Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 1,043 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  JimTheFish 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 1,044 total)
  • Author
    blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Not so much Dr Who News, as post-Dr Who News.

It would seem that Moffat and Gatiss are teaming up for a new take on Dracula.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-20/steven-moffat-and-mark-gatiss-reunite-the-sherlock-team-for-a-remake-of-dracula

DrDisco @drdisco

Such a shame. Another of my childhood heroes gone. So sad.

MissRori @missrori

@blenkinsopthebrave Well, the Moff and Gatiss aren’t fearing any competition from Universal’s attempt at a monster movie universe then are they?  (That Mummy movie with Tom Cruise is meant to launch one.)  😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

@drdisco  Yes Brian Cant was best known for Play School/Play Away and Camberwick/Trumpton/Chigley of course. I remember him from these before I got to see him as Kert Gantry in The Daleks’ Master Plan…

@blenkinsopthebrave  @missrori  It would be interesting to know which Draculas they admire the most (Other than Christopher Lee)…..

🦇

DrDisco @drdisco

@wolfweed used to love watching all these especially Play Away on a Saturday afternoon on BBC2. Didn’t even know he was in Dr Who until I was in my 20’s

wolfweed @wolfweed

@blenkinsopthebrave  @missrori

Someone on twitter just pointed out that Capaldi would make a great Dracula…

vamp

@wolfweed

It would be interesting to know which Dracula they admire the most

Well, I am hoping it might be the Mel Brooks/Leslie Nielsen version

MissRori @missrori

@wolfweed  Well I thought of that too when I heard the news but it was just toooooo obvious!  (mwahaha)  😀

Nick @nick

@blenkinsopthebrave

I’ll be interested to see what they do with the Dracula story. I dont think they’d want to redo the original story without some major changes. A Modern day setting has also been done quite recently. A steampunk (ish) version was very recently done with Jonathan Rhys-Meyer as Dracula. It must be a new take.

One possibility might be something along the lines Kim Newman did in Anno Dracula (I found the book to be a bit heavy going at times, but was well worth reading).

As a complete aside, if you’re an open minded Sherlock fan, try giving Kim Newman’s Hound of the D’Ubervilles a read. Its a series of short stories in a very anti-Holmes/Watson, pro-Moriarty/Moran theme. It’s great fun.

@nick

My clip from the Mel Brooks version above was not entirely (although mostly) meant to be frivolous. Look at who Moffat and Gatiss are. Both have a track record in writing comedy. I would be very surprised indeed if their approach to Dracula was comedy-free. Gattis loves MR James and Victorian popular literature, and so there is an obvious connection to Dracula. He also likes referencing or re-imagining popular culture, and for this reason I would expect that their take on Dracula would owe as much to the movies as it would to Bram Stoker. Moffat finds it hard to write anything that is entirely free of erotically-charged situations and characters (“Coupling”, Irene Adler, River Song) and you can instantly see the appeal of Dracula to Moffat on that level.

So, drawing all this together I would expect something not a million miles away from Sherlock, that contains thrills, chills, narrative twists, sex and humour, along with call-outs to past popular culture versions of the Dracula story.

Whisht @whisht

@blenkinsopthebrave and all – Moffat and Gatiss doing Dracula?

Completely coincidentally I was watching a panel at a ComicCon last night (it was from maybe a year ago? Coleman, Gomez and Peter Capaldi were asked which monster they would most like to play….

Capaldi’s answer – Dracula.

Gary Oldman’s Dracula to be precise.

I fear Gatiss will be hammering Hammer and Amicus, but agree that Capaldi could be a fine villain.

As could ‘psycho’ Matt Smith…

Nick @nick

@blenkinsopthebrave

Absolutely. You describe all the reasons why I’ll be tuning in. I think they’ll want to do something new, on top, with the setting. I’m not sure what, but I expect it’ll be interesting.

@whisht

I think Gatiss probably produces his best when someone else is involved, to tone down his ideas

Missy @missy

I haven’t heard of Brian Cant. I shall look him up.

Thank you Wolfweed and for the Q&A.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

Just saw the news about Dracula. I think it will be very interesting to see what Moffat and Gattis bring to it. Looking forward to it already but now I will be disappointed if Capaldi doesn’t get the lead after reading the comments above. Yes he would be perfect…

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@blenkinsopthebrave:

I hope you are right. MT James? Is there a writer of ghost stories to compare with him? Wonderful writer.

