Doctor Who news

Home Forums General Doctor Who news

This topic contains 920 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 921 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

Hi All – what y’all are saying about the vituperousness of the common-or-garden Guardian Commenter is what makes me nervous about inserting all those come-hither looks pointing at this site.

Although, to be fair, it’s what brought me to this site (although I haven’t commented there in yonks) and apparently a few others, so I can’t be too down on the marketing technique.  I’d be interested, though, @craig – without naming names/monikers, have you had to turn anyone away at the door up until now?  (notwithstanding the current moratorium on new members until after tomorrow’s episode)

I also wonder how many people followed a link to here from the G, had a look around, and decided ‘they’re all as bonkers as a bathtub full of fishes!’ and hightailed it back to the comfortingly sharp edges and plangent mooing of disapproving voices they like so much at the G.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Yeees, true @jimthefish that Tinker Tailor was out 30 years ago, but I hadn’t seen it.  Besides the next day the Beeb stuck a big ‘spoiler’ warning on the web article probably as a result of lots of complaints.  Bit late for me who had clicked through only to be confronted with a large picture of ****insert image of award winning British actor, here****

S8 officially commissioned to air in either Spring or Autumn 2014 (I suspect the delay was all part of the fever-whipping).

ScaryB @scaryb

Wee news article by Stephen Moffat on the Graun. Made a sooky comment and invited him in! 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

This is Olds now,but we have been in Lockdown for a week. BAFTA interview. No spoilers.

ardaraith @ardaraith

Official announcement of the new series from the BBC.

wezz @wezz

Behind the scenes of the 50th anniversary special!

ScaryB @scaryb

For info – TV Choice Awards long list anounced. Voted for by the public there’s a link on the link. Best Actor category includes Matt, Tennant, John Simm and Derek Jacobi (amongst some talented others)

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/smith-vs-tennant-in-tv-choice-awards-49691.htm

Timeloop @timeloop

“Later this year the BBC also premieres An Adventure in Space and Time, the brilliant drama written by Mark Gatiss that looks at the genesis of Doctor Who. If this video location report is anything to go by, we’re in for a memorable insight into the show’s origins.”

thommck @thommck

the @BBCDoctorWho twitter account just revealed that tomorrow there will be a new Strax field report about the Doctor’s greatest secret!

Also, there is a Dick & Dom show on iPlayer about Delia Derbyshire, the woman who synthesised the Doctor Who theme http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qy0b5/Absolute_Genius_with_Dick_and_Dom_Derbyshire/

wolfweed @wolfweed

dwm 13

The cover of the forthcoming DWM 461.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

Oh dear, please let Mark Gatiss be having a snark …

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2013/may/29/doctor-who-roger-moore-mark-gatiss

“In the age of social networking, it may not take much to land a spot in one of Britain’s biggest TV hits. But it also helps if you’re an established star, as former James Bond actor Sir Roger Moore found out after Doctor Who co-creator Mark Gatiss tweeted a compliment about one of his film roles. The Sun reports that Moore tweeted: “Thank you, I might be equally wonderful in Doctor Who or Sherlock if asked!” To which Gatiss replied: “My life is complete! Will be in touch.”  “

CraigNixon @craignixon

Gah. I hope he doesn’t fit him in.
    Never liked Roger Moore as an actor

ScaryB @scaryb

Roger Moore – ah, bless. Not a fan of his acting style, but he did it well 🙂 And I presume he’s a fan rather than being desperate for work! (Hopefully Gatiss was just being nice back. OTOH it’s in the Sun – so accuracy quotient likely to be around zero 😉 )

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Looks like the BBC’s slow climb to the 50th Anniversary has started.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

Mark Gatiss co-created Doctor Who?  He’s still looking spritely then considering the show is about to turn 50!  Well done Gruniad.

ScaryB @scaryb

Nice link @bluesqueakpip. Lovely interview with McCoy.  He comes over really well, although the interviewer is very much of the “I’ve got my questions written down and that’s what I’m going to ask” school. Love  Cartmel’s description of him as being a “cross between Richard Burton and Bugs Bunny”

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – from your link:

1) “Doctor Who in the 1980s may not have won awards, but behind the latex and laser guns, there were some bold ideas fighting to be heard.”

2) “scripts were more sophisticated, exploring race and sexual identity, and passing critical comment on 1980s Britain.”

