On the Sofa (part 2)

Home Forums General On the Sofa (part 2)

This topic contains 918 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@rob – welcome back!  Are you joining us in the ‘The Next Doctor’ thread for the liveblogging of tonight’s programme?

Anonymous @

I would like to state a few things about “so called” Doctor Who fans.

1. You are not a fan or have barely watched the show if you call him Doctor Who the only time anyone should be aloud to say that is of your gonna explain it to someone or if the other your talking to refuses to call him The Doctor. Anyone who does this get out of the room before I find a Dalek to exterminate you.

2. You’re not a true Doctor Who fan unless you have some form of Sonic Screwdriver mine being the Sonic Screwdriver they made to be used as a wii controller. Now I’m not saying you need to collect every sonic screwdriver but you at least need one

3. Certain people say the episodes Moffat rights leave things “unanswered” but the only thing I see that’s unanswered is how The Doctor knows “the big fat guy who smokes cigars” can’t reneged who is so I’m using that quote. He was seen in theepisode where 11 has first confrentation with the Daleks and the Season 6 Episode 13

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

<waves and jumps up and down with excitement>

Welcome back!! Am VERY intermittent at the moment, not going to be able to check TV till after midnight tonight!!! Yikes. Poor you and your tooth (been there, not nice. hope you’ve got strong painkillers… or some decent whisky!)

And welcome back @rob too.

Still missing in action as @blenkinsopthebrave points out are @bobbingbird and @whohar (is that bath not freezing cold by now??). And yes, I reckon multiple Doctors theory could have life for at least a few months yet.

ScaryB @scaryb

@drtennant Ooops, by your rules I’m definitely not a fan then – on all 3 counts

<crawls off sadly to put in resignation to this forum before you all throw me off in disgrace *sniffs*>

Only thing I can claim in my defence is having watched most of the shows (except Baker II) since  23-11-63

Anonymous @

DrTennant – well, I think that defining rules as to who is or is not a ‘proper’ fan of Doctor Who is an exercise in frustration.  We’re all here because we love the show, but we don’t all love it in exactly the same way.  That’s what makes this site so wonderful – so many different points of view on offer.

Anonymous @

Weeeell…actually the only I believe Is “required” is 1 nobody should call him Doctor Who because that’s like calling a Dalek a robot

2 makes you a “die hard” fan not more of a proper or not a true fan but 3 doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the fans more of just something that people say.

Actually I heard Moffat wrote 10’s regeneration and ever since The End of Time Part 2 aired I’ve been wondering something. WHAY IN THE TARDIS’ NAME MADE THE TARDIS CRASH. actually I have a (joking) theory of why, I think it was because (drum roll) his last words were “I don’t wanna go instead of Allonsy.

Anonymous @

DrTennant – In the show’s 50-year long history there have been times when the character has appeared in the credits as both ‘The Doctor’ and as ‘Doctor Who’.  Before you sweep onto this site making proclamations of ‘fact’ and what is ‘required’, you should educate yourself about the show.

Your posts are starting to be of some concern to me.

Anonymous @

No my actual theory is seeing The Doctor regenerate in it as many times as he did in the TARDIS (Hartnell, Davison,C. Baker,Eccleston, and Tennant’s original) just made “her” if you will just “lose it” cause I mean if you ever have had a loss just image going through that same thing 5 times at the 6th time you’d just been an emotional wreck.

Anonymous @

@shazzbot I do agree with how at the end of the clasic show they’d have Doctor Who and under it Tom Baker, Patrick Troughton, John Pertwee ect. That I don’t really believe they thought to hard on maybe they said ” Smell maybe first time viewer’s may not understand the whole The Doctor thing so we’ll just credit him as Doctor Who.”

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot Actually, on second thoughts you’re right. Either @pedant‘s fave – the on-topic troll, or his head’s full of mince. Deprive of the oxygen of tagged replies till he starts making sense.

The whole ethos of Dr Who is about everything changes and there are no rules (either in-show or from outside)

Rob @rob

@shazzbot and @scaryb

<waves madly>

Will have the site up…..

multitasking, tea, tv and blogging…… wow, will do my best to add something worthwhile to the conversation

How’s about Matthew Lewis?????

