Doctor Who news

Home Forums General Doctor Who news

This topic contains 920 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 921 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@phaseshift – yes, definitely a shout-out to Castrovalva. The breaking glass motif from Bells of St John also repeats.

The other thing is that there are Five Doctors (Davison was, of course the Fifth Doctor and was also in The Five Doctors) and two Claras. Which means that together, they make seven – for the seven Classic Doctors?

Anyone fancy checking for teeny tiny Doctors/Claras in case I’ve got the numerology wrong?

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift and @wolfweed – love these posters – thanks for uploading. Their retro feel is lovely for the 50th and an HG Wells reference for No 1 too. I’d have to choose the Nightmare in Silver poster as my fave – that Cyberman in motion and light is a thing of beauty.

ardaraith @ardaraith

Huffington Post in the US is reporting that Matt is leaving. Their source seems to be The Sun (not so reputable). Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

Never mind, this is old!  A friend just emailed it to me – aghast.  Please go back to your tea, now.  🙂

I personally don’t think Matt is leaving….unless, Clara is actually the next Doctor!!

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-canvas-print-clara-painting/

In this we can properly see: Footprints in the snow (maybe I just need a bigger telly?)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish

…adn thanks for the information on the Proms. I signed up to their newsletter so I could see what if there was one, and I still haven’t received it. Gah.

@bluesqueakpip

Excellent reasoning! Love it. I like the Castrovalva ref as I think it was the last time in the classic show a lot of time was spent in the Tardis (all that business with the Zero room).

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift – the Doctor Who Prom is happening on my birthday weekend and I want to go like burning – I think tickets are being released for sale some time in May but I reckon it’s going to be pretty tough to get them!

You can sign up with the Royal Festival Hall for an e-mail alert when tickets are released…

I just know it will be one of those once in a life-time events, in the 50th anniversary year and all…

Anyway, looking at the posters for images running through, we have:

Bells of St John. Two different posters, one with the Doctor on a motorbike, Clara behind and lots of broken glass. Another with the Doctor looking into a Spoonhead (ie a mirror), with Clara behind him.

Rings of Akhaten: there is a broken mirror behind the Doctor and Clara. The Doctor is facing SR (audience left) with screwdriver pointing downwards. Clara is SL (audience right) holding the leaf upwards. The screwdriver and the leaf form a diagonal.

Cold War: we’re looking through a porthole – which is cracked. The Doctor and Clara are behind the glass.

Hide: we can see the Doctor and Clara – but we can also see the ghostly images of some photos. Again, we might be looking at them through glass, or they may be a reflection. Clara is mirroring the Doctor – he has his sonic raised in his right hand, green light lit. She has the candelabra raised in her left hand, one candle at exactly the same height as the Doctor’s sonic. The lighting of the faces also mirrors – the Doctor’s lit from Stage Right, Clara Stage Left, and both have one side in shadow.

Journey to the Centre of the Tardis. Broken glass again. I’ve already mentioned that the number of Doctor’s and Clara’s (implying reflections) match with the Doctor representing the Fifth Doctor. If he’s playing the Fifth Doctor, Clara could be representing the two ‘future’ Classic Doctors after Davidson – or she could be representing the two assistants in Castrovalva, Adric having been captured by the Master.

Crimson Horror: I can’t see any glass, or any reflections/mirroring – except that Clara’s framed as if she’s in one of those Victorian glass bottles you kept plants in. But I can’t see that it is glass.

Nightmare in Silver: two planets/moons, mirroring. No actual glass or mirrors, but there is water.

And the uh, final poster has very definitely got glass – we’re looking through a broken window, in fact.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@phaseshift

Definitely a swimming pool and a library.

Some reference to the Time War.

A strange power room – perhaps related to the Eye of Harmony?

A place where different time zones meet?

Maybe an echo of the white space we saw in Mind Robber?

A bedroom.

A music room?

Perhaps some accoutrements of earlier Doctors?

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@bluesqueakpip Through the Looking Glass to dark doppleganger Doctor it is then 🙂

Maybe there are no watery portals or shattered mirrors in Crimson Horror because Victorian era Clara is not yet linked to the TARDIS/ Doctor/ Song pass-key matrix… (and we are, indeed, continuing to see episodes ‘out of order.

I am itching to return to the mysterious duck pond of the Eleventh Hour and find out it was a watery portal all along.

Please Moffat be that long-arc schemingly good…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I don’t think this qualifies as a spoiler, and probably doesn’t even qualify as news, as it comes from the Daily Star so shouldn’t be relied upon at all and should be taken with a huge pinch of salt, but it’s what I would do. I still think of Matt saying “Paintings” on Jonathan Ross. A gallery of Doctors?

