Companions past and present

Home Forums General Companions past and present

This topic contains 924 replies, has 132 voices, and was last updated by  MagicKirin 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 901 through 924 (of 924 total)
  • Author
    JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@ichabod — well said. Although I’d have said innovatory rather than gimmicky. Who survives by trying things out — regeneration, Earth exile, etc. This is just the latest.

But @scaryb is right. This really has very little to do with companions past or present. We’ve had a long and varied 13th Doctor discussion and there doesn’t seem much to add to it until September.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Agreed.

The place to discuss women priests, women soldiers or woman Doctors 😉 – or any aspect of women taking on previously male roles – is the Pub.

Missy @missy

@scaryb:

I merely asked a question I’d been considering for a while, and asked for opinions. I did not expect such a harsh response.  Not very ‘kind’ was it.

2018 isn’t that far off and you will get your wish. Aren’t you a lucky vegemite!

The last break lasted 28 years, I wouldn’t have expected that, a bit excessive.

Having a new team isn’t having a break, it’s simply changing Doctors as the series has always done. Not the same at all.

This was the wrong thread, for which I apologise – but not for asking the question.

Missy

ScaryB @scaryb

@missy

There was absolutely no harshness intended, and if it read that way, I apologise.

Just that for me, a 15 month break, with 9 months (a good gestation period, no?) from the Xmas special, plus a new showrunner (and associate team of writers, directors, camera crew, music director etc) plus a different kind of Doctor, and new companions, does seem like a definite break – long enough to slow down even a mammoth ship like Dr Who, and change direction. “Chibbers” has said he wants to shake it up. The new series will have longer episodes, and a more “filmic” quality (he’s aready ordered new cameras apparently).

2 years is a long time in TV-land, enough to lose a chunk of your core audience when they’re under 12s, and possibly your BBC slot; it took 16 years to get it back the last time.

Anyway, enough of this here, let’s adjourn to the pub if you want to continue the discussion, or not. Let me get you a drink of your choice, and salute the coming new year in a spirit of reconciliation. 🙂

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@missy

Apologies if I’ve sounded too harsh, or too tetchy. Of course you can state your opinions, even if everyone else disagrees. Heck, I keep stating my opinion that the Moffat-Capaldi period was an experiment that failed, and people disagree with me all the time. 🙂

But I really do think that – while we have exactly two scenes and one line from Jodie Whittaker – any questions, comments or ‘frank and robust discussions’ about a woman playing the Doctor ought to be in The Maldovarium forum. And if you want to respond to new posters (and tell them that they’re not alone), you should direct them to The Maldovarium.

Currently, we can only have a general discussion about women playing male roles, or whether a woman playing this particular role is either a form of political correctness or a valid experiment. And the pub seems the best place for that sort of discussion.

Because we’ve seen very little of our female Doctor as yet – and most of the forums are about the programme as seen.

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip said:

Apologies if I’ve sounded too harsh, or too tetchy. Of course you can state your opinions, even if everyone else disagrees. Heck, I keep stating my opinion that the Moffat-Capaldi period was an experiment that failed, and people disagree with me all the time. 🙂

I think it as much me as you, so please accept my apologies for taking umbrage.

What with a female Doctor, and real life becoming a pain in the neck, I haven’t had the heart ot come back on the forum – but it wasn’t you or scaryB, whom I shall find shortly and apologise to – who put me off.

Pity I cannot read all the posts far too many, I’m too behind, but shall from now on.

Regards,

Missy

Missy @missy

@scaryb said:

There was absolutely no harshness intended, and if it read that way, I apologise.

Just that for me, a 15 month break, with 9 months (a good gestation period, no?) from the Xmas special, plus a new showrunner (and associate team of writers, directors, camera crew, music director etc) plus a different kind of Doctor, and new companions, does seem like a definite break – long enough to slow down even a mammoth ship like Dr Who, and change direction. “Chibbers” has said he wants to shake it up. The new series will have longer episodes, and a more “filmic” quality (he’s aready ordered new cameras apparently).

