General Music thread 4

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 4

This topic contains 480 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  idiotsavon 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@winston @whisht

Unfortunately it was the virus that got him – which is especially sad as there was probably no long-term build up and maybe very little family allowed to visit him.

However, it was lovely to see “Dave Greenfield” and “Golden Brown” trending number 1 and 2 on Twitter in the UK last night.

winston @winston

@craig  My husband told me today that it was covid. He has been talking about the band and singing songs all day. It is so sad  about the people being alone at the end. Just too sad.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Something to cheer the soul. I really liked this. Despite all the lockdowns etc. I love how we are now getting raw performances. Featuring Colin Hay who was the vocalist and guitarist in Men at Work (a Scottish born person, I should add).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Damn, just after posting something nice, something sad happens. Florian Schneider, co-founder of Kraftwerk, has passed from cancer. A massively influential career. I mean, music wouldn’t be anything like it is today without those guys messing about with boxes and wires to make sounds.

Whisht @whisht

@craig – I just saw the news and logged in to say something similar.

Massively influential.

I first heard Kraftwerk (maybe like many in UK) from watching a Tomorrow’s World (popular technology/ culture programme).

Now this is insane – if the video title is to be believed I was 4 when I saw this but I remember it clearly.

I thought “wow” (and wondered “I love it but what is it?”).
    70’s 80’s kids show (well, at least one) also lifted the sound from them.

Then my brother had the Autobahn cassette and I probably wore it out while reading rubbish books like Han Solo’s Revenge.
    When I was… 10? 11?

sigh – we had ‘fun’ (maybe) linking Kraftwerk to this season’s episodes.
    I can’t think of anything other than Autobahn to add but that’s cos I don’t know Kraftwerk’s work in depth.

This was an “aww no..”

And then I read that Millie Small also died.
    Influential in a different way. My Boy Lollipop was an early widely popular ska hit in UK/US (maybe wider) and certainly made a huge impact in making Jamaican music more ‘acceptable’ to a single-buying public, even if musicians were already being influenced by this new sound.
    This hit allowed the ska-influenced bands like Clash, Madness, Two Tone etc etc to be popular in a way that if there hadn’t been this single they wouldn’t have had such fertile ears/ ground.

Thanks for posting some music simply for its joy – I need to re-engage more and link to artists rather than just when they die.

syzygy @thane16

Bowie said people who get music get silence. I’d heard that before -from Hockney the painter.

Something radioactive. It kinda fits.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  syzygy. Reason: Kraftwerk science
    syzygy @thane16

Julian Cope, a musicologist, thought Kraftwerk & the not-always-so-related Krautrock were like Chinese Whispers to the Brits. He suggested Kraftwerk was misinterpreted outside the German music scene -to the extent it lost its flash.

Judging by the spread of Kraftwerk  -Johnny Marr was riveted, for example- I don’t entirely agree with Cope. Legend Conny Plank was one effects master for Kraftwerk using a type of electronic (non conventional- instrumental) flanging.  Plank also died of cancer (’87).

Kraftwerk listened to lots & admired Le Caine:

Whisht @whisht

{sigh}

Little Richard has died.

I tend to only embed one song even if I link to several.
    Not this time.
    Here’s three.

syzygy @thane16

@whisht. Man, I knew this was coming!

I had that feeling. 🙁

Tutti-Frutti was something I danced to with my mum when I was younger. Everyone loved it.

syzygy @thane16

Ya’ll know I pump out some Bowie, from time to time, But I thought I’d post this which I saw on telly yonks ago.

There was a big argument on telly last night as to how influential Lil Richard was…did he start rock ‘n’ roll? Probably not, exactly, but boy did he influence Lennon, Jagger, McCartney’s solo career, Elton, The Cure, The Clash. The Stooges, Tracy Chapman, Johnny  Cash…(& I only referred to 1 female artist. Aint enough!).

How you be going @whisht?

Old Syzygy.

Whisht @whisht

hey @thane16 old and young – I’m doing well thanks.

And that’s quite enough about me!

;¬)

Here’s something I found simply by searching my iTunes for relevant words…

kinda pretty (not their best evah etc etc, but pretty is quite ok right now).

