General Music thread 4

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 4

This topic contains 420 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Whisht 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 401 through 421 (of 421 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@winston @whisht

Unfortunately it was the virus that got him – which is especially sad as there was probably no long-term build up and maybe very little family allowed to visit him.

However, it was lovely to see “Dave Greenfield” and “Golden Brown” trending number 1 and 2 on Twitter in the UK last night.

winston @winston

@craig  My husband told me today that it was covid. He has been talking about the band and singing songs all day. It is so sad  about the people being alone at the end. Just too sad.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Something to cheer the soul. I really liked this. Despite all the lockdowns etc. I love how we are now getting raw performances. Featuring Colin Hay who was the vocalist and guitarist in Men at Work (a Scottish born person, I should add).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Damn, just after posting something nice, something sad happens. Florian Schneider, co-founder of Kraftwerk, has passed from cancer. A massively influential career. I mean, music wouldn’t be anything like it is today without those guys messing about with boxes and wires to make sounds.

Whisht @whisht

@craig – I just saw the news and logged in to say something similar.

Massively influential.

I first heard Kraftwerk (maybe like many in UK) from watching a Tomorrow’s World (popular technology/ culture programme).

Now this is insane – if the video title is to be believed I was 4 when I saw this but I remember it clearly.

I thought “wow” (and wondered “I love it but what is it?”).
    70’s 80’s kids show (well, at least one) also lifted the sound from them.

Then my brother had the Autobahn cassette and I probably wore it out while reading rubbish books like Han Solo’s Revenge.
    When I was… 10? 11?

sigh – we had ‘fun’ (maybe) linking Kraftwerk to this season’s episodes.
    I can’t think of anything other than Autobahn to add but that’s cos I don’t know Kraftwerk’s work in depth.

This was an “aww no..”

And then I read that Millie Small also died.
    Influential in a different way. My Boy Lollipop was an early widely popular ska hit in UK/US (maybe wider) and certainly made a huge impact in making Jamaican music more ‘acceptable’ to a single-buying public, even if musicians were already being influenced by this new sound.
    This hit allowed the ska-influenced bands like Clash, Madness, Two Tone etc etc to be popular in a way that if there hadn’t been this single they wouldn’t have had such fertile ears/ ground.

Thanks for posting some music simply for its joy – I need to re-engage more and link to artists rather than just when they die.

syzygy @thane16

Bowie said people who get music get silence. I’d heard that before -from Hockney the painter.

Something radioactive. It kinda fits.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  syzygy. Reason: Kraftwerk science
    syzygy @thane16

Julian Cope, a musicologist, thought Kraftwerk & the not-always-so-related Krautrock were like Chinese Whispers to the Brits. He suggested Kraftwerk was misinterpreted outside the German music scene -to the extent it lost its flash.

Judging by the spread of Kraftwerk  -Johnny Marr was riveted, for example- I don’t entirely agree with Cope. Legend Conny Plank was one effects master for Kraftwerk using a type of electronic (non conventional- instrumental) flanging.  Plank also died of cancer (’87).

Kraftwerk listened to lots & admired Le Caine:

Whisht @whisht

{sigh}

Little Richard has died.

I tend to only embed one song even if I link to several.
    Not this time.
    Here’s three.

syzygy @thane16

@whisht. Man, I knew this was coming!

I had that feeling. 🙁

Tutti-Frutti was something I danced to with my mum when I was younger. Everyone loved it.

syzygy @thane16

Ya’ll know I pump out some Bowie, from time to time, But I thought I’d post this which I saw on telly yonks ago.

There was a big argument on telly last night as to how influential Lil Richard was…did he start rock ‘n’ roll? Probably not, exactly, but boy did he influence Lennon, Jagger, McCartney’s solo career, Elton, The Cure, The Clash. The Stooges, Tracy Chapman, Johnny  Cash…(& I only referred to 1 female artist. Aint enough!).

How you be going @whisht?

Old Syzygy.

Whisht @whisht

hey @thane16 old and young – I’m doing well thanks.

And that’s quite enough about me!

;¬)

Here’s something I found simply by searching my iTunes for relevant words…

kinda pretty (not their best evah etc etc, but pretty is quite ok right now).

Whisht @whisht

@thane16
    That is an awesome live track by Kraftwerk.
    So rhythmic, dancey, pulsating yet controlled.
    And with all that, its not a cold, robotic sound – there’s a ton of warmth in it.

wow.

and I’ve never heard of or any Hugh Le Caine.
    And yes its obvious that the sounds are similar (especially in this track). But I love how Kraftwerk brought a… I don’t know the right word… ‘pastoral’? ‘organic'(?) quality to their music.
    Its got a pulse in every sense.

Oh and the Bowie one was hilarious and slightly demented (which is also a good thing)

;¬)

Thanks so much for sharing

Jabru @jabru

@whisht thanks, glad you like it!

Shame there isn’t this much interest in the TV Show thread. Music is great and all, but look how much great TV there is at the moment!

Mudlark @mudlark

As the Doctor says, ‘… never give up, never give in’, and in the time of Covid-19 that is something to bear in mind. Hence this

The original context (Catalonia) is not necessarily relevant, but it speaks to the times.

Hope that everyone is keeping well and managing to prevail against all difficulties and anxieties. This too will pass eventually.

Whisht @whisht

Whisht @whisht

So, been watching Devs (an Alex Garland TV series).

Kinda ‘cold’ in a way, but also austere/ beautiful/ elegant.

Maybe elegant is what he was aiming at.
    No spoilers from me, but overall I enjoyed it – not “oh my gawd you must watch this!” but still, glad I saw it.

But here’s a couple of tracks from it/ that made me think ‘ooh, is that..?’

There was a bit of Garbarek/ Hilliard ensemble Officium.
    There was also Reich Come Out.
    It was odd to me that I recognised quite a bit of the references and I’m not that steeped in this music, so… not sure whether they plumped for “they’ll know this reference” or not. But I’m definitely within the catchment of the show.

Anyway there was this and I’m sure I’m playing to the gallery here (though I didn’t know this one!:

And maybe this too I think is either in it, or the things that influenced it are in it.
    (I forst heard Caroline Shaw waay late in a Stewart Copeland BBC thing and still think it feels a little show-offy but there are moments where I think ‘yeah! that worked!’)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@whisht

It has been a while since you have been around. Have not seen Devs yet. Clearly, I should.

Must ask you a question, but it means heading over to another page. So…

Whisht @whisht

So Happy 4th of July.

I watched the Wattstax doc recently and so am on a bit of a funk thang.

This is just fun (and I seem to recognise lines and samples from it maybe)

simply enjoy!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Just read that Ennio Morricone died. He represented a huge part of my life at the movies, particularly, but not limited to, the Sergio Leone movies. I have posted extracts from some of those before, so shall not do it again (well, not now). Perhaps there are others, such as Syzygy the elder…

@thane16

are you out there?…who could reflect in a more knowledgeable way. For me, his scores were not simply emotionally heightened, they were romantic and transcendent.

RIP.

Whisht @whisht

Peter Green is someone who I don’t know enough about.

Realising that there are a multitude of artists who held him in high regard, it just makes me realise I have to visit his work.

BB King said generous things about his tone which is kinda incredible and though I don’t know what BB King was responding to, here is Peter Green live

Viewing 21 posts - 401 through 421 (of 421 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.