Doctor Who News (3)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (3)

This topic contains 1,028 replies, has 95 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1,001 through 1,029 (of 1,029 total)
  • Author
    janetteB @janetteb

Unless I have missed something major there has been no actual news at to whether Capaldi is leaving has there? I am hoping he will stay for Chibnall’s first series. I would have thought that keeping the Doctor is less risky and given that the BBC are quite jittery at the moment I would think they would not want to take too much of a risk with their time travelling cash cow. Judging by the reactions on here it would be unwise. A new show runner is sufficient to deal with, without having to adjust to a new Doctor too. Moffat was not happy about having to introduce a new Doctor when he took over as show runner. Anyways I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that P.C. will do at least one series with “Chibbers”. And I still have three more Doctors to get to complete my mini figure collection. I don’t need an extra Doctor to make it even more difficult. (We have become helplessly hooked on the mini figure surprise packs. The boys love them too. I already have some put away for next Christmas.)

I think different incarnations of the Doctor appeal to different people. There will always be some people who don’t like a particular actor, others who think that actor is the best. My boys prefer Capaldi to Matt Smith. I have talked to a lot of fans who are not keen on the direction that Moffat has taken the show. I have even met fans who did not like Tom Baker back in the day. Dr Who as a series, will always be changing, going through it own regenerations, change is what keeps it going.

Cheers

Janette.

Anonymous @

@janetteb

Welcome back my dear!  Haven’t seen you in a while. I hope all is well (children are at school) and that you are safe from the bushfires typical this time of year.

I agree regarding Chibbers (love that name) and you’re right, there’s been no mention of Capaldi pulling up tent pegs or closing the Tardis door for a final time but as @jimthefish mentioned Doctors staying with show-runners is rare–ish – I must check that post of Jim’s up thread directly.

And you’re right: the show depends on evolution and changes in directions. It always has and whilst there’s ups and downs, it’s OK: balance inevitably reoccurs.

Interesting about your children: my boy finds that Smith is “his” Doctor (nice poster, precisely framed and above his bed lamp which heightens the enigmatic smile on Smith’s face every evening: whereupon a little prayer wings out to the Doctor which is luverly) and yet these past two series have really evoked something generous in Son’s heart.

Son found the stories intriguing and with PC there were hidden layers of emotion and complexity which energised the stories about him. Son ‘connected’ deeply with this Doctor, and, compelled by the social and political focus, entreated his friends to check out Doctor Who. I think PC is now equal favourites with MSmith. Whereas Smith was playful and enthusiastic, Capaldi is sad and bristly (“sad is happy for deep people”) but also majestic. He holds a little back in his acting and I think Son appreciates that immensely.

But he understands that every person has their favourite and that’s what creates this show: re-energises it and ‘re-generates’ it as did that great re-boot back in ’05. So it’s time to say “cheers” to RTD for his fantastic vision. Without him, AG Who wouldn’t be here..

<PS: I realise I’m straying far and away from the point of this thread! I better move to pub before I’m modded off>

Kindest to you Janette.

Puro

ichabod @ichabod

@puroandson  (but really PuroSolo right now — )  Right back atcha, and feel free to entertain the wrathy whenever the urge comes upon you.  You’re polite and funny about it, *and* you’ve had plenty of provocation lately even without the Windy One in your hospital room.

Be reassured; from what I’ve observed on other boards, at this point Capaldi is as near to universally liked-to-loved-to-adored as it gets with DW.  Many, many sheepishly (or proudly) confessed conversions reported, even on reddit, of all places.  Yea, even on YouTube, if you look at some of the fan-tribute videos and music clips re S8 and S9 — just stay away from the known pits of venom, and it’s fine; lots of enthusiasm!

I don’t think Capaldi’s going anywhere any time soon, actually; he’s a guy who clearly likes a challenge, and I think the challenge of shifting to a different show-runner just to see what he can do with it will be very appealing to him.  How other players in the mix will come down on the question of doing a regeneration at the end of S10 is unpredictable, but I doubt that he himself is in any rush to walk away at this point, anyway — he’s said as much in interviews.  But, you know, shit-stirrers will keep stirring up shit, just to convince themselves that they really do exist.  Poor shlubs; what a life.

ichabod @ichabod

@janetteb   Hit the nail on the head — change is the life blood of DW.  But too much at once is extra-difficult and hard on everybody, particularly, I think, on fans with more rigid and defensive mind-sets about the show.  We just have to trust the new folks (and the old ones — I’m assuming some of Chib’s writers will be veterans of Moffat’s shift) to find the right balance.

