Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 848 replies, has 67 voices, and was last updated by  HCGosling 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

And…just running with my post above…in the announcement video the key in the trig disappears at the end. Are we to imply that the juxtaposition of the trig and the disappearing key means that we should expect a search to figure in S11?

Or have I just had too much coffee?

wolfweed @wolfweed

The advert just aired on the telly. It seems that not a lot of people know what a trig point is. Not many hillwalking/mountaineering Who fans out there then….

trig dia

Nick @nick

@craig

Feel free to be cynical on this. It works both ways in terms of publicity. I don’t think that’s a bad ting either 🙂

Whisht @whisht

blimey – so it wasn’t the new Doctor you were all talking about on the Spoilers thread!!

:¬)

Well, unless I stop watching Youtube/ internet/ bbc/ guardian/ anything/ most-importantly-this-forum I’ll be watching after the Men’s final.

{sigh}

guess I need to find a choon at short notice…..

Nick @nick

@wolfweed

It’s been a while since I last stood next to one. The triangle around the Tardis key does seem to reinforce the three Doctor christmas story idea we recently discussed on the spoiler thread as @blenkinsopthebrave has just suggested

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht

“I’m your lady”?

“Young, gifted and black”?

Get ’em lined up!

Whisht @whisht

Well @craig I was wondering if after the Men’s Final it might be Federer who was revealed (he is after all conquering Time!).

But so is Venus – oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

;¬D

GREAT suggestion!

Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason:

The scientific principles that man employs to obtain the foreknowledge of an eclipse, or of any thing else relating to the motion of the heavenly bodies, are contained chiefly in that part of science that is called trigonometry, or the properties of a triangle, which, when applied to the study of the heavenly bodies, is called astronomy; when applied to direct the course of a ship on the ocean, it is called navigation; when applied to the construction of figures drawn by a ruler and compass, it is called geometry; when applied to the construction of plans of edifices, it is called architecture; when applied to the measurement of any portion of the surface of the earth, it is called land-surveying. In fine, it is the soul of science. It is an eternal truth: it contains the mathematical demonstration of which man speaks, and the extent of its uses are unknown.

I do think we are in for a search in S11 (coffee notwithstanding).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just to be clear, I have no idea and it will probably be another white man, but one can hope for something a bit different.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Grasping at straws?

Triangulation (psychology)

hbc
    (Helena Bonham Carter by Josh Bryan)

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Oh blimey. I was kind of hoping the secret would remain a secret till the Xmas special but I guess that was naive.  On Sunday we will be celebrating my 60th birthday and our ruby wedding anniversary but I guess one or two of us [50% approx of the guests] will be checking our mobiles for news during the proceedings… Just hope it turns out to be another reason to be cheerful!

@cathannabel
    Have a great double celebration on Sunday! Ruby…Wow. The announcement of the 13th pales in comparison.

@blenkinsopthebrave Thank you!

And if the allusion to trigonometry in the announcement is intentional, then we may be looking forward to many complicated diagrams from @bluesqueakpip during S11!

Actually, the trigonometry allusion has instilled in me more confidence in the prospect of a Chibnall Who. Not entirely sure why. Perhaps it is because it alludes to maps and puzzles. Perhaps, picking up on the Tom Paine quote, because it implies a belief in science and rationality.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I do wonder if it’ll be another on-the-sofa cringefest a la PC’s announcement or whether we might get a little dramatic snippet in the style of Pearl’s introduction. (I know which I’d prefer.)

Oh, and many congratulations for Sunday, @cathannabel….

JonnyTheDoc @sabesjt98

According to Radio Times, there’s no ‘special programme’ scheduled, so guess it will be a little skit reveal. But it can’t be too story based coz Capaldi hasn’t actually regenerated yet, so would be out of sequence.

McCotton @mccottonthedoctorfan

I was just listening to “The Diary of River Song.”  In the third story, “Signs,” River goes on an adventure with a man pretending to be the Doctor.  I really liked the performance in that story, and I kinda want Samuel West (the actor who played “Mr. Song” in signs) to play the Doctor.  That’s just my personal want.  I’m sure however it is will be great though.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@sabesjt98

Really don’t think that’s an issue. We saw Bill’s first scenes ‘out of sequence’, after all…

bendubz11 @bendubz11

I was thinking maybe the timing choice could be a hint that it’s somebody who was in Wimbledon, but the only one I can see playing The Doctor is Celia Emrie and she was a villain fairly recently.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bendubz11 You didn’t consider Paul Bettany?