2 years is a long time in TV-land, enough to lose a chunk of your core audience when they’re under 12s, and possibly your BBC slot; it took 16 years to get it back the last time.

Anyway, enough of this here, let’s adjourn to the pub if you want to continue the discussion, or not. Let me get you a drink of your choice, and salute the coming new year in a spirit of reconciliation. 🙂

Hello there, I have just apologised to bluesqueak, and now I must offer you the same.

What with hating the new Doctor and the complete change, plus real life stuffing things up, I haven’t had the heart to visit the forum and read all posts – it wasn’t because of either of you.

You weren’t harsh, it was me being sensitive.

Good idea that drink offer, G and T methinks would go down a treat. We don’t have to agree to get on.

Regards,

Missy

Brune Bonassi @brunebonassi

I’ve a doubt that’s problably discussed somewhere but I couldn’t find it: the master dies twice in the same regeneration, whata hell is that? There’s some theory to background it? Because he sure dies in the episode of the toclafane and, while burns, regenerates to the sassy lady. And he also dies in moondance, by the sassy lady that is him.

And also, the thing about 12 regenerations that they speak a lot in the classic serie is forgoten, right? Because the autor give a sense of end in the 12º doctor, but the show goes on, so…

Thanks, kisses, and forgot my brasilian missleading with english.

janetteB @janetteb

@brunebonaassi Hi. I think you are knew here so welcome.

The issue with the regeneration limit was dealt with in Time of the Doctor. The time lords give him what appears to be unlimited regeneration energy, bending the laws of the universe a little. (Mostly because the BBC did not want a limit to one of their most popular and profitable shows.)

Cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb:

Spotonski! They might be a bit mean with the budget, but they aren’t stupid as well.

Missy

Anonymous @

I wasn’t convinced about a female Doctor either, just because I see the character as male, and I’m a woman, but now after seeing the Series 11 trailer I’m expectant and excited to see how it all will go. Doctor Who is my favorite show and I don’t understand those people who want it cancelled. If you don’t like one Doctor you just can wait to the next one. I’ve only been a fan for 6 years, so Capaldi was the first time I saw a new Doctor being cast since being a fan (I binge watched the series from Rose onwards), I loved him since the first moment and couldn’t understand those people hating him for being “old”. Now it’s the turn of people hating on women in general. I understand people who don’t like the gender change or the actress, but I have read some very nasty comments out there againts women that are frankly hurtful.

Missy @missy

@tempusfugit

As for hateful comments about JD I agree with you, not necessary. I don’t want a female Doctor, and JD certainly isn’t

that talented – what I’ve seen of her and that’s a lot. However, making nasty comments is quite, quite wrong.

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy  Right? I find distateful a lot of comments I have seen, not only about Jodie but against women in general, and feminist agendas, and bringing up Ghostbusters, and Last Jedi and Ocean’s 8 as a way of “how women are ruining everything”. I haven’t seen any of those movies but the general feeling seems to be that it’s women’s fault that people don’t like them

I have watched some of Jodie’s stuff and while I don’t connect with her as an actress the same as I connect with Peter as an actor, I won’t judge until I watch series 11. DW is my favorite show and I’m willing to enjoy it no matter what, I’m very stubborn that way LOL

janetteB @janetteb

@Tempusfugit An actor is the role they play, (or should be) so hopefully Jodie W will be “the Doctor” when she steps out of the Tardis. I am more concerned about the change in showrunner but like you I am quite determined to love Dr Who no matter what. (with the exception of that horrible 90s movie which failed utterly to capture the essence of the series)

