On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    Rob @rob

@phaseshift

Yup a definate vote for The Sontaran Experiment

Does that up it to 2 1/2 votes now??????

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Just on the Baker vote, when I was going over all the old posts to summarise the suggestions, I also came across a suggestion by @wolfweed that I’d thought I’d bring up again.

If, as it looks, we go for City of Death, would anyone be interested in a communal watch of Douglas Adams best known work – Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (a bit like our watch of Quatermass and the Pit)?

At 6 episodes, it’s longer than City of Death, but the overlap into Peter Davison may be beneficial because he makes a, well, unusual appearance in one of the later episodes.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — I think a Watch Club of Hitch-hikers is a fine idea and would segue into City of Death quite nicely….

Whisht @whisht

I’d watch HHGtTG happily!
    in fact chucklelingly.

and I’d take a slice of Davison anytime!

Anonymous @

@phaseshift yes. I’d vote for Hitchhiker’s too please. Being half asleep I couldn’t work out @whisht  HHGttG although I gotta say, the T should be a small ‘t’. You know, just for consistency and all 😉

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@phaseshift

Hitch Hikers? Absolutely!

Just the thought of hearing Richard Vernon as Slartibartfast again…wonderful

So, yes, a hundred times yes.

ScaryB @scaryb

Thumbs up from me too re a H2G2* communal watch. Great idea

*winks at @Purofilion

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – available from the publishing companies of Ursa Minor but currently slightly cheaper at the BBC Shop (£5.99). 😉

janetteB @janetteb

Yes that that. It has been a while since I last watched HHGttG.  Must not forget that the Doctor’s mother-in-law also features so more Who crossovers than one can shake a stick at. 🙂

Cheers

Janette

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

Hi!

I’m a new member from Germany (a place outside the whoniverse as it seems).

I’m all through the reboot series and working my way along the classics – working in a very joyful way of course.

So, be nice to me if I have no clue what you’re talking about

Whisht @whisht

Hi @Stormaggeddon – welcome!

And we’re always nice!

:¬)

Anonymous @

@Stormaggeddon Hi there and welcome. Yep we’re nice an’ all. Perhaps (as others said to me) you’d like to pop over to the page where you can tell us your first experiences watching the Doctor -memories page. It would be great to read your memories. Kindest, purofilion

Anonymous @

@stormy72 I think that’s the way to reach you? -so read the messages above to you -if you wish! Love the user name. Very cool.

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

@purofilion Thanks! Will do.

janetteB @janetteb

@stormy72 Welcome. Agreed you have a very cool username.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Some stuff from Twitter.

From ComicPalooza – Colin Baker and Paul McGann perform The Doctor’s monologue from the end of Day of The Doctor.

And an astoundingly accurate impression of Matt Smith’s regeneration speech.

scifigeek36 @scifigeek36

<span style=”color: #000000;”>Hi Guys </span><br style=”color: #000000;” /><br style=”color: #000000;” /><span style=”color: #000000;”>Just a quick update. </span><br style=”color: #000000;” /><br style=”color: #000000;” /><span style=”color: #000000;”>There is now a list of everything that is in the auction online on our website. </span><br style=”color: #000000;” /><br style=”color: #000000;” />http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liquidation-disposals-search-results/823<span style=”color: #000000;”> </span><br style=”color: #000000;” /><br style=”color: #000000;” /><span style=”color: #000000;”>There will be Photos on very soon.</span>

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I won’t post the same message as before, because the people I named will probably have received an e-mail alert, but thanks to all for the feedback on HitchHikers.

Talking of which, there was an article on a new forthcoming biography of Adams in the Guardian the other day, which I’ve just caught up on. It promises some lost material (yes -even more after Salmon of Doubt), but I think I’ll stick to Neil Gaiman’s look at Adams in Don’t Panic.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

On the G as well – Has Doctor Who become more sexist?

They use data from an American Bechdel test between RTD and SM to ultimately conclude….well, I dunno. Mens. Probably.

@phaseshift – I think it’s a ‘well, yeah?’ RTD’s first Companion was Rose. Of her two Significant Others, her Mum got the most screen time. They had a loving, but difficult relationship. Then his second Companion was Martha, and her Significant Other with the most screen time was her Mum.  They had a loving, but difficult relationship. The third and final regular Companion was Donna, whose most Significant Other was her Granddad – but who had a loving but fairly difficult relationship with her … hmm, am I noticing a pattern here? 😈

Moffat moved the Significant Other onto the TARDIS, eventually giving the Doctor a married couple as Companions. It’s not that Moffat doesn’t have any female guest leads, he does. But Moffat’s general preference is to have a male-female pairing. Rory would talk with the female guest leads, Amy with the males. That’s inevitably going to fail the Bechdel Test, which is that two women in the cast need to talk to each other, about something other than a man (ideally for more than three lines). If there is only one Companion, and that Companion is female, the number of episodes passing the Bechdel Test will be higher. She’ll be doing a lot of the talking to any female guest leads, and if the monster-of-the-week isn’t male, Bobbie’s your aunty. 🙂

Another point is that if you do decide to have a male-female Companion team, the percentage of lines given to women is inevitably going to drop – because all those ‘explain the plot to me, Doctor?’ moments are now shared. With a male actor. Who ought to be given lines, because gawd knows we’re paying him enough. 😉

Finally, Doctor Who is always going to be playing catch-up with the Bechdel Test, because it’s the inheritor of thirty seven years of unconscious (mostly) sexism – not only does it have a male lead –  Most of the monsters are male. Technically, two women discussing how to defeat the Daleks fails the Bechdel Test. Equally, two women discussing how to rescue the Doctor will also fail.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift and @bluesqueakpip — I did see the Gruan/sexism thing but it just made me tired all over to the point I couldn’t even summon up the will to comment.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip – agree with your points (and your comment on the blog was duly recommended), and @jimthefish, you’ll note I was in a similar state of I-don’t-care. 😀

Just on the Guardian though, for those who still contribute. By the time the series blogs come back you will likely be dealing with the new “Beta” layout and comment system that their aiming towards mobile usage. I don’t know if @craig is interested from a tech perspective. If you want to look at it, there is a page discussing “improvements” to the system here:

http://www.theguardian.com/info/developer-blog/2014/may/29/-sp-improving-the-beta-commenting-experience

It may save culture shock later in the year. 😀

Anonymous @

Hi, I’m new here and have been watching doctor who for about a year now, and have considered myself a whovian since the 50th anniversary came out I’ve watched the whole reboot series, and pretty much every video on youtube about doctor who, could you give me any suggestions about the classic series, because I its a lot to watch, and I probably will watch it all eventually (Including the picture audio ones from the second) but I would like to know which ones to watch first. P.S. I would like a couple from each doctor please. (and sorry if I interrupted any other discussion)

Anonymous @

Hi,

I’m same as @tbird7702. I’m new here and have recently gotten into Doctor Who. I’m almost about to finish season 7 and am thinking about going through the classic series. Can someone suggest a particular Doctor or place, other than the beginning, to start watching from?

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

@Rint Start with Jon Pertwee’s first story Spearhead from Space and continue on from there. You may not like the post Tom Baker Doctor’s, you may not. They certainly have a mixed reputation.
    The black and white stuff is really good but it’s also very slow paced, so it may not be your thing. I would recommend watching them last.

janetteB @janetteb

I agree mostly with @thekrynoidman but I would recommend watching at least the very first episode “An Unearthly Child”. If slow B&W is not your thing there is really no need to watch the following episodes in that story. That story sets up all that follows. If you don’t mind the occasional slow B&W then watch at least one Troughton story. I recommend The Mind Robber, generally considerded a classic.

Happy Watching,’

Cheers

Janette

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@tbird7702 @Rint

Welcome to the site. We’re relatively new as a site and have an ongoing project for revisiting stories, which we do on a week by week basis for episodes. These were voted on to highlight Doctors and periods to newer watchers. The BG (or “classic” page). I suppose the benefit of watching some of these suggestions is that you could read the comments from established watchers who talk about why they like (or sometimes dislike) the episodes. So far we have:

An Unearthly Child and Time Meddler for the First Doctor, which shows a good transition from unknown slightly sinister alien to something more recognisable.

Tomb of the Cybermen and Mind Robber for the Second Doctor. You get to see “old” cybermen and something remarkably different with Mind Robber.

Terror of the Autons and Day of the Daleks for the Third Doctor. Introduction of the Master in the first, and you’ll see comments in the activity thread for Day of the Daleks Episode 4.

We’ve covered Talons of Weng Chiang for Doctor four, and next week I looks like we will be starting City of Death.

Five we’re covered Caves of Androzani, an absolute must and his swansong. We’ve yet to decide on the next episode.

Doctor Six appears at the end of Androzani, and it looks like we are covering him in Vengeance on Varos. If you’re looking for a second story try Revelation of the Daleks.

Doctor Seven we covered Ghost Light, which can divide people. We’re probably looking at Curse of Fenric later in the year. Add in Remembrance of the Daleks.

rejetto @rejetto

hello, i’m new here. Recently i’ve been inspired by the atmosphere of some episodes, and wrote a song about an untold story of the cybermen. I would like to share it with other fans.

I’m not sure if this post would fit more the music forum board, but i read it’s about things not related to the doctor, while this is. I hope i’m doing right.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@rejetto

Hi, and welcome to the site. Probably the best place is on our Fan Creativity thread, which is a good central place to highlight your own work, or that of other people that you are recommending. You can find it here:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/general-thread-fan-creativity/page/14/

Must dash off to the shops, so will catch your video later.

rejetto @rejetto

thank you PhaseShift, i missed it.

I’m going to post there, so my previous post may result as a duplicate.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift Thank you! I will definitely take a look at all of those episodes. I am very excited to watch the classic series and be able to talk about them on the forum!

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift Thanks for your post to the Graun CiF new format. OMG!! 😯
    *scurries back to the safety of the sofa!*

Welcome waves to @rejetto and @tbird7702
    (I second Phaseshift’s recommendations as a good way in and agree completely with @janettebAn Unearthly Child is where it all began – everything since comes from there; it’s surprising (in a good way) how much of post 2005 is still true to the basic concepts set up in the very first episode).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

Ahhh .. the G’s development team and its “improvements”. In anticipation of next week, I’ll paraphrase Marvin and ask:

“Why stop now – just when I’m hating it?” 😉

@tbird7702

No problem, and if you watch them, I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts. We publish new episodes on Saturdays (so – Tom Baker next).

Anonymous @

Where is a place where we can post any theories we have about Doctor Who?

@tbird7702 – if your theories are about the upcoming series (Series 8), then you post them in the Series 8 speculation forum.

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

I have watched all episodes with the Weeping Angels again and had some thoughts about the danger they impose. Maybe I’ll get burnt as heratic, but I was wondering, why nobody thought of smashing them to pieces???!!! As the Doctor explains they are quantumlocked and literally turn to stone. So don’t blink and get a hammer…

Please, don’t throw stones at me! 😉

@stormy72 – yeah, the hammer thing has occurred to other people. The answer is in Time of Angels – and to some extent in Angels Take Manhattan. In both cases, it’s shown, not told. 😉

You see, you can successfully smash them – but if they have sufficient energy left, they can reform. What you are then left with is a very, very angry Angel, just waiting for you to blink…

Sweet dreams. 😀

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

Hmmm, now I have a brand new sledge hammer for sale, still unused. Anybody???

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

I’m new to the idea of participating in a forum like this. I’m quite new to the Doctor’s Tale/Epic. And I must tell you, I’m sort of intimidated, well at least baffeled.