Anonymous @

@rob – tea?  Everyone else has said they require copious amounts of alcohol to get through any on-screen sightings of Bonnie Langford.  🙂

Or, is ‘tea’ a euphemism for you?!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Weeeell…actually the only I believe Is “required” is 1 nobody should call him Doctor Who because that’s like calling a Dalek a robot

You’d hate the early OFFICIAL novilisations of the stories then. Not only is he called DOCTOR WHO, but it really is presented that way, in print, with CAPS LOCK on. You get bizarre text like.

“Hello Jo. I’m the Doctor”, said DOCTOR WHO.

I think you should possibly find a stone to crawl underneath after those posts.

Anonymous @

Ok I do agree with everything you guys are saying but let’s steer the subject in a different direction but first let me just explain myself real quick.

Yes the show is called Doctor Who because of how he says “Hello I’m The Doctor.” And they would then proceed to say “But doctor who.” In some variouson and as @Shazzbot stated there has been things in the credits but he has never in the show (at least of my knowledge) been stated as Doctor Who by anybody but if he has please tell me and I’ll crawl in a dark corner and feel like an idiot.

As to steer the conversation into another place who’s everbody’s favorite and episode of the show my favorite doctor is obviously Doc #6

Anonymous @

@drtennant — I think the only time he’s been called Dr Who in the show was in the Hartnell story The War Machines. “Dr Who is required.” I believe some fans have still not quite got over it….

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Lol Doc #6

Here’s a great clip of Doc #6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mvN6lU0oU

Anonymous @

@jimthefish what exactly do you mean I’m not to sure.

Rob @rob

@Shazzbot my use of tea did not mean tea but meant tea 😉

…. don’t get me started on Whovian euphemisms ….. hehehe

Anonymous @

@craig – I LOVE that!  I haven’t seen it for years, but it puts a smile on my face every time.  😆

@jimthefish @phaseshift – Aren’t we going to be busy with other threads now?

Anonymous @

@craig thanks so favorite episodes anyone I kind of afraid to say mine

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@drtennant

The Tardis becoming more distraught after each regeneration she witnesses. I never really thought of that before. Great thinking “outside” of the box, as it were.

TBH, I share some of @Shazzbot‘s concerns about your posts. That’s why I wrote such a long welcoming reply. Without coming out and saying anything too critical, I’d hoped to point you in the general direction the rest of us have chosen to follow. (BTW, have you read @craig‘s remarks on Forum etiquitte? http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forum-etiquette/) A post which might seem inoffensive elsewhere tends to rub folks here the wrong way if it could be read as disrespectful. This is a special and unique place. Certainly you’ve realized by now just how radically different the conversations, bonkers theorizing, and mutual respect for forum participants is from most other places on the interwebs.

All we’re “asking for is a little respect, just a little bit, just a little bit, R-E-S-P-E-C-T Find out what it means to me.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0 Yeah, I know Aretha never got involved in a historic rap battle. But this classic song is the soundtrack I’d prefer to have for this site. I’m just afraid that not everyone here will bother to read your posts for the nuggets of bonkerness and insight they do contain. This site was started, in large part, perhaps, to get away from trolls and trolling. I want to continue to give you the benefit of the doubt but I can’t help wishing you’d take a little more time and reflection with your posts before hitting submit.

BTW, my inner-descendant-of-many-teachers wants to let you know that “the fat guy smoking cigars” was Winston Churchill. Prime Minister of England. During World War II. Real battles. Real history. And not much rap, I imagine. But an immensely important person to folks in the UK and its former colonies and much of the rest of the world. Just sayin’.

TardisBlue
    n

Anonymous @

@tardisblue I’m 100% with you I would never disrespect a great website and I will put much thought into my posts….and I THOUGHT IT WAS THE PRIMINSTER!!!!!!! I didn’t wanna state anything that was incorrect and is it stated how he knows the 11th Doctor and I like how you brought out the Epic Rap Battles of History link I posted.

