Series 8 Speculation/Wishlist

Home Forums General Series 8 Speculation/Wishlist

This topic contains 227 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  wolfweed 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 228 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Other official information – it’s ‘feature length’ (90 minutes? 75 minutes?) and it’s called ‘Deep Breath’.

I would say that the teaser hints that the regeneration amnesia is certainly lasting at least part way into the first story.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Thanks for locating the clip, as I couldn’t see it yesterday.

@bluesqueakpip

Yes – I was wondering about the “feature length” bit myself. Could be like DotD with 75 minutes, but it could be longer. It may explain why the series itself looks to be running at 12 episodes, then a short break to the Christmas Special.

Collating the press releases there are a couple of new writers, and a real change in directors in the series. I’ll put what what has been officially released below.

Ep Writer Director
    1 Steven Moffat Ben Wheatley
    2 Phil Ford Ben Wheatley
    3 Mark Gatiss Paul Murphy
    4 Steven Moffat Douglas Mackinnon
    5 Steve Thompson Douglas Mackinnon
    6 Gareth Roberts Paul Murphy
    7 Peter Harness Paul Wilmshurst
    8 Jamie Mathieson Paul Wilmshurst
    9 Jamie Mathieson Douglas Mackinnon
    10 TBC TBC
    11 Steven Moffat Rachel Talalay
    12 Steven Moffat Rachel Talalay

@phaseshift – if it’s effectively a double parter, which they’ve decided to show as one episode, then it should be 90 minutes.

Interesting that they’ve got a new set of directors – that does hint at a real change in style for the new Doctor.

alvaro21197 @alvaro21197

I was watching episode 4×01 when at the end of the espisode, PETER CAPALDI APPEARED! I was like “oh my god what is he doing there ?!”  So there are two doctors at the same time in the same world… Interesting.

alvaro21197 @alvaro21197

Sorry the image was broken, I leave you the source link: https://imageshack.com/i/nrffvap and https://imageshack.com/i/nmi73fp

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    Get two versions of the new official image here:
    http://www.combom.co.uk/2014/06/doctor-who-returns-take-deep-breath.html

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@wolfweed

I am still intrigued by the wedding ring. I wonder if anything (or nothing) will be made of it.

@blenkinsopthebrave – interesting, isn’t it?

Could be either: the Doctor’s wearing a wedding ring because he still considers himself married, or it’s simply a ring he wears (do Gallifreyans even wear wedding rings?).

I’m more curious about the very peculiar angles – Capaldi is looking straight at the camera/audience, but Coleman is looking up and off to one side. They’re obviously not looking at the same thing. Furthermore, Coleman appears to be about to walk out of the TARDIS.

They both are wearing similar style shoes. Why?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@blenkinsopthebrave

There is a counter theory which suggests that the ring is only there so that Capaldi can keep wearing his actual wedding ring (too).
    z

There have been at least two important Time Lord rings in Doctor Who’s history that I can think of…

@bluesqueakpip – The Doctor doesn’t look very happy with us, does he?

@wolfweed

There is the first Doctor’s signet ring, of course, but the second ring…?

alvaro21197 @alvaro21197

I was watching episode 4×02 when I saw that:Peter Capaldi at episode 4x01

@blenkinsopthebrave and @wolfweed – well, the “it’s there so Capaldi doesn’t have to take his wedding ring off” theory is a bit of the blue boringers. 🙂

But given that Moffat managed to confidently weave the “Matt Smith has shaved his head for another part and now has to wear a wig” into the plot-line of ‘Time of the Doctor’, I’m sure he can come up with some plot related reason for “We can’t get Peter’s wedding ring off his finger, is that going to be okay?”.

[Blenkinsop: the second ring is the one the Master wears]

wolfweed @wolfweed

@blenkinsopthebrave  I was thinking of the AG Master’s ring…
    z

Okay, for a bonkers theory 🙂

Hows about – the fob watch that the Smith Doctor seemed to be wearing recorded his personality a la Chameleon circuit. The Smith Doctor, if you recall, was expecting to die. He wanted his memory recording to be sent to the Library to be with River. [Awww… I can be a sentimental b*gg*r at times].

