Doctor Who News (2)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (2)

This topic contains 951 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 952 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Or someone who just wants to do it for the joy of doing it. I live in hope.

ScaryB @scaryb

Meanwhile, as Who fandom goes into online anticip-p-pation meltdown, it’s business as usual at the official Dr Who twitter feed – with Happy Birthday to Brian Blessed (or should that be HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN BLESSED?)… with a clip of him with Colin B!

And the Daleks join the nominations list for ultimate villain

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho

🙂

Anonymous @

[from @scaryb]

Nothing official yet, but the press conference is over. Embargoed till midnight but this report is typical. (Interesting comments about ARSEiness at the end) http://www.outpostskaro.com/v2_5/index.php/news-cat-list/tvnews-list/390-missing-episodes-we-re-coming-in-to-land

Everyone is saying it’s well worth the wait (and then some!) and it’s several more than 2 episodes.

Someone called Lance Parkin has tweeted that he didn’t sign anything so he’s breaking the embargo. If he’s right I’m going to be squeeeing myself into a tizz around 00.01 tonight. (Not posting link to him but you can find him easily enough on Twitter)

CptNifty @cptnifty

I’m still delighted to see any episodes back, but the idea of possibly having full stories for many of us to see for the first time is a spine tinglingly glorious thought.

BRING them on!

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

I think this is what they call “tenterhooks”: I’ve a feeling it will be a good haul, albeit nothing like 100 episodes! Roll on 0001 hours!

(I like Lance Parkin: he’s written some of the few New Adventures I’ve managed to finish, but I’ll definitely be avoiding his twitter account today. Can I suggest that anybody who looks and wants to talk about it do so on the Spoilers thread?)

CptNifty @cptnifty

There is a reveal of sorts on the Digital Spy Doctor Who forum, of course it could be pig dribble so I’m happily awaiting midnight. I even have a bottle of fizzy to drink finding out (although to be honest as I’m not at work tomorrow I would’ve probably had a bottle kicking about anyway)

Anonymous @

I must admit that my initial ‘meh’ over this story — I’d much rather have new Who than rediscovered old Who — has very much given way to a touch of the squeeeees now. I can’t believe that it’s just going to be a couple of recovered eps and that it’s going to be a substantial find. And if episodes of The Web of Fear, The Moonbase or the Daleks’ Master Plan or even a complete Tenth Planet or The Invasion is among them then I’ll be very excited…

wolfweed @wolfweed

I have found a link to a rumour about some specific stories.  Should I post it in spoilers?

Nick @nick

The Northern Echo story that @cptnifty obliquely referred to is true as they have posted an apology on their web site

wolfweed @wolfweed

@nick – That is the story that my link would have referred to.
    z

Anonymous @

There’s always some fecker who doesn’t know the meaning of the word ’embargo’

Nick @nick

@wolfweed @jimthefish

apparently he was exterminated already

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@jimthefish

I’d much rather have new Who than rediscovered old Who

Really? There, my fishy friend, we differ. I am willing to admit that it may be age talking, but I grew up with the show, and episodes that I dimly remember, but have not seen since their original screening, are stories that I hunger to see again.

I think this might be the time for everyone to watch the remaining episodes of lost stories on the DVD collection “Lost in Time”. To see the whole story of “The Crusade”, or “The Daleks’ Master Plan” or…so much else, would be simply wonderful.

New Who, and Moffat and Matt Smith–none of it would be here if it wasn’t for the wonder of old Who. To have at least some of it available again is, perhaps, the best celebration of the 50th we could have.

<which doesn’t mean I don’t want the trailer now. And I mean now!>

Desperately trying not to hope for The Massacre of St Bartholomew’s Eve… That would be too brilliant for words.

@blenkinsopthebrave : Agreed, except that, given I was born in 1978, as far an I’m concerned, rediscovered old Who to all intents and purposes is new Who. I’m looking forward to chucking my previously-treasured Loose Cannons in the bin!

wolfweed @wolfweed

I reckon they’ve located the Dark Dimension episode in a Parallel Universe…
    z

Har! Har!