The Next Doctor: I was right the 12th doctor was in a previous episode give me a few minutes to process this

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q37tXUAjDw

Video about Trockers Chameleon Circuit making a music video on the TARDIS set. I don’t like Trock but I do like looking at the Tardis console close up.
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed uuum The Doctor being a robot that’s a first for me. The actual music video would be a good think to put in Fan Creativity. So does anyone have a favorite episode or a favorites list of episodes.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    Autons just can’t do TARDISes…

wolfweed @wolfweed

The PicFinder General strikes again…
    z

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@wolfweed – your #15562 hasn’t come through for me. It’s doing a ‘file not found’.

Anonymous @

Difficult to know where to put this one. But this splendid fellow has uploaded what looks like all the Pertwee-era Countdown comic strips. Well worth a look at what is considered by many to be the highpoint in quality for Dr Who in comic form.

http://whopix.wordpress.com/comics/

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip
    z
    I said Autons can’t do TARDISes…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Ooh I like this…

Twelfth Night

via: OutofTimeLord

Anonymous @

@craig — ooo, me too. Like that a lot….

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig‘s is better though…
    z

WHO KILLED @SHAZZBOT ?!?!?!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant She did I’m afraid. I’m hoping she’ll be back. She says she’s happy to just lurk as a reader.

Whisht @whisht

ah, Twelfth Night, of course….

well, at least there’ll be no romantic entanglements to worry @nick et al

😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht Although, if the other Doctors are appearing via “paintings” wouldn’t “Twelve Angry Men” also be great (as I still think the regen is going to take place at the end of the 50th, or mid-50th rather than at the end of the Christmas episode)?

Whisht @whisht

hmmm @craig – Twelve Angry Men is an awesome film (slightly dim memory of it but remember it was powerful as well as intelligent).

But twelve angry paintings….. hm, reminiscent of Sensations, or shows by Emin perhaps. Neither I wish to revisit.

😮

but how about High Noon??

allows production to move again to US and the Western; a singular hero and beautiful companion…. aw c’mon, I DEMAND that this happen!!

ARSE!!

Anonymous @

@craig Shazzbot was exterminated!!!!!! WHY?!!

B-b-b-ut that’s no reason for hara-kiri!

Whisht @whisht

@drtennant – let’s just hope she wasn’t fed up with people’s grammar and misspelling.

It’d be a shame.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Yes, I hope it wasn’t anything anyone said.

Anonymous @

@whisht Yeah most of my grammar and a misspelling is mainly because I do everything on a
    Kindle Fire or an Aneroid smart phone and most of it id from auto correct not knowing what Cybermen are.

Anonymous @

Guys I have problem, Netflix (the program I watch Doctor Who on) doesn’t have season 7 and I have left over money on my PS3 but I can only buy 1 episode and Asylum of the Dalek’s and Nightmare in Silver look really good but I don’t know which one to get any opinions.

Anonymous @

Also I’m leaning toward Asylum since it’s both the first episode with Clara and Season 7 so it won’t spoil Anthony like Nightmare and The Name of The Doctor looks good as well.

1. Asylum of the Daleks
    2. A Nightmare in Silver
    3.The Name of the Doctor

Anyone wanna way in?

janetteB @janetteb

I hope that @shazzbot is back with us again soon.

cheers

Janette

BoeSelecta @boeselecta

Howdo everyone.. Just wanted to say hello and how nice it was to find this forum.

Love the show and hope my contributions to any topic are fun 🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Re Shazzbot. I guess you could say I’m the one to blame. She and I were beginning to have a reasonably strained relationship behind the scenes. I got annoyed with her on Monday night over something and she deleted herself.

I’ve emailed her to say that I think that’s a bit drastic. I honestly do hope she’ll be back too.

Brynwe @brynwe

@drtennant Watch them in order, that’s my opinion anyway.

thommck @thommck

@drtennant
    Don’t waste your money on Nightmare in Silver!

I’d probably recommend Asylum, even though Name of The Doctor is a better episode, it should really be saved for last. Asylum is great fun and impressive to look at

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘On the Sofa (part 2)’ is closed to new replies.