I’m yearning for our friend @htpbdet to complete his Doctor anthology – not least for what it means to his recovery – and because I would like to hear his thoughts on the transition of the programme from we-don’t-know-if-it-will-work, to, a-comment-on-social-mores.

@osakahatter – well spotted!  The G has obviously decided – DanMartinUK ‘s ‘classic episodes’ blogs notwithstanding – that Doctor Who began in 2005.

Anonymous @

PS:  thanks @wolfweed for the DVD extra.  Oh how I miss Confidential!  Does anyone here know if that was a victim of BBC budget cuts?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@Shazzbot – yes. The choice was apparently between an episode of Doctor Who (i.e. cut down to a twelve episode series), or Confidential.

ScaryB @scaryb

This is fun – Dalek movie posters 🙂 ( @wolfweed – ha! you’ve probably seen these already)

ScaryB @scaryb

Poor John Simm getting a hard time after a recent Radio Times interview. This is the Guardian report – what’s more concerning is the CiFs – a lot of people seem to expect that if an actor signs up for something like Dr Who they should expect to be on call 24/7 and be damn grateful for it. The odd bit of irony but not as much as you’d expect. Sheesh, don’t they know that’s what celebs* are for!

*celebrities, actors = 2 very different things

Anonymous @

@scaryb – in the comments on that John Simm G article, someone says that Simm has tweeted that the interview referred to is at least a year old, that his quotes were taken out of context, and that this is exactly why he doesn’t do print interviews any more.

Good ol’ G, trying to create page-clicks again.

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot I know, and they’ve even made 2 articles out of a non-story. To be fair they’re by far from the only ones (it’s the top Dr Who news story on Google). Did you click on the dalek movie posters btw (#11321, just above) – they’re fun 🙂

Anonymous @

@scaryb – The G has really changed over the past couple of years – and that John Simm thing is indicative of why I get depressed about those changes (assuming the commenter talking about the tweets is correct).  It’s like an old friend who has become a not-so-nice person.   {sigh}

Yes, I did like your Dalek posters!  I’m grateful for people who posts things like that here, because I don’t really go to any other Who-related sites (except the BBC).  So please keep bringing those kinds of things over to our forum! 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

Must be a slow news day – proof that working on Dr Who drives you bonkers (or maybe vice versa) – vid clip of Frances Barber (Kovarian) and Mark Gatiss as Bette Davis and Joan Crawford (Psychobitches)  The lipstick bill alone must have been a small fortune!

wolfweed @wolfweed

s Coming soon…

wolfweed @wolfweed

riv
    (It’s tomorrow!)

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – I’ve obviously missed that detail … why is 31 May River Song Day?  (not that I need an excuse.  I absolutely love her character.)

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot 31 – 5 – 2008  date of first broadcast of siTL

So what happens on RiverSongDay @wolfweed 🙂 ?

Timeloop @timeloop

Omg, They really dive into it, but I love it ! What can we expect?

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Timeloop @timeloop

Meh, kind of a let-down.

wolfweed @wolfweed

riv nud
    @timeloop – It isn’t a National Holiday yet, I’m afraid. Feel free to celebrate the day, though.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Yes it’s proper news, but thanks to everyone for keeping it in the spoilers topic until now.

From the BBC

Matt Smith to leave Doctor Who at the end of year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Oh and can I just say…

Pouty face

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I’m sad hearing this news. But that is good. Sadness at the end of a Doctor is a sign of true success. My gods, Matt Smith made the Doctor his role, on his own terms with an uncompromising turn, with an uncompromising showrunner. Bewilildering and enticing tales of a Time Lord.

What more can you ask for? Hope he has massive success in the future. He’s been brilliant.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

The Sunday Times has this terrible headline on its front page:

Sexterminate! Doctor Who may come back as a woman

It then goes on to reveal that “Informed sources at the BBC suggest that his successor might be a woman.”

That’s “informed” for you… might!