DOCTOR Who bosses have boldly gone and copied Star Trek in a bid to bring back all the old Time Lords for the show’s 50th anniversary special.

Viewers will see Matt Smith, 30, mingle with all the actors from the previous BBC series, including the late William Hartnell and Jon Pertwee.

TV chiefs came up with the plan, thanks to fellow sci-fi smash Star Trek.

In 1996, the cast of spin-off series Deep Space Nine had an adventure with the original Enterprise crew Captain Kirk and Mr Spock (William Shatner, 82, and Leonard Nimoy, 82) as they looked in the 1960s.

The show used hi-tech wizardry to digitally insert the young stars from Deep Space Nine into old footage from an episode called The Trouble With Tribbles, which aired in 1967.

Now BBC bosses plan to do the same. In November’s TV special to mark 50 years of Doctor Who, fans will see the current Doctor come face to face with all of the former Doctors who include Tom Baker, 79, Colin Baker, 69, and Peter Davison, 62.

He will be “placed” into clips from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s to make it look as though he is really there and interacting with his old Time Lord selves.

Ex-Doctor Who star David Tennant, 42, is the only actor who will appear in the flesh in the episode.

And former show writer Robert Banks Stewart has let slip that as well as bringing back The Zygons, fans will see a carnival of monsters including Daleks and Cybermen.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/309945/Doctor-Who-go-all-Star-Trek-to-bring-back-the-old-Time-Lords/

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@craig – the problem with that idea is that star trek tos was recorded on film, and arguably looks better remastered than tng. (Certainly mixing old and new footage looks great, but even then, that was done on standard definition video, i don’t know if that ds9 show would stand up if it had been done in hd, or if remastered)

Doctor who though is mostly poor quality video tape (even the outside broadcast film suffers from poor cinematography because of budget constraints) and just looks awful. Intermixed with modern hd footage would just throw that into sharp relief. Oh and 2 docs are in b&w, and colouration never works.

In short, although technically feasible, I just don’t think you’d end up with footage that could be broadcastable in hd, let alone could be recast into 3d (a process which requires hd quality original footage).

If anything, you’d be more successful filming the original actors in new hd footage and re-ageing them with cgi, as attempted in the last x-men movie. And that looked pants.

I think the star just went trawling blog speculation for some ideas for copy. Probably us! (hello star journos!)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@haveyoufedthefish Totally agree, I do a lot of video and photo manipulation and it would be almost impossible to get old Who into HD 3D quality. As I said, that report should be taken with a pinch of salt.

However…

If I was going to do it, I’d just use heads (I do seem to spend a tonne of my time putting heads on different bodies) or even just faces. I’d take all the best close-ups I could get, then use them in mid-shot or long-shot on someone else’s body. Then you might, might just get away with it.

PhileasF @phileasf

@craig, I could imagine them not even attempting to make it look like ‘modern’ Doctor Who, but making Matt Smith’s interactions with the former Doctors resemble the old episodes. A sufficiently clever writer could come up with a reason to explain why the world suddenly looks like a low-resolution video copy of a telerecording of an old TV show. Perhaps the interactions with former Doctors would be seen on low-quality monitors. Perhaps they would appear within the story as old films and videos recorded in the past and seen in the present (Blink DVD-extra style).

Even so, as you say, the British tabloid press is so unreliable that the article has no more than ‘bonkers theory’ status.

@craig – agreed. I note that when they have showed clips of the previous Doctors, they’ve either been photos, print-outs, or video playback. And when it’s video playback they’ve ‘projected’ it on a wall (Next Doctor) or mid-air (Eleventh Hour). Previous companions were shown on a smallish TARDIS screen.

All of which suggests that the quality of the archive footage is very ropey indeed, and they’re using every trick they can think of to hide its poor quality.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Spoilers?**********************************************

We in the UK get no ad again it seems. Here’s the American one, though. Also check out the official Who site for sneaky peeks at ‘Journey…’

Anonymous @

@wolfweed — surprising amount of pics from the episode on the official site — including one of a very intriguing looking book….

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish – Yes, it’s a VERY interesting book. The official site are literally spoiling us.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish – I wonder if the author used a pseudonym?

ardaraith @ardaraith

@wolfweed – I almost choked on my tea, reading that!

wolfweed @wolfweed

@ardaraith – In a good way I hope!

Anonymous @

Off to rush to the BBC site, but just a brief comment on @wolfweed‘s clip:

Speaking as an originally-born American who is now more-than-happily hiding in the Yorkshire Dales, can I please be the one to point out that that announcer’s voice was the WORST pseudo-brit accent EVER? And I speak in a universe that still includes the execrable Dick Van Dyke ‘mockney’ in Mary Poppins.