@janetteb:   but now I will be disappointed if Capaldi doesn’t get the lead after reading the comments above. Yes he would be perfect

Yes he would.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I think Dracula is a great choice of project for Moffat and Gattiss and I’ll definitely look forward to it though. I imagine they’ll do something interesting with the part of Dracula and think Capaldi would be great but I also can’t help but feel he’d be a better fit for Van Helsing.

Missy @missy

@jimthefish:

Mmm, you could be right. he could play either with panache.

Missy

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

I don’t know if anyone else has picked up on this yet but I’ve just received one of the BBC newsletters (I’ve only recently signed up for them) and to my great surprise  Radio 4 extra are running a (gasp horror)  new Colin Baker Doctor Who audio play at 6 pm tonight24/6/17  supposedly written for TV but obviously  never made when he was canned as they say.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Doesn’t seem to be any mention of tonight’s Q & A being live on YouTube any more so maybe it’s not happening.  Definitely on Facebook BBC page, though… (@ 7.30pm GMT)

Listening to Radio 2 now – have I missed Pearl Mackie?

No – She’s on after this song…. !

p mack

wolfweed @wolfweed

Red button is also mentioned for live Q & A. Glasto’ is on the red button channel though…

Much confusion!

Pearl Mackie described tonight’s episode: ‘….And then some crazy shit happens.’

shit

wolfweed @wolfweed

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed–

Thanks for that. Thought it was a bit unlikely and would have been a big blow to Cardiff. And I’d lay odds the Beeb got some kind of funding incentive for setting up there in the first place.

Mind you, if it had been true, it would have been rather a drastic measure to appease Alan Cumming….

Missy @missy

Harking back to a post of mine. It should have reads. M R James, not MT.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

This year’s San Diego Comic Con will host a Classic Doctor Who panel on July 20th, with Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sophie Aldred.

They will reveal a sneak peak of a newly reconstructed lost episode from ‘The Wheel in Space’.

The main Doctor Who Panel on 23rd July features Peter Capaldi, Steven Moffat, Pearl Mackie, Matt Lucas, Michelle Gomez and Mark Gatiss; with a  sneak peek of the Christmas Special.

sdcc

Missy @missy

@wolfweed;

Thank you for the information, Looking forward to this. *makes mental note*

Missy

Craig @craig
    Emperor

So here I was thinking they were going to keep it a secret. This was posted today on Twitter.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sunday reveal for Dr 13…

Nice Trig point!

MissRori @missrori

@craig (le sigh). Well, hopefully this won’t overshadow Capaldi’s finale.  Of course his announcement didn’t overshadow Smith’s finale, but at the same time he got the 50th special and such to keep him paramount in the final months…otherwise I’ll have to work harder to keep the spirit alive!  😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

So I’m guessing it’s Andy Murray. He’s not in the final cos he had a regeneration scene to film.

“Yeah… I can… y’know… time travel (sigh)… it’s… fun.”

winston @winston

@wolfweed and @craig    Wow and what! Do I watch? Do I hide my head in the sand till Christmas? Aaaghhhhh! As you can see I am very excited or is it nervous? I don’t know. Anyway thanks from a very excited/nervous Canadian Whovian.

By the way the little clip was pretty cool. 13!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Why a Trig point? Is it a clue?

trig

trig points

There is a Trig Point Theatre in Glasgow. Surely they’ve not cast another Glaswegian?!

OK, only 2 more days to come up with suitably bonkers theories!

Hullo, I see above that @wolfweed has already started.

Since the announcement comes directly after Wimbledon, could it be someone who looks really smart in tennis whites?

If so, I am pretty certain it is not me.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

To Everyone, even all the spoiler-phobes, I think this will have to be discussed on the non-spoilers threads as it’s going to be all over the news and the internet for the next 5 months.

Hope that’s cool with everyone.

winston @winston

@craig  Even here it would be almost impossible to avoid this news. Unless I turn off the TV the internet,and the radio, lock my doors and talk to no-one. That would be very lonely and I would miss my freinds here so I will be watching the BBC news on Sunday. It is cool with me.

winston @winston

@missrori   Nothing could overshadow Peter Capaldis work on this show or his finale , his Doctor has been wonderful and mysterious and sad and brave and way too many more things to mention. I will miss the 12th.

Nick @nick

Well that’s a surprise. Since they dont know exactly when the mens final programme will finish, I guess I’ll have to keep tuning in.

@wolfweed @all

I cant think of any actor with a link to map making or the Ordnance Survey off the top of my head. Can you ? I have a former colleague whose first name is Trigvie if that helps !

