tried (and some dangerous Reactionary ones, like the revival of Robber Barons and Nazism), and we’ll be making our way among them for a while.  The new-minted 13th Doctor fits the revolutionary times we live in now, like ’em or not, IMO.

janetteB @janetteb

@ichabod you have pretty much summed it up there. Within the “narrative” there is no reason for the Doctor not to be female. It has long been established that regeneration is “a bit of a lottery”. Given that concepts of gender are less fixed now than in the past and in the future will become far more fluid there is every reason for the show to reflect that. Through it’s long history Dr Who has never been shy to tackle social and political issues. Though those older series may look conservative to us now they were far less so in their time.
    Cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

I too think that Steven Moffat did the right thing if he felt that he was becoming stale, but like you I’m not keen on Mr. Chibnall. However, he won’t be writing all the episodes, so there is hope. But JW? Three companions?

What with that outfit and three companions, it feels like a spoof  of Doctor Who to me.

@janetteb:

Why does it have to be a female? No one has come up with an adequate answer to that for me, other than it’s good idea?

In the words of Ebenezer Scrooge – Bah, humbug!

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  Why does it have to be a female? No one has come up with an adequate answer

I think it’s the wrong question; that’s why.  “It” doesn’t *have* to be “a female”.  But IMO it *is* a good idea to find new ways to vary the recipe (ways that speak to the culture that’s happening at the time) in order for the cake not to become flat, stale, and dismissable for everyone concerned.  Whether it turns out to be a good and tasty cake or not remains to be seen.  Personally, I’d be a lot more upset if we were offered another floppy-haired, appealing young guy or a muscled superhero or Steven Fry or Idris Elba, after the run of guys we’ve had with New Who.  Sometimes it really is Time for a Change.

Whether or not this is one of those times we can’t yet know, although some fans are sure they have the answer already — speaking of answers.  I’m sure I don’t have that answer, yet; but meantime I do applaud the courage shown by Chibnall and others in making such a leap in no firm assurance that it will be successful enough to been seen as successful by enough DW followers.

I love artistic courage, and I’m easily bored — to my cost, sometimes.  I hope for good things to come.

@missy

Why does it have to be a female? No one has come up with an adequate answer

Yeah, they have. But it’s not adequate *to you*. No answer can be adequate *to you* because you don’t want a female Doctor.

Can you just accept that gender-switching the Master to Missy was a magnificent success? And that earlier, the Sarah Jane Adventures showed that tiny Whovians were perfectly happy to accept a female lead in a Whoniverse adventure? And that, given the above evidence that the Whoniverse doesn’t demand a man in charge, the new production team have decided that they’d like to start with an experiment?

The experiment being a female Doctor.

If we never experiment with a female Doctor, we’ll never know whether the Doctor *must* be male – or whether it’s simply that we were too scared to try anything other than a white, British, male.

Thanks @missy, first let me say that I’m glad your going to at least watch the first two episodes to see if you like them and at one point, I stopped watching Doctor Who after I gave the 10th Doctor a chance so I completely understand why you might stop watching. Also, I understand the concern about political correctness influencing the casting and how we over compensate on these matters now of days. That was why I didn’t want a female doctor, I didn’t want people to feel that the doctor had to be female to over compensate for the lack of female doctors before. And for my answer on why the doctor had to be female, well, I think in the ideal version of this is that the doctor didn’t have to be female. I think that we all love The Doctor and when he regenerates, we’re nerves because we don’t know how the actor is going to betray him, not because his face changes. Faces change, we get older, we get wrinkles and at the end we all look different than what we did at the beginning. That’s life, so naturally when it happens to The Doctor, we still tune in and watch the adventures because that makes him no different from the rest of us. And I think that’s why some people are upset a lot, because in the past the casting of a doctor was just that, the casting of a doctor and finding the best actor for the job. Now it appears to be more than that, it looks like we’re looking for a face but we want the right actor for the job. I guess that’s my answer, a understanding of why everyone has their own thoughts about this topic. But it can be said that maybe the casting wasn’t influence by a face and maybe this person was correct for the role, she just has a face that can spark an issue. Well, I hope this answers your question and if not, than I hope you find someone else can answer your question, but it is nice to talk to you about this. I like talking to people with different thoughts, however I’m a little confuse about the last part of your post to me. Do you think I’m new to the blog, because I actually greeted you when you first joined.

