On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@miapatrick  a very late but deserved congrats on your results. Well done and 3 cheers plus a chardonnay coming your way, a cappuccino and a bunch of flowers -of your choice. Possibly balloons too!  Kindest to  you, puro.

Whisht @whisht

Today would be Nelson Mandela’s birthday.

a pic of Nelson Mandela

And for anyone needing inspiration, there are some quite amazing quotes here. as well as Google’s homepage of course!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

As we continue our look at Peter Davison this weekend with the second short two-parter The Awakening, and dwelling on the short space of time before Series 8 starts in earnest, I’m afraid it’s time.

Time for THE man, THE Myth, THE Legend, THE coat….THE Colin Baker. Yes, the fervent wish of posters such as @tardisblue, @monochromedimension, @marinus-lost-his-keys-again amongst others is about to be granted. We enter the realm of the Sixth Doctor in our retrospectives.

Given timings, we are going to restrict choices to Season 22, which saw the experimentation with 40 odd minute episodes, which is an opportunity to see what is effectively a modern 2 parter mounted BG. Stories nominated so far are included below, but what is everyone’s choice?

Story (Episodes) Notes
    Vengeance on Varos (2x50minute) Thrills! Spills! The Doctor fights a nasty regime on a planet fronted by a sibilant slug. It’s twisted view of Reality/Torture TV is probably more relevant now.
    Mark of the Rani (2x50minute) Thrills! Spills! That Coat. Trouble in’t pit as The Doctor and inventor George Stephenson have to battle two renegade Time Lords for the price of one. The Rani (Kate O’Mara) first appears.
    Revelation of the Daleks (2x50minute) Thrills! Spills! That Coat. With a Cloak! The Doctor uncovers nasty goings on at the funeral planet Necros. Just what is happening to the dead bodies? Graeme Harper directs in an episode which is very different in switching the main focus away from the Doctor. See what Oswin may have looked like after conversion!

As Connor Macleod (of the Clan Macleod) once proclaimed: “There can be only one”. Upto you to decide which, so get voting over the next week.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — it’s a bit like being asked ‘would sir prefer the thumbscrews or the hot poker to the rectum today?’. Revelation has the advantages of having a bit less of the Baker and Harper on directorial duties but I think Varos gets my vote. As you say, it’s still topical, plus it has Sil in it and is a well-written piece of work.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@phaseshift – I seem to recall that Vengeance on Varos Special Edition is mentioned by Mr C. Baker, in the Five(ish) Doctors reboot, as having ‘extra me’. So my vote is for Vengeance.

Besides, some weird bloke has just locked all the doors and windows and is refusing to let me out until I vote for it… 😉

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@jimthefish

It’s a difficult one for me as well. In the last few voting sessions we’ve had an outlier come in against nominal choices, but in Season 22 is anyone going to argue that Attack of the Cybermen, Two Doctors or Timelash is better than any of these?! Difficult to see.

@bluesqueakpip

I hate it when that happens. He can lay siege to you for days, you know? Under the circumstances, the only choice you could have made. 🙂

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – As VoV features a malevolent midget, that’ll be my choice.

Speaking of malevolent midgets, everyone’s favourite diminutive Dominar features in Farscape which is currently being shown on Pick TV Mon-Fri at 19:00hrs.

Tonight’s episode is Into The Lion’s Den Part 2. Series 4 starts on Tuesday.

Anonymous @
    ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

Vengeance! With my favourite malevolent alien slug.  And it’s got Sil in it as well! 😈

@bluesqueakpip

We’ll come and rescue you before he starts force-feeding you Season 22!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox

I hadn’t noticed those repeats, but I have the DVDs so that’s OK. Just to echo you though, with Pick being on Freeview, it’s an excellent chance to sample Farscape (although to be fair – people may be as confused as hell jumping in at this point).

Is this really going to be your first taste of Six? We really have to get this one right. At least the horror story of Twin Dilemma is not in contention.