Whisht @whisht

@thane16
    That is an awesome live track by Kraftwerk.
    So rhythmic, dancey, pulsating yet controlled.
    And with all that, its not a cold, robotic sound – there’s a ton of warmth in it.

wow.

and I’ve never heard of or any Hugh Le Caine.
    And yes its obvious that the sounds are similar (especially in this track). But I love how Kraftwerk brought a… I don’t know the right word… ‘pastoral’? ‘organic'(?) quality to their music.
    Its got a pulse in every sense.

Oh and the Bowie one was hilarious and slightly demented (which is also a good thing)

;¬)

Thanks so much for sharing

Jabru @jabru

@whisht thanks, glad you like it!

Shame there isn’t this much interest in the TV Show thread. Music is great and all, but look how much great TV there is at the moment!

Mudlark @mudlark

As the Doctor says, ‘… never give up, never give in’, and in the time of Covid-19 that is something to bear in mind. Hence this

The original context (Catalonia) is not necessarily relevant, but it speaks to the times.

Hope that everyone is keeping well and managing to prevail against all difficulties and anxieties. This too will pass eventually.

Whisht @whisht

Whisht @whisht

So, been watching Devs (an Alex Garland TV series).

Kinda ‘cold’ in a way, but also austere/ beautiful/ elegant.

Maybe elegant is what he was aiming at.
    No spoilers from me, but overall I enjoyed it – not “oh my gawd you must watch this!” but still, glad I saw it.

But here’s a couple of tracks from it/ that made me think ‘ooh, is that..?’

There was a bit of Garbarek/ Hilliard ensemble Officium.
    There was also Reich Come Out.
    It was odd to me that I recognised quite a bit of the references and I’m not that steeped in this music, so… not sure whether they plumped for “they’ll know this reference” or not. But I’m definitely within the catchment of the show.

Anyway there was this and I’m sure I’m playing to the gallery here (though I didn’t know this one!:

And maybe this too I think is either in it, or the things that influenced it are in it.
    (I forst heard Caroline Shaw waay late in a Stewart Copeland BBC thing and still think it feels a little show-offy but there are moments where I think ‘yeah! that worked!’)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@whisht

It has been a while since you have been around. Have not seen Devs yet. Clearly, I should.

Must ask you a question, but it means heading over to another page. So…

Whisht @whisht

So Happy 4th of July.

I watched the Wattstax doc recently and so am on a bit of a funk thang.

This is just fun (and I seem to recognise lines and samples from it maybe)

simply enjoy!

Just read that Ennio Morricone died. He represented a huge part of my life at the movies, particularly, but not limited to, the Sergio Leone movies. I have posted extracts from some of those before, so shall not do it again (well, not now). Perhaps there are others, such as Syzygy the elder…

@thane16

are you out there?…who could reflect in a more knowledgeable way. For me, his scores were not simply emotionally heightened, they were romantic and transcendent.

RIP.

Whisht @whisht

Peter Green is someone who I don’t know enough about.

Realising that there are a multitude of artists who held him in high regard, it just makes me realise I have to visit his work.

BB King said generous things about his tone which is kinda incredible and though I don’t know what BB King was responding to, here is Peter Green live

Whisht @whisht

hi all,

just wanted to post something here which:
    – wasn’t because anyone died

… erm that was it.

When the Doctor returns, I’m sure she’ll inspire better and more relevant music

;)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-dqW4uBEE

Whisht @whisht

hello all – long time reader seldom (recently) poster….

here’s something to start us off in terms of spooky stuff for Halloween.
    Maybe I should’ve started with something shorter and sillier but…

hey ho.

or…
    Hey whoooooooooo….

@whisht, Thanks for the halloween contribution! I am sitting here, on the day after Halloween, it is a stunningly gorgeous autumn day, the leaves on the trees are vibrantly golden and red, and it just seems, emotionally, like a good day.

So I thought I would offer up this, both for the music, and the staging, and because it reminds me of good times, and those seem to be what we need right now.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  Thanks for that! I loved this performance when I first saw it and I love it still. It is so beautiful that it brings tears to my eyes. k.d. lang is a massive talent performing a song written by Leonard Cohen, who needs any more. I love this song and I am going to listen again.

Stay safe.