And I hope CapDoc is part of that balance in S11 and onward for at least a while . . .

ichabod @ichabod

@puroandson  (I’ve missed your incisive prose so waving ‘halloo’ at you) and otters…

Ha!  Otters are not here!  You’re stuck with US!

Thanks for halloo, though.  And waves.

Ichi

Missy @missy

@puroandson

Pudding brains, or clotpoles?

Let’s just put it down to “no taste.” and leave it at that.

Welcome home.

Regards,

Missy

Anonymous @

@puroandson

All three sound good. At the risk of sounding like an alcoholic, I’ve recently finished off a wonderful 16 year single malt scotch called Tomintoul which I’d highly recommend, and a bottle of delicious Bulleit bourbon. However my favourite Australian red, Wolf Blass yellow label shiraz, has been unavailable in the UK for quite some time, a loss comparable to the rumoured impending exit of Mr Cap-AL-di.

Focusing on some of the optimistic aspects of a Moffat-free Who, I do hope Chibnall widens the writing pool a little. Moffat was starting to, but he did seem a little averse to straying far from the same old personalities.

I also hope he affords his writers more creative control than Moffat did. There are exceptions, such as the wonderful Mummy on the Orient Express, but I generally think the show benefits when the writers are allowed to write the best Who episode they can, rather than write to the spec of the head writer. And the sheer amount of screen time required to implement Moffat’s arcs (while I appreciate that they are the father and mother of this very site) did rather hamper variety at times.

Does anyone happen to know which of Chibnall’s episodes were commissioned and which were his own ideas? That might give some impression of what is to come. After all, that Moffat’s tenure was preoccupied with timey-wimey plots and River Song was, in hindsight, rather signposted during RTD’s tenure…

DoctorDani @doctordani

@pedant S10 will be interesting but I hope, if Gallifrey features at all, it will be sparingly and with a tightly focussed narrative purpose – exactly like it was in Hell Bent. The moment Doctor Who starts getting bogged down in its own lore is the moment it starts to spiral.

Yup, totally understand what you mean here, BUT I’m itching for Moffat to pop the bonnet on Twelve and root around a little more. Capaldi’s too good an actor to resist the possibility and Gallifrey is too enticing a means of doing that now it’s ‘back in the sky’. I’m absolutely fine with it being sparingly used, but until then that part of ‘Hell Bent’, which is otherwise a damn fine ep, will feel like a part of jigsaw puzzle I don’t have all the other pieces to. I dare say I’d admire the ep even more if we find out it was just a crumb dropped by Moffat before an even bigger reveal in the future, in the same way that Clara grabbing the Doctor’s leg when he was just a boy in ‘Listen’ now seems all the more poignant and important. I often go back back and find I like eps twice as much after I give them a little space to breathe. Come to think of it, nothing with Missy has been resolved either, so surely there’s scope there too?

@puroandson I suspect, though, that the Stupids have won and want all episodes to be like Blink or The Family of Blood. I loved them actually -Paul Cornell did a pretty good job in that Human Nature two parter. Mainly, though, the Doctor ran, cried, sobbed, snogged and talked (fast). All in no particular order. I’ve adored Capaldi’s neat and focussed Doctor. Others maybe haven’t and I’m fine with that. Well, actually I want to kill them but the better half of the Hybrid aint in so I’m posting this anyway.

I did a proper belly laugh when I read this, even though I suspect I might be one of the ‘Stupids’. Seriously though, I’m not looking for more exposition. Just more depth. I’m starting to think that half my problem with ‘Hell Bent’ is that it came after ‘Heaven Sent’, which not only sealed the deal about Twelve becoming my fave, but was an absolute, unequivocal masterpiece and pretty much anything was going to feel like an anti-climax next to it.

@doctordani

’m starting to think that half my problem with ‘Hell Bent’ is that it came after ‘Heaven Sent’, which not only sealed the deal about Twelve becoming my fave, but was an absolute, unequivocal masterpiece and pretty much anything was going to feel like an anti-climax next to it.