@scaryb

Hell, I’ve got your vote for Vengeance and the mighty Sil written down four times at various points now. You are a consistent Yeti. Will you be reintroducing Sil as your avatar in the event of a win?

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

To be honest I’m not enjoying watching it on Pick – adverts every 10 minutes!

For some reason they’re muting ‘contact’ sound effects during punches and/or headbutts (but explosions and people screaming when shot are ok). On occasion they also mute some of those made up swear words – they don’t like ‘trelk’, they’re undecided about ‘dren’ but ‘frell’ is ok.

Really need to get around to buying Season 3 & 4 on DVD so I can watch them in their un-cut glory.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@phaseshift

OK, I am going to do my best to convince everyone that we really should watch “The Mark of the Rani” for the 6th.

Why?

1. It is an historical (I love historicals). But more importantly, it is not just the only historical that Colin Baker did, it was also filmed on location at the Ironbridge Gorge Museum (the story is about the Industrial Revolution).

2. It has not simply one Time Lord, it has 3 Time Lords!

3. It has a brilliant new Tardis (the Tardia of the Rani).

4. It has the Rani, or more to the point, it has Kate O’Mara, being deliciously evil. Hmm…evil?…or…just deliciously amoral? Let’s just settle on…delicious.

5. It has marks of death on its victims which are, let’s face it, big love bites (watch it and you will see what I mean).

6. It has, actually, a really good performance by Colin Baker, who manages to overcome his costume and give the Doctor real gravitas and sympathy.

7. It has, just like the best historicals of the Verity Lambert years, great reflections on the history of the industrial revolution, the consumption of lamb chops, and the the life of trees (can’t really explain the last two because of spoilers, but take my word).

8. It is (unlike Vengengence on Varos) unique and original. We have been to Vengence on Varos before, actually quite recently with RTD and evil game shows. But this is sort of special when we come to Colin Baker’s tenure.

9. If is only 2 (45 minute) episodes, which helps a lot in terms of timing before August.

Did I mention Kate O’Mara?

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave.  I think you have convinced me. I also love the historical stories and I am currently doing some research into the Industrial Revolution so it seems rather topical.  I might even try to watch an entire episode, something I have not yet achieved with C.B though I have warmed a little to the actor after his performance in the Fivish Doctors.

@Bluepipsqueak. I hope you are rescued soon. Being locked in and forced to watch a C.B. story. (shudders at the prospect.)

Cheers

Janette

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

I commend you on your spirited and comprehensive sales technique for Mark of the Rani. And it’s certainly gained one supported with @janetteb. It seems we have a two horse race to come.

@fatmaninabox

Oh – that sounds awful on the Farscape editing. Much worse than when they were shown on BBC2 at six o’clock. The BBC quite liked the swearing, with the Farscape mini-site doing an inteterative guide to some of the more common swear words.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/farscape/swearing/

For example, Frell:

Probably the most versatile word in the Uncharted Territories, frell is an expletive for all occasions.

Example – Your favourite coat has just been ruined by a stray shot from a pulse pistol.

“Frell! You’ve destroyed my frelling favourite coat you frelling piece of dren (qv)”

Translation. “Oh dear. You’ve destroyed my blooming favourite coat you awful little man.”

Anonymous @

@phaseshift  @janetteb and @blenkinsopthebrave   based on Mr Blenk’s analysis and also my love of all things ‘Industrial’ (odd thing to say, but the National Curriculum recently demanded Australia return to ‘the basics’ which involves teaching the Industrial Revolution to Year 9s – 13+ yr olds) similar to JanetteB, I would endorse Mark of the Rani (also for its ‘hickies’ :)). Basically, other than the episode with The Valeyard I haven’t seen a single one of Number 6s episodes (sheepish blinking)

Kindest, purofilion

lotusofskaro @lotusofskaro

Hi! I am new to the forum, been watching who since “rose” 2005 and I like my nuwho but also enjoy the second doctor. I am very friendly.

Animus @animus

Okay, I know everyone’s very busy with new trailers, leaked scripts and the filming at St. Paul’s but I’m just flagging up a new British movie opening in cinemas next week called “Scar Tissue”. The writer/director is a lifelong fan, so it’s perhaps not surprising that there are loads of ‘Doctor Who’ connections!

The film – a dark thriller with a sci-fi edge – stars Danny Horn (young Kazran from ‘A Christmas Carol’), Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler) and a host of actors who’ve made appearances in New Who (Pete Lee-Wilson, Tim Faraday, Imogen Bain). Some of the crew came straight from working on the set at Roath Lock.

The film’s score and theme song is composed by Mark Ayres, well known in fandom for his superb classic ‘Doctor Who’ scores and for being a big part of the relaunched Radiophonic Workshop. There’s some great electronic and orchestral music in the movie.

“Scar Tissue” ( Cert 18) opens at selected cinemas from Friday 25th July but before that (Weds 23rd) there’s a special preview screening at the Prince Charles cinema off Leicester Square in London. Danny Horn, Mark Ayres and others will be there to take part in a Q&A after the showing. Tickets are available direct from the cinema ( http://www.princecharlescinema.com/i…onth=07&day=23 ) but there will be competitions to win free tickets online in the next few days. I’ll post details soon!

If you want any more ‘Doctor Who’-based incentive, Peter Capaldi was one of the first people to see the completed movie at the cast and crew screening… ;)

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome @lotusofskaro  &  @animus!

Here’s a wee show about the discovery of ‘The Lion’ from 1999, presented by smiley Carol Smillie…

It features a stirring reconstruction of the moment the episode was purchased(!)

Another brief recon’ is a dramatic montage starring Mark Ayres making phone calls about missing episodes(!)

There’s even a brief mention of the possibility of episodes being in Nigeria…

Animus @animus
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

We’ve got this week for anyone interested to vote for a Story to get up close and personal with Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor. We’ll close it on Saturday.

A recap of votes, so far:

Story (Episodes) Votes
    Vengeance on Varos (2x50minute) @jimthefish, @bluesqueakpip, @fatmaninabox, @scaryb
    Mark of the Rani (2x50minute) @blenkinsopthebrave, @janetteb, @Purofilion
    Revelation of the Daleks (2x50minute) Null points.

This is THE people’s choice for THE Colin Baker episode.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @phaseshift – its a tricky choice, but I’m gonna vote for Mark of the Rani.

@blenkinsopthebrave ‘s impassioned plea kinda tugged at my heart.

Also I can’t remember either of them (though vague memories of Sil are locked away somewhere), so look forward to whichever gets chosen!

@whisht

@blenkinsopthebrave ‘s impassioned plea kinda tugged at my heart.

Aw, shucks…

<Blenkinsop snuffles, reaches for handkerchief, and noisily blows nose>

Anonymous @

@craig  Ah yes,  ‘The Rani is ahead of Varos just by a nose…I think, I think The Rani will take it, but Varos is emerging from the east track & coming around at full pelt now and it’s anyone’s race’.

Today, with a number of young lads in the house ready for school, I said, ‘anyone seen the 28 second trailer for Dr Who? Coz I can play it for you right now, it’s dark and there’s not much dialogue, but it’s eerie.’

I pressed play and tuned out making lunches when, distantly  I heard: “I want you to make a f**** ball and explode it in two days and pick up any *******weapon you can find and *******use it. Oh, the last two years have been so f****** boring I can’t ******believe it’.”

The wrong 28 second trailer. Those boys’ mums wont’ be letting me take their kiddies to school no more.

The legacy of Tucker continues.

Enjoy the night’s sleep. Puro.

