Doctor Who news

Home Forums General Doctor Who news

This topic contains 920 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 921 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

There is a non-spoilery interview (it features one image from the trailer broadcast from the various trailers) with Neil Gaiman. It covers his memories of the Cybermen, some ideas he had in earlier drafts, and some enthusiastic stuff about the show.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/05/07/exclusive-neil-gaiman-talks-doctor-who-and-cybermen/

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – from your Neil Gaimen interview:  he’s so spot-on with what makes the Cybermen super-creepy.  Their faces are mechanical replicas of human faces, and I’m glad he pushed through on the whole “they have this weird, impassive, uncanny valley thing of just the two eyes and the mouth, in the position they would be on a human face. It’s just really unsettling, and I wanted that.”

He’s also quite generous in his praise of both Matt Smith’s and JLC’s acting.  I’m more excited than ever about this Saturday’s episode!

thommck @thommck

I just came here to post that exact interview that @phaseshift linked.

First time I’ve dipped my toes in this section on the forum so can others advise if it is safe to follow (i.e. no spoilers directly displayed)?

@Shazzbot Cybermen are one of the few baddies I remember having nightmares about in Old Who (the McCoy years) when I was little. Gaiman makes a bit of a song and dance about the face design but it doesn’t look that different to the Cybus ones! Those vacant eyes are definitely part of the fear factor but what scared me the most was that I actually found the whole “they used to be humans” thing so terrifying. Not even sure if that was true for the Old Who cybermen but that’s what it felt like!

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@thommck            Well, Mondas was Earth’s twin – and the notion was that the Modasians were human-like. I shared your terror of the “Silver Piper” coming to take me away into the night to become like them…

Can’t wait!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

“We’re also sending the Doctor’s worst enemy, the Daleks, to exterminate lots of innocent people. Sorry, it’s just what they do. Let us know if it’s a Health and Safety issue.”

Steven Moffat always makes me laugh.

janetteB @janetteb

@phaseshift, thanks for the link to the pics. I love that the two Drs have the same jackets. (I was going to comment on that fact that they were wearing big, thick ski jackets then saw the crew in their “winter woolies” and recalled the British or more specifically Welsh climate and refrained.)

cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb – yeah, I did the same double take with that, but I’m sure it’s not costume, just to stop the actors turning blue between takes (it was April – still mid-winter here LOL)

@bluesqueakpip Agreed, very funny. Wish I had a ticket now 😉 I remember the 2 daleks BBC HQ used to have at their front door – very impressive, always made me jump a little, and they didn’t move. You can bet I kept a close eye on them!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Yes, giving the actors exactly the same warm coat is the sort of little joke the costume department would come up with. 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip – At least they gave them one each 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Fair warning

We’ve featured Prequels in the news section before (see Page 7 for the Bells prequel). So here is the Prequel for “The Name of the Doctor”. The reason for this is that a Prequel is almost intended to be seen prior to transmission.

Comments afterwards may discuss it, so if you want to avoid it altogether, it should be easy to bypass the news section for a week. No discussion of any other trailers or spoilers please.

She said/He Said:

Timeloop @timeloop

Discussing the prequel!

Beware!

Keep out if you want to.

So Clara is definitily in love with the Doctor, yeah? *annoyed*

So she is perfect for him, huh? *even more annoyed* Too perfect? WHT is that supposed to mean.

He looks sad now he knows. Like he would look at Donna.

ardaraith @ardaraith

I am utterly disappointed.  I just heard that people in the US who pre-ordered the Series 7.b blue ray received their shipments last week!  There are people out there who have now seen the finale!  Stay away from the internet all week, if you don’t want to be spoiled.  So grumpy over this. 🙁

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@ardaraith

That’s shocking. What a cock up. As I’ve warned people to keep out of here do you want to post a general warning on the Sofa about that?

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

Attention Sydney Austraya!

The Vivid festival (an annual arts festival) is doing a light show at Customs House in Circular Quay. The Dendy is also showing a double feature – Asylum and Angels Take Manhatten. I’ll be there for the 5 O’clock showing with the Missus and the Boy, then straight to the light show and then dinner. If you see an excited 6 year old with a bow tie and sonic screwdriver screaming “Exterminate!” being chased by an equally excited middle aged-man (with an embarrassed women in the background) come and say hello. It’ll be us.

http://www.dendy.com.au/Promotion/Doctor-Who-Double-Feature
    http://www.cnet.com.au/doctor-who-landing-at-vivid-sydney-339344273.htm

Should be a hoot. The light shows at Customs’ House is usaully pretty spectacular…

Timeloop @timeloop

Haha, What a lovely picture! Hope you have fun  there in advance!

