Series 8 Speculation/Wishlist

Home Forums General Series 8 Speculation/Wishlist

This topic contains 227 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  wolfweed 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 228 total)
  • Author
    WhoGirl @whogirl

Very pleased to hear Frank Skinner is going to be in the new series- love that he’s practically been stalking Moffat for a role! 😀 There’s hope for every fan now!!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

It would be interesting to know if Frank pitched an appearance at Moffat last year at the Edinburgh Fringe. It was one of the few big interviews SM did before the 50th , basically in conversation with Frank and Fred Macaulay in front of an audience. Having heard some of the conversation it’s one of those things I would have killed to have been at.

I read some online reaction that seemed a little crazy. Basically “remember Peter Kay” which seems to gloss over a huge range of people more noted for comedy who have delivered some great performances. Catherine Tate as Donna?

The other comment trope seemed to be “you wouldn’t find the old series indulging in stunt casting like this”, to which the only adequate response seemed to be “Ken Dodd”, or even earlier “John Cleese”. That got me thinking about that aspect, and I couldn’t help remembering Alexei Sayle’s appearance as a “DJ to the dead” in the Colin Baker Dalek story. His over the top performance always makes me laugh. I tried to see if I could find it on YouTube, and had a bit of nostalgia forced upon me with this. A sketch from his show about how easily Watson was impressed in some Sherlock Holmes stories, featuring one Peter Capaldi as Sherlock. Made me laugh.

Anonymous @

I’ve never been a fan of these comedian cameos in Who and think that Peter Butterworth is the only one that really works — and possibly the Cleese one too, which is mercifully short and has a nice Douglas Adams/Pythonesque riff to it.  Dodd/Sayle/Hale and Pace all set my teeth on edge and the less said about Kay the better. And I think David Walliams is part of the reason why I don’t really get on with The God Complex too.

But having been a moany arse about all of that, I think Skinner might work if they give him a low-key, sardonic role — put-upon Dad or sarcastic scientist maybe.

janetteB @janetteb

Not being familair with most of the actor’s doing cameos is often an advantage. I had not seen James Corden or Catherine Tate before their Who roles so accepted them as they were. The only comedian I was famliar with pre” Who was Bill Bailey aka Manny in uniform and much though I like Bill Bailey I found his role to be distracting. Actors should be cast for their ability to portray the character not the star kudos.

Chuckled at @phaseshift‘s remark,  “The other comment trope seemed to be “you wouldn’t find the old series indulging in stunt casting like this”, Whoever posts that clearly is not in posession of the “Doctor Who; 25 Glorious Years” handbook which devotes several pages to “Intergalactic Guest Stars”.

Cheers

Janette

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish

I think Skinner might work

I’d point out that he was fine as one of the three Dalek operators in The Five (ish) Doctors Reboot. Which might easily be why Moffat decided to cast him.

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

With the World cup coming up , I would like to see future Frank in his 3 lions shirt singing “5 million years of hurt”

ConfusedPolarity @confusedpolarity

Frank Skinner, eh? Well, it could be worse; if they’d announced James Corden was coming back my anticipation levels would certainly have taken a dramatic drop!

In general I’ve been really impressed with the calibre of guest stars they’ve been announcing – Keely Hawes, Hermione Norris, Tom Riley et al  – and I noticed the name of David Bamber somewhere too for the same episode as Skinner – another really good actor.  As long as Skinner doesn’t mug it too much – Catherine Tate filled me with dread (justified in her first appearance, but that’s they way she was supposed to play it) and then turned into possibly my favourite AG companion to date 🙂

Anyway, nothing can equal the horror of Peter Kay’s appearance – can it?

@toinfnityandbepond – thanks for the best giggle (as an England football supporter) I’ve had all day!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@confusedpolarity

I hope that’s true about David Bamber making an appearance. I’m probably one of the few people who actually enjoyed Chalk, which was one of SMs first series. Bamber was brilliantly nightmareish as the Deputy Head Eric Slatt.