The Capaldi Doctor has post-regeneration amnesia that won’t go away – but, given the choice of restoring from back-up, chooses to keep his 2000 years + of memory in back up storage. He starts again.

The ring is the back-up storage. The Doctor can access his memories when he needs to know stuff, but he’s not crippled by 2000+ years of memory/50 years of incredibly convoluted continuity.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip
    z
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/283/2/3/timelord_of_the_rings_by_saimain-d5hgbxa.jpg

Master’s ring properties suggest the possibility of the ring as a sort of back up ‘soul’. Loving the idea  that he might choose only to dip in for bits now and again or possibly not at all (too scared perhaps?).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave @wolfweed @bluesqueakpip

Let us not forget what I’m going to refer to as Rassilon’s ring in The Five Doctors. Apparently, people who put their finger in Rassilon’s Ring were gifted immortality.

At least, that’s what he told everyone. Insert your own filthy joke here.

If we were ever to venture back into New Adventure novel territory for ideas, the Seventh Doctor had a bit of an attachment to an apparently cheap looking ring.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@alvaro21197

I think you may be a bit late with that observation to win any kind of prize. But well done.

@bluesqueakpip

Like the bonkers theory!

I cannot believe the ring has no importance, and your bonkers theory makes a lot of sense. Which is not to say, however, that there is not room for another bonkers theory. <Hmm…starts thinking…>

ScaryB @scaryb

Trailer’s looking good.

Much as I like the idea of post regeneration amnesia continuing for a bit, it could just as easily be packed into the pre-credits sequence. But I love @bluesqueakpip‘s idea of a memory ring, that can be dipped into as required. Might need some sort of quick access bypass tho – there wouldn’t be much time to  check the memory bank if a Dalek suddenly materialised in front of him. If Capaldi’s wearing a ring, for whatever reason, you can be damn sure Moffat won’t be able to resist coming up with a reason for it!

Thanks for the Timelord of the Rings sketch @wolfweed, made me chuckle. And I’ll ignore @phaseshift‘s attempt at lowering the tone 😉  But thanks for posting the series 8 credits – that’s a delicious looking list of writers and directors.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I put a link to a SFX interview between Russell T Davies and Verity Lambert on the Voyage of the Damned thread, but there was an extract in it about actors and age, which I’d completely forgotten.

Would you cast an older Doctor?

R: No. There’s no question of it, because he’s doing this 12 hours a day, six days a week for nine months of the year. If we cast someone who was 50-something they’d be dead now.

V: I think that nowadays you don’t really want an older Doctor. I think the fact that these guys are hip and modern is very good, and the audience likes that. I don’t think that they would respond to some older man. I thought David Tennant was a really, really good idea. I have to be very honest and say I wasn’t quite so sure about Christopher. I think he’s a wonderful actor, but I wasn’t sure that he was right, and I felt that he was not completely comfortable.

As much as I respect both of them, I’m hoping that Capaldi will blast these views away. I think looking at the teaser trailer, and the way Capaldi moves, he’s going to be far more dynamic than even I anticipated.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

And I’ll ignore Phaseshift‘s attempt at lowering the tone

Oh, I am awful. But, go on, you still like me, don’t you.

Stickfiddler @stickfiddler

Here’s a post on my blog in which I tackle the trailer and voice some of my thoughts.

http://joethestickfiddler.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/the-new-dws8-teaser/

janetteB @janetteb

I note that in @phaseshift‘s episode list both writer and director for 10 are TBC. I wonder if it is Peter Jackson.

As for the ring, I am afraid that the “blue boringers” theory is the most likely but I trust Moffat to make it very “unboring” indeed. I suspect that the identity confusion, memory loss and darkness will wear off within the first episode but until it does there will be some very uncomfortable moments in the Tardis. As per the scripwriting guidelines the Doctor will remember who he is in the eleventh hour and save the day. Another problem with reducing creativity to a set of rules but that is a different rant for somewhere else…

cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Michelle-Gomez-to-star-in-Doctor-Who

BEWARE! There is a  BIG (BUT OFFICIAL obviously) BBC SPOILER on the official Dr Who homepage

@wolfweed – yeah, I noticed. The massive spoiler, that is.