Lula @lula

@Shazzbot  THANK YOU!  I mentioned this over On The Sofa earlier today, but oh my stars, (I’ve been saying that decades before we heard it from Clara’s mother, thankyouverymuch) the BBC America announcer sounds completely phony.  What’s worse is that people over here think he sounds “posh.”  I’ve even seen tweets of, “In my head, I sound like BBC America’s announcer.”  I feel sorry for these people, because in my head, I sound like Ruth Wilson.  (When in reality, I’m about as southern as they come.  And by southern, I don’t mean the phony southern accents used on True Blood by most of their international cast. Ryan Kwanten, an Australian, does the most authentic Louisiana accent of that bunch.)

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@lula.  Ryan is an old friend of mine. He will love to hear that. He worries about his accent. I tell him no one is listening to his accent but somehow that does not reassure…

Lula @lula

@HTPBDET  Everyone is listening to his accent–because BBC Am uses him for EVERYTHING!  (How many Graham Norton commercials can they air in one day?  Oh, about 200.  I’m not joking.)  Maybe he’s just been “over here” for too long, or maybe it’s the inflection…because to my ears, he sounds like an American trying to speak like an Englishman.  Then again, I’m the person who had to watch the first 3 seasons of Skins with subtitles.  I admit that, yes.

And there’s this, straight from Twitter:
     ‏@caseymckinnon 17 Apr  Some days I just want to pronounce everything like the @BBCAMERICA VoiceOver guy.
    See?  Famous.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Only ‘the only survivor’ could have written that book, surely?

I don’t think it’s technically a spoiler now but that picture is A-Grade Who-Fan Catnip.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

I saw those images, and yes, there are only a few possibilities for that one. I think, if the book is opened, it may very well be full of blank pages. 🙂

I’ll just carry one image over – not spoilery, but just because I like it. It looks like an alternative for the “movie poster”. While I like the “Castrovalva” look of the official one, this has so many pleasing details. In many ways it’s better for speculation with themes or mirroring, etc.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift I’ve seen that before, and every time I see it I think

The Doctor wears a wrist watch. So why does he also have a fob watch…

May be nothing, but stil grabs my attention every time. It’s pretty much front and centre (so to speak).

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@phaseshift.    Perhaps the TARDIS created the book? We know she archives things but not how?

My guess is Clara will read it. And have her eyes opened about something.

but I wonder if leaking vortex energy will mean she can’t remember? If we are out of sequence, not remembering could start here?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig

Yes there are lots of little things in that image. On a wider note I thought I’d post it because I keep getting the impression I’ve seen something very similar in style somewhere else. I thought I might throw it open to see if anyone had any suggestions.

The Doctor’s costume is very HG Wells The Time Machine. (1960 film, I’m thinking).  The central figures above are both breaking the fourth wall – they’re looking directly at us. In fact Clara seems to be about to tap on the glass of the TV screen.

I think the pattern on Clara’s dress is supposed to be flowers, but it’s reminding me of a star field. Red, black, white, something like: 
    Horsehead Nebula

In the clips they’ve released, scenes with the Doctor seem extremely blue lit, and scenes with Clara extremely red lit.

vizier @vizier

@craig and @phaseshift wondering why the Doctor has two watches reminded me of this quote from the Fourth Doctor after he’d told Vural he was a clock expert (in the Sontaran Experiment):

“Horologist, actually, and chronometrist. I just love clocks: atomic clocks, quartz clocks, grandfather clocks… Cuckoo clocks…”

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Wow, ok, thanks for the images everyone.

I may be looking just a teensy bit (and no doubt erroneously and prematurely) pleased right now… 🙂

Red fish, blue fish, doppleganger fish, different time-streams/ universes/ versions of Clara and the Doc woo-hoo fish!

Of course, the entire colour scheme is probably going to change to neon orange and puce stripes two week’s hence, haha 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Ah @juniperfish, I thought you’d like it.

I find it interesting the Doctor front facing image is on the “wrong” side of the mirror image (BOX is spelt the right way, so the wrong way from the POV of inside the TARDIS).

I can’t shake the feeling the split reminds me of part of the crack from Series 5 turned on on edge.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@phaseshift @juniperfish – so…the active Doctor is in the mirror universe! Look at how the Doctor is standing in the ‘right’ way POV. He’s downcast.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift (or are you, imperceptibly, being slowly being fishified into @Phasefish indeed hehe…)

I’m so excited by the three season arc.

It’s just the perfect feint. We’ve already revisited that point in time f0r the Doctor’s last farewell to Amelia, so no one will be looking back there again to puzzle as to why exactly the Doctor’s TARDIS was so unstable in the first place. Except, we are 🙂

The Eleventh Hour is surely when the cloister bell tolls…

I think now we’re heading to meet the dark version of the Doctor for whom the Alliance built the Pandorica and against whom Madame Kovarian was fighting her “endless bitter war”.

