Doctor Who News (2)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (2)

This topic contains 951 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 952 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

z

ScaryB @scaryb

On the subject of spoilers – BBC website announcements/articles are fine. (I ‘m not convinced that the Radio Times deserves that status any more, but if @bluesqueakpip approves, then fine by me)

I suggest that anyone who doesn’t want spoilered at all (inc BBC announcements) should really clear off the internet (inc this site) around about now. It’s all going to be bubbling like crazy very very soon.

But will really appreciate it  if the News thread posts are strictly BBC only (unless pre-vetted and approved by Wolfweed of course!)

Love the Strax field report: “We can learn much from Scotchland!” (Perfectly pitched to particularly irritate the natives north of the Border 🙂 )

wolfweed @wolfweed

@nick – Sorry. I’m a bit defensive of late.

I hold my hands up – Post #20144 should have had a warning of ‘official spoilers’ or something & probably not the picture.

If @Shazzbot or another person with Time Lord powers wants to fix the post then great.

z

@Everyone:

Contrary to popular belief, I am not an expert on what is or isn’t a spoiler.

Please don’t ask me for vetting advice!

I’m often quite rubbish & make mistakes.

I will say that I do try to consider spoilerphobes – I don’t wish to ruin my friendships!

Peace.

@wolfweed

If it’s any consolation I posted the Queen Liz pic here, then thought better of it and used my edit window to shift it to the spoilers section. If I’d waited too long I’d have got in the ear too….

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sorry to anyone who was/felt spoilered.

(Just to clarify – I mean it. I’m not being flippant.)

z

Wolfweed.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed. I’ve edited it for you. I don’t think it’s a big deal though as it was on the BBC site but I can also see @nick‘s point and why @pedant thought better of it (I was wondering what that post was about, by the way).

It’s gonna be an interesting couple of weeks and there will be people who aren’t happy.

I wonder, though, and this is a question to everyone, how we can discuss the trailer? Are there people who don’t even want to see the trailer so they know nothing? And if there are, wouldn’t they be better, as @scaryb suggests, avoiding the internet?

The trailer will contain details that will be poured over and speculated on. Every frame will be analysed. It will bring much joy to many on this site, but it will, perhaps, spoil it in some way for others.

I think I agree with @scaryb that The Radio Times now contains comment pieces that do sometimes discuss what I would consider spoilers so should probably be removed as a non-spoiler source. But anything on the official site and shown on the BBC has to be fair game for posts and pics in “News”. So I think I’d like to propose the following:

Spoiler alert

The trailer will be freely discussed on this site. BBC press releases will be freely discussed on this site. Please stay away if you don’t want to know anything at all until you put on those 3D glasses. Really, it’s for your own good.

Please let me know if think I’m wrong or would like to add anything.

@craig – I don’t think you can protect against people clicking a link – in the end, you aren’t the keeper of the world.

Trolls trying to ruin it is a much bigger threat than anything on the BBC site.

Also, I think people need to be less anal about the distinction between a spoiler and a teaser.

Moff says nothing goes on the official site without his consent, and he uses them to misdirect as often as not: “We’re giving the Daleks a rest”;”OK Daleks in new episode” ZOMG GOD THERE’S THE NEW GIRL!!!!!

We are supposed to get whipped up into a frenzy about things!

But a simple courtesy to keep speculation in the ep thread and images an tidbits in the spoilers thread should cover it, as a policy issue.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@everyone – yes, I think that sadly, the Radio Times has now gone into ‘spoiler’ territory.

Reporting interviews that are on the official site isn’t a ‘spoiler’. That’s ‘news’. The BBC site is the official site; a subsection of the production team. It’s up to forum members how much ‘news’ they want to know; but expect people to discuss ‘news’ in the relevant episode threads, in the News thread or On The Sofa.

Similarly, anything reported on the Ten O’Clock news, or the BBC news website is also ‘news’. Even if the production team didn’t want us to know it, if it’s on the Ten O’Clock bloody news (::cough:: Ian Levine ::cough::) I think we can say the item has gone well and truly public.

@craig The trailer: news, in my frankly-never-humble opinion. Seriously, five million people will probably see the trailer on broadcast, followed by further millions on iPlayer, YouTube, the Official Site. We can be polite about it, but if you’re trailer-phobic – probably best to stay away for a bit.

So long as we’ve got a Trailer Alert so people know – as @scaryb says, things are going to be going crazy very shortly. The real decision is going to be ‘At what point before the 23rd are we closing to new members?’

Whisht @whisht

erm, would it make sense to have a Trailer thread (its almost an episode in its own right)?

That way, there’s loads of discussion, pulling it apart piece by piece (pixel by pixel!) but no contamination of other episode/ 50th/ sofa threads.

The Sofa is a place to get community news too, so if people are really averse, they may miss stuff about the 22nd, updates on members etc etc.

just a thought

wolfweed @wolfweed

Thanks @craig.

Oh no…

What about Children in Need?

What about Graham Norton?
    z

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Just to give my two cents on the spoiler/trailer issue, I think I agree with @whisht. I can understand people not wanting to discuss it on open threads before broadcast, but I personally wouldn’t want to discuss it in the Spoilers thread because that’s bound to contain things that are certainly spoilers and that I genuinely didn’t want to know.