I suspect they decided that it was going to hit the Internet the second they got them out on location, so they might as well get their behind-the-scenes photo out first. 😈

Brewski @brewski

Hey all. Since I just had a wacky outside-the-box idea come into my not-blue head, I thought “what better place to share it? ”

Was wondering what would happen if the cyber leader lifted his mask to reveal the remains of the life form from whom he was created.  And it was none other than the head of Dorium Maldovar. :p

Brewski @brewski

Oh!  And on the WishList side of things, I’ve changed my mind about the Master.  I’ve decided I’d love to see Patrick Stewart take on the role! :O

@brewski

Patrick Stewart as the Master…I am sure it won’t happen, but there is something strangely appealing about that idea…

Think about it. He would be an amazing opponent to Peter Capaldi.

But it won’t happen.

janetteB @janetteb

That is indeed a tantalising idea, @brewski

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@brewski  hey!  you’re back….more time for some crazy and wonderful theories.  Dorium’s poor head…. Kindest, purofilion

Anonymous @

It’s great to Steven Moffat still going strong. It’s always welcoming to see an episode by Mark Gatiss. I’m a bit sad that neither Saul Metzien or Nick Hurran are allegedly directing any episodes but I am still looking forward to this new series as Doctor Who never lets me down. I am really missing Matt Smith already and it hasn’t even started so it was fantastic to see him and Karen Gillan taking part in panels on the show this year. I can tell that Matt thinks he’s made a mistake or something along those lines and really wants to be a part of it. There was even a rumour that he was pushing Moffat for an anniversary episode. I wish he stayed forever but I’m still looking forward to a new Doctor. It allows the show to refresh itself as it should.

Anonymous @

@brewski

i want to see the glorious return of Dorium Maldovar vs the Dream Lord.

Whisht @whisht

oohh the Dream Lord – nice jolt of the memory @fosterferris

Not that they have to be in everything, and I’d like to give them a long time before they reappear, but when they eventually return, I’d like the Dream Lord to be Leader of the Daleks.

Logically for them it makes sense (who else could defeat their most bitter enemy other than their enemy himself?). Also it would give us a chance for a DreamLord Davros face-off:”
    “They have enslaved you Doctor – feel their contempt and weep”
    “Davros – they have outgrown you, until they were ready to be led by me”
    “You cannot lead my creations!”

etc etc and two great actors in Toby Jones and Julian Bleach.

hm…. that’d be tasty in itself and then we’d have the magnificence of Capaldi thrown in!

ScaryB @scaryb

Ooooh bonkers theories creeping out again! Thanks @brewski and @whisht (Dorium as cyberleader and a Davros/Dreamlord faceoff 😈 )

And a guest role for Michelle Gomez – yippee. (Agree she could be a great Doctor – or a great Rani); That’s a very period costume she’s wearing. Madame Vastra period maybe…?

Hmmm – Patrick Stewart as the Master – that could be a really nice pairing with Capaldi.

Anyone know if they’ve sneaked Peter Jackson in to direct anything? (S’pose it would have to be these episodes if he is, as everything else is allocated)

Anonymous @

I have to disagree about Patrick Stewart playing the Master.

However, the Dream Lord returning would be great. Yet it couldn’t be Toby Jones – who was fantastic – but rather someone who is a part of whatever Capaldi’s Doctor may be.

Thank You

Anonymous @

Capaldi will be interesting…

ScaryB @scaryb

@fosterferris

I have to disagree about Patrick Stewart playing the Master

No prob, just difference of opinion. I just think Patrick S could act anything. If the Master’s coming back then he’s likely to be different from Simm’s version. The master traditionally has as many personalities as the Doctor, personality change is built into regeneration (just as well 🙂 )

Love your idea of a Dorium/Dreamlord confrontation – now that really could be bonkers! (And I reckon Toby Jones could play off well against Capaldi)

@scaryb

I agree with you re Patrick Stewart. A brilliant actor, and you make a good point about the different personalities of the Master. When I think of Patrick Stewart as the Master, I tend to think of a suave but steely Master; in other words a version of Roger Delgado.

But when you think of just how radically left-field Moffat was in writing Moriarty for Sherlock, it becomes highly unlikely that he will go down the Roger Delgado route.

So, if there is a Master, I think we should expect the unexpected.