I think the key is to look at S9 as a whole, rather than as a set of episodes. There’s nothing in Hell Bent that wasn’t carefully set up, either directly or through metaphor.

@craig – I think we need a new News forum!

Missy @missy

@janetteb

We can but hope, and hope, and hope, and……………………….

Cheers,

Missy

Kharis @kharis

@pedant couldn’t agree more!

@puroandson @doctordani and @janetteb YES!

This quote:

I suspect, though, that the Stupids have won and want all episodes to be like Blink or The Family of Blood. I loved them actually -Paul Cornell did a pretty good job in that Human Nature two parter. Mainly, though, the Doctor ran, cried, sobbed, snogged and talked (fast). All in no particular order. I’ve adored Capaldi’s neat and focussed Doctor. Others maybe haven’t and I’m fine with that. Well, actually I want to kill them but the better half of the Hybrid aint in so I’m posting this anyway.

LOL!  There would be some Forum quote Hall of Fame.  🙂

I need to rant after reading the recent Doctor Who rumor. Emma Watson?

Okay, here it is, I prefer the Doctor as a man. He is best as the instigator, not a creator, as proven by ME/Ashildr and many other attempts. His creations go wrong. He is not a female figure at the core of what continues as his intrinsic qualities throughout each regeneration. The Master made perfect sense; always trying to create, gestate worlds and ideas, for good or bad, usually bad unfortunately. The Doctor is the Yang compliment to the Master’s Ying, and the Master has always been Yin. The Doctor’s positive Yin compliment is River. NO, please don’t change the Doctor’s sex to keep with pop culture and political correctness, it really doesn’t fit in this case.

The Doctor is the archetype of the Yang hero. I feel that since the show is based on regeneration he needs to keep more than his memories each regeneration, but also intrinsic characteristics at the core of his actions. Otherwise, the theory of regeneration loses a lot of validity to me. If he is a sentient being then the Doctor most have a core that is unchanging to a degree. This is why the Master regenerating into Missy makes sense, because his core actions through the show are almost entirely Yin, his good and bad choices. It was changing the paradigm brilliantly.

Same with the Doctor, his choices, good and bad have mostly been through the Yang archetype. Part of his development has been to control his negative Yang tendencies, but I would feel that it is very ineffective to show the success of this inner battle by simply changing him to a female. It’s too easy and gimmicky for me personally.

janetteB @janetteb

@kharis The media will go mad speculating about the new Doctor even though there has been no indication to date that Capaldi will not stay on for at least one series under Chibbers so “don’t panic”. Though she is no doubt far to high profile I think Emma Watson would be a fantastic choice for companion, even as a one off in that episode that Peter Jackson is going to direct before S.M. departs. (the last is pure wishful thinking on my part BTW but I if he is ever to direct an episode and the man himself has hinted that he might, I suspect it will be Moffat’s swansong.)

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@morpho

I’ve recently finished off a wonderful 16 year single malt scotch called Tomintoul which I’d highly recommend,

Have you bought another? I might chip in and share some as I just had a ‘peevish puro’ outburst whilst On The Sofa!

@janetteb @kharis

Ah, I was reading your post and thinking “ah huh, yep, good….hang on…back up….Peter Jackson directing an ep of Who?”

Really? When you say “wishful thinking” is that an actual wish or a confirmed wish? 🙂

Coz whenever Jackson directs anything it’s usually pretty expensive! Re-reading your post, Janette, it seems like an unconfirmed wish? But, hey, I’d be on board! 🙂

I agree regarding Emma Watson (from Harry Potter and also an Aus movie, I think?) as a companion -but Kharis there are rumours she’d be a good Doctor? Really? Okaaay then.

Watson has personality in spades, and, probably compared with the youngish members of that troupe of actors in HP, she’s deemed the one most likely to succeed further in acting. So I’ve read.

@kharis “the stupids” comment. I must retract that  🙂  I don’t want it becoming a ‘thing.’ I don’t wanna be modded off! And Son, who hasn’t seen that, might conclude it’s “most unlike me” (*ahem*, yeah right). I like the point you made about the gimmicky nature of what some people might add are female ‘tendencies’ or feminine ‘styles’  -it’s interesting and one, perhaps for the Pub or the Sofa.