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Well, that is a surprise. It thought they would try to keep it hushed up if they could. Maybe they thought that it wasn’t do-able to manage that. That suggests that they’ll be filming s11 soon and the cat would be out of the bag anyway or that the name is already out there (or as good as) and that this is the first opportunity to give an official announcement (which suggests Waller-Bridge to me).

@wolfweed — does the trig suggest three lines (timelines?) coming together? That seems to suggest theories of three Doctors coming together at Christmas. Although the No.10 bit suggests that Theresa May is going to stand down as PM to be the 13th Doc. (Please be wrong. Please be wrong.)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@nick  Wimbledon men’s final show tends not to finish early. They like to spin it out with inane chat if it’s a very quick match. But they could include the reveal on the show if it’s a short contest & so save on some waffle. As I expect you know, the show is scheduled to finish at 6.30pm GMT (but will of course be later if the match overruns).

wimble

4 months until shooting is due to start…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

If the next Doctor is a woman I know someone who won’t care (what a guy).

MissRori @missrori

An interesting complaint being raised over at Tumblr — couldn’t the Beeb have waited until after the panel at next week’s San Diego Comic Con that’s being framed as a “farewell tour” of sorts for Capaldi, Moffat, and co. to announce Thirteen?  Which would have made more sense.   Now Capaldi, Moffat, etc. will have to field a bunch of questions about the next guy or gal instead of Twelve and his era.  That does seem rather mean to Capaldi at least, as if the powers that be are in a hurry to rush him off so the new guy or gal can get the spotlight ASAP.  And if the choice turns out to be “controversial” this matter will be even worse.

@jimthefish
    The upside of it being Theresa May is she would probably do less damage as a fictional character than as a real person. And since there is always the possibility of a “floppy haired white male” as the Doctor it could also be hinting at Boris Johnson. Also a prospect to be feared.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@missrori unless, of course, the next Doctor will be a surprise guest on the panel!

MissRori @missrori

@craig Well, that’s a good point too.  But still, couldn’t they give the end of the Capaldi era a little more breathing room like they did for Ten and Eleven?  He’s not getting any extra specials after all, just the Christmas show; he never got a big “Day of the Doctor”-style adventure.  Unless this Christmas show is feature-length or something…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Weirdly, there aren’t many tennis references in Doctor Who. I found this, though…….

TARDIS Tennis

t t

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig and @missrori–

I’d lay odds that 13 will almost certainly be making an appearance at SDCC.

Also the timing to me still suggests that this is the first time the Beeb could conceivably schedule a Doc announcement, without it stuffing up Wimbledon. It suggests rush-job rather than careful plan to me….

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish and @missrori if 13 is a reasonably big part of Xmas and they are showing teasers at ComiCon it makes loads of sense to reveal it now.

I still wish they kept it a secret but if, as @wolfweed says, filming starts before Xmas then there is no way that would happen.

Better to get it out now, let any fuss die down, then hype up Capaldi’s departure at Xmas again.

Nick @nick

@craig

Is this an announcement (eg a 5 minute promo like the video posted today) or a special 15 to 30 minute programme ?

@jimthefish

I don’t remember a special promo video for Peter’s introduction (and that programme was certainly not as well done as the Matt one was), which suggests there has been some planning. I havent seen any particular change on the rumour front identifying the next Doctor for the last few months. No new names have appeared either that I’m aware of. What’s changed to make the BBC move forward in the last couple of weeks ?

Damn! Inadvertently posted on Spoilers page instead of here. Apologies for cross posting.

Just rewatched the announcement (of the announcement). The figure 13 appears all over the world. Remind you of anything? Say…the number 3 appearing all over the world? And who wrote “The Power of Three”? One Chris Chibnall. And in the trig is a key. The key to the Tardis? Well, yes, but perhaps also (and I am thinking of the comments made about a potential series-length story) a…Key to Time?

So, could the little announcement video be hinting at something more than simply the announcement of the 13th Doctor?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@nick I have no idea – but there is nothing in the TV schedule, so I’m guessing a 2 minute teaser, like when they introduced Bill.

Bill’s introduction was done during football (I seem to recall – forget which game – World Cup Final?). If I was a cynic, which I sometimes am, the BBC may be under pressure for rights to Wimbledon, and every extra viewer they can get for the Men’s Final will help them negotiate a better price for next year’s deal.

As above, ComiCon (or is it Comic Con?) is happening shortly and they are showing clips from the Xmas episode. I’m guessing 13 may be on the panel now. Or they just decided to get it out early and let any dust settle before Xmas.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 1,044 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.