Spoilers (3)

Home Forums General Spoilers (3)

This topic contains 1,031 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,032 total)
  • Author
    blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Actually, the more I think about it, it might be rather nice if there could be some oblique way of referencing the Peter Cushing movies. Something like including, in some capacity, the actress Roberta Tovey, who played Susan in both movies.

MissRori @missrori

@blenkinsopthebrave  That isn’t a bad idea actually.  Curious things those films.  (In the U.S., the digital subchannel Comet, which has dredged up a lot of old sci-fi/fantasy/horror B-movies and the odd A-list title, is running both of those films this month.)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@blenkinsopthebrave  @MissRori

Moffat wanted the film posters to be in the Black Archive in ‘Day of the Doctor’ and a line about ‘Remember when they made those films about you’…

However, the rights proved to be too expensive.

cushing nod

cush

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

A Cushing nod would be great. Am I the only one who thinks that Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD is superior to The Dalek Invasion of Earth? The first film, not so much.

Some great bonkerising on the Gatiss link btw….

wolfweed @wolfweed

I am hearing Gatiss is not playing the 3rd Doctor…

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘…Peter Capaldi explodes in a ball of flame as he starts to regenerate…’

deadline interview

@jimthefish. Yes, agree that the second Cushing film is the superior one. Of course, it was based on arguably the best story of BG Who, so that is not surprising.

By the way, does anyone know if Roberta Tovey is related to Russell Tovey?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed That is so amazing I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight.

Been waiting all day for that. Still no full SDCC panel. Guess I’ll get that in the morning.

wolfweed @wolfweed

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed and @craig

That dissolve from Hartnell into Bradley is amazing. This looks terrific. I still can’t help but think that WWI setting has to be tying in The War Games somehow….

@wolfweed, @craig, @jimththefish

What a great trailer! I have a strong feeling that the name of the army officer played by Mark Gatiss will be revealed to be…Lethbridge-Stewart.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave I thought that myself. Though I guess he will have to be the father of BG Lethbridge-Stewart, and the grandfather of Kate!

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@blenkinsopthebrave don’t think it will be The Lethbridge-Stewart but it could be his father as Gatis’s character appears to comes from the First World War which would make him too old

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Lol @craig we seemed to have posted the same idea at the same time perhaps we should say jinks

wolfweed @wolfweed

Looks like Polly’s back…

p t

polly

Also, Pearl Mackie announced that she won’t be in series 11…

@craig, @devilishrobby

Absolutely. Probably the father of the Brigadier, or even conceivably the grandfather. And it would all make sense if his character is one who is supposed to represent a “resonant echo in the whole Doctor Who story”.

Really looking forward to it!

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed–

Looks like. And I love the recreation of the base from the Tenth Planet. Looks like we might even get ‘missing scenes’ from that story. And there’s something quite cool about seeing the First Doctor having, or at least starting, a modern regeneration.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish – Yeah, maybe ‘The War Games’…

Last time things were trapped in a single moment of time was the paintings in ‘The Day of the Doctor’.

Maybe we won’t link to that story but it smells of Time Lord tech. And Missy is likely to return, judging by Michelle Gomez’ denials this weekend…….

x

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed–

I wouldn’t be massively surprised to see Missy one more time, despite the vehement denials. It would give the 12 era closure. Plus it would be fab.

But what I really, really want to see is Bradley turning to the camera and going ‘and a Merry Christmas to all you at home’.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Oh, and can I just say I’m kind of unsurprised but still bummed out that Pearl won’t be back next year….

wolfweed @wolfweed

Writer Toby Whithouse also appears…

tw

lisa @lisa

@wolfweed

Actually Clara is trapped between 2 moments as well and in both cases

of the “Day of the Doctor’ painting and Clara it is definitely Time Lord tech.

But which  Time Lord would want  an Earth army and why?  But it  also makes me think

about the cube things and ‘saving’  this army for some future situation like the Zygons did.

geoffers @geoffers

@wolfweed

thanks, i’ve not seen the extras to aAiSaT… yet. 🙂

i came here to post about gatiss’ role, also, but i see you are way ahead of me on that, as usual! the preview clip looks fantastic.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@lisa–

But which  Time Lord would want  an Earth army and why?

Off the top of my head, this fellow maybe?

Nick @nick

@all

Could that be the petrified forest from the original Dalek story behind DB when he is first introduced ? I also wondered who the figure in the alcove is (or two  as there seems to be one behind DB shoulder to the right as well ?) in the scene when DB is using the chain to lift something. The figure appears to have trousers on, but the head reminded by of apetrified angel, but I dont think can be possible.

@wolfweed

Thanks for posting the trailer.

@jimthefish

War games link definitely seems possible to me.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@lisa  @JimTheFish

Perhaps The Minister of War mentioned in ‘Before the Flood’ is a Time Lord (Or indeed The War Lord)?

First bit of the panel…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Middle bridge of the panel…

End of the Panel…

@jimthefish

While I love “The War Games”, it is 2nd Doctor story (which not to say that someone playing Troughton might not appear) and I am not sure the majority of the audience would understand the context without a lot of exposition. But my main reason for doubting it is that if Gatiss is playing the Brigadier’s father or grandfather then it would have to be set in the actual First World War.

But, hey, it’s Moffat, so anything’s possible!

Nick @nick

@blenkinsopthebrave

The german soldier in the clip is in a WW1 uniform.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave — you’re probably right that the War Games might be too involved a link to bring into the mix. (Although there are ways you could do it, and there are ways you could reference Troughton without actually having someone playing him — body double from a distance, CGI’s footage etc.) It just strikes me as a massive coincidence to have a double regeneration story that just happens to be (partially?) set somewhere associated with yet another regeneration.