I still love his musings on Geography teachers.

“What happens to them? Do they have a secret society? A secret order? Today the classroom, tomorrow the world! Next day – colour it in”.

WhoGirl @whogirl

I quite like the odd cameo from the odd famous person. They often provide comic relief, Lee Evans for example, in ‘Planet of the Dead’. Even Peter Kay’s Abzorbaloff had a comedic side.
    It also shows how highly regarded the programme is, that everyone who’s anyone wants to be on it! 🙂

Whisht @whisht

I don’t think I’ve said anything here, so as a quick aside that I’ll no doubt refute, I’d like drier stories. I love the colourful throw-it-all-at-the-wall stories, but the drier stories allow for that floridity in one-off shows (I know “floridity”‘s not a word).

And by drier I mean… erm…. stuff less florid…. like… erm… Ghost, Crimson Tide, erm… ‘self-contained’ stories where being Doctor Who and the ability to time-travel isn’t foremost – though also it isn’t just a detective story transposed into a Dr Who script.

hm, thinking of it I guess that’s the territory Gatiss explores a bit.

ok, i’ll give up now and stick to the music.

wolfweed @wolfweed

New official promo pic

z

Whisht @whisht

thanks wolfweed – screaming for a bootlace necktie…

ahem

just re-read my earlier gibberish about what I want from Series 8. Will have to replace with different gibberish.

What I’d like is… less ‘100s of Daleks flying at a planet’ and more “Dalek is a companion??!”

Less “the world will end if we don’t do [x]!” and more “this person will be broken if we don’t do [x]”.

More ‘its about making choices that remind us what it is to be human’ rather than “grab a gun and shoot those things until they stop us doing stuff we say we say we should do”.

[grumbles…. still not getting me thoughts across – I’ll stick to pictures and songs…]

@wolfweed

Hmmm… if I were a Dalek, I’d be hiding behind the sofa about now.

doctoreleven @doctoreleven

Its going top take me some time to get used to this new doctor. I’m going to miss eleven a lot but I’ll get used to him. Can’t wait till season eight c:

Anonymous @

Any speculation if it will air on BBC America at first also?

@max.nash247 – it would be surprising if it didn’t, it’s one of BBC America’s top-rated shows.

Plus, they have a Capaldi photo gallery up, so they’re clearly expecting to air it first.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@max-nash247 @bluesqueakpip

Predictions? SD Comic-Con will have exclusive trailers that will introduce Capaldi to the worlds press who gather there, and this will enrage fandom like last year.

The series will debut on the Bank Holiday Weekend at the end of August (23rd) in the UK with later showing in the US that night.

Until it’s made widely known that the bulk of the funding for the series comes from outside the UK (from Worldwide/America) they are on tricky ground politically if something as high profile as Doctor Who was seen to be a “second rights” co-production. It would become a “use of public funds” issue wish some in Parliament and the Media would love to jump on. Given some of the issues the BBC is grappling with, I don’t think they’d want the distraction.

@phaseshift – I didn’t mean they’d air it first Worldwide, I meant BBC America would air it first in the US. Given the time difference, even a same-day airdate would still mean the US got it five hours later than us.

After the success of the simulcast, I don’t think anyone can complain about Doctor Who showing on the same day worldwide. 🙂

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@wolfweed – Re: Promo Pic – The new Doctor looks so good… And @whisht is right, he needs some sort of tie; not a bowtie though… unless its a ribbon. His shirt reminds me of my issue right now; I often wear shirts and find I really want some sort of ribbon bowtie or something with it… otherwise it just looks empty. I think I’m waffling now. Waffle, waffle, waffle, waffle… I need to buy some ribbon…

Anyhow, I want Ian to make an appearance in series 8; apart from being my favourite companion anyway, I think its a good opportunity for him to return for an episode or two. It would be very nostalgic… and as you all should know, I’m all about the classic series.