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@timeloop.    I don’t think Clara is definitely in love with the Doctor. Listens carefully to what she says. I think it is classic Moffat – sounds like something but actually is something else. Lovey-schmovey

Timeloop @timeloop

oh:

dont look.

@htpbdet “the trick is: dont fall in love. I did that trick quite a lot. Sometimes twice a day.”

Timeloop @timeloop

dont

even

look.

What do you guys think of I know what she will always mean?

Anonymous @

@htpbdet – In the ‘She Said, He Said’ clip, Clara says ‘don’t fall in love … I do that trick quite a lot, sometimes twice a day …’

And she’s seemingly talking about the Doctor, but I agree with you, it’s massive mis-direction.  The problem is that we have seen nothing about Clara’s background, romantic or otherwise, so we assume she’s still talking about the Doctor in that riff.

But ‘twice a day’?  ‘I do that trick’?  Yes, in post-2005 Who we know that there are adventures not filmed (cf that ‘Florida planet’ that Amy and 11 visited etc etc).

Only an Impossible Girl could talk about falling in love as ‘a trick’.  It’s there in plain sight …

Anonymous @

Again with the prequel:  ‘Always perfect … too perfect’ the Doctor says.  And the statue (?) of Clara stands there, with a few wisps of hair standing up, perfectly still in the air.  As if caught in a time-trap just when a draft of wind had kicked up.

thommck @thommck

Bit of non-spoiler news from doctorwhonews.net

The BBC have released the tribute “BAFTA Celebrates 50 Years of Doctor Who” here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018ycrs

Even more exciting. The Beano are re-releasing the summer special shown in the RoA episode!
    Editor-in-chief Mike Stirling said:

Everyone at The Beano was delighted to see one of our summer specials appear on Doctor Who.

We’re big fans of the show, and so are our readers, who haven’t stopped talking about it. We decided to travel back in time and get a copy of the 1981 summer special, which we’ve reprinted inside the latest issue, in time for the last episode of the season.

We’re all really excited about this issue and thrilled that Doctor Who is one of our fans. We hope Matt Smith and the whole Doctor Who team love this issue. We’re giving every child the opportunity to travel back in time – just like the Doctor.

So something good did come out of that episode after all 😛 I’m off down the newsagents!
    Beano Doctor Who Special

ScaryB @scaryb

@thommck – Haha, that’s a nice touch with the Beano. Tho presumably there are no Who references in the reprint? Maybe they thought they might as well run off a whole batch when they were asked to do 1 or 2 for the Beeb! Love “How to draw the world ending with a parp!”

ScaryB @scaryb

Prequel discussion OK on here? Sorry came late to it – rampant paranoia last weekend about spoilers esp after someone posted that it gave everything away. (Having watched some of the trailers post episodes I’m definitely avoiding them but decided to go for the prequel)

Not much to add – but haven’t noticed anything about the settting (unless it’s been on the spoilers thread. Which I’m avoiding. Till Sunday then I’m diving in there to see what you’ve all been talking about, LOL!!). Why does it look like a walk through the Dr’s “back pages”? Everything’s in there – much like Mr Webley’s museum.  Are we looking at a Space Museum or Land of Fiction type scenario? Is the reason Mr W wasn’t saved at the end of NiS because he’s the curator? (he’d his own means of escape arrranged, or he’s meta to the story?)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@scaryb the setting was interesting. Almost as if they set it in the props department. It certainly wasn’t the room Clara went into in JTTCOTT, which seemed to me a kind of attic space/ in terms of the marketplace in TROA, a bank vault.

um- just in case

spoilers?

The main thing I took away from the prequel was when they both suddenly said they ‘knew’ who the other was- they’ve known since TROA. That doesn’t mean it’s in the episode, it’s been speculated that the Doctor seemed to disappear for a while. It does seem to contradict other episodes, assuming we’ve seen them all in order, and assuming they always remember what they ‘know’. And assuming they’re correct, and that they’re not bluffing- who are they talking to? Each other, us, or themselves?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

p.s. above only spoilery if you haven’t seen the prequel.

