Doctor Who news

Home Forums General Doctor Who news

This topic contains 920 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 921 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop

No rules on number of years, depends on a lot of factors, mostly external. eg the actor getting lucrative offers elsewhere or just feeling they’ve done as much as they can with the character.

Oh, and my sympathies to all of you for whom this is the first regeneration – it’s always a toughie

overunder @jamesunderscore

Such bittersweet news.  Sad because I think Matt has been my favorite doctor, but exciting because now we’ll get to see him doing other things, which is always good, and we get a new doctor, and SIX MONTHS of bonkers theorising over who it’s gonna be, and how it’s gonna happen so we’ll have plenty to talk about!

Anonymous @
    ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks for the link @Shazzbot

The Telegraph are doing well – they’ve also got this really nice tribute article about Matt  (Just don’t read the comments! Makes the G commenters look like ickle kittens!)

Timeloop @timeloop

@scaryb Yeah I was not too serious about that. But of of them stayed 3 years, right?

Not my first regeneration to watch but a regeneration I would have hoped to be later rather than sooner. Turns out the speculation that he would not stay much longer because he has reached everything he could reach is sadly true.

ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop I think most of us on here would rather he’d stayed longer. Even @htpbdet was considering an S!!

thommck @thommck

Was a bit cross when I saw @craig post this news about Matt, I’d rather not have known. Then this morning I heard it on the radio, saw it on the newspaper front pages even my wife said she knew from her Facebook! So pretty unavoidable I guess.

I felt with Amy out of the picture we were finally seeing Matt as THE DOCTOR even though he was channeling past regenerations half the time.

I guess the obvious choice is John Hurt but he’ll be to expensive, maybe Clara but that is too timey wimey, so someone new. A regeneration is always epic no matter what actually happens so it will be great to watch 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

Dick n Dom’s Delia Derbyshire show is on CBBC now!

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thommck I have the unfortunate position of possibly, occasionally, facing the wrath of some members. I’m sorry I made you a bit cross, but I made sure it was all over the mainstream news before I posted. I would never post spoilers here (in the sense of something that is not mainstream news and is avoidable).

And as you discovered, it was big news!

Anonymous @

Hi everybody, tomorrow We have the Launch of Doctor Who Series 7 in Italy!!!
    You can follow the channel Rai4 on Twitter : https://twitter.com/RaiQuattro
    And using all day the hashtag #DoctorWho 

fixed

wolfweed @wolfweed

New toy ad preview…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – that Clara figurine certainly has had a few pie ‘n chips since filming her series, hasn’t she? 🙂

chickenelly @chickenelly

Short news story on JLC’s reaction to Matt’s departure: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22813229

chickenelly @chickenelly
    Anonymous @

@chickenelly — I quite like Rory Kinnear but I just can’t see him as the Doctor somehow. Maybe it’s just his general slap-headedness. It always seems to me that at least one criterion for being the Doctor is to have a fairly luxuriant head of hair…

chickenelly @chickenelly

@jimthefish

I like Rory Kinnear too, but I’m not sure if he’s got the ‘leading man’ quality that the last two Doctors had.

After the floppy-fringedness of Matt, a slap-headed Doctor would be a change.  I’d still go for Toby Jones though, but he’s probably too busy.

ScaryB @scaryb

I keep mis-reading Rory Kinnear as Roy Kinnear… it’s very offputting!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I really rate Rory Kinnear as an actor – but he doesn’t read ‘the Doctor’ to me. Now John Hurt – he was an immediate ‘oh, yes, definitely’ reaction.

Of course, other possibilities include the reporter making it up or the start of a BBC disinformation campaign.

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

other possibilities include the reporter making it up… BBC disinformation campaign

😯

Surely not….?!

John Hurt is 1 of the stand out actors of his generation IMHO. I was bowled over when I realised it was the same actor in I Claudius (Calligula (definitely “not in the name of the Dr”!)), Naked Civil Servant, Alien and Elephant Man.  I would happily watch him in anything!

His one scene in NotD nailed it in a line and not just cos you’re thinking “that’s John Hurt!!!!

<wishing really REALLY HARD that his notDr reforms somehow and is brought back into the fold to be the Dr properly>

Whisht @whisht

I’m with @scaryb – I keep thinking “wouldn’t Roy Kinnear be a good idea…?”

;¬p

In all honesty, I think he was always brilliant as the man-a-bit-out-of-his-depth (in pretty much everything he did). Equally scheming and small minded, but with massive amounts of sympathy. And I’d loved to have seen him bounce off Cribbens if he had had a role (and not sadly passed away obviously).

Also agree, Hurt could read the phonebook and make me cry.
    I did have a moment of “Winston Smith” when he uttered the lines, but I will forgive anything.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

@$100 just for joy of owning this exclusive cover, most of us won’t be adding this IDW comic (vol 3 #9 Gamestop version) to our collections.