Nick @nick

@wolfweed

the picture looks great. Apart from that, I’m afraid I’ve never heard of it so it must be timelocked like the BBC PR boondogie earlier today

Nick

wolfweed @wolfweed

@nick – It never actually existed in our Universe, but if it had we would have witnessed it in 1993…

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave — don’t get me wrong, I’ll be glad that these episodes are back but I have to admit that I tend not to revisit old episodes really (although I have just done an entire Pertwee era marathon). As I’ve said before, pre-1977 Who tends to exist for me as a literary phenomenon and I tend to revisit them in book form over TV anyway. Watching old episodes of Who for me is largely done out of curiosity and never seems untinged by a slight sense of disappointment…

But you’re dead right that without it, the show, or indeed any of us, would be here today…

Anonymous @
    Nick @nick

@wolfweed

Ha just what i thought 🙂 (although there might just have been some fan flic out there). I thought i recognised Jim’s Dalek design in the foreground.

Cheers

Nick

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish

There’s always some fecker who doesn’t know the meaning of the word ‘embargo’

I’m going to get the next round in?

Agreed, though. When someone tweeted that they didn’t sign anything, so … I was like ‘Classic. They’re asking you to wait less than ten hours.’

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish @arkleseizure @blenkinsopthebrave and everyone (and thanks to @Shazzbot for reposting my earlier post – dunno why it wouldn’t let me post 🙁  Let you know if it happens again)

I’m assuming since Jamie and Victoria were involved then some Troughton is very likely.  ANY episodes from that period would be just brilliant.

The danger now is for people to go… meh… when it’s less than the full 106 epsiodes!  To put it in perspective – there’s been a total of just 8 episodes found in the last 25 years and as more and more of the limited trails are followed and ruled out, finding any new old stuff becomes less and less likely. To find episodes that have apparently been stored properly is just… beyond words. Any number above zero being found is to be heartily celebrated.

I don’t care if the BBC has been sitting on these for 5 years*! It’s an amazing anniversary present, and worth waiting for.   Especially if they are taking the time to clean them up or whatever’s required. Already there’s a lot of moaning online about “why the embargo – not fair to fans” from ARSEs who clearly have no concept whatsoever about how getting stuff in the press works.

Agree with @blenkinsopthebrave – this is gold dust for those of us who saw these once, nearly 50 years ago, and for fans who didn’t. And yes, ahem, new trailer… maybe… soonish….? Although, as Lou Reed said in a very different context – “First thing you learn is you always gotta wait!

@CaptNifty, and anyone else who’s up and about – see you in the Rose and Crown shortly after midnight 😉

*note:no insider knowledge implied here, a completely random figure I just made up

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb

Any number above zero being found is to be heartily celebrated.

Just this… I want to kiss you.

I hope everyone else has the same opinion. No ARSE here please.

CptNifty @cptnifty

I’ve been a fan for such a long time (30+years and counting) and when I was young the allure of those unseen early episodes was overwhelming! When I saw An Unearthly Child for the first time in the Five Faces of Doctor Who repeat season I was amazed and utterly thrilled. It seemed like a totally different programme, all the elements were there and I’d seen pictures of William Hartnell but was shocked at how serious he seemed. Time hasn’t changed much, I’m still feeling thrilled at the thought of seeing these stories that had passed into the ether before I could grasp them.

I hope I can download them tonight and revel in the Hartnell or Troughton glory.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Currently away from keyboard based computers but was just browsing on The Independent and there was a link to the story on the missing episodes. I clicked on it and the link didn’t work.

What I’m hinting at is that it was clearly a post embargo story as it named the episodes and where they were found in the initial strap line. The whole thing has been taken down now – clearly an error on their part.

Anything would be terrific.

Something that completes a story (or is a complete story) would have me bouncing round the room. I never got the chance to see Hartnell or Troughton when the stories were on air; now there are so many stories where you have the depressing feeling that you never will be able to see them.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Aw shucks… mwuh!

😳

Right now I feel like a 10 yo on Christmas Eve – you know the present’s under the tree, they’ve not forgotten you. You don’t know exactly what it is, but you do know it’s something you really really want, and it’s OK  to wait just a little bit longer before you unwrap it. (Which doesn’t mean I won’t be straight on to itunes at 00.01, assuming they’re available for download then)

Anonymous @

In many ways I guess it’s a pity that the timing is so tight as it would have been nice to have been doing something really ‘fresh’ to pretty much everyone for our Troughton retrospective…

Nick @nick

@scaryb @cptnifty

Do you think they will be on sale tomorrow ? It would seem unusual (to me anyway) for the BBC to prioritise downloads rather than DVD’s retailers. I’d have thought a release date might be more likely ? I would have thought the story would have leaked earlier if there was going to be a DVD release given the logistics.