I also think the official trailer will generate more than enough comments to be worth having.

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed

Well the apology was appreciated, but if you’d REALLY meant it you’d have used an expert!

😉

Actually, thinking about it, maybe a Trailers thread is the answer, that is, somewhere that future trailers, eg, for the Christmas special, Capaldi’s debut and so on can also be discussed there. A special thread for one trailer might be excessive, but a general one for all trailers could work.

ScaryB @scaryb

I’m kinda in favour of a trailers thread if it’s not too much hassle to set up.  Or it could go on the 50th thread, it is for that episode after all (OMG! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S NEARLY HERE!!! :SHOCK: ) What happened with the last trailer? Did we manage to keep to one thread or were we bouncing about all over the place?

Definitely agree with @pedant and @bluesqueakpip re closing the site to new members at some point soonish. We did it as a spoiler-troll precaution before NotD  I think (following a small infestation)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed I forgot about those! I think if it’s a TV show with millions of viewers then it’s basically public knowledge.

I love the hive mind. @whisht @arkleseizure @scaryb Brilliant idea. Trailers thread is great and one I’ll keep for the future, but I’d like to keep the thread number down if possible and discussion of the trailer would seem to fit with the 50th thread.

Of course, if everything goes a bit Pete Tong after Saturday I may instigate a Trailer thread very quickly.

Closing the site has crossed my mind but, again, I’ll wait until after Saturday to see what starts happening. We closed it because, supposedly (I don’t think it was ever confirmed), some people got their DVD box sets before the final episode. There have been no reports of leaks this time.

But if people feel strongly about it I will close the site to new members, say, a week before airing just in case (or is that too late).

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig You’re right about closing last time was because of the rogue DVDs. But it did make the site feel safer in the final week. I think the week before would be fine, but whatever everyone else thinks.

@arkleseizure – you’ve regenerated 🙂

@scaryb: 🙂 Just re-watched the Loose Cannon reconstruction of The Massacre of St Bartholemew’s Eve. It really is a brilliant story, and definitely the number one thing I want to have been on that shelf in Nigeria. So I thought I’d switch to a pic of Hartnell as the Abbot of Amboise.

Also, I remembered that @htpbdet used a picture of Troughton as Salamander as his avatar, so Hartnell as the Abbot is a sort of subtle tribute.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Evening all,

@scaryb

I remember the prologue clip for Name of the Doctor really well. I put it in the news thread at your (and others) request because I didn’t consider it a spoiler, but asked discussion of it to be there. As it was just a week before transmission I don’t think it impacted at the time. You later confessed to giving in and watching it, as I remember. 😀

@craig @all

If we want the trailer discussion to be in one place, we could use one of the blogs to post it. Enough of us (including @wolfweed, who is usually hot of the starting block) have the capacity to set up a dedicated blog to it. It has the benefit that only a few lines of text are visible in the activity stream as well.

As for closing the site to new members, why not play that one by ear? I’m sure if something breaks for this one it is more likely than not going to be the press itself given the profile and buzz surrounding it.

ScaryB @scaryb

@arkleseizure That’s a lovely double tribute. And I’m right there with you on Massacre (tho Marco Polo gives it a v close run).  I’m keeping fingers and toes x’d that they didn’t check right to the back of those Nigerian shelves yet! (or they found a pile of as yet unID’d tapes which are still in a box to be gone through)

@phaseshift Re the trailer – actually I resisted NotD trailer till after the episode – I think I posted that on balance I was glad I had.  Not so much re spoilers, but it was nice to hit those opening scenes without a clue about what/where etc!  But I’ll probably watch this one, definitely will, if as has been hinted,  it’s been specially made by the production team rather than put together by trailer-makers.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    thommck @thommck

Eeeeeep! the first clip from the special is online, about 5 seconds long but very intriguing!
    youtu.be/_ru-z8Tjg3g

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Ah – Day of the Doctor will be shown at 19:50 on the 23rd on TV. I think I have most of the scheduling information, and will update the blog with these and others requests (and finally get a look at the cocktail suggestions as well).

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

A ‘teaser’ clip from The Science of Doctor Who…

@thommck – that YouTube clip has been taken down, but the official sneak peek for Day of The Doctor is now up at the BBC site.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Announcement before The Graham Norton Show, that TARDISes will be hidden in various BBC TV shows over the next fortnight.

z  (There’s not one in this picture).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Do you think that’s what Moffat meant when he said Doctor Who would be all over TV?

Is a bit poor if it is…

Just saying… not being ARSEy.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Announcer actually said BBC One favourites.

@craig – Probably… I’m phoning up Trades Descriptions in the morning!

Mind you, it might be quite funny if the conclusion of ‘The Escape Artist’ on Tuesday has someone bludgeoned to death by a TARDIS air freshener.

z

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Maybe, but I think it’s just part of it.  As Moffat (grudgingly, haha) pointed out, the BBC do have a number of other programmes to promote(!) – there will be a LOT of piggy-backing in the next couple of weeks, with DW cast appearing on any programmes that have guests, Dr Who themed things etc.

