On the sofa

Home Forums General On the sofa

This topic contains 1,040 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  g33kboi 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 1,040 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@jimthefish

Jane Espenson – that’s spooky as she gets a mention in the Randall & Hopkirk piece (she’s doing a US version).

Thing is, can you imagine the screaming fanboys droning on about the americanization of Doctor Who??

ScaryB @scaryb

<waves @juniperfish, coffee, yes, fresh pot always brewing in here. Who’s got the jammy dodgers? 😀 >

Very excited! No more sleeps. iplayer teasingly says it’s got Bells of St John downloaded in HD… anyone know how to pick its lock??!  (Hopefully won’t be too scared of things in the internet to come back in here after!)

Hope everyone’s got fezzes, bow ties, pipes, baths (special hi and belated welcome back @whohar – that was a long way to go to catch the antipodean special TV broadcasts!) etc at the ready.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehooooooooooo!

ScaryB @scaryb

And a bit of democratic anarchy to pass the time before then – off to Glasgow to protest against the Bedroom Tax – a policy that makes Davros look like a philanthropist! Love a good demo 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi @phaseshift,

I currently away seeing family but back home tomorrow and will look into the blogging function/adding images then. I’ve got everything ready for the launch of the new thread tonight. Can’t wait.

Look forward to reading your piece when I’ve got a bit more time.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

Heh – enjoy the demo! A worthwhile protest. Don’t do anything naughty though. We don’t want you cooling your heels in the Nick when you could be watching Doctor Who.

@craig

Thanks Craig – I realise your busy on other things as well so there is no panic. Hope you’ve had a good time away.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Right – time to go forth and get supplies before the TARDIS lands! We will be able to “live blog” here on the sofa! See some of you folks here amongst the comfy cushions later 🙂

Juniperfish @juniperfish

On the subject of women script writers and Who, discussed upstream by @jimthefish and others and mentioned by @pedant on the “Bells of St. John” thread, I think Stella Duffy’s original blog post, from which the Guardian article stemmed, had a point.

Jane Espenson is a great suggestion. Duffy herself expressed an interest and I’d be vey happy to see her have a go, remembering her sassy Serpent’s Tail detective novels from a while back as I do.

It does trouble me that Moff hasn’t, apparently, thought to invite a single woman guest writer to the 50th year, when guests such as Gaiman and Curtis have clearly worked well. I wonder if Miranda Hart would work for a more comedic-toned episode such as another return for Craig a la The Lodger or Closing Time?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

It’s interesting if what the production team say is in fact true – that they have asked women writers, and all have pleaded ‘schedule conflicts’.

Anyway, I went and looked up what RTD said about the whole thing:

It’s those internet message boards … they destroy writers… It’s like when Helen Raynor went on Outpost Gallifrey last month and read the reviews of her two Dalek episodes. She said that she was, literally, shaking afterwards. Like she’d been physically assaulted. I’m not exaggerating. She said it was like being in a pub when a fight breaks out next to you. I had to spend two hours on the phone to her, talking her out of it, convincing her that of course she can write, that we do need her and want her… the stupidest thing you can say is ‘Ignore it’ because no one can. … it can mess up writers when they read that endlessly critical voice. It’s completely, completely destructive. I cannot see one iota of it that’s helpful, except maybe in the toughening up. Helen is in a delicate position in that she’s only just started and she’s on the verge of being really very good – and now she finds herself ruined by this wall of hostility. It makes me furious.

And I go back to the point that – unless you’re mad keen to write Doctor Who – why would you bother?

It also adds some emphasis to Moffat’s contention that Who isn’t a good place to start new writers.

Whisht @whisht

[urrkggh!]

@juniperfish – love you as I do (and honestly I hate to disagree with you!), mere mention of ‘that woman’ causes me to splutter and chill!

there are many, many female actresses and comedians who I’d far rather see in Who.

Celia Imrie for one! but the list is too long to mention them all (though Julia Davies as a villain, could out-do the Master for [small scale] nastiness!).

Honestly, please not ‘dear’ Miranda {shudder}.

:¬|

erm, lets have smack-the-pony sponge with a c’mon-c’mon-c’mon cuppa tea and forget all about it!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@bluesqueakpip Interesting on the “dealing with fan critique” angle.

Sadly, I think this is an issue for women genre writers. I noticed that the rather wonderful, in my book anyway, Sera Gamble, erstwhile writer and also erstwhile showrunner on Supernatural, came in for far harsher criticism than her male colleagues on fan message boards.