Whisht @whisht

ah @monochromedimension – I think I was thinking of this pic I found a while back…

If he did it now, it’d be a tad more menacing, bringing back thoughts of Teddy Boys, razor gangs and the like, but I’m sure he’s tempted!

🙂

I grant you, he shouldn’t try and do that hair though.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Sorry about that @bluesqueakpip. I thought the original post may be about “unspecified rumours” that BBC America will be showing new episodes before the UK. It seems to have become “a thing” with rumours abounding before the start of series 7a, 7b and the Day of the Doctor showings.

Rob @rob

Yes a shirt should never have the top button fastened without some sort of neck-a-chief

It’s just not Timelordy

My hope is for some more of the new super Cybermen now truly menacing with the updating tech

Proper Daleks ….. not the huge brightly coloured soon to be seen in yer toyshop variety

And some new foes

Ps with Gallifrey not destroyed this means The  Master is still around too 😀

Anonymous @

@phaseshift I hope and think that Amy and Rory will at least make another appearance. I felt like they werent as significant as the other companions when they left.

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@whisht – So no to that hairstyle. lol!

@rob – Now you’ve got me onto Dalek speculation! We definitely need proper Daleks; I really am not keen on the newest design. I don’t mind different coloured Daleks however, if only to signify rank of course. So basically… keep the bronze for the regular Daleks (or return to grey perhaps?), black and gold/black and silver for the Supreme Dalek… maybe red for second-in-command like in the movies. And perhaps a return of the white and gold Imperial Daleks if Davros makes a return again.

My favourite Supreme Dalek was from Planet of the Daleks however;

Even his eyepiece lit up! Originally a movie Dalek. Oh and I also liked the Dalek Saucer Commander from The Dalek Invasion of Earth;

Alternating colours! Though not the big base, just keep the kind of bases they have for the bronze Daleks now. Hmmm… something I actually prefer from the new series… the Dalek bases!

ScaryB @scaryb

Love the new Capaldi pic, great look. Tho agree with the small quibble about the buttoned up look. (I could go for the red troll hair tho! Matching hair and lining 😉 )
    Also agree with @whisht

What I’d like is… less ’100s of Daleks flying at a planet’ and more “Dalek is a companion??!”
    Less “the world will end if we don’t do [x]!” and more “this person will be broken if we don’t do [x]“

They do rather like the big reveal shot with squillions of cybermen/daleks/current big threat (and sometimes it’s awesome!) so I’d be happy with some variety – a few Amy’s Choice, Girl Who Waited, Vincent and the Doctor or Blink type stories scattered thro. I think the prospects of that could be high – look at series 7 – apart from the “blockbuster” episodes which led into the 50th, most of these dealt with “small” consequences – the main threats were to the TARDIS team and small communities rather than the universe.

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift @bluesqueakpip
    Now there’s a thought – what if BBC Worldwide share of funding for Doctor Who becomes the biggest part of the programme budget?! (chuckles at thought of complete apoplectic meltdown of UK fandom)
    Simulcast is a great concept, and means we can all discuss latest episodes at the same time.
    PS Lol’d at Phaseshift’s
    SD Comic-Con will have exclusive trailers that will introduce Capaldi to the worlds press who gather there, and this will enrage fandom like last year.
    Will be interesting to see if DW can maintain its presence at SD this year.

@monochromedimension I doubt the teletubby Daleks will be back, except maybe for the odd background shot. Even Moffat’s on record as saying they were a mistake. I like the current bronze design (especially the explodey one 😉 )

ScaryB @scaryb

@Max-Nash247 I would be very surprised to see Amy and Rory return, their story’s more complete than most companions.
    @rob – yes, more super-cybermen (tho they’ll need to find a way of limiting the upgrades; it’s a great idea but it’s easy to overdo it. How invincible do they have to be before they’re actually invincible?)

Whisht @whisht

@monochromedimension – hmm, still sounds like a lot of colour.

and I mean a LOT of colour.