I think the resonant link thing does suggest something to do with the Brigadier, although at the moment there’s really nothing else to suggest it except the uniform. And if that is the sole link, then surely there are other conflicts they could have chosen (although WWI does have the Christmas link too, I suppose).

Hmm, very interesting. This could prove to be an absolute belter of a Christmas special.

lisa @lisa

@jimthefish

Maybe?   I really like the Time Lord stories and it seems fitting

to me for  Moffats  time to end  with a big story  and  big roles

that have to do with  Time Lords.  In the long run of this show and

over all of its years there really hasn’t been that many!  I’m for  bringing

some back and getting introduced to some new ones too.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

Thank you for putting up so many of these great panels and any  vid and pics you see -the Whithouse one was awesome -never noticed it my self.

The ovation left PC teary and  Pearl Mackie too. Also, I also have noticed @pedant thanks that maybe I’ve been one who has written Capaldi but then written Pearl? When some people on other sites write “PC” and then “Jodie”  -little hints of an inbuilt sexism and I can be better than that, I reckon. Probably people don’t know they’re doing that ? Or maybe they do, not sure.

Also, at 39 seconds I was sure I was right! When PC says “there’s something bad about this” (sic) he’s really tuning in Tom Baker’s voice. 😀

Totally teary now. When I was 8 I met Mat Smith as my Doctor (after crying when Tennant left because I didn’t know any different and thought he was dying!  No clue about regen. Within mins I was  taken with MS) but  I have to embrace PC too -not just as the Doctor but as the man. What an amazing, kind, generous hearted person. If I can grow up to be half the man he is -with quietitude (not a word clearly) & modesty  I’d make my parents proud  and be happy and content.

@thanks Nick! (PM).

Thank you peeps,

Thane.

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

It looks to me as if the false moustache on the Mark Gatiss character (and please let @craig and @blenkinsopthebrave be right that he’s a Lethbridge-Stewart) is sufficiently badly done that it’s in fact a bit of homage to the Brigadier, with his less than convincing moustache.

Hiker @hiker

That Christmas trailer. That HAIR!

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

Mark Gatiss is, surely, showing-off a Lethbridge-Stewart moustache.

Image result for Lethbridge-Stewart

@countscarlioni

By golly, you are right…the left-hand side of the moustache goes off in a completely different direction to the right-hand side!

Serahni @serahni

That feeling when you’re simultaneously ecstatic that Bill is returning for the Christmas Special and then crushed to find out she won’t be sticking around.  I mean, sure, I’m glad I was wrong about her being gay because The Doctor was fated to turn into a woman, but she’s been such a fantastic addition.  Going to miss her.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@wolfweed and all – yes what an exciting trailer!

@jimthefish and @serahni Yes, I’m very sorry PM is leaving. I would have liked more time with her, and would have really enjoyed having a companion along for the ride who’d known the Doctor as a “he” before she became a “she”. That could have led to some great exchanges:

Bill: “Well you didn’t like liquorice when you were a grumpy old man!”

Doctor: “Didn’t I? Taste buds always change a bit with a regeneration – love it now. Liquorice is delicious! Say that fast when you’ve had two or three Arcturian brandies…. What do you mean, grumpy?”

@Thane15 Aspiring to grow up to be like Peter Capaldi is definitely a good aspiration to have. He seems absolutely lovely doesn’t he (and “quietude” is a word).

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish

Still no news on this. I’ve started a campaign of stalking & general harassment…

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed–

Yes, I was wondering about that myself.

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Proper…

lisa @lisa
    genek1953 @genek1953

If Bradley’s Doctor is also regenerating, reasonable to presume we may be getting a glimpse of the second Doctor. If so will it be an as yet unidentified new performer or cgi’d footage of  Patrick Troughton…?

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@genek1953 — not necessarily (and I personally could see Reece Sheersmith’s execrable Troughton on AiSaT far enough). It could just end with both Doctors taking their leave of each other and returning to their own TARDISes to regenerate in peace.

Nick @nick

@jimthefish @genek1953

I think I’d prefer they used the original footage (colourised and cgi the glow effect if they must for the modern day general audience).

One thing no one seems to have commented on regarding the trailer is the apparent Polly footage with Capaldi Doctor. I’ll be interested to see what they do, but it seems plausible that the footage will alter the end of The Tenth Planet and the beginning of Power of the Daleks regeneration scenes, which continue on the theme is this really the Doctor well into that story. I think that would be a real shame.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@genek1953  @jimthefish  @nick

So we can expect to see this scene at Christmas…

And perhaps a variation on this one…

genek1953 @genek1953

There is a brief whiteout during the B&W Hartnell/Troughton transition footage that could be seen as “regeneration glow.”

The trailer shot of Polly looks like the first Doctor to me, as he’s dressed the same in both that shot and the next when he exits his TARDIS. But there’s precedent for companions having their memories wiped, and while the regeneration of the first Doctor to the second is most likely a fixed point in time, that doesn’t preclude some of the minor events surrounding it being rewritten.

Nick @nick

@wolfweed @jimthefish @genek1953

Moff could write and show that, but I rather hope he doesnt. If he wants to show the first Doctor regeneration then in my opinion he should use the original footage (adding some colour if he must).

Genek I had assumed it was Capaldi because Ben & Polly were outside when the Doctor collapsed (and I have the impression the Tardis opened the door itself) and he regenerated on the floor.

For the Capaldi Doc regeneration is it technically possible for the CGI team to use every Doctor’s regeneration scene (face say) in sequence before ending in Jodie’s (obviously new footage could be used for several Doctors if needed). I think that would be a more fitting tribute to the show by Moff.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,032 total)

The topic ‘Spoilers (3)’ is closed to new replies.