The Kebab & Calculator

Home Forums General The Kebab & Calculator

This topic contains 310 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  janetteB 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 301 through 311 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    thane16 @thane16

@missy

‘fraid I don’t know about that one….

I have an enquiry, seeing as I love Laura Linney but not so much Jