General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

Hmm, not sure why but that second track won’t embed 😕

FaeGrl @faegrl

Only because someone mentioned Gallifrey today in another post:

Whisht @whisht

ok – heading off to bed then up in a few hours and flying.

So, will leave with a couple of tracks (but it’ll be a month before I know what you thought of them!).

Above (yeasterday?) I think I was saying to @arbutus that I’d been listening to more (recorded) live music and here’s one that I’ve had on a few times. First time I heard it, I thought it was extraordinary. Then heard it a couple of times a lot later and thought “hm, maybe..”, but heard it again recently and know my initial reaction was right – it is extraordinary.

(and no, I’m thankfully not heartbroken – especially if it results in this kind of emotion!)

As that track would be a bit of a downer to leave on(!) I’ll post a track a friend shared with me as she moaned “you don’t have any fun music” (and she was quite right – even the fun stuff is kinda witty fun or ‘weird humour’ fun or whatever).

so, here’s some happy music:

(I swear at 2.43 there’s a guy in a bow tie…)

See you all in a month!

Anonymous @

@whisht  sorry yes, I meant the Saints but I said the album name instead: it was early and I’d just blearily opened the computer up, so apologies. happy hols 🙂 Kindest, puro

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@faegrl – Doctor Who soundtracks! Yay!

FaeGrl @faegrl

@whisht – Have a great trip and happy holiday! 🙂

@monochromedimension – Yes! I love that one “I’m The Doctor” and had explained last week to someone on here that it’s my ring tone for my phone.  I love the soundtrack for the series and admire the BBC Symphony Orchestra!

My other favorite is, “The Doctor’s Theme”:

wolfweed @wolfweed

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht

Belated happy birthday. @craig beat me to my first choice, but this has a sort of travel related theme as well, so seemed appropriate too – happy trails 😀

And keeping on a Simpsons theme (this is very short, audio only) –

ScaryB @scaryb

@arbutus Agree with you re Lau – great stuff

@wolfweed Play your own theremin here

http://femurdesign.com/theremin/

@faegrl – Because you posted that track… I have to post this track!

Dunno if any of you guys are into Classical, but this is my favourite (non-soundtrack) classical piece;

Holst’s ‘Jupiter’ from ‘The Planets’ Suite. Written between 1914 and 1916. It is kinda long, but thought I’d randomly post it.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Oh, my gosh! I love the “Doomsday Theme”! Although, I can listen to that one much anymore, because when I lost my “companion” I would listen to that track over and over for months at a time, lamenting in the dark. Yes, I’m a dramatic little weirdo! 😉

I would have liked to check out the other… sadly, it’s “unavailable to your country”. It seems like Youtube wouldn’t have such restrictions, but they do. Sigh. 🙁

I see your Doomsday Theme and raise you:

@faegrl – Eep, sorry about that. 🙁

More Doctor Who music eh? Okay, lets see… I’m going to post something a bit different!

‘The Dawn of the Doctor’ by AktionMusic. Theme tune remix. I’ve got addicted to listening to this recently, its not like any other Doctor Who remix I’ve heard before.

Anonymous @

@FaeGril @monochromedimension – I’m raising the stakes 😉

Arbutus @arbutus

@monochromedimension  I love a bit of Holst! And it’s even Who-related, being about space.  🙂  @faegrl  This link should work for you. There are a bunch of versions on YouTube, and I picked this one by the Chicago Symphony, because my husband, a trombone player, always used to talk about American-style vs. European-style brass sound (now is that geeky enough for you? 😆 )

I’m really enjoying the Battle of the Doctor Who themes!

@arbutus – Thanks for that! Not sure why the other vid was region locked, very odd.

@faegrl @fatmaninabox – Okay…! Nothing can beat this;

The original Doctor Who theme, no other version has been better than this. Though I do like many other versions, especially the 80s themes. But this is the Doctor Who theme! So perfectly mysterious.