@scaryb – yep, hope we’re right. I’m guessing budgets will have been scrutinised, so hopefully fewer “squillions” (great word!) and just select quality moments that are enhanced by vfx (rather than just eye candy).

One plot device I’d like is for the Doctor and companion (or at least companion) to be away from the Tardis and so not able to understand anything that is being said (none of it is translated so its all gibberish). I mean its kinda ok when you’re a tourist until something goes wrong… not that there’d be any kind’ve social commentary thing going on, what with the elections and certain comments front of my mind, oh no. That kinda thinking’s for the pub.

Actually one for my “wishlist” will be that one – just one – theory from this forum, one barmy, insane theory somehow makes it into an episode!

Do we have any theories still running or is it all reset and we’ve none to still be resolved?
    If so maybe we need some insane thoughts that might make it into an episode…

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht   “Floridity” is so a word! And I completely agree that I tend to prefer more intimate stories to the “skies full of Daleks” kind (although those can be fun once in a while). And I love the idea that the Doctor could spend more time helping just one person (or perhaps one group of people) rather than saving worlds and being the Oncoming Storm.

@scaryb    “teletubby daleks”   Hahahaha!

DispositionMatrix @dispositionmatrix

New to the forums. Is there a general Doctor How Speculation/Wishlist not specific to Series 8?

Rob @rob

@monochromedimension

How’s about camo-Daleks using light folding technology to blend into their surroundings, another great use for the sonic screwdriver…. The Doctor enters a seemingly deserted spaceship, his senses prickling with nervous tension. He whips out the sonic and as he waves it the sonic field illuminates sections of Dalek….

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@rob that’s already been done lol in planet of the Daleks

@stickfiddler – hi, and welcome. But you’ve posted this in the wrong place! @fatmaninabox, @jimthefish, @phaseshift, or @craig could you move the post to Spoilers? Ta.

On this site we have one forum especially for spoilers, and they live there and only there.

By the way, have you checked out Royal Mail’s online services? I dunno if they sell overseas, but it wouldn’t surprise me. They do perfectly normal books of stamps as well as the collectors sheets I linked to.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Done. Sorry for being a bit slow.

@stickfiddler As Bluesqueakpip said, there’s only one place for spoilers on this forum and I’m afraid we count almost any information about upcoming episodes as spoilers. Now me, I don’t care, but some people don’t even want to watch the trailers. So we try to be respectful to all here. But believe me, there’s a lot of cool stuff on the spoilers thread if you’re into that.

Stormaggeddon @stormy72

As I would like to see Jenny return, what about Jenny getting adopted by Wilfred and befriending the unknowing Donna?

While looking for Dad, she could think of asking Donna for information on his whereabout. Wilfred is still star-gazing, sees her landing. Jenny finds Donna’s memories wiped,but gets some news from Wilfred and she stays with them (?)

She even could be reunited with the Doctor and form a group like in the old days : Doctor + Susan + companion(s).

Brewski @brewski

Since science fiction is generally contemporary issues placed in an alien setting,  I would love to see Drone Daleks!

Little attack mini-daleks the size of actual salt and pepper shakers.

(Sorry. Let my Americanism slip there didn’t I?)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    royron32 @royron32

OMERGESH! Bring back rose! Why no rose since like season 4?? sdiofhaoeihonfksoldncldskngsioehfsosihefnkkllknlksndlgie3

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@tbird7702 Just a little note to let you know that I moved your post to the Spoilers thread. It didn’t contain any real spoilers, and I was in two minds about moving it, but there are people on here who don’t want to even hear rumours and we try to respect that so I thought it for the best. So in future, if you want to post about something “there has been a lot of talk about” can you use the spoilers thread please?

As it says on the Speculation thread “This thread can be used to discuss official BBC announcements on Series 8. Any other news source should be discussed on the spoiler thread in accordance with our etiquette policy.”

the4thsERA @the4thsera

I would like to see more male companions, more aliens/monsters, the master returning because he is one of my favorite characters in dw and hes like the doctors opposite persona. I also would like the bbc to make a poll for us fans to decide on about which classic or newer monster/villain can return by voting and popular demand, because I really want to see sutek return. Lastly I don’t want anything to wibbly wobbly like it was for matt when it comes to story for series 8. Thats really it for me as of now, great discussion thou goodbye.

Anonymous @

Ok, so I’m confused about something. We know that the 12th doctor is played by Peter Capaldi, who also played Caecilius in season 4 episode 3 – the fires of pompeii. First of all, is Caecilius supposed to be the 12th doctor, not just a recycling of the actor, but did he use the chameleon arch/fob watch (the one that changes every cell in his body into human) and then go back in time to Pompeii? who knows his reasoning behind doing so, but it would explain why ten could not recognize him, and the doctor is always able to recognize himself, whether it be a past or future regeneration. So then, if this were all the case, are Evelina and Quintus the doctor’s children?!? This also means that ten is eventually going to come back if they’re going to tie all this into the story line in the near future..

janetteB @janetteb

@bhj60 I think you have just given even more reason for the likeness between the 13th Doctor and a certain Roman once encountered in Pompeii to be ignored completely. IT simply does not need to be addressed. P.C. is an actor. In Pompeii he was a Roman Citizen. Now his is the Doctor. Unfortunately I think Moffat has implied that it will be dealt with  and your proposal would certainly throw the cat amidst the pidgeons so to speak.

Cheers

Janette

Kandyman @kandyman

How about a companion who actively works against the doctor but is stuck traveling with him for some reason or other. A new master would also be welcome.

GallifreyanMole @gallifreyanmole

I hope the memory loss thing doesn’t go on for the entire time. And maybe another Weeping Angels episode as I love them

AmyPond11 @amypond11

Has anyone heard the theories about Rory being the master? There is actually quite a bit of evidence for them and a lot of things link together. Here are some:

– River is half Timelord. I know that was explained by her being… erm… started whilst the TARDIS is in mid-flight through the vortex, but Moffat didn’t really explain that very clearly, and I don’t think it would be that easy to make a Timelord.

– In Let’s Kill Hitler when River/Melody/Mels regenerates, it is the first time Rory is exposed to true Timelord regeneration energy, and he immediately starts to complain about a “Banging in his head”.

– Rory coming back to life SO many times, and it’s not very well explained. I know there are some flaws in this like he would have a different face or things like that but I’m just listing some ideas here.

– Rory didn’t think twice about the TARDIS being bigger on the inside!

I know that Rory and Amy are gone but I still believe that they could bring him back as the master. I mean, they brought Jack, Rose, Martha, Sarah Jane and Mickey back after we thought we’d seen the last of them! I know we saw his grave and stuff, but we saw the master BURNT and they managed to bring him back! And if they could bring the “Harold Saxon” Master back with a RING then they could certainly bring Rory back easy peasy. I’m just thinking here.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Whisht @whisht

Well @amypond11 – its a bonkers theory so you’re in the right place!

There’s also the Rory-Auton-Master connection…

Anonymous @

I have hopes that the tardis can only be steered on earth, anywhere outside is once again random. I would like to then see the fault locator back as he tries to fix it. Also there is more I would like to here about the master and the daleks together. I always thought the daleks exterminating the master in movie was a ploy to get the master into the doctors tardis and back to gallifrey and frontier in space had this too. Bring back the old style cybermen please as new ones are crap. After closing time(I have rated this as my least favourite story ever) I cannot take them any more. And don’t even start me on the super speed ones in nightmare in silver. And please give us a raston robot back too

Anonymous @

I’ve got it, these new speedy cybermen get too powerful because of their speed, so the doctor somehow gets a raston robot(or two) to take them on! Get rid of them

wolfweed @wolfweed

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘Series 8 Speculation/Wishlist’ is closed to new replies.