Great art, though.
    idw ex

Source: http://onegemini.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/im-back-on-doctor-whosorta.html

wolfweed @wolfweed

Various Who aprons available here: http://mightymega.com/2013/06/12/doctor-who-4th-doctor-apron/
    apr
    Also, you can buy Brigadier T-Shirts from the BBC now. Whatever next? Brilliant, though.
    Okay, I’m going to stop now, as this is just turning into ‘Who – The Adverts’…

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed, love the ads. There’s a massive amount of Who merch out there at the moment, much of it so-so (anything coloured a vaguely Tardis shade of blue), but some of it’s amusing – like your aprons, and these Skarobucks mugs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330934657032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (and no bidding till I’ve bought mine, LOL).

LOL’d at Sun story – the wait proving too much for some people! (Going to wash now haha)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@scaryb

If you can imagine a Who product, it’s likely to already exist. Exhibit 3:
    pant

Available to purchase from here:

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/70172724/doctor-who-river-song-hello-sweetie?ref=market

wolfweed @wolfweed

Jamie Payne (the director of ‘Hide’) is confirmed as the director of the 2013 Xmas Special.
    ms r

wolfweed @wolfweed
    chickenelly @chickenelly

Oh, please God no. Haven’t we suffered enough:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22937739

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

For the sake of sanity, can we keep the next Doctor speculation stories to the Next Doctor thread?

All comments have been moved to it.

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-next-doctor/page/9/

chickenelly @chickenelly

@phaseshift

Oops, sorry.  Forgot all about that thread (distracted by Talons, etc).  However in mitigation technically it was a ‘news’ story although admittedly the source (The Sun) can only loosely described a newspaper.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

IDW vol 3 #10 cover revealed…
    idw 3 10

Craig @craig
    Emperor

If you have a lot of spare cash you can bid on having tea with Matt Smith, all in the aid of 2 autism charities.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/s7/doctor-who/news/a491961/doctor-whos-matt-smith-auctions-ritz-afternoon-tea-date-for-charity.html

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

The BBC have released a short video of Matt Smith thanking various people, including the fans for his time on the show.

Anonymous @

Hi @phaseshift – I saw that earlier today.  What a nice hommage to Bob Dylan.  Although I did wonder about the lack of traffic on the street, until Matt explained that it was the morning after a night shift.

(Only way it could be improved, is to have the guys in the background in the Dylan video looking the same way here ‘You expect me to clean this sh*t up?!’  🙂 )

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift

That warmed my cockles…

m s m

ScaryB @scaryb

If Matt had that haircut as the Dr they’d have been calling him “The Ears” rather than the Chin 😉 Nice vid tho

wolfweed @wolfweed

Charlotte Moore to oversee Dr Who 50th celebrations.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-26/charlotte-moore-confirmed-as-new-bbc1-boss

Will we see the Doctor jump out of another cake, come November?

chickenelly @chickenelly
    Anonymous @

@chickenelly – while the whole show as described sounds delightful, this is the penultimate sentence of that article:

The play is likely to be one of Smith’s last appearances as Doctor Who, as his character will regenerate in a TV Christmas special

Oh, really?  Is that it then?  I thought it was still open for bonkers theorising(tm) whether the regeneration is part of the 50th or at Christmas.  Did I miss the memo?

@Shazzbot – I suspect the reporter is simply going off Matt Smith’s frequent statements that he’s booked until the Christmas Special, and presuming that this means he’s regenerating in the said Christmas Special.

Whereas I’m sure that, if we put our minds to it, we could come up with Ten Bonkers Theories about how Eleven could regenerate in the 50th but still be in the Christmas Special…

Bonkers Theory One: Eleven is keeping a back up copy of himself in that fob watch he’s been (presumably) wearing since The Snowmen. He regenerates in the 50th – but the back-up copy plays a role in the Christmas Special in the same way River’s copy was an important character in The Name otD.

wolfweed @wolfweed

The Dr Who Proms are on the 13th & 14th of July

Notice in this ad it’s not the Smith TARDIS…

@wolfweed – That could simply be a case of ‘Drat! Wrong CGI TARDIS!’

That happened in Time of Angels, I believe.

Alternatively, it could mean that Smith’s Doctor is no longer The-Doctor-in-the-TARDIS. His TARDIS is now dying on Trenzalore.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed @bluesqueakpip – how on earth did you see the difference in the Tardis in that clip?!  Was it the lack of a broken upper window?  From wolfweed’s original comment, I was expecting an interior shot.

@Shazzbot – the St John’s insignia is missing.

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 921 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who news’ is closed to new replies.