Arbutus @arbutus

@monochromedimension

As promised, two tracks of 17th century English music. (Another time, so as not to swamp the thread and bore everyone, I will share some lovely Italian and French music.) Hope you enjoy! First, a very famous lute song by John Dowland, as sung by the amazing countertenor Andreas Scholl.

And a lovely viol consort by William Lawes:

Arbutus @arbutus

And yes, @monochromedimension, love that fabulous theme. There was some discussion about it earlier in the thread, as I recall. Really magical.

@arbutus – Thank you for posting those 17th century pieces! The first one is so beautiful and haunting. Even though I like to research the 17th century every now and again, I haven’t visited the musical aspect of it before.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – No, you have absolute nothing to be sorry for. I still love the song! 🙂

That’s a pretty cool remix! Anyone else get goosebumps when they hear the sound of the TARDIS? But yes, nothing beats the original theme!

Nice one, @fatmaninabox !  I do love the soundtrack for the series, just for these very epic tracks that paint a picture all on their own. 🙂

@arbutus – Thanks for the link! I don’t know why there was a restriction on the other one. Youtube makes no sense with it’s rules sometimes. And I happen to know this one too, by Holst. I just never knew the name of it before. I’ve learned something new today! 😀

In keeping with the Doctor Who song theme:

@faegrl – Vale Decem is such a sad song, I mean the Tenth Doctor isn’t one of my favourites or anything, but seriously that scene makes me want to cry.

I’ll post more vids later, its got a bit late here now.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – The Tenth is my most favorite, besides the Fourth. But I agree, this is a seriously sad scene. I wanted to add a more happy song, but couldn’t think of one… as the best ones are posted already… I think. Besides this one, but it’s just another version of the “I’m The Doctor” theme:

@faegrl – I hadn’t listened to that track properly before, I really like it. Especially as it emphasizes more on the clock-like noise; I have an obsession for time-pieces (especially mechanical), so I like it when songs and music incorporated the sounds of clocks/watches etc.

As I posted my favourite Doctor’s theme, here’s my other favourite Doctor’s theme!

How very 80s. I always thought the Seventh Doctor’s intro was the weirdest intro for any Doctor… it uses the middle-eight… in the intro! Wha… what? Oh well, its cool! Also sorry its not the full theme, couldn’t find it.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Oh, which song? Do you mean the “Timelord Victorious” one or the earlier theme of “Gallifrey”? I love the Gallifrey one because of the clockwork within it. I have that in common with you, I happen to love clocks and as I child I would take clocks apart and then put them back together again. I horrified my mother with this, as she would find me with the family clocks taken apart, and began screaming that I was destroying property. But I assured her that I was fixing the, which I had done, they were either running too fast or too slow, and I would repair them to work perfectly. I lost that talent though, but I love those themes within the music. 🙂

And yes, I completely love the Seventh Doctor theme and the music within the show. It’s very 80’s! And it makes me feel so very nostalgic for those times!

My Who soundtrack for today:

@faegrl – ‘The Sun’s Gone Wibbly’, ‘This is Gallifrey’ and ‘I am the Doctor’ use the clock-like noise. I dunno, I just love time-pieces! Also steam-driven machines from the 1800s as well.

For Seventh Doctor soundtracks, I suggest checking out the music for ‘The Greatest Show in the Galaxy’, its so surreal/creepy/atmospheric… as is the serial!

Here’s what I’ve been listening to today;

I adore the beginning of this track! It worked so well in ‘Asylum of the Daleks’ because it actually suits the Daleks more than Amy and Rory at the beginning! In my opinion… lol! But yes, then it gets very pretty and not Dalek-esque. Hahahaha. If they had used something like the opening of this track, maybe mixed with the ‘Dalek Control Room’ radiophonic effect, for a theme for the Daleks… I would be happy.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@monochromedimension – Yes, that’s a very pretty one! I love it! 😀

I did come across this Dalek one today, although not as pretty:

@faegrl – I wonder what the translation of the lyrics is? They do seem to use very dramatic music for the Daleks nowadays, I’d prefer something more subtle but menacing. Guess that’s why ‘Asylum of the Daleks’ had a good amount of atmosphere… still though, my favourite New Who Dalek episode is ‘Dalek’. But because I haven’t watched it in ages I cannot recall the music in it!