Anonymous @

* clearly I have a problem with apostrophes! Possibly, I’m  worried about the therapy bills (for the mums: the kids hear language like this all day long)

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

I’m sticking with Varos but the best I can offer in its favour (apart from a brilliantly slimy and creepy turn from Nabil Shaban as Sil – there’s a good reason Sil is still talked about 30 years on. Oooh, that laugh still gives me shivers)  is that I’ll change my avatar in its honour… which isn’t really much to offer against @blenkinsopthebrave‘s impassioned plea for the Rani

@Purofilion

Ooops! (they probably switched it themselves when you weren’t looking 🙂 )

(And Dr Who with hot choc and Tom Baker scarves sounds pretty cool to me)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    janetteB @janetteb

Thanks for the link to the Colgan interview @wolfweed. Very entertaining and almost makes me want to read the book.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Well, I’ll come right out and say it: I just watched the very first ep of the very first season of Sherlock. Yes, I’m that out of touch with (popular) culture.  Or any culture, really. Anyhoo, I went into this with lots of high expectations for Moffat  and, mostly, mostly, they were met: this Sherlock fellow (let’s call the actor BC) has similar mannerisms to Mat Smith -particularly the Doctor in his later, longer coat years? Is this just my estimation? BC was doing this swirling, excitable thing in the first episode; not sure if that continues. I’m only on to the second episode now which I think is possibly better. Like Dr Who, Sherlock has high production values -if setting up every scene with meticulous detail means the same! Kindest, puro.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Whilst pondering on the (remote?) possibility of Dr Who manifesting in some form at the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony tonight, I had a very silly idea:

Perhaps the Queen’s Baton contains the message: ‘Help One. We are a goldfish!’

Anonymous @

Is it just me or do the medals for the Commonwealth Games look a little Gallifreyan?

@purofilion

Welcome to Sherlock. I confess to loving that show. It is Moffat and Gatiss being really clever and having lots of fun with Conan Doyle.

But a word of caution. As it is a mystery series, the show abounds with clues that pay off in later episodes. For this reason, you have to be very strict about avoiding spoilers. Not just the spoilers on the web, but I would even advise not telling anyone you know or work with that you are watching it, as they will inevitably (even if inadvertently) spill the beans.

Enjoy.

Whisht @whisht

@purofilion – you’re not behind at all!

I still haven’t started watching Sherlock (sticks fingers in ears as wisely suggested by @blenkinsopthebrave).

In fact, until recently I was waaaay behind on lots of shows, but due to slightly more time than usual/ late nights etc I’ve watched all of Battlestar Galactica, all of Game of Thrones (now there’s a great show) and just now munching my way through Firefly (never knew it was sooo Western!).

There’s far too much telly to watch, so you’re never as behind as others!

Hope you enjoy Sherlock but don’t want to hear a peep about it!

;¬)

ABXY @abxy

@Purofilion Enjoy the 9 and a bit episodes before succumbing to the hiatus madness that all Sherlock fans endure! ;D

~ABXY

wolfweed @wolfweed

One month to go…

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave -ah, thank you for the sage advice and as @whisht suggests, I shall not peep, peek -or squeak. Actually I won’t squeal either -It has been known that female fans do this over BC!

@bluesqueakpip I know, right? An expression Australians use all the time.  I remember mentioning a month ago that we were ‘half way there’ – an implied right to therefore introduce a bit of class by way of Bon Jovi (“we’re half way there and oooh aah, living on a pray–er”)-but I thought it might be disrespectful to the Doctor (I don’t think he’s in favour of prayer)

Kindest, puro

Anonymous @

@whisht yes, I agree re GoT. I wondered what all the fuss was about and so bought the available series a few months ago and was instantly hooked. In many ways, an excellent nod to the book -although I’ve only read the first! Joffrey, so instantly hated (and hateful) though I heard him speak to a group of students at Oxford about the ‘commodification of celebrity’. He wore a cardigan: perhaps to distance himself from Joffrey’s be-suited, armoured character.

Also, I was reading a dime store novel whereupon a female character admitted to watching Firefly -now that one I can keep very secret as I know nothing about it.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Dalek Clara appears 20 years early – She was up all night making souffles!

Alas, no luck in the ballot for the London preview screening. 🙁

There will, apparently, be a returns queue – but I have a funny feeling that might be an overnight affair.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed — RE. Games. I’ve turned a blind eye to many of John Barrowman’s televisual atrocities over the years but this time he’s gone too far….

