General Music thread 4

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 4

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  doctor-levina 4 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

We have a new music thread. I will start the new thread off with what I think is a modern classic pop song. Apropos of nothing. Nothing to do with Who, I just like it. And it reminds me of a time when I was a bit more wild than I am these days.

The previous thread can be found here:

https://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/general-music-thread-3/

Whisht @whisht

Hi all – I’ve been tardy and not logged in to thank @craig for the new Music thread (yes the other one was creaking a bit!)

So….. flowers !!

So here are three ‘flower’ songs:
    Some classic shoe-gazing from Galaxie 500 –

Then some live (fiddly) stuff from Radiohead

and finished off with some polished David Sylvian

It may well be all a little ‘precious’ but whatever – if ya want something more caustic then I’ll go Pil and Damned !!

;¬)

Whisht @whisht

So, I saw on the news that a known racist and bigot in the UK, has had milkshake thrown over him on a couple of occasions recently and thought “I wonder would @pedant approve?”

;¬)

Anyway, here’s something…. provocative in completely other ways.
    {ahem}

@whisht

Intolerant; lactose

(Or Tommy Bukkake, depending on which tweeter you were following…)

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – oooof – that’s strong, but yeah.

Don’t be hurt if I don’t find a song to match your reply though!

One of the greatest singing voices you will ever hear:

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant You beat me to it. But here’s the beautiful clip from ‘The Man Who Knew Too Much’.

Truly one of the greats.

@craig

Any excuse (this actually trended on Twitter longer than que sera)…

syzygy @thane16

@pedant  @craig

Absolutely phenomenal, wasn’t she?

Two nights ago we were watching a Doris Day movie (hadn’t done this in AGES) and when we awoke the next morning, found out she’d died.

A genuine talent to be missed.

syzygy @thane16

I remember many eons ago putting on Calamity Jane – we had a drum-kit & 2 keyboards only & a fantastic young Maori lass as Calamity.  “Calamity’s word is sacred!”

@thane16

So that’s where Meatloaf got the inspiration for this performance of Paradise By The Dashboard Light, featuring the sublime Karla DeVito

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Well, normally I’d agree but Meatloaf is TGOAT -his inspiration only from Zeus. Karla is Hecate. Or….something.

She’s unbelievably good isn’t she?

And I think, I think, Paradise is the best rock song ever written, actually.

Closely followed, of course, by Wilde’s Kids in America…. (Seen recently in S2 of Killing Eve)

Puro

@thane16

It Doris remembering to keep *acting* during the song in the performance that triggered the link.

If you click through to that video the uploader got a note from DeVito, who was very keen that all who did that tour got credit. Ellen Foley on the rekkid, of course.

This is the performance that “broke” Meatloaf, who up to this had struggled for airplay, and led to Bat Out of Hell being in the UK Album charts (as well as many others) for 7 straight years. OGWT did that for a couple of people who went on the great things (The Police, if memory serves, among other).

And I saw it the first time round… Thank you Whispering Bob Harris (and mum and dad for letting me stay up to watch it – it was the talk of school the next Monday).

If you can track down the Old Grey Whistle Test Definitive Collection (BBC DVD) it is totally worth it. All live performances, with no studio audience. It was *entirely* about the music.

syzygy @thane16

@pedant indeed yes, this track showed his comedic quality when prior it was all “take me very seriously intensity.”

Whistle Test -know it well. Various faculties had access to whole boxes of recorded cassettes!

Time was a beast, though.

Whisht @whisht

@thane16 “Syzygy” – wonderful!

and on googling it, I discovered this….

I think its just right.

I’m now off to listen to more of them!
    ;¬)

syzygy @thane16

@whisht

Oh now, that is VERY interesting -a double minimalist piece using contrary time sigs!

Exactly like Thane and I !

Naturally, I thought we were no longer @Thane’s but ….the other ….one…which I can’t ever spell. Actually I can’t be in the same room as the ….other one or we go all “kerblooey.”

Sygers.

syzygy @thane16

I know it aint Christmas but I wanted some Benjamin Britten I could actually share with you. ‘This Little Babe’ is considered one of the most challenging for any children’s choir. Our nun, a delightful demon by the name of Sister Alphonsus taught it to us in 4 months. At this tempo. Which is correct. 1 min 3o seconds generally. They came in a little tardy but niiice. Applause deserved. No wonder the conductor looks slim: she burns a thousand calories every time!

Syzygy the elder.

Whisht @whisht

hey Sygers (!) @thane16
    glad you like the Japanese band’s song – though it was the first I listened to it did seem the best after clicking on a few others!

And LOVED the Britten – when do they breathe??

Below is an oblique song as I can’t think of a better one for Paul Darrow’s character in Blake’s 7.
    His character was similar to ‘the bad guy in the good guy’s team’ eg Toby Meres (Anthony Valentine) or maybe Cross (Patrick Mower) in Callan.

But (my sepia memory) of Darrow was of a far more nuanced character (which … erm.. isn’t exactly illustrated by this animation but… hey ho)

Though perhaps showing my age, the first time I think I heard this song was by the more tuneful Siouxsie

syzygy @thane16

@whisht Thank you for that link & the lovely “trust in me; sssleep ssafe & ssound” with its gorgeous sibilants. And unfortunately I don’t know Darrow very well at all. So I’ll try to educate myself.

Also @arbutus where be you?

The Britten choon is quirky, Whisht, but the breathing is quite ‘exact’ & whilst the impression created is they’re all singing at once with no time to pause, they actually do because of the format of the canon. A jolly good one & sung at terrific pace which was Britten’s intent. Sleight of hand & voice, I believe.

Sygers

Whisht @whisht

Awww

“Sad news one morning, got out the break of day…”
    Dr John has passed away

Here’s his song Marie Laveau (Dr John is kind’ve a male version of her character).

“She made Gris Gris shh kaa shh kaa”

and some boogie piano playing (I was looking for a live version but the ones I found are a bit ‘fast’).

Arbutus @arbutus

@thane16    Oh it’s you! 🙂 I read the notification and wondered who the heck is this Syzygy person?

I’ve been thinking of this lovely eclectic bunch of humans recently and been meaning to jump back into the pool, but I’m so easily distracted these days. I even made the Duolingo Owl cry. (I’ll be getting back at that Spanish shortly, I promise!) Lots of great posts on here as always, although too many inspired by sad events. I saw a wonderful video clip of the parade for Dr. John in N.O. Mr. Arbutus was absolutely delighted to see so many in-tune trombones in one place.  🙂

I can see I have a lot of reading to do on other threads, and I will do it. Meanwhile, hope everyone and everything is flowing along as usual.   *heart*

doctor-levina @doctor-levina
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.