Hi @ichabod nice to talk to you again. I can see why the new head writer makes you more worried than Jodie does. This is going to be easy for me, I love Moffat’s work very mush but I do believe he has over stayed his welcome. While I wouldn’t change anything in his time in charged, I love the idea of someone new coming onto the show and I’m a big fan of Chibnall’s work. I’m sure everyone knows by now that I’m a huge Torchwood fan and I also like Broadchurch so I can’t wait to see what he brings to the show. I just think that change is going to be good. For me, when I start to pick up on how a writers script works, everything becomes to easy to figure out. That’s why I watch the show, it’s a challenge to understand what’s going on and how to solve the problem at hand before an episode expires. After watching so manner seasons with Moffat in charge, I began seeing the ending of episodes to soon for it to be a challenge so I can’t wait to get that thrill back again where I don’t know what’s happening. That’s going to be fun. But I understand that you might not like Chibnall’s writing as much as Moffat’s writing, but I hope you enjoy it in the new up coming season. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it when we see that first episode. Also, I agree with you that this is a new start for the show and that it needs to go in a different direction from Moffat’s time. I think when a new headwriter comes onto the show, they need to chuck everything the previous headwriter did out the window and start a new. When RTD brought back the show, he had to make some changes and make it his own. Than when Moffat came he made a new, got a new doctor and a new companion. He brought the show in a new direction. Now it’s time for Chibnall to do the same. Well, I hope he does the show justice, I’m sure he will. For me, what I’ve seen is reminding me of classic who. The Doctor with three companions reminds me of the first Tardis team when the show first began and just what The Doctor is wearing reminds me of the first few doctor’s. My family members heard me going on rants about all the New Who doctors wearing earth tones before we saw what Jodie will be wearing. I talked for hours, saying that she should wear more bright colors like Classic Who doctors but still have a little black in the clothing design, so she’ll still be a New Who doctor. When I saw that outfit, she just reminded me of Tom Baker and had a few elements of other doctors. So, everything we have seen, I feel, has work before so why can’t it work again. However, I’m sure there are going to be brand new elements brought over to the show. I think we have nothing to feel nervous about. I hope you feel the same after seeing this new headwriters Doctor Who work.

Hello @janetteb , I just want to say that you’re right about Doctor Who always tackling issues of all sorts. This can be seen as another case of that. Classic Who did talk about issues that people had many different thoughts about at the time and now it doesn’t seem like it because times change, just like the 11th Doctor said. In a few years time, this can be seen as another case of one of those topics that will not appear like one in the future.

Well, I have put about an hour and a half into this reply, so I need to wrap everything up. Let me sum everything up by saying that if I saw Peter Capaldi right now, I would run up to him, give him a big hug (although I admire that his doctor doesn’t like hugs) and say “Please don’t leave.”, but I’m up for the change. I’m wanting to go on this journey no matter what. After leaving the show for some time, I would never do it again no matter what happens this season. I hope if anyone stops watching, that it is the right choice for them and they won’t regret it later. Now I’ll give a cheer for the new season, the new doctor, the new headwriter and everything we will be leaving behind. Talk to everyone later.

janetteB @janetteb

@gamergirlavatar Very well said on all points. I had mixed feelings initially about the choice of new Doctor, especially as the only roles I have seen Jodie W’ in are not very Doctorish but she is clearly a fine actor and so I look forward to seeing her as the Doctor because I think she will bring something fresh and new to the role and I also admire her courage in taking it on, knowing what fans can be like. Like @ichabod I am more concerned about Chibnell as showrunner however I keep reminding myself that he wrote “Pondlife” which suggested that he cares about the characters. I too like the prospect of a larger “team Tardis”. Yes it does not always work but some of my favourite companions were the early ones. Ian, Barbara and Vicky showed that three companions can work very well. (Less so with Susan). One of the recalcitrant sons also remarked that there was a large team of companions in the Dinosaurs on a Spaceship episode including Rory’s Dad and that worked well within that episode so I look forward to seeing what Chibnell does with “team Tardis”.
    Yes I loved Moffat’s writing but recognised that he was “wearing thin” in the role and I am sure he needed some life back too. I doubt I will ever love the series as much as I have these past few years but that doesn’t mean I won’t still love it just as I loved it before these golden Moffat years.
    Cheers
    Janette

@janetteb Thanks for the comment. The only role I’ve seen Jodie play is her character in Broadchurch and I think you’re right. It wasn’t a very doctor like role but I do think she is a “fine actor” like you said so I’m sure she can play more than one type of character. I haven’t thought of her courage of taking on the role, you make a good point. I always thought that the idea of playing The Doctor or companion would be such a joy that if you have the chance you would just shout “Yes!” with a big smile. After seeing Jodie in some interviews I’m sure she did just that but you would have to be brave in some form to take on a role when you know some people might not like you for it. I didn’t know that Chibnell wrote Pond Life. That’s good to know, I like Pond Life. I also forgot about the large “team Tardis” (that is such a catching name, “team Tardis”, I like it) in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. I need to re-watch some of Matt’s episodes. It did work very well in that episode and can’t wait (I’m going to be saying “can’t wait…” a lot) to see how three companions will play off of each other again. I can’t say anything about Vicky because I haven’t seen her yet, but I do like how Susan, Ian and Barbara worked together in their stories. “Team Tardis” in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship had members that were only their for one episode and with a bigger Team Tardis for a whole season, I think the characters can go into great depth than before. This also makes me think about companions like River and Captain Jack, who would show up every once in a while. I know characters in Doctor Who can always return but these companions returned regularly, so I wonder if there will be another companion like that, or will we have enough with the new Team Tardis. I guess we won’t have another companion like that again for some time. I’m ranting again, I need a companion like Clara who isn’t afraid to slap me when I do that. Well, I’m going to miss the Moffat years too although I agree he was “wearing thin”. I’m sure he is happy to have a little more life back and I will try to watch what ever he writes next. I doubt that I’ll love this new season as much as I loved Moffat and Peter Capaldi’s years but you never know. That’s just so great, we never know.