Hmm…there seems to be a strange silence on the board. As if people are holding their breath for tomorrow.

bendubz11 @bendubz11

@craig honestly the only other Paul Bettany appearance I’ve seen is him being the voice of JARVIS in Iron Man, so I don’t really know whether he’d fit.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Wasn’t Paul Bethany the sidekick in the post inspector morse series Lewis,and correct me if I am wrong I think he was either Billie Piper’s boyfriend or husband at one point post her marriage to Chris Evans.

@devilishrobby
    That was Laurence Fox. Who was married to Billie Piper. Come to think of it, are there any actors in Britain who have not either been in Doctor Who or are related to someone who has?

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@jimthefish

Ha! Brilliant.

Anonymous @

Can a Brit please tell me approximately what time the mens’ finals finish? I suspect it might be snoozing time here in Australia.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Conchobarre

The programme whole (which presumably contains the announcement) is due to finish at 6.30pm GMT.

So expect it to feature about from about 5pm – 6.30pm GMT, unless the game massively overruns…

(So 3 – 4.30 in the morning-ish)

snooze

Many Happy Returns and Congratulations, @cathannabel !

Anonymous @

Thanks @wolfweed. .I’m a big big DW fan, but not enough to stay up until then! The challenge will be not to grab my phone during the night.

Missy @missy

@winston:  Nothing could overshadow Peter Capaldis work on this show or his finale , his Doctor has been wonderful and mysterious and sad and brave and way too many more things to mention. I will miss the 12th.

Same here. To me he was the perfect Doctor, and there is only one actor  (that I can think of at the moment) who will come close. Kris Marshall!

As I think watching tennis is like watching grass grow, I shall probably miss the announcement.

Missy

Thanks for good wishes, @jimthefish and @wolfweed.

bendubz11 @bendubz11

@missy turn it into a game, every time the screen says “deuce” drink some grape juice!

wolfweed @wolfweed

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

Saw a suggestion elsewhere that they could introduce the new doctor and companion today

KM and JW?

question is WHO’S WHO????

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just a note to say that I will start a new topic as soon as the announcement is made – it’s all set up and ready to go, I just need to add the name, so will only take me 30 seconds or so to add that and make it live.

So if you can hang off for a few seconds we can keep everything in one place.

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

I take it we are hoping for a quick 3 set walkover and not a 5 set classic with tie breakers

Craig @craig
    Emperor

It’s all over already, in 3 sets. Hang on to the seat of your pants!

Get ready the men’s final is over now it’s just down to what exactly the BBC meant after the Wimbledon Men’s final is that the the scheduled program finish befor the news at 18:30 or when the match and commentary finished  😉

I am betting they meant after the scheduled programme finish because they are talking about the Doubles final being up next

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Well there you go. Jodie Whittaker is the new Doctor – discuss it here:

https://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/jodie-whittaker-is-the-new-thirteenth-doctor-on-doctor-who/

RorySmith @rorysmith

I was banking on the wrong BC actress. Jodie will probably surprise us.

Im still seeing Tennant as the Master.

Missy @missy

@bendubz11:

Ha, ha!  Apart from the fact that I don’t know what deuce means, I don’t even care. *grins*

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Nick @nick

@wolfweed

This is a somewhat false list as a lot of “BBC” salaries are paid by production companies and not the BBC. Without similar disclosures from the rest of the UK industry there is no context.

The main thing that (fails to) surprise me is that the real talent (actors, directors, writers crew etc) are not the highest earners; most of whom seem to be news readers and presenters. The gender differences aren’t surprising, although I don’t think that it necessarily follows that people working on the same programme should necessarily be paid the same. However, in the medium term this can only makes these particular difference a thing of the past.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@nick

Peter Capaldi’s salary is correct because (unlike Graham Norton) he is not employed by an outside production company.

I agree that there is no context without other channels’ figures (or indeed outside production figures).

It’s all a bit pointless but hey-ho… (Have people seen what £$ sportspeople get, FFS?)

Chris Evans gets paid over 9 times more than P Cap & he is a git. That is annoying.

A wee reminder about the SDCC panels.

Thursday’s classic panel will be at 5pm (midnight [i.e. Fri] GMT?)

Sunday’s panel is at 2pm (9pm GMT)

sdcc

(7 hour time difference)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Drs 5 & 6 & Ace…

live Q&A classic (yahoo)

wolfweed @wolfweed

Classic panel (with Wheel in Space recon) is happening round about now in San Diego…

sdcc

wolfweed @wolfweed

It begins…

sdcc

I suppose we can say there’s an 8 hour time difference like I thought in the 1st place.

I looked it up & it said 7! Don’t trust everything you read on the internet! (So that’ll be 10pm GMT on Sunday)

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 849 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.