Whisht @whisht

ah @blenkinsopthebrave – good times indeed!
    Love kd lang (though don’t listen to her enough – or maybe I just don’t indulge on a rich wine too often!)

which made me find another beautiful voice…

Mudlark @mudlark

@blenkinsopthebrave

Strangely enough, it was this k.d.lang track that was running through my brain for much of yesterday, and I even thought of signing in to post it myself, not being aware that you had already done so several days previously 🙂

Jérôme @omega1972
    Whisht @whisht

Merry Xmas everyone!

I wanted to find a song that somehow encapsulated the feelings of people estranged from loved ones.

But that was a bit hard.

So I opened my music player and searched for “love”.
    Which brought me this lovely song by Bjork, a song that suggests (although it may feel different) Love is all around, although maybe not from the directions you’re expecting.
    Even though its lyrics suggest that the person being sung to is at a point where they can’t see the love (which isn’t right for people here) I was happy enough with that choice, but I had posted it here before (maybe for a previous xmas).

So I kept scrolling down the songs it had found for “love”.

Now, this is not what I was thinking of posting.
    Its not some treatise on how we all need to love each other (and ourselves!).
    Its not about love bringing us a joy that the world would somehow seem to want us not to have.

No.

Its quite shallow, although {ahem} deep in some ways.

Its also funky as hell.

If you’re not moving or smiling after this then…. well, find some music that does ‘cos I’m out of ideas!

;¬)

God Jul from Copenhagen
    x

(I posted a vinyl video not because I’m a vinyl junkie – I only have CDs – but its a bit crisper and I remember there is a member here who has a very extensive vinyl collection and might enjoy!)

Arbutus @arbutus

I’ve been listening a lot to Fred Hersch’s absolutely gorgeous pandemic recording. Here’s one track, but the whole thing is beautiful.

It was 1964. Gerry Marsden. I am starting to realise how old I am.

OsdfFdsfg @osdffdsfg

Are oneself a lover of the Fresh new Orleans Saints? Wanting for Fresh Orleans Saints podcasts at present that Saints soccer is in excess of? Specifically due to the fact there aren any much more Saints video games, doesn indicate Saints podcasts close all through the offseason https://www.nofanstoreonline.com/Lorenzo_Neal_T_shirt-459.The 2021 NFL Draft is just about on us – consequently take all of your Saints draft insurance coverage listed here!We contain acquired oneself established with all the simplest regional podcasts for all of your Saints podcasts youl will need Demario Davis Hoodie. That directly: podcasts which include Canal St. Chronicles, Locked Upon Saints, and hence a lot further more!Canal Road ChroniclesFeaturing Brenden ErtleLocked Upon SaintsFeaturing Ross JacksonWho Dat ConfessionalFeaturing Deuce Windham, Ross Jackson, and Maddy HudakStraight-Up SaintsFeaturing Chris RosvoglouMake certain your self observe Canal Highway Chronicles upon Twitter at SaintsCSC, ikeus upon Fb at Canal Highway Chronicles, observe us upon Instagram at SaintsCSC and generate certain youe subscribed towards our fresh YouTube channel. Further more VersusCanal Road Chronicles With a contemporary quarterback, barometer for achievements altering for Michael Thomas Dr. Sharif Tabbah talks Kwon Alexander restoration and excess 5 burning inquiries for the 2021 Fresh Orleans Saints Fleur-de-Inbound links, June 1: Teddy Bridgewater speaks upon his season enjoying for the Saints 2 avid gamers the Fresh new Orleans Saints ought to seem to be in the direction of produce Canal Road Chronicles provides Co-Functioning EditorGreatest Go throughFleur-de-Hyperlinks, June 1: Teddy Bridgewater speaks upon his year enjoying for the Saints Below are your everyday Contemporary Orleans Saints hyperlinks 5 burning concerns for the 2021 Fresh Orleans Saints And I assure https://www.nofanstoreonline.com/Wil_Lutz_Flag-367, not all of them are regarding Jameis vs Taysom. 2 gamers the Fresh Orleans Saints should really seem to be in direction of just take Fresh Orleans really should appear to be towards consider support within just the passing activity and secondary Dr. Sharif Tabbah talks Kwon Alexander restoration and extra The health care provider is within the household With a contemporary quarterback, barometer for results altering for Michael Thomas Thomas may well not move again in the direction of the video clip recreation quantities he was inserting up inside of 2019, yet he even now is made up of all of the have an effect on of a ultimate flight recipientconcertAdsQueue.

syzygy @thane16

Charlie Watts died at 80 .

as The Stones played a shadow role to the Beatles, & I’ve often seen the former’s turbulence as outlandish, misogynist but never equivocal or ironic, & whilst I still loved ‘em (sometimes), I liked Watts’ Quintet, & his role in those comps, & in his drawing & art, more.