I haven’t got any music to post right now… have to be later!

Anonymous @

@monochromedimension @faegrl

This is a nice Dalek song which also featured in The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit.

@fatmaninabox – Awww, poor Dalek… I do recall feeling sorry for the Dalek in ‘Dalek’! Thanks for posting that, I couldn’t remember the music in that episode.

FaeGrl @faegrl

@fatmaninabox – That’s a nice one! I don’t think I’ve listened to that one fully before. Thanks for sharing it! 🙂

Yep… I’m out of Who music for now, will post another later. 😉

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Choose life

FaeGrl @faegrl

@thekrynoidman – Nice one! I like it. 🙂

Here’s my song for today, by Eddie Vedder. I love a lot of his songs and his smokey voice:

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman  Lust For Life, you betcha !  Having just returned from another  visit to the hospital, I say state with vigour that it’s a place to hide from! And @arbutus this trip to the hospital had nothing whatsoever to do with the leisurely jump from the plane which saw blue skies (when I opened my eyes); an unbelievable panorama of Brisbane and the waterways as well as loads of drought stricken areas (and we’re supposed to be sub-tropical)-also a huge air drag when the ‘chute lifted me up -well, tore me up, really. Whoo-hoo. Great! Would I do it again: dunno!

Kindest, purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

@thekrynoidman   Can’t argue with that!  🙂
    @faegrl   That’s a lovely, evocative song. I like the lyrics as much as the singing.
    @Purofilion   Sorry to hear about your hospital visit. But I’m glad the dive went well. How brave of you! The view sounds magical, but my stomach is turning flops thinking about the up and down part. I don’t do amusement park rides at all, I’m so averse to that feeling. The last time was several years ago in Disneyland, when I went on the waterfall ride with the family members and just about screamed my lungs out going over!

Hm, we need a song about flying… or falling! (I keep thinking about Woody’s line from Toy Story, about “falling with style”!)

Anonymous @

actually  @arbutus “it’s the fall that’s gonna kill you” (sorry a bit of West Wing via Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid). Really, it was fine! The worst bit was the incredible noise when they opened the door (well, I’ll call it a door). I couldn’t hear what they were summarising!  Then that enormous ‘pull’ when you flick the chute and up you go. It’s really not like an adventure ride: that’s maximum scare in minimum time. This was a lot, ah gentler!? Really, it was.

Anonymous @

@purofilion – well done on your jump. I’d love to do one but I’m terrified of heights 😮

I was going to post either Van Halen’s ‘Jump’ or The Pointer Sister’s ‘Jump (for your love)’ but then I found this…

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox  perfect choice!  Love Van Halen & of course, The Pointer Sisters, but this: I haven’t heard before! Not at all. Thank you. I love how the video shows those gorgeous aerial silks used by performers. They ‘dance’ high in the air with these long colourful parachutes and strike their elegant, daring poses. I wish I could say I landed elegantly! But any landing is a good one -as they say 🙂

Kindest, puro

ScaryB @scaryb

@thekrynoidman @faegrl @arbutus
    Great posts, thanks.
    @fatmaninabox Thank you for Sean Lennon 😀

In further honour of @Purofilion’s parachute jump (am in complete awe btw, well done you), I was going to post this – Freefallin (Tom Petty)

but that led me to an interesting cover of it by John Mayer which then led me to this, which seemed even more relevant 😉 (Gravity)

(It takes its time to build but it’s worth it; great voice, some beautiful loose elec gtr)
    (and an interesting DW connection with the account (complete coincidence))

I’d also like to point out a small misconception – it’s not the height or the fall that kill you – it’s that pesky ground at the end!