@whisht Disagreement is allowed 🙂 Not a Miranda fan huh? I’m not a “must watch” fan, but I do have a soft spot for gawky and adorable, in any gender. Her brand of writing would only work on slapstick Who, as I said.  There is also Katherine Tate, of course, in a similar vein…

Whisht @whisht

Hi @juniperfish – phew, thanks for not taking offence(!). Must admit i was trying to think of another post to elaborate but couldn’t think of anything – obviously far more discerning people where I don’t have to worry so much over misunderstandings!

Actually, I’ll admit that I thought “shouty”-Tate was either a short-lived ‘special’ or long term aberration, but I was happily surprised that her acting (maybe the writing? apologies, I’m not a writer and so find it tricky to tell where one ends and the other begins) got better and better. She was one of the best companions by the end, and mainly down to her acting (and not being a doe-eyed romantic interest).

I seem now to be at an age where the idea of a companion-blue-peter-presenter-newsreader for “the dads” is apposite (though this isn’t exactly a heartening thought!!)

wolfweed @wolfweed

Enjoy Miranda Hart on Hyperdrive for the time being…

Davros was against the Bedroom tax, calling it ‘Heartless…’, unfortunately he was overruled by the Dalek Supreme who confirmed ‘It’s the right thing to do.’

wolfweed @wolfweed

Typical Gruniad post:

Dear BBC. I watched The Voice last night & I must say I was disappointed.

The plot was so threadbare you could drape it over a lit light bulb & not burn your house down. Admittedly the last series was the best TV I have ever seen but this last episode must’ve been conceived by a Headless Monk. Tom Jones has suddenly taken to boasting about his previous collaborations and the judges have become ego-maniacs overnight. Jessie J wasn’t bald and we weren’t supposed to notice?

I have loved every tv talent show ever aired up until now but this particular show was the diametric opposite of what makes a good talent programme – the ‘Anti-Voice’ if you will… I personally hope that everyone involved right down to the scene-shifters and tea-ladies all die slowly of some hideous agonising disease for unleashing this detritus upon an unsuspecting public.

Therefore I shall not be watching it again (until next week).

Whisht @whisht

btw – @phaseshift – really sorry to hear about your back. Hope its not too painful or long term.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hey Comrades, in the midst of our Who excitement can I just highly recommend BBC 3’s “In the Flesh” (zombie three parter but so much more).

All three parts have now aired and I think the first part is only available in i-player until tomorrow so I’d urge you, if you love good drama (and I know you do) to give it a go. I’ve just watched the final part and cried my eyes out. It’s beautifully written and acted.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish – A world of yes to In The Flesh, which I’m finding is gripping and compulsive in a way that The Fades wasn’t…

But a world of no to Miranda Hart. She is the one person I think that would force me to have nothing further to do with Who if she became involved with the show….

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

Oi! @jimthefish! Watch it – Ms Hart is a friend of mine … 😀

vizier @vizier

Hello, I saw a link to this forum from the Guardian Doctor Who blog, so thought that I’d pop in and see what was what.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@vizier Hello and welcome! Nice avatar. Do join us in our merry speculations!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Ha! My greeting double posted – a sure sign that all our speculations about doppleganger Doctor as the dark-side villain of the piece are correct!

Anonymous @

Welcome @vizier. You’re stepping into the world of truly bonkers theorising about the show here…

@haveyoufedthefish — sorry, but there are two people on telly who the mere sight of them makes me want to gnaw off my own arms. One is Russell Brand and the other is Hart.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Welcome @vizier, to the site where we come up with theories more insane than what’s actually happening 😀

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@jimthefish – to be fair, and just between us, I actually can’t bear to watch Miranda perform either – you think you’ve got it bad? I’ve had to be supportive through ten years of her Edinburgh “shows” … 😀

Please don’t tell her though, she’s considerably bigger than me.. 😐

Anonymous @

@haveyoufedthefish — your secret is safe with me.

I must admit I’m now feeling a bit guilty about dissing her so much now.

ScaryB @scaryb

<waves, and grabs a coffee>

Just found this and wanted to share. Seriously creepy, tho not really Who related (3rd cousin, 4 times removed maybe) – new poem by Neil  Gaiman – called House 

@jimthefish and @haveyoufedthefish LOL, sorry but NO-ONE’s as bad as Bonnie L (aagh! shuddering even at part of her name!)

