Empress of Mars

Home Forums Episodes The Twelfth Doctor Empress of Mars

This topic contains 170 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 151 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    ichabod @ichabod

@missy  Perhaps I am easily pleased, but I do know that I have been more transported, with dleight, sadness, grief and laughter, since Capaldi took over the Doctorship.

Me too; I just haven’t been this *engaged* in DW for years — it could be partly the hark-back to Tom Baker, who was the first Doctor who really struck me as an original creature from no known place.  With CapDoc, I think sometimes, Jeez, man, stay away from us humans — we’re not really all that good for you.  

Talk about addiction — the Doctor is addicted to US.  And there are consequences all round.

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

Addicted to us indeed.  Not a good thing to be, we aren’t nice creatures. No wonder he’s looking ill, we are a virus he’s contracted and there is no pill for it.

Missy

Whisht @whisht

@nick
    Apologies – I’ve been missing replies to a few people ( @wolfweed – no I haven’t re-watched anything yet!) but just thought I’d acknowledge (with a big smiley) the nod to Dr Manhattan.

😉

MissRori @missrori

@ichabod  @missy  But if the Doctor stayed away from humans, he might hardly have any more heart than a Dalek.  He comes from a cold, mean race, those rotten Time Lords.  Getting to know humans and others made him the greatest of all heroes.  And if he’s sick I don’t think he wants to be cured if it meant losing all the love in his hearts.  He’d rather die a compassionate being.

ichabod @ichabod

@missrori  Well put, and you’re right.  Given a choice, he’d refuse to lose what he’s learned while wandering the universe with our company.  I’m just not feeling very — admiring of us right now.

Although new human heroes are definitely in the making as we speak; the times demand them.

Missy @missy

@missrori:

Yes, well said. Davros told him that his compassion would kill him one day.

@ichabod:

Being a cynic, I’ve never admired the human race, but admit there are exceptions.

Missy

Mirime @mirime

@missy I worked in retail for a while. Gives you a terrible view of the human race and I wasn’t exactly sociable before that.

I prefer cats.

Missy @missy

@mirime:

Doesn’t every intelligent being? *chuckles*

Dogs are a delightful, but cats have a certain (if you will excuse me) “up yours Jack!” I admire that immensely.

And that purrrrrrrrrrrrrr, so soothing.

Missy

Mirime @mirime

@missy apart from loving Doctor Who I’m also a massive Tolkien fan, and he did not love cats at all – the character that eventually became Sauron was an evil demonic cat originally. He also received a letter from a fan asking if it was ok to name their cats after his characters and, iirc, his reply was along the lines of ‘unfortunately I can’t stop you’.

There are three of the delightful creatures living with me currently, and I certainly know my place – it’s to be woken at 4am to feed/let in/let out/ just give them some fuss. Of course when one curls up purring for a cuddle it is lovely 🙂

Missy @missy

@mirime:

So that is why I have never been keen on Tolkien, a man of little taste. *chuckle*

Of course you know your place. Haven’t  you heard that “Dogs have owners but Cats have staff.” *winks*

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

I’m a bit hesitant to trust people who aren’t adventurous or flexible enough to enjoy the company of cats.  Well, I’ve got two, plus the feline gentleman boarder who comes in for meals and a safe place to sleep . . . If they did nothing more than lie round being beautiful, that would be enough for me.  They just delight my eye so . . .

Missy @missy

@ichabod:   They just delight my eye so . . .

Indeed they do, whether they be Tigers or good old moggies.

Their stare, their grace of movement, their purr, their treading, needle clawed on your lap and the sinuous winding of their soft bodies around your legs. Beauty at its highest degree, how can you resist them?

Missy

Mirime @mirime

You’ve not seen my Fry (as in Phillip J., Futurama). He has very little grace or elegance and is an annoying little sod. But I love him to bits anyway, he’s a big cuddly teddy bear of a cat and is a great friend to the rather more elegant Guybrush (Threepwood, mighty cat. Curse of Monkey Island.)

Sadly Guybrush is rather efficient at hunting birds. The only thing Fry can hunt is cat food, but he is ruthlessly efficient at consuming the contents of all three bowls.

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  — I can’t!  Well, except for the tuxedo boy who lives next door but hangs out in my hard and desperately wants to get into my house; he sprays on my porch to emphasize the point.  Vinegar helps; but then, vinegar, in moderation, helps most things.

Kinda like cats . . .

Missy @missy

@mirime:

As for hunting, that’s what cats do – well, most of them. When the odd person has told me that they don’t like cats because they kill wildlife, I remind them that if dogs could climb trees, so would they. Also, cats do not hunt in packs , bring down sheep and lambs and attack children or adults. You,  I tell them,  don’t like them because you can’t order them about – simple as that.

@ichabod:

He’s a bad, cat. Have you tried pepper?

Missy

Mirime @mirime

We’ve had good hunters and terrible hunters (one was very proud of the slug he caught), usually the females are better, but Guybrush has proved to be an exception.

I prefer it if the gift is alive and uninjured and I really object to dead rats being dropped on the kitchen tops, but if you have cats and let them out you have to expect the occasional something.

Must admit I did take steps to protect the lizards and slow worms at our previous house, but that was easier than for the birds and rodents.

Missy @missy

@mirime:

Thing is, they are cats not far down or up the scale of their wild counterparts – what do people expect?

They are hunters yes, but so are we.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Some chap called Gareth Roberts points out (quite rightly) that we never find out why the TARDIS fled from Mars…

mars flee

janetteB @janetteb

This thread has turned into a discussion about cats and I have been missing it. My fault for not keeping up with every discussion, my cat, who is desperate to sit on my Wacom tablet is currently glaring at me because I won’t let him. As to killers of wildlife, our dog has killed more birds than the cat and eradicated our backyard lizard population which I find hard to forgive. In a country like Australia the environmental impact of domestic pets is painfully evident but not nearly so evident as the damage done by their owners.

And now back to Empress of Mars. I suspect the fleeing Tardis was merely a plot device which is best accepted rather than analysed, ie “because the script required it”. (There clumsy attempt to get back on topic.)

Cheers
    Janette

MissRori @missrori

@janetteb Yeah, what was up with the TARDIS can only be one of those riddles for the ages.  Part of the mystique….  😉

Missy @missy

….or, she wanted Nardole to fetch Missy – mayhap?

@janetteb:

AH! Evidence that dogs are also killers of wild life – as are we.

Viewing 21 posts - 151 through 171 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.