Whisht @whisht

y’know (this is a massive aside) I should show the designers I work with this blog, for them to appreciate how sometimes their work is analysed.

all too often “erm, i erm well on the left seemed better and blue was y’know thingy’s colour wasn’t it?” is what you get.

This would raise their game….

Pufferfish @pufferfish
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@ardaraith

Agree with the Downcast look. It occurred to me that if you could wrap the image round, you have the Doctor glaring at Clara who looks a bit taken aback and defensive and, in the background the Doctor looking despondent as Clara runs away from something. Him?

@whisht – I wouldn’t show this to designers. It might scare them!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Should be packing but can’t be bothered yet. I don’t think anyone has posted a link to this yet.

The Reunion on Radio 4 started a new series with the original cast of Doctor Who. Is pretty good.

Warning, may contain spoilers for “An Adventure in Time and Space” 😀

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rqgz3

Sue MacGregor reunites five people who created and starred in the first series of a television landmark, Doctor Who. Fifty years later, those who crammed nervously into the BBC’s Lime Grove Studios in 1963 recount the triumphs and disasters that ushered in the longest running science-fiction series in the world.

When Canadian TV executive Sydney Newman was drafted in to revitalise the BBC Drama department in the early 1960’s, his idea for an ageing time-traveller who would illuminate both human history and Alien civilisations struggled to be successfully realised.

After a number of other directors refused to work on the project, a 24 year-old Waris Hussein took the job. The only Indian-born director within the BBC at that time, he felt the stern gaze of the ‘old order’ upon his work.

The first episode was recorded on the day President Kennedy was assassinated and transmitted the next day, despite concerns that the show might be postponed.

Doctor Who was played by the British actor William Hartnell. His sharp, sometimes grumpy demeanour came out of his increasing difficulty in learning the scripts, but the audience immediately took him to their hearts and the series had nearly six million viewers by Christmas.

Joining Sue MacGregor is Waris Hussein, the director of the episode, Carole Ann Ford who played the Doctor’s granddaughter and companion Susan, William Russell who played the Doctor’s right hand man Ian Chesterton, actor Jeremy Young who was the first Doctor Who enemy Caveman Kal, and television presenter Peter Purves who travelled with William Hartnell in the mid 60’s as companion Steven Taylor.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

For anyone thinking in indulging in some classic Who for this year, this looks like a dream.

The Regenerations Box set contains all the regeneration episodes for the Doctors in a nice book package.

Even for the First Doctor, it contains a pre-release of “The Tenth Planet” with the lost final episode animated.

The cover will delight those who antipate a surprise regeneration, and it looks lovely for the money. Amazon have it listed at £43.25.

The cover will delight those who anticipate a surprise regeneration

Who, me? 😀

Yup, still going for a surprise regeneration, or alternatively a surprise reveal of the next Doctor. And I still think there’s a big shock coming at the finale – and that Smith is regenerating this year.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift Oooh that looks deeply tempting…

@bluesqueakpip Oh no, no, no – who can possibly top Smithy? I suppose we will never be so spoiled again as to get a single actor playing the Doctor for seven years (as we did with Tom Baker) <sigh>

@juniperfish – well, if the surprise is that Coleman is Twelve, I wouldn’t be astonished if they kept the reborn Doctor as genuinely young again. Smithy’s ‘ancient man in young body’ will be very hard to follow. I remain astonished at his ability – when in his twenties – to convincingly play very old and very tired.

Or, all these flying rumours have been put about for disinformation and the ambition of his life is to beat Tom Baker’s stint. 🙂

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — ooh, that’s a thing of beauty and no mistake.

Also still think we’re on for a surprise regeneration this year (although if we expect it, does it count as a surprise?) And if there is won’t this render this lovely package incomplete even before it’s out?

although if we expect it, does it count as a surprise?

Definitely a difference between ‘some fans are suspicious’ and ‘pre-announced on the Ten O’Clock News’. 😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

Am I allowed to say ‘Yippee, an RTD/Julie Gardner-trained producer who’s come up via Who and SJA’?

janetteB @janetteb

Lets hope he can convince the execs to stretch the episodes back to 50 minutes. My only real complaint about this series is the rushed feel. I think it accounts for some of the “it makes no sense” comments. A lot of people just miss stuff, easy to do.

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@wolfweed – for those of us without a UK TV/ TV license, I sincerely hope that any prequels will be available on iPlayer!  But knowing how sensitive they are to their global audience, I shouldn’t think they’d forget their internet presence.

And @janetteb – you ‘n me, both.  However, I think the Doctor’s escapades will remain at 45-ish minutes, to allow for an hour-long timeslot on American TV with commercials.

@lula – Does BBC America have commercial breaks?

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 921 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who news’ is closed to new replies.