I’ve started to notice a lot more visibility re DW in adverts and previews (on Watch Again for example) etc.

And we’ve got the teaser trailer (woohoo!!) ::attempts a cartwheel::

Errr… no-one’s discussing it!!! Is it all happening on spoilers thread? Loads of activity on there, but don’t want to look 🙁

Timeloop @timeloop

@scaryb There is more going on there. Pictures and stuff. But yes, leaked trailers as well. The official one is not out yet, is it?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb I know. And if they are thinking about promotional budgets, they really don’t have to spend anything on Doctor Who or Sherlock, the fans and the press will do it all for them for free (although I have to say that I don’t quite get the appeal of Sherlock. I’m a huge fan of the original books and have read them all – bought the literary equivalent of a box set when I was 16. But Sherlock leaves me a bit cold.)

The trailer (we think the Sunday one, there are supposedly two) leaked early and IS being discussed in Spoilers. Some Peruvian TV station posted it on their Facebook page a day early! As soon as it goes up the BBC get it taken down, only for it to pop up somewhere else. Someone’s head is gonna roll…

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Thanks. Yeah, I’d agree with you on Sherlock (agh! Is that heresy? Maybe depends how much you know and loved the books first). Just as well – I don’t need another series to obsess over, haha

The trailer – this one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01l9ntt

(The Zygon looks amazing)

Now on official BBC site.  Also the 13 sec teaser with the painting.

So re the spoilers thread –  in the words of Marathon man – Is it safe? (will I come and join you all there? (No prob with the official trailer and the teasers))

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb Yes, that’s the one. They must have given in and decided to post it!

Certainly this page is safe, but I think I’ll do a blog, as PhaseShift suggested

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/spoilers/page/14/#post-20350

Timeloop @timeloop

@scaryb It takes a lot out of the guessing game though. It is very specific.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb et al

I’ve started a blog to discuss the trailer now that it is on the BBC’s site

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/sidrat/the-trailer-discuss-it-here/

Magnetite @magnetite

So many active threads going at the moment, so I’m not sure if this has been covered yet, but Channel 5 are showing the Peter Cushing ‘Doctor Who’ films on the anniversary weekend:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-11-08/doctor-who-channel-5-to-air-peter-cushing-films-to-mark-50th-anniversary

I know it’s not ‘The’ Doctor, but it’ll be interesting to see them again, especially with Bernard Cribbins in the second one. Don’t think I’ve seen them since Saturday mornings at the local ABC…

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/doctor-who-ultimate-guide.html
    The BBC have revealed details about Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide
    z

Anonymous @

@magnetite – Thanks for the heads up on the Peter Cushing movies 🙂 I haven’t seen them since I was a wee nipper in the 70’s.

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.channel5.com/shows/greatest-kids-tv-shows/episodes/greatest-kids-tv-shows

‘Greatest Kids TV Shows’ on Channel 5 last night featured Jon Pertwee, Sylvester McCoy & Peter Purves.

Watch it it in the link above.
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

First look at new game Legacy…
    z

Anonymous @

Interview with Jenna Coleman in the Guardian …

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/nov/10/jenna-coleman-doctor-who-peter-capaldi

as Matt Smith himself put it: “Clara’s different from Amy. He has more chance of snogging Clara.”

eeuuww. Let’s start that whole ‘snogging-the-companion’ debate again {yawn}

Anonymous @

Well, the Guardian is doing its best to keep the flame alive:

Article on Mike Tucker, special effects designer for Doctor Who

A cardboard Tardis, made four decades ago from discarded cereal boxes by a young Doctor Who fan in Wales, is to go on display this month at Bradford’s National Museum of Media. Lovingly stored in the loft of the boy’s mother, the mini-Tardis has been lent for an exhibition celebrating the impact of the programme on the imagination of viewers. The story takes on a remarkablenew dimension when it is revealed that little Mike Tucker, the boy who made the cardboard police phone box, went on to do this for a living – creating many of the most terrifying,behind-the-sofa moments on Doctor Who.

And, another shout-out for outside-the-M25 Who celebrations! 🙂

Let’s start that whole ‘snogging-the-companion’ debate again

@Shazzbot – that seems to be the (male) reporter quoting an off-the-cuff joke by Matt Smith, not anything Ms Coleman said to him.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/11/anthony-coburns-son-spurious-tardis-copyright-claim/

With rumours abounding that the Unearthly Child repeats might be cancelled, this Lawsuit by Mr Coburn is as intriguing as it is baffling.
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/11/children-in-need-auction-10112013142515.html

Children in need – Bid money for charity to go behind the scenes on Peter Capaldi’s debut…
    z

Timeloop @timeloop

@wolfweed £6,301.00 ! How much are people willing to pay for that? Great stuff for children in need. Seven more days to go. I wonder where the bidding will stop?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@timeloop – Truly Priceless (If you’ve got the cash). Also, a unique TARDIS Marshall Amp Stack, I see!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bbc-children-in-need/_i.html?_nkw=dr+who&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

z

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 952 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (2)’ is closed to new replies.