I have read most of your posts discussing episodes and I feel like I didn’t watch them at all. All these references you guy notice… I feel compelled to watch all again and take notes. 🙂

Thanks!!!

GallifreyanMole @gallifreyanmole

Hi! I’m new here and I’ve been a fan of Doctor Who since the 2005 reboot. My favourite doctor so far has been Matt Smith, my least favourite is probably going to be Peter Capaldi even though he hasn’t started.

Anyway, hi!

Anonymous @

@phaseshift @JanetteB @thekrynoidman Thanks for the recommendations!

@gallifreyanmole I really like Matt Smith too, but I have to say my favorite as been David Tennant. There’s a side of Matt Smith’s doctor that comes out now and again that’s very angry and a bit off putting for me. I have no idea what Peter Capaldi is going to be like, but he definitely breaks the mold from my first impression of him. I’m trying not to have too many judgements before I see actual episodes. Mostly because when I was watching the first few episodes of David Tennant, I found him really annoying, but then he ended up being my favorite doctor.

Anonymous @

What do you guys think are the scariest episodes or moments?

Of course, anything with Weeping Angels… Particularly the episode where Amy is trapped in some kind of capsule room with an angel on the screen and it turns out that they have can come through the TV. (Sorry, I can’t remember the episode name or even what season it’s from.)

Also, the episode “Night Terrors” from season 6 when the dolls in the doll house come after everyone and do their creepy staggering type walk.

@Rint The old 60’s era Cybermen voices are creepy as hell, “you belong to us, you will be like us”. I also found the clockwork men from Girl in the Fireplace quite scary, especially the scene when you first see one. Something about that mask with the smiling face sends a shiver down my spine. Plus any episodes involving body horror like Ark in Space or Seeds of Doom. They effects may look cheap, but when you actually think about what’s happening to the characters it’s horrifying.

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman Agreed!  I forgot about the Clockwork Men. They are really creepy. That episode also got to me because I found that the fact that the Doctor was flitting in and out, but for the girl it had been years, was also pretty creepy. Kinda like with Amy and how the Doctor seems to come and go with no perception of time, but then you realize that it’s been months or years for Amy. I find that pretty disturbing from her point of view.

janetteB @janetteb

Silence in the Library would top my list of scary episodes. An enemy that can’t be seen, that lurks in the shadows and devours the victims, leaving only a fleeting imprint in their space suits, the “ghosting”. I think that the scariest thing for the Doctor there however was meeting a woman who knew more about him than he did.

Cheers

Janette

@phaseshift I know we’re likely going to end up watching City of Death, but I still feel obliged to vote Deadly Assassin.

the4thsERA @the4thsera

Hopefully season 8 of new who does well enough so that we can get some dw spinoffs that tie into the main story as time goes on. My top three ideas/wants would be… 1. 8th doctor spinoff 2. Doctor Donna spinoff 3. Early Gallifrey spinoff with a younger version of the doctor and his family living there aswell as a younger master, that would be awesome. Hope you enjoyed my ideas on dw spinoffs and feel free to comment on my ideas and others see-ya around -sincerely the4thsERA.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@thekrynoidman

While acknowledging your vote, I note that @the4thsera has logged in with a DA avatar and still couldn’t be arsed to vote for the Deadly Assassin.

I fear dull Time Lords are about to be cast aside for Lalla Ward in a schoolgirl outfit.

Come on. You KNOW that makes sense. 😀

You KNOW that makes sense.

@phaseshift and @thekrynoidman – besides, I’ve gone and bought the DVD now. 😈

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

besides, I’ve gone and bought the DVD now.

It has a lot to offer though. Bizarrely, thorough an unlikely error, I find I now have two copies of City of Death on DVD (one of which Amazon will not accept). I think I’m going to have to devise some fiendish competition so that someone else can win it.

All suggestions to the usual address, etc. …

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.