Lamont Cranston @lamontcranston

I am against a Female doctor, it’s always been a MALE, so why change. Political correctness naturally.

I shall watch the first two episodes, and if i don’t like them I shan’t watch the rest.

The thing is, apart from the above, I have never liked Jodie W, so, for me a double whammy!

Not everyone wanted a female by the way.

Can I get an amen on that?

LC

Hiker @hiker

Nope.

Whisht @whisht

nah, me neither.

and I’m a little bored by the lack of convincing argument on this one.
    The Doctor doesn’t have to be:
    – Male
    – Female
    – Two armed
    – Two legged
    – White
    – Black
    – Brown
    – Southern
    – Northern
    – Scottish
    – English
    – Blue
    – Hairy
    – Bald
    – Young looking
    – Old looking
    – Irritable
    – Charming
    – On Earth
    – Limited by the imaginations of the audience
    – Limited by the imaginations of the writers

etc etc blah blah.

The Doctor doesn’t even have to be liked (ie we have precedence).

janetteB @janetteb

@whisht Hear Hear..

Conny @conny-de

I would say, one of my favorite companions is Donna. One time I heard a boy in my school say “Yeah, I’m so happy that the Doctor finally has a tough red head as a companion” and I asked myself why even I always forget Donna when I talk about my favorite persons in DW

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

Blimey it’s been a while. I’ve been too caught up in out ‘foster dog’ to join you all.

You know my views, whether they make sense or not to everyone else, they do to me.

Female Doctor, JW in the role and Chris Chibnall in charge? No wonder I’m so negative.

However I do agree with you about, floppy haired young men, Steven Fry or Idris Elba.

Missy

Missy @missy

@gamergirlavatar:

Thank you for you for you kind and sensitive post. Like ichabod, you didn’t hit me with a verbal sledge hammer like one of our members.

My opinion and feelings about series 13 and the casting thereof, count as much as all the “Fors.” It matters not whether they are illogical to some or not, they are my opinions and I’m allowed to voice them.

I shall avoid sounding like a cracked record, but I don’t think that Jodie Whittaker is a fine actress, merely average.

And of course I shall watch at least two of the episodes, how can I have an opinion if I don’t. What happend next  is in the lap of the Gods. *winks*

Missy

Missy @missy

@conny-de:

So have I. Also River Song, even though she wasn’t strictly speaking a companion.

Missy

Missy @missy

@lamontcranston:  Can I get an amen on that?

Not likely.

Even a few who might feel as I do,  would be loathe to admit it for fear of rocking the boat.

Humans are like that. *grins*

Missy

Lamont Cranston @lamontcranston

Yeah,

The show has given into Political correctness. Lets just ignore 50 years of the program history. Sorry, but you can argue your point all you want. Don’t really care to get into a heated argument over it. But all it is, is a GIMMICK SEASON.

Thanks BBC for nothing.

LC

Missy @missy

@lamontcranston:

Good for you, you’ve joined the dark side.  *wink*

Couldn’t agree more.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@lamontcranston  @missy  The show is a “gimmick” show.  The gimmick is its flexibility (starting with the shape-shifting self-renewing hero in the police box), which allows it to respond to changes in our surrounding culture in a conscious way.  How weirdly stuffy and reactionary would DW look now, next to even superhero shows that just fold contemporary hot button issues into their stories to maintain a foothold in relevance?  Even “Stranger Things”, set back in the Cold War era in America, has characters that would never have shown up in such a show back then, and it’s appreciated by audiences for that.  DW doesn’t exist in a vacuum; there’s most of the rest of TV to compete with for young viewers’ attention.  I think the BBC’s doing its job, which is why it’s staying alive.

Thanks, BBC, for so much.

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

I understand your point of view and can, as a rule, be  objective. This time I’ve found it too hard.

There is a part of me that wonders whether they should have  ‘rested’ DW for a couple of years. Then start afresh.

It’s been done before, and ending – for a while – with the 12th Doctor might have been a better idea?

What do you all think?

Missy

ScaryB @scaryb

@ichabod – Agreed

@missy

“There is a part of me that wonders whether they should have  ‘rested’ DW for a couple of years. Then start afresh”

That’s pretty much what they’re doing, is it not? Last Capaldi/Moffat epi – July 2017, next one (bar the Christmas “Coda”), with completely new team, not till Sep 2018. That’s a long enough gap for me!! I’m gasping from lack of new Dr Who already 😛

@ALL Can I respectfully suggest we keep on topic, please. This thread is for “Companions Past & Present”. There’s really nothing more to be said about the incoming no. Thirteen, till we’ve seen at least her first episode.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 921 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.