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave

think of just how radically left-field Moffat was in writing Moriarty for Sherlock

Good point. And sadly there was only one Delgado. Although as with many things Who he was very much of his era and Doctor.

Ha! I ALWAYS expect the unexpected… and mostly I still get surprised from left-field.  And so long as I can resist the pull of the Spoilers thread I’ll be fine!

Anonymous @

To be honest, I think the Master’s had his day. He was great and very interesting and new for the Doctor in his debut episode (Terror of the Autons) as well as that era but it would be nice to see an individual character who relies on intelligence and outwitting his foes. After all that’s what the show should do. It’s why it has lasted so long. That’s why the Dream Lord was so refreshing. “Very real but not quite their”.

Anonymous @

@scaryb and @blenkinsopthebrave I’d go for Toby Stephens as The Master if Pat Stewart wouldn’t/couldn’t do it (the expenses alone would be intense).  I’m fairly sure The Master will be baaack… As for young Peter Jackson…there’s some talk on the ‘net about this…go see..

janetteB @janetteb

There was the glaring omission of a director/writer for episode eight which  I thought had Peter Jackson written all over it.

@purofilion Toby Stephens for master… That too would be very interesting,.  I haven’t seen him play too many villians but I have no doubt of his ability to do so and I think the Master should always temper his villiany with charm.

Cheers

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

It was episode ten not eight and the list was posted by @phaseshift. (apologies for the errors and omission in the above post.)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@wolfweed

And directed by Sheree Folkson. Well, that puts to bed the rumour about Peter Jackson.

Perhaps series 9.

@blenkinsopthebrave – have they named the director for the Christmas Special yet?

If they have snagged Peter Jackson (who is said to be very keen), I’d expect him to be given the extra long, bigger-budget episode. Which is written by a writer he knows and has worked with. Like, say, Steven Moffat.

There’s also the point that if Series 8 is Moffat’s last series, he’d probably like to go out on the high of having his final story as Head Writer directed by an internationally famous director.

@bluesqueakpip

The Christmas special is certainly a possibility. Re: series 9…well, perhaps I will post that on the Spoilers page.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed @blenkinsopthebrave @bluesqueakpip

Huzzah – the mystery of the missing episode 10 is resolved.

While I know the Peter Jackson thing was enticing, I think Caroline Skinner, just before she left, said they were exploring it, but it came down to filming a couple of eps equivalent in NZ which the BBC don’t currently have firm production partners with. I think it may happen, but it would take a few years to sort out.

It’s funny, I can remember an interview with Danny Boyle and Frank Cottrell-Boyce after the Olympics opening ceremony went down very well, and them both saying they wanted to celebrate “the best of British”. Frank mentioned Doctor Who about 3 times in 15 minutes, which showed he was pitching for a job I think. 😀 (the opening ceremony for the Olympics featured the Tardis sounds and a couple of clips in the surrounding video montages).

Interesting choice with Sheree Folkson for Director. She did the RTD/Tennant Casanova amongst others. All looking very intriguing.

ScaryB @scaryb

All looking good.

I like that they’re bringing in quality new folk and not relying too much on the same old faces (not that I have a problem with most them); shows they have confidence in the show.

I think it’s the “can be anything/go anywhere any type of story” thing about DW that must be extremely enticing for writers and directors. Not to mention the budget.  Whatever, it’s a good sign that good people want to be involved. Ha! they’re all crawling out of the woodwork now – where were they all in the dark years of the 80s and the even bleaker gap years?! (Just don’t tell me they were in nappies!!)

@bluesqueakpip – is news about Moffat’s intentions after series 8 a spoiler…? (Cos there was some news about it)

@scaryb

I decided to post the “news” about Moffat’s intentions after series 8 on the Spoiler page on the principle that one should always ere on the side of caution.

Indeed, even the Spoiler page is getting a bit too spoiler-ish, and should be approached with caution (or not at all!)

But back to Speculation/Wishlist, I think I want to see Ian Chesterton/William Russell one last time so much that I will be really pissed off if he does not appear!

Then again, I really wanted Canton to make a return appearance, and look what happened to that!

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘Series 8 Speculation/Wishlist’ is closed to new replies.