The Ghost Monument

Home Forums Episodes The Thirteenth Doctor The Ghost Monument

This topic contains 208 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 201 through 209 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Hey, we’re in the Solitract!

Erm, HOW do we get back?

Hang on, tell me exactly how many eyes, teeth and arms you have, because you could be a PRETENDER! A sentient universe eating our actual universe and the two can’t co-exist. We’ll go all “kaleidoscope” with our hands.

Test question: who SAID that? (I liked that description). Great episode. Spawn watched it twice. He also thought: Rectify.

Puro

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @thane16 Yeah, I had quite a few replies so went with a majority vote rather than a unanimous vote. Hope you don’t mind.

@craig

Not at all. Am now admiring the skeleton.

syzygy @thane16

@craig

All good! Maybe you could cut off the seeoswald? The poster has no critical value beyond “this is rubbish!” and “rescue the show” and “they’ve gotten worse” which is kinda odd as the last episode was quite the attraction at the local philosophy club, apparently (I don’t darken their doors, not after I mis-translated Latin). Other than that, we ignore it, I think?  But she’s got form, as they say, in your neck of the woods. In ours, regardless of gender it’s: “what a WANKER!”  🙂

@pedant The Vashta Nerada are chomping on our ghostly monument?

Puro

syzygy @thane16

@craig

Well, obviously “cutting off” people might be something Puro might like -but hardly necessary when, like the one she referred to above, do not make  ad hominin attacks -and they/she has not.  As for the other toxic one which led to removing that conversation -that was a really good decision Craig. It’s sad to do but at the same time  I think (hopefully) they might change their mind, feel embarrassed, and later, still see it’s there! This way, they get another chance to improve the way they engage with social media. I think we are all a bit different in front of a computer?

Thane (sometimes I disagree with Mum!) 🙂

Why is the Timeless Child never brought up again its like they could have had a good story arc but they didn’t. Like What gives.

Anonymous @

@rosasucksandsodoess11 – I’m wondering if this is something to be picked up next season?  Moffat sometimes went back to things two years later…

TGSOE @tgsoe

This was my favourite “first alien planet” episode (of New Who, at least). I really like Chibnall’s style for the show.  Also loved the location work in this episode. Fetl very “organic” compared to other planets of the show.

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

I get the Doctor sounding Yorkshire, disconcerting as that is, but what’s the alien Angstrom doing with a ?Yorkshire? accent? And Epzo as well? Is this region of space the Yorkshire of the universe?

Not sure how jettisoning half his spaceship helps but I’ll give it a pass. Or why the Doctor explains the stabiliser operation to Yaz instead of just doing it herself (since Yaz promptly lets go of them anyway)

At least this ep is a bit brighter and sunnier than the first.

The Universal Translators are an answer to a question I hadn’t yet thought of asking. Good continuity, that. (Babelfish, anyone? In fact the whole scene in Ilin’s tent is pure Hitchhiker’s Guide).

“Toxic atmosphere, killer water. Very dangerous planet, Yaz.” Wait – what are they breathing then? Doesn’t look very toxic to me.

The whole sniperbot thing left me cold. Ryan shooting them all up (because he played shoot-em-up video games – of course) and the bots reviving – all so predictable. And the bots are appallingly bad shots. But the heavy-handed sermonising from the Doctor about guns had me totally sympathising with Ryan (and I *support* gun control!) So then she magically generates an EMP and ‘kills’ all the bots – how is that morally better?

Wasn’t it nice of the engineers who created the killer planet to leave a complete info-dump written on the floor for anybody to read? And the best they could create was floaty scarves. Talking floaty scarves. Telepathic talking floaty scarves.

Howcome Angstrom suddenly knows about the ‘acetylene fields’? And just what are they? Methane occurs naturally in swamps, but not acetylene. But anyway, since it is indeed lighter than air as Ryan says (why do I get the impression chunks of this series have been made to show just how useful Ryan the dyspraxic teen really is?) – it would float up and disperse in the atmosphere, not hang around in a convenient layer six feet off the ground waiting to be ignited and incinerate the floaty scarves. And anyway acetylene burns much faster and hotter than depicted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqCTUthoPM

I like that Ilin capitulates and declares joint winners because of pressure from Epzo (and no preaching by the Doctor). And I do like that the Tardis magically materialises to save their bacon. But not the attack of Crystal Cave Syndrome that it’s suffered.

So, I like this better than the previous ep. But once again the ‘monsters’ are naff, and not remotely up to the ‘deadly killer planet’ it’s claimed to be. A little more attention to the monsters and ways of defeating them might have improved the episode.

Viewing 9 posts - 201 through 209 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.