Hmmm

Kindest, Puro

<pond-erring ducks>

Arbutus @arbutus

@kharis        You make an interesting point. I myself am a bit less than enthusiastic about a female Doctor, but I accept that it may happen sooner than later, and I’m certainly not going to freak out or abandon the show (unless I just don’t enjoy the person chosen, I suppose, but that could equally apply to a male choice). But what I like about your remarks is that you outline a clear and (to me) interesting reason for why this particularly Time Lord should, in your view, stay male. If only everyone that had an objection about the choices of showrunners could be so articulate! What we usually get is “The Doctor is male. End of discussion.”    🙂

Personally, I hope that whoever is chosen (male or female), it isn’t someone who is so strongly associated with another role that it is hard to get past. (Hypocritical, I suppose, as that was some people’s objection to Peter Capaldi, but not being British, I never saw The Thick of It, so to me, he was an actor I had seen in a few roles here and there, rather than one major one.) But as @janetteb says, we have no way of knowing for sure whether we are getting Capaldi for one or two more series anyway, so I refuse to worry about that issue until I have to!

Kharis @kharis

@arbutus I agree, I think the show has done best when they pick an unknown actor.  Matt Smith is a perfect example, HE WAS THE DOCTOR, and no one had even heard of him.  My wish for the show is that Peter Capaldi stays on for another four years at least.  The chemistry between Capaldi and River was brilliant,  I wish they could have a whole season of their adventures together.  The loss of Moffat was hard enough, but Capaldi too?  It’s really too brutal for a fan to face a year without Who followed by the loss of Moffat and Capaldi.  I think the patient fans deserve a few more years of Capaldi.

Missy @missy

@kharis. I couldn’t agree more. What a treat to have Peter Capaldi for another four years – oh the joy of it!

Thing is, he did say that he’d stay as long as DW had the current writers.

All we can hope, is that as he loves being the Doctor so much, he might change his mind.

Cheers in hope,

Miss

Missy @missy

@puroandson

For my part, I’m not just ‘less than enthusiastic’ about a female Doctor, I don’t want a female Doctor.

Should it be inevitable, definitely not Maisie williams. Unlikely as she’s supposed to be imortal – not a Time Lord.

As for PJ making an episode, he goes in for flippin’ epics – not happy Jan.

Cheers,

Missy

@kharis

I need to rant after reading the recent Doctor Who rumor. Emma Watson?

Always bear in mind the distinction between “rumour” and “something some fantasist pluck from his bottom”.

Setting aside that Watson is probably beyond the Who budget, her ambitions currently lie a way beyond UK Telly(1). Emily Watson on the other hand…

Just don’t see the argument against a female Doctor. They all strike me as special pleading. In the past I’ve suggested Gina Belman (with whom Moffat has worked on Coupling) and (only partially in jest) Felicia Day. But there are many who could pull it off, and any listen to the Forgotten Superheroes Of Science segment of The Skeptics Guide to The Universe shows they are nearly all women.

Peter Jackson

Another example of a passing, made in jest, comment becoming a rumour.

@puroandson

“the stupids” comment. I must retract that

Nope. If the glove fits, convict.

(1) Mind you, if all she had done was her speech to the UN General Assembly, her entire life would have been worthwhile.

janetteB @janetteb

@Puroandson @kharis and @missy. It has often been talked of P.J directing an episode given that he and S.M are friends “an’ all”. Not so long ago, and I know there is a link somewhere up thread or in spoilers he posted a video on his Facebook where he pretended to be fending off call from S.M. Peter might be a great director but he cannot act, at all. Peter Capaldi delivers a letter to P.J from Moffat. It was clearly done while P.C and S.M were doing their world trip. P.J also had a bookmarked copy of The Silmarillian in front of him which was clearly simply a “tease” for fans as the Tolkien family guard the rights to that as determinedly as Smaug guarded his gold. Oh and P.J is not surprisingly a long time Who fan which has his own pet Dalek.

Missy, I would expect that most of the current writers will continue under Chibbers. Moffat took on RTDs writing team. I also rather hope that Moffat will continue to pen the occasional episode. He will also be helming the spin off series, or so I believe so won’t be leaving the “Whoinverse”. (has that fallen through? I have not heard any news about it for a while.)

cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@missy

For my part, I’m not just ‘less than enthusiastic’ about a female Doctor, I don’t want a female Doctor.