XAD4 @xad4

@purofilion

Not so much a song as a video in your honour

Anonymous @

I gotta tell you, listening to Mayer sing like that (saw him in concert whiles ago, he’s bigger in real life. His face, like Mat Smith’s is rubbery!) is like a “great night in the …sack”….can I say that? Here? Sorry mods! I should say “making….luurve” instead.

Thank you @scaryb  🙂 I was then washing windows in the Summer heat and singing “Freeee Faaaallaaaang”. My neighbour comes running outdoors…”what’s up?” she said.

Me: “Nothing, just singing. Why?”

“Oh” she said,  “thought you were in some sort of trouble”. Great!   @XAD4 thank you for that!: some people do amazing ‘tricks’ up there. Basically I was close to pooing in the ol’ overalls! One of the dudes told me that he’s got a regular customer who jumps every month…and wears a diaper….One wonders whether he likes the diapers…. 😉  Would I do it again. Yes. No. Yes.

Kindest, purofilion

ScaryB @scaryb

OK
    It’s International Women’s Day, so this is for all the international women on this forum, (and all the women-friendly and supportive international men 🙂 ) (And also I’ve just come across it and can’t stop playing it!)
    k d lang’s simply stunning version of Joni Mitchell’s Case of You

<oh my, I think I need to lie down and hit repeat. Again!>

PS @Purofilion I only came across John Mayer very recently; really like what I’ve heard so far

FaeGrl @faegrl

@ScaryB- No problem. 🙂

And @arbutus, that rack was actually in a film called “Into The Wild”, which is a true story account of a young man named Christopher McCandless, who decided to live in the wilderness after uni, to break free of society. It’s a bitter-sweet movie and I highly recommend it. It ends with his very poignant message of, “Happiness is only real when shared.”

And here’s a pretty pop song for today:

Arbutus @arbutus

Such nice music for @purofilion’s brave leap! @fatmaninabox, thanks for that Sean Lennon, great song and what a cool video!

@scaryb, I love Free Fallin’, and k.d. lang, but although I was aware of John Mayer, I don’t know if I’d ever heard him. What a voice, and absolutely soul-piercing guitar playing. I may have to go looking for some more. 🙂

And @faegrl, I know that one! (she says proudly from the rocking chair) It’s on my son’s playlist. He has a couple by her, actually. She has a nice voice, and I like that it’s a bit distinctive. I’ve had a bit of a complaint about the women in pop music over the past twenty years, that too many of them sound the same to me!

FaeGrl @faegrl

@arbutus, –  Hahaha! “Proudly from the rocking chair”… too funny! I’m not normally into pop musics, besides the occasional Lady Gaga, but with my young roommates, I heard this one and couldn’t pass it up. It’s very pretty in sound and lyrics. Yes, that’s my complaint too with women in pop music, that they sound too much the same, and the lyrics are too much the same as well. However, this one is distinctive, I agree. 🙂

@purofilion – Congrats on your first sky-dive! I wish to do so someday, very soon! It’s been a lifelong dream of mine, to be honest. I’ll come back later with a tribute song for your success. 😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Well, it’s not every day I come across a piece of music that surprises me, but today I did. And very strangely it’s by Rockabye Baby, the people who do lullaby versions of rock tracks. This may have been done for the gimmick value, but it’s incredibly haunting. I think it takes its lead from Tori Amos’ cover, but it blows it away. This is not just for babies.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@fatmaninabox  – Thought you might like a bit of Jilted John’s latest reincarnation, John Shuttleworth…

)

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – brilliant 😆

Staying on the food theme, this is one of my favourites…

)

Anonymous @

It’s horrible imagery I know but I’ve been wearing nothing but a T-shirt and boxers all day. I know I’m going to regret saying this but Summer’s a-coming 🙂 So strip off and enjoy the sun while it lasts.

And the now obligatory Blyth Power track…

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Arbutus @arbutus

@fatmaninabox     Yes!! Summer is coming… or spring, at least. It’s spring break for us, and I’m off on vacation for ten days, so yay!

But meanwhile, here is my retro summer track.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.