@jimthefish – you mean the incredible purple tartan? 😉

Personally, I was thinking of Catherine Tate’s ‘does that man never sit down?’

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I was just killing a bit of time before I had to go out for a job and noticed this great profile of Bernard Cribbins on the G. He’s doing the kids prom this year, and talks about his remarkable career, including a few bits about Doctor Who.

Absolute legend.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/jul/24/bernard-cribbins-cbeebies-prom

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Whisht- thank you. In fact we have just returned from the wedding for which said tweed was purchased (his sister said, buy something dapper…) and went down very well, far better, in fact, than the alcohol he consumed during the reception. Fortunately the tweed survived intact.

@purofilion- just as belated a thank you (see above) and balloons sound lovely. Red ones that follow me down the street. 🙂

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Whisht- game of thrones! I watched the first series on channel four (back when terrestrial channels bothered buying sky shows) but it took time for me to feel really hooked. But I recently went into a rant with someone for dismissively saying that it was ‘how some American’s imagine the middle ages to be’.

I think the following is too vague for spoilers, but…

I think it is in fact a reasonable idea of  human society if: we had a very different pattern of seasons, magical elements and perhaps as a consequence of these two matters, no enlightenment, few scientific advances, (Mind you, Clarke’s second law?) no Christian/post Christian/Abrahamic morality, but human nature still being, more or less, human nature.

One thing I would say, though, is that though they’ve started showing it from the beginning, I’m not sure I like re-watching it. If there is anything that can give one an insight into the curse of precognition, it’s that…

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — I was thinking about the entire couthy atrocity. Mind you, it’s saying something when a suit like that is the most understated thing about the whole event….

meesbakker @meesbakker

hi i’m new here, (excuse my english), i’ve already seen the reboot but i want to start all the way from the beginning of the show.                   Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to start?

Whisht @whisht

Hi @miapatrick – you’ll laugh at this, but I read your reply to me re: GoT on my phone and misread it as you saying “well, I don’t like it much, as its a bit like an american would imagine the medieval era and it isn’t realistic with its stuff about seasons and magic and stuff”.

I laughed and thought “is that miapatrick?? really? My god, how am I gonna reply..?”

Luckily I re-read your comment on a proper screen and realised my error!

🙂

Personally I just love all the boobies.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@whisht- isn’t it odd how the brain can jumble up sentences like that? I like that you were at least surprised at the idea I’d say that, and were contemplating a reply to such madness!  There are a lot of things I like about it, not really a boob woman, but there are some nice bottoms sometimes as well…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Where was the Doctor last night during The Invasion of the Tunnock’s Teacakes?
    z

Whisht @whisht

@miapatrick – he he!!

Yep, speed reading while distracted on a phone isn’t the best way to consume information!
    But I did think “you really just said that? That’s bizarre!? You’re normally great and this is… how do I reply…?”

🙂

I’ll admit that although the bibbity-bobbity-boobies are rather lovely in all their shapes and sizes, I actually like GoT for its actors and writing. I’ve never read the books so have no idea how it differs and am kinda glad I don’t have that distraction of literary precognition or disappointment.

Instead I just smile at the interplay of characters (eg the Hound), Peter Dinklage‘s interplay with everyone, and the plot surprises.

I’m utterly spoiler averse (I even avoid the Doctor ads on the BBC!) so all I will say about that link* for Dinklage is that it spoils your ears (in a lovely way).

(* obvious egg-sucking moment – but if anyone looks at the right hand side of YouTube and says “you didn’t warn me I’m only on season 2 of 4!” then… erm… its a YouTube link).

btw, I know you didn’t mention this and I’m being silly, but wouldn’t a mashup of GoT and Utopia be brilliant?

“You know nothing Cartmell”

“Where is Jessica Hide?” being asked of The Hound.

IwantIwantIwant. Do I have the software to make….?

😉

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.