Really? OK.. I’d be in favour of one! But that’s me.  And @arbutus I think – her arguments and others’ would mean the role would have to be superbly cast and appropriate in every way for the ‘gimmicky’ approach to be avoided. We wouldn’t that trap.

Missy, you mentioned “PJ” -at 1st I hadn’t  a  clue! I realised you meant Jackson -but as a director, he would have to restrain himself to the ‘confines’ of the writer -no epics then! Still, this past season had a marvellous epic feel to it which was ‘masterminded’ by vari0us writers …liked it. On another ‘note’ I kinda liked Lord of the Rings -compared with The Hobbit. 🙂

Kindest, Puro (g’night all)

DoctorDani @doctordani

If we do have a female doctor, it’ll hinge entirely on the casting and the writing gelling with the actress as to whether or not it’ll work. I’m not against it at all, but I reckon whoever they cast would have to have nerves of steel and a strong aversion to reading the comments section in the Daily Mail, because there will be a backlash. In all honesty, it might be too risky a proposition for a lot of actresses out there, which is incredibly sad in this day and age.

nerys @nerys

Well, I’m late to this party. Doctor Who is no longer available on Netflix? I’m glad I did some reviewing between “Hell Bent” and the Christmas special. I guess that means I’d better save the episodes I recorded on my DVR.

@nerys @puroandson @doctordani

new News forum guys http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/dr-who-news-4/

@jimthefish – can this be locked?

Missy @missy

@janetteb

I saw that clip. PC was most amusing – as usual – and you are right, PJ can’t act for toffee! It would be something to look forward to should SM still write the odd episode, not that I have anything against CC.
    Neil Gaiman would be a pleasant entrant too. The Doctor’s Wife amongst my favourites.

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

@puroandson

Oh dear! did you really like LOTR? Much too noisy for me.
    As for The Hobbit, the library supplied a copy free, and it was so boring.
    The Doctor has always been a male and, for my part, I like it that way.

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

@doctordani

I do understand, and am usually up for trying something new. But I am of the view that if a thing isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Cheers

Missy

Missy @missy

@nerys

If you can afford it, why not buy them? That way you get all the specials too.

Cheers,

Missy

Kharis @kharis

@janetteb  I had no idea Moffat was going to be a part of the spin-off series, what wonderful news.  (:

@missy Completely agree.

@puroandson and @doctordani  Yes, the actress would have to be incredible.

@pedant I didn’t believe the rumor, it was my annoyance that people are throwing out names, even silly names, almost all of them female, and seem to be ready to let Capaldi go without a fight.  I adore Capaldi, and he isn’t gone yet, but the way everyone is pretend casting all over the internet, you would think he is.  I find it disrespectful of these bloggers to be burying him before the body is even pronounced dead.

As for the idea of a female Dcotor, I’m not pleading as much as the idea doesn’t work for me because of my view on regeneration and intrinsic qualities.  The Master and the Doctor in my opinion are archetypes in the Whoniverse and as I said above I feel that the Doctor throughout his regeneration has represented the traditional Yang Magician and the Master the Yin High Priestess, and I would have said that about the Master before he became Missy.  That’s why the regeneration of the Master was brilliant to me, and not at all gimmicky or pushing boundaries for the sake of pushing boundaries. If I felt that the Doctor regenerating into a woman made sense for his character I would be all for it, but I don’t see that.  Romana as Roman I can see, the Master as Missy, absolutely.  I tend to like contrast, but also balance and chemistry.  I think at some point there will be a writer who runs out of ideas and has a block, and imagine an easy way to freshen things up and create a buzz would be changing the Doctor to a woman, so I except the inevitable, but I don’t think it’s a good choice for the character.  It is my desire to see integrity in the writing and a clean continuation of the beautifully designed Whoinverse.

Anonymous @

@missy

Oh dear! did you really like LOTR? Much too noisy for me.
    As for The Hobbit, the library supplied a copy free, and it was so boring.

I never mentioned I liked The Hobbit. But others might, so you may have found it boring. That’s fine.

And yes, dear I did like Lord of the Rings, actually. Again, just my opinion -and plenty of others. 🙂 It wasn’t just noise to me.

Kindest,

Puro Solo.

Viewing 29 posts - 1,001 through 1,029 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (3)’ is closed to new replies.