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick

Continuing prequel discussion…

Spoilery if you’ve not seen the prequel

I didn’t hear any refs to RoA – where was that? Thought it was “the day we went to Trenzalore?” Neither of them looks very happy to have found out! Seems to be 2 versions of each – 1 frozen/waxworked – the mood changes when each is beside the still version of the other. Props dept 😉 Space museum with them as exhibits in alt timeline?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@scaryb– need to watch it again, I might be muddled.

If it is

Trenzalore, and this prequel is post-Trenzalore, it doesn’t seem all wrapped up…

Hehe, as River said, The doctor does love a museum. And we have seen some living collectables- The Dalek back under RTD, the Angel in TATM, the cybermen in NIS. Though I’m assuming this museum/props department is metaphorical.

thommck @thommck

I thought the prequel was set in their heads and we were only meant to pay attention to the words. Then again, that would mean they were in the same head!.

Something I find odd is that lots of us are expecting an upcoming regeneration but we haven’t heard about any new actors who would take up the role. Matt Smith and JLC both had press releases about their appointments and viewers new well in advance about it. This makes me think maybe the Doctor will go into Clara’s body similar to Doctor-Donna. That way we get a female Doctor. However, Clara would need to be something other than human to stop her burning up

ScaryB @scaryb

Prequel speculation

Prequel speculation

Prequel speculation

@thommck

Surprise regen – With Moff being so sneaky in getting JLC in early we’re just trying to cover all bases. And trying to see if he can top Clara PR-wise. Haha – that’s the problem with being the showrunner – you can never win. We all expect him to top whatever his last “thing” was.  But also because he’s trailed “gamechanger” and we know from previous interviews that while he loves and respects Who (blah blah blah) the back story is, frankly, a pain in the ass for writers! Not that I’m advocating taking Moff’s word for gospel of course 😉

thommck @thommck

Just seen that the official site has a short video clip “Strax Field Report”: The Name of the Doctor, DURATION: 00:49 Strax reports on the adventure and danger that lie ahead in The Name of the Doctor.

Can someone not afraid of spoilers please check it out and tell me if it’s safe to watch (similar to how the prequel was safe as it just leads into the story rather than give anything away!)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thommck I am fearless 😀

Nothing spoilery in it. Nothing much in it at all actually, just a few jokes and what we know already e.g the title of the episode.

ardaraith @ardaraith

Prequel speculation
    Prequel speculation
    Prequel speculation
    I’ve been introducing my partner to RiverSong, so he has a better idea of her significance in the finale. Last night we watched Let’s Kill Hitler, and I was struck by this mirroring:

“I was born to kill the Doctor.” RiverSong
    “I was born to save the Doctor.” Clara Oswald

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@ardaraith            Moffat likes to repeat himself with variations. 🙂

@scaryb                 I thought the prequel was set in their joint memories – intimitng that there might be a frozen in time moment as the surely-will-be-coming-paradox resolves?

janetteB @janetteb

@ardaraith thanks for letting us know about the “field report.” Nothing spoilery. I look forward to seeing more of the Paternoster Gang this weekend.

R.S. was born to kill the Doctor but ends up continually saving him. Is Clara’s character trajectory going to be the opposite?

I really don’t think that there is going to be a regeneration this year. (Of course that is in part fueled by wishful thinking I’ll happily admit.)

Cheers

Janette

WhoHar @whohar

@janetteb

R.S. was born to kill the Doctor but ends up continually saving him. Is Clara’s character trajectory going to be the opposite

Interesting idea, although I’d go with metaphorically kill him if Clara succeeds.

ScaryB @scaryb

Greetings everyone, the night shift’s been buzzing I see 🙂

No theories to add to what I’ve already posted – GI generated multiple realities – the Dr has to sort out which (if any) is real. Resolved by reveal of who/what Clara is – she speaks key  code – cue his memories uploading. Dr is revealed to be crazy dalek in asylum having dream of being a timelord. And it’s set in a hall of mirrors – there’s so much bloody mirroring going on it wouldn’t surprise me, LOL.

Clara is construct of the Tardis – the perfect companion – cos he keeps breaking or losing the others!