Re Gaurdain blogs – do you think they know more than us? Is this splitting into 3 significant?? (Power of 3, multiple Drs etc etc)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

One of our old friends @htpbdet has just surfaced on The Guardian (Dan’s blog). Some of you might want to give him a friendly wave! He has good theories, as ever.

wolfweed @wolfweed

I also recommend In the Flesh. I wasn’t disappointed. Clever stuff.

Lula @lula

Hello…dipping my toes in rather carefully, happy to be here!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Oh, hello @lula, you are most welcome! We don’t bite, honest…

Join the “Bells of St. John” thread to add your review/ thoughts on the new episode!

@jimthefish and @wolfweed – huzzah, other people I can enjoy In the Flesh musings with. Head to the Non-Doctor TV thread… Apparently the Beeb received good enough ratings/ buzz for there to be talk of further episodes (before it is cancelled and wins a BAFTA, as some wag on The Guardian dryly pointed out).

Anonymous @

Greetings @lula. Jump right in. @juniperfish is right. We don’t bite, just nibble your fingertips slightly…

Whisht @whisht

Hi all – I am sooooo tired I was only gonna read and lurk, but had to say hello to @vizier and @lula!

It looks like more activity tonight than there has been in quite a while!
    Mainly the speculation over on the Bells (the bells the bells!) – perhaps with the various ideas coalescing with @haveyoufedthefish‘s post (very ‘umble you are, but this is a collective effort, you’re right), its beginning to spark thoughts off each other.

though could be too much red bull as well judging by the actual speculation….

but, we have all learned a new term – thankyou Cap’n @juniperfish and more power to your Shipping Forecasts…

Whisht @whisht

hi again (tired again) – should say something over on the book thread about the sad news on Ian Banks but too tired and don’t want to say something dumb.

but here is fine for dumb stuff…..

So, I saw my first fashionista in a bow tie today.

You may think ‘so what?’ but I walk through the achingly hippermost-of-the-hoppermost Shoreditch/ Hoxton, (as well as Covent Garden) twice a day (its a long walk).

And I cannot remember anyone in a bow tie before.

And god knows there’s a lot of other fancy dress going on – lots of ankles from the too-short-trousers, fifties headscarves/ pleated dresses, 80’s shoulderpads and acidic colours… you name it. and yes they try too hard.

But no bow ties.

until now (and this a guy near the art and fashion college in Holborn).

He looked ridiculous.

[I’d use a ruder word but maybe it was for a bet]

So its true – the Doctor lies.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I’m using one of those 3G wireless dongles to connect at the moment, being away. Logged in, saw unfamiliar faces, and thought about typing “I DON’T KNOW WHERE I AM?”:-)

Welcome to everybody. I mean – some spiffy avatars. @vizier and I could form some sort of double act!

judyariel @judyariel

Hi all! I was a voracious reader of the Dr. Who forum at the Guardian, and I’d get SO SAD when it would be closed. I’m glad this forum exists! And a big hello to the Fishes! 🙂

Anonymous @

Welcome @judyariel. Jump right in, the water’s lovely (if slightly full of fishes…)

judyariel @judyariel

Welcome @judyariel. Jump right in, the water’s lovely (if slightly full of fishes…)

Thank you, JimTheFish.  Fishes are cool! 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Hi all,

Jammy Dodgers on standby? SFX has a short interview with Neil Cross on tonights episode. It’s not really spoilery but does contain a few images, etc and a reference to a piece of equipment the Doctor gets his hands on. If you’re interested, it’s at:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/04/05/doctor-who-the-rings-of-akhaten-writer-neil-cross-interview/

It looks like Neil was the one they went to when Chibnall decided he couldn’t deliver three scripts due to Broadchurch commitements.

@judyariel

Please don’t tell me the fishes have a fanclub. I knew I should’ve changed the name to Phasefish. 🙂

janetteB @janetteb

Didn’t Clara claim to have created all fish? I smell something ….. no. I’ll get my coat now.

cheers

Janette

Sheena444 @sheena444

Hello all, thanks to phase shift for the link from the Guardian blog otherwise I would never have found this site.
    My favourite Doctor was always Jon Pertwee, but watching the new series with my 12 year old has left me quite envious, as he gets the best of both worlds, new and old.

ScaryB @scaryb

Welcome @sheena444 and all the other escapees who have recently teleported in  from “the other place”.  Stay vigilant on the portals oh mighty mods @craig and  @phaseshift – the trolls are massing, and have been joined by orcs and all manner of grumpy, unpleasant creatures (armed with The Cribbers Guide of Film Critic Terms (the one with no explanations of how to use them!))

Craig @craig
    Emperor

A warm welcome from me too @sheena444

Don’t worry @scaryb

I do try to read every post, and thankfully everyone here so far is lovely. Which I hope is our saving grace. If we do start getting infested with trolls I don’t think they’ll last long, we’re too nice for them, and especially if everyone remembers “Do not feed the trolls”.

@phaseshift also has a fine way with withering putdowns that would scare me off. This from the Guardian blog made me laugh

@dmr95-

The Imperfection is yours. I see a team that’s worked on these on their own time, to finish prototypes and make them new. With a desire to see an episode like this.

You post cynicism. I hope I post something else. Whatever your answer I win.

Plus I can also directly email them, and if it really comes to it, delete them and block their IP address so they can’t sign up again. I hope it doesn’t come to that though. Let’s hope we’re like Nu Who and, in the face of adversity, love can always save the day 😀

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Welcome @sheena444, I’m glad you found the link helpful, if this is the kind of place you’d like to contribute to, welcome – please dive in.

@craig – you’re too kind.

@scaryb

armed with The Cribbers Guide of Film Critic Terms (the one with no explanations of how to use them!)

That made me snort with laughter. I once observed that the default stance for many posters appeared to be

“A third rate caricature of Tom Paulin on Newsnight review, tiredly explaining how worthless something was because it only worked on eleven levels.”

Unfortunately, I was modded.

Anonymous @

Can I just put a shout-out to @wolfweed‘s excellent post on the Grauniad:

It is with a heavy heart that I must admit that I did not enjoy this week’s trolls. Last week’s trolls were passable (but nowhere near as good as last year’s)

It had me snorting into me Nesquick…..

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish Thank you for posting that. I missed that.

@wolfweed You win the internets! Without a doubt.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I think @wolfweed‘s contributions to those blogs deserve a special award for “going above and beyond the call of duty”. 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

<Deep bow while doffing hat to @wolfweed (difficult for a chained-up stone angel, but no-one was looking)>

That “troll” post is absolute genius! (and agree with @phaseshift – a virtual award for post of the week is definitely in order)

Meanwhile I’ve been “modded” – my first ever! 🙂 (If anyone’s interested it was in the middle of @jimthefish‘s altercations with Jayarava.  I wrote “@Jayarava – “No. It’s an opinion. People have opinions, get over yourself.“” Which was a cut and paste (except for the name) of his post to our fishy friend a couple of posts earlier. Which hasn’t been deleted. So he can give it, but can’t take it)

Anonymous @

@scaryb — cheers for the backup. Sorry it got you modded — even if it was in the midst of bizarre double-standardsville…

Anonymous @

Hi @craig – thanks for creating such a lovely place and enticing so many knowledgeable people to contribute.  I came into this at Nu-Who so don’t have the background of the many years of original series, and your contributers are fantastic and fact-filled and awesome to read.

On a technical note: I registered with a username I used on the Guardian’s website, and magically have the same avatar that was uploaded over there.  How was that done?  Do you have linkys or something?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi @Shazzbot – glad you like it. It wasn’t really down to me, I’m just the facilitator for all The Guardian Who fans such as JimTheFish, Juniperfish and PhaseShift etc. I’m kinda the same as you. I grew up with Who and rememeber the end of Pertwee, but my memories are just that, memories that have faded. I’m constantly impressed by how much the rest of our little clan have retained.

Regarding the avatar, it’s one you have uploaded to gravatar.com (which is a wannabe universal avatar site). I’m not sure if The Guardian uses Gravatar or not, but somehow you’ve ended up there. You can change the pic though by uploading a new one on your profile page.

Any probs, drop me a line.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

Your first deletion?! I could have sworn you’d conversed with Alexander in the past. How did you avoid him getting you deleted? 🙂

@Shazzbot

Did you create your Avatar with Gravitar? If you did the site uses your e-mail address to automatically import the image that is held there. It’s how I manage mine (It may have happened if you have used other WordPress accounts at some point, like CiFUnderground, etc.)

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 1,040 total)

The topic ‘On the sofa’ is closed to new replies.