Would be cool if we did get a female Doctor though 😀

Tiddler @tiddler

Can’t remember where, but I’m sure I read somewhere that Helen Mirren had said she’d love to do it.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

My goodness. What alarming news to wake up to in the colonies. Like most of us on this site, I think Matt Smith was truly brilliant. An actor who could project age and wisdom beyond his years, who could jump from humour to anger to whimsy to sadness in a seamless and convincing way, and an actor who successfully managed to bridge old and nu Who in his portrayal of the Doctor. I know that others will give him more dedicated reflection and admiration on these pages in the coming days and weeks. For now, and from me, he was the Doctor who brought the magic back to the show that I had not felt since my childhood experience of Hartnell in the 60s.

But the future! Who will be the new Doctor? I know we will all have an opinion. Part of Matt’s strength was that he could run and jump as fast as the frentic pace Moffat has imposed on the show demanded . Clearly, an older actor could not do that, but part of me would love to see an older actor as the Doctor again. Someone like…well, Bill Nighy or David Warner, for example. Yes, I know they have already appeared, but then there has been examples of recent companions who have appeared and then…re-appeared.  And who knows how the devious mind of Steven Moffat works.

So, @craig. Perhaps a new page for us to speculate on…”The next Doctor?”

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave Great idea. Done! Link on Home page added too… Let the speculation begin.

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-next-doctor/

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave @craig

Perhaps a new page for us to speculate on…”The next Doctor?”

This really demands to be done, don’t you think?

For now, and from me, he was the Doctor who brought the magic back to the show that I had not felt since my childhood experience of Hartnell in the 60s.

This is massively supportive for me. I have posted my eulogy to Tom Baker on the Faces thread. I’m pre-empting myself, but I have to confess that Smith has overtaken Tom in my eyes as the Doctor. He’s become the Doctor for me, and I think that is the biggest compliment I can pay him. I once had pity for the person who would replace David, ahem Who? Smith is really going to be hard to follow in my eyes.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig

You’re on form tonight! I need to do some thinking now about nominations!

Timeloop @timeloop

First River – now this, a low blow for me that is. But I guess people have felt like this about other Doctors before… ='( *trying to be positive* Well – I for one will appreciate the left episodes even more than I would have. And we can assume the Doctor only can get both of them out of the time-stream by sacrificing himself….?
    How long did Matt stay? 3 years? Same as David then? Is that the new rule? *wonky on the numbers*

Timeloop @timeloop

From the BBC “We’ll have exclusive quotes from Jenna on this site tomorrow and a special video from Matt – coming soon!”

FishComBobulated @fishcombobulated

I’m looking forward to the video, which I can only imagine must be a difficult task to make as it is really a direct message to fans by Matt Smith who has only just announced his departure. That’s integrity.

Now that I’ve had some time to decompress, I’m left fantasizing about, say, ten years from now, that a “lost season of Smith as the Eleventh Doctor” is found in some cupboard or another at the BBC. Even if all the other current production elements were stripped (budget, actors, writers, prop and wardrobe, etc.), I still would love to see Smith have some further videographic adventures as the Doctor. That I only wish to see him more, regardless of any other production circumstances is a testament to his success in the role and the longevity of his contribution. (And who knows, maybe some cheeky future showrunner will produce some “lost Eleventh Doctor episodes” come the time of the 60th anniversary! And perhaps it’s about time the TARDIS had some pre-recorded holograms of one of the Doctors to play for future companions in case of emergency, and wouldn’t it be fun if they were all dated from one specific era, like Smith’s?)

janetteB @janetteb

Nooooooooooo. I’ve just seen the headline and I need a shoulder to cry on. I seriously hoped that Matt would give us at least another series.

Not happy,

Janette.

ScaryB @scaryb

Woooooah! Just woke up to this – 2nd most popular news story on the BBC site!  Although a lot of things have been pointing towards it –  and many of us have been expecting it since this site opened. But…. 😥

I’m late catching up, so maybe this has already been posted, but I thought Matt’s statement was lovely, including this –

The fans of Doctor Who around the world are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show (and speculate more about the future of the show) in a way that I’ve never seen before.

😥 😥 😥

@janetteb you can borrow my shoulder if I can borrow yours!

@fishcombobulated (great name btw)

“lost season of Smith as the Eleventh Doctor”

What a lovely idea! Now that’s the problem with this “let’s leave gaps and hints that the Dr has more adventures than we see on screen” thing – it just encourages us to think that all these other adventures are out there, we just have to track down the recordings, haha. Maybe there’s a couple of the tenth as well… 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 921 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who news’ is closed to new replies.