Unfortunately the last Star Wars film was fairly awful, no fault of any of the actors more to do with the way the franchise is being “milked” for profit. Some fans have chosen to pin the film’s failings to their anti feminist agenda  and voice their views on line which then taints all those to criticise the film. Sad times we live in. I don’t recall there being any complaints that casting a woman as the main character in Alien or Aliens ruined those films. Sometimes I feel as though we are going backwards not forwards especially in the entertainment industry which is still so male dominated. Having studied film it is a “beef” of mine. The male point of view was absolute in film criticism.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@janetteb yes, I have hope in Jodie portraying well the Doctor. There isn’t a Doctor in show’s history that I dislike, I like some more than others, and with Jodie I suppose it will be the same: I will enjoy her depending on how she portrays the Doctor. I don’t think any other actor will topple Twelve as my favorite but there are a lot who I enjoy without being my favorite</span>

About Star Wars, I find fine if people criticize those movies on their own faults, what gets me is blaming on “feminist agendas”

Missy @missy

@tempusfugit

Everyone knows my views of a female doctor, so I shan’t chunter on. As for loving the series anyway, I have my doubts.

A female doctor, no Steven Moffat, no Murray Gold, no Missy, Michael Pickwoed  and Chris Chibnall as head writer?

This doesn’t bode well for my attachment to the programme.

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy well, maybe I’m too naive, but I don’t want to give up on my favorite show. I will also miss Murray Gold

@missy

Look in the bright side Missy. At least its not a “brown person”.

@TempusFugit

I remember hardcore fans saying they could never imagine David Tennant being replaced. Then Matt Smith ate fish fingers and custard…

Anonymous @

@pedant Well I will miss Peter Capaldi a lot because he’s my Doctor. But I’m curious about what direction the show will take

janetteB @janetteb

@tempusfugit I worry about Chibnell’s ability as show runner but like you the series would have to be very bad indeed for me to give up on it and I am looking forward to seeing Jodie W’ in the role because I really don’t know what to expect. Likewise I liked Murray Gold’s music but look forward to the new composer’s approach.

I have already made plans with friends for a Dr Who party (involving Jammy Dodgers, fish fingers with custard and jelly babies) when it starts. Will be on the Wednesday night however so the question is whether to wait till then or watch first and pretend on Wednesday that I have not already seen it.

Regards

Janette

Missy @missy

@tempusfugit

No you aren’t naive, I wish I were more like you.

@janetteb

Now that’s what I call real attachment to the programme. *Grins*

Missy

@magickirin

New to this site

You might want to try reading the site for a bit to get a sense of the company you are in.

That, or get used to people pointing at you and laughing.

ScubaGeek @scubageek

My favorite companion has always been Sarah Jane. I started watching the show in the early 80’s, when PBS in the US was running the first three years of Tom Baker’s run. I remember being heartbroken the first time I saw Sarah Jane’s last scene at the end of Hand Of Fear. I tear up when just about any of the companions leave, but that was first time really gutted me.

And I was so happy when she came back for School Reunion, though I’ll always been upset with the BBC (for announcing it ahead of time) and the Sci-Fi Channel (for being a year behind on running those first few seasons of the revived show, before it switched it over to BBC America). I always thought it would have been great to tune in, not knowing that they were bringing Sarah Jane back, and to be just blown away to see her. But everyone went out of their way to make a great big, unavoidable spoiler on that one. So bollocks to the BBC for that one!

ScubaGeek @scubageek

re: regenerations, those familiar with the Tom Baker era may remember the scene in Brain Of Morbius, where The Doctor and Morbius are doing the mind bending thing, where you see the faces flashing on the screen. I think in the audio commentary, Phillip Hinchcliffe, I think, says that they intended at least some of the faces to be past Doctors. In other words, William Hartnell, according to them, was not the First Doctor.

So, really, Matt Smith was something like the 25th Doctor, not the 13th. Of course, that’s only if you go along with Hinchcliffe’s thinking, which apparently nobody else has bothered with. But of course, there’s lots of anachronisms in classic Doctor Who, some way more obvious than who the unfamiliar faces we see during the mind bending scene are.

Viewing 24 posts - 901 through 924 (of 924 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.