Cheers

Nick

Anonymous @

@scaryb – Lance Parkin has indeed broken the embargo. I’m taking what he’s said with a huge pinch of salt as, apparently, he wasn’t even at the press conference and is just repeating what a friend of a friend of a friend (etc…) told him.

On the off-chance that he’s right though, I suggest anyone who doesn’t want to know stays away from Twitter for a few hours.

Off to watch Mock The Week. May pop back later.

CptNifty @cptnifty

@nick

My thoughts, incessantly based on pure, luxurious speculation is that the downloads will be hugely beneficial in funding for the restoration of the eventual DVD release and also this way you can make a media event of the finding of missing episodes and sate people’s desire to have it there and then.

Makes sense.

Nick @nick

@cptnifty

That makes perfect sense although the leaks/rumour i read implied that they had already been restored by BBC Worldwide. It seems the “more to come” element (if its true) would be the unrestored element. Still only 2 hours to go 🙂 although since its already 1 am here, I suspect I’ll be asleep 🙁

Cheers

Nick

Two hours… Of course, any rediscovered episode is great news, but I will be disappointed if they’ve gone to these lengths for two episodes of Fury From the Deep and one from the Enemy of the World (not that I’ve anything against these stories, they’re just two that came into my head). It’s the anticipation!

Will there be a special announcement or something? And am I just writing any old thing to pass the time?

CptNifty @cptnifty

@nick

I must put in here that by ‘restoration’ I include the extras and the suchlike.

It’s exciting isn’t it?

Must be. Work tomorrow (then off for a fortnight :)), but I’ll be in the Rose and Crown at midnight with a glass of Rioja!

Nick @nick

@arkleseizure

The Independent and the Northern Echo both posted the details on their web sites tonight (before pulling them) which agreed with what Lance Parkin said he’d been told. That part of the mystery seems to have been resolved, but ……

Cheers

Nick

Nick @nick

@cptnifty

i cant remember a night like it, although I have to say they could have done a live BBC 1 extravangaza instead of the embargo (sorry going all ARSEy their for a moment)

cheers

Nick

CptNifty @cptnifty

@nick

It’s still a joy to have this feeling of excitement if I’d known it was going to be so Christmasesque I’d have eaten myself into a chocolate stupor in support of the rather giddy presents about to be proffered (even though we have to pay for them ourselves, thanks Auntie Beeb)

Oooooooo, an hour and a hauf!

Nick @nick

watching Sky News – paper review headlines show the missing episodes makes the front page of the mirror tomorrow

wolfweed @wolfweed

Dr Who Magazine now have a website up & running… http://www.doctorwhomagazine.com/
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

It’s official – itunes have new old Dr Who for sale…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/

Doctor Who Magazine are reporting: Enemy of The World has been completely recovered and Web of Fear now joins the stories only missing one episode.

That is fantastic news: Enemy of the World is said to be one of Troughton’s best performances in Who and Web of Fear has the first appearance of Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart.

Fantastic! Troughton’s Salamander has always sounded brilliant: now I can find out what the performance looks like! And more Yeti in the underground (I bet they animate the last episode now). I am a very happy Little Green Man!

wolfweed @wolfweed

The film recordings were discovered by Philip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archives, who is interviewed in the forthcoming issue of Doctor Who Magazine, published on Thursday 17 October.
    z
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ckdpvg22w&feature=youtu.be

The Enemy of the World: Trailer
    z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ABFqI6T6x4
    <h1 id=”watch-headline-title”>The Doctor reactivates a Yeti Sphere</h1>
    z
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nStE5MYMUgs
    <h1 id=”watch-headline-title”>The Doctor goes for a swim</h1>
    z

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

“The Web of Fear” AND “”The Enemy of the World”!!!

Happiness reigns in the Blenkinsop household. Indeed, Mrs Blenkinsop is all acquiver.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I, for one, hope that the news brings @htpbdet back to us.

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPm6zcy_6j0
    The Web of Fear: Trailer

z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6s6TT_PKsE

Missing Episodes Press Conference
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyD8MiTgB5Q
    Doctor Who interview – Phillip Morris

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 952 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (2)’ is closed to new replies.