Alternatively it’s all 10’s fault – he didn’t regenerate properly and is still hanging around, causing a paradox (and exploding Tardis etc)

I don’t expect all the loose ends to be tied up – Moff’s got to leave some loose ends for picking up later. But I won’t be surprised if there’s a revisit to 11th hour.

ScaryB @scaryb

Just found this on the BBC Who site – really lovely interview with Warwick Davis (about last week’s) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0192lhw

I like what he says about the cast getting to chose things like his watch from a wee pile of props. That would explain Webley’s rather strange looking timepiece

ScaryB @scaryb

New unspoilery blog from @danmartin, with a brilliant little tease at the end. (I’ve made 1 comment (being supportive and excusing absence, LOL) but haven’t read the rest, just in case. Caught a bit of the first couple – they looked moany 🙄  )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/may/17/has-doctor-who-lost-its-way?commentpage=1

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 😮

thommck @thommck

@scaryb That is a good article, thanks for linking.

I was a bit worried about the comments so I didn’t look but I did add my own (with a plug for our forum of course!)

@danmartin is definitely a tease! Even though he doesn’t reveal anything he has maybe set my expectations at the wrong level now, especially regarding what he thinks of RoA!

chickenelly @chickenelly

I too read @danmartin‘s blog but was too scared to add a comment in case I caught any spoilers.

There was one the other day about the Star Trek film and of course one kind commentator posted a huge spoiler (ie the whole point of the film).  Admittedly I suspected this spoiler but since I haven’t seen the film yet I was mightily peeved.

Speaking about being hacked off with spoilers, the worst I can remember was the BBC who told you whodunnit in their preview article for the recent film adaptation for ‘Tinker Tailor’.  The film hadn’t even come out yet!

WhoHar @whohar

@scaryb.

Yes, I’ve just been on there. Posted this:

This is very naughty of you Dan. An article attempting to drive a wedge between the peaceable folk who come on this board week after week, happily speculating without ever having to use such hackneyed phrases as “Classic Who is better than Nu Who” or “RTD was better than Moffat”, or “Tennant was better than Smith”. Hang your head in shame young man, hang your head in shame.

Oh, hang on, scrap all that. I’ve just realised I’m on the Guardian DW blog.

Couldn’t resist. Am I very bad?

Anonymous @

@whohar and @ ScaryB — it’s a bit moany over on the G but the Uber-Moaners have yet to make their presence felt. Only a matter of time though, as the piece is quite prominent on the front page at the moment…

@chickenelly — I know exactly the spoiler you mean re. Trek and I was a bit miffed themselves. But I think you have to cut the Beeb some slack RE. Tinker, Tailor. It was an adaptation of a 30-year-old book which the Beeb itself had adapted in a highly popular series 20 years beforehand. Don’t think that really counts as a spoiler. There has to be a statute of limitations on these things.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

The Daily Mash has an exclusive interview with Moffat 😀

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/doctor-whos-target-audience-is-stephen-hawking-2013051769169

As the series reaches a mind-bendingly complex conclusion far beyond the comprehension of normal minds, Moffat revealed he just wants to entertain Stephen Hawking.

janetteB @janetteb

Urgh. After reading through two pages of nasty bile on the Dan Martin blog I have come here for a sanity check before heading off to bed. If it wasn’t for this wonderful forum I’d be so disillusioned by Dr Who fans. @jimthefish, if the uber moaners haven’t appeared there yet then I’m glad I quit when I did. What I read was bad enough.

Signing off for the night.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@craig – re the Daily Mash article – lovely!  Their writers sometimes really are fantastic.  And the funniest line for me was the last:

“Professor Stephen Hawking said: “The stories are way too complicated for me, I watch it for the monsters and the cute girl.””

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot I love The Daily Mash. They also had a great story on the Doctor Who / Star Wars fan bust up:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/science-fiction-fans-now-harder-than-football-fans-2013051668958

Anonymous @

@craig — yeah, I loved the SF fans one…

ardaraith @ardaraith

@janetteb – I”m with you!  I really don’t understand why anyone would watch an episodic they didn’t enjoy.  I mean, really?? Have people’s lives become so miserable, have they learned to ‘just settle’ so often, that they squander their few hours of entertainment or personal time on something they dislike?  Mind-boggling.

But not here!  Very thankful for this fun, positive little portion of the web.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 921 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who news’ is closed to new replies.