He was a really clever swing musician; a sardonic guy, a tad more subtle in that life than in the Stone’s personality (except for his 40s when he  danced with heroin & coke).

& he loved Charles (Bird) Parker <i>&</i> Mingus.

😔

syzygy @thane16

our dearest @cathannabel, having heard of your husband’s death last night, I wanted to express our family’s sympathy with some Mompou. It’s a piece of  joy & delight: playful & untroubled; but melancholic & grave too.

Whisht @whisht

Hi again all, hope you’re well.

Here’s a track for the Halloween Apocalypse.
    Rather than some of the harsher stuff that came up around some of the themes, I thought I’d start off this season with something a bit more gentle, perhaps even pastoral.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I’m not sure if this will work. But I’m gonna try. If it’s a code mess, please forgive me.

I was a bit bored so I checked what was the Top 40 in the UK the week I was born.

Spotify only had 35 of the Top 40 – but, if I have to say myself, it was great week to be born.

Whisht @whisht

oooh – great embed there @craig !
    I think our birthdays may not be far apart ;¬)

Whisht @whisht

For War with the Sontarans, here’s a song I haven’t heard in many years:
    Tragedy Rocks – The Crimea

“It was magnifico while it lasted,
    it was kooky as kooky could be,
    but every time look what happened,
    darkness broke free”

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Thanks @whisht – I have a big 50th (not mine – a friend’s) that I’ve been asked to DJ at. So I was checking tunes on birthdays. Turns out the guy’s birthday No.1 is Benny Hill – ‘Ernie the fastest milkman in the west’

I might try to do a FatBoy Slim style remix for a laugh. But a friend of mine just said to do top tracks from 1971. And there are a lot of great tunes there.

The Most Influential Albums Of 1971: A Year That Changed Music Forever

Whisht @whisht

Hey @craig – that list of songs from 1971 is really interesting. Lot of Latin love in there as well as the usual rock and pop… and Benny Hill ;¬D

Number 1 when I was born was apparently this little choon.
    Not a bad one tbh

winston @winston

@whisht  That is a great song and it inspired me to look mine up. It was Teen Angel by Mark Dinning, seriously Teen Angel?  I have no idea how to post it and even if I did……I might not.Not a bad song but not cool at all. Oh well I have never been accused of being cool.

Stay safe.

@winston

Hope this works

And this is from me

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  It did work, thanks.  I am soooo old!

Your song is a great one. Nat King Cole is one of my faves and he is very cool.

Stay safe.

winston @winston

Teen Angel is a really sad song.

@winston

You are just a young slip of a thing. Nat King Cole sung that song in the year of my birth…1952.

Whisht @whisht

@blenkinsopthebrave – Nat King Cole is a classic.
    and Teen Angel @winston reminds me that I think there’s a whole genre of teenager-dying songs.
    Just not sure I want to look them up, but maybe a connection with motorcycles etc etc.

But fun sharing!

Whisht @whisht

So – for Once, Upon Time I really have not found something interesting to link with music-wise.

So I’ll simply lean on this for a loose connection…

Whisht @whisht

So – Village of the Angels

I’ve no real appetite to listen to the Pink Floyd album The Division Bell (I’ve never listened to it) but if its a fave of anyone’s, feel free to share!
    Maybe I’ll like it :¬)

When a character said “Its happening again” I immediately thought of this song.
    And then I saw the video and I realised where it took its sample from.
    @blenkinsopthebrave mentioned a feeling of Twin Peaks.

:¬o

But as the above is so short and disturbing, I’ll also leave this

syzygy @thane16

I’m late to the party: but I’ll choose Rigby, it wasn’t 1967 (my year) but ’66. But McCartney won a grammy in ’67 for this. He’s underrated as a musician. In fact, I’ve found an almost testicular dislike for The Beatles as a band in many quarters, with a lot of sniggering reserved for Paul. But Lennon contributed very little to this. Which is interesting…

Head to YT: because you can find SO many wonderful interpretations under the Yellow Submarine single or the UK edition of Revolver -my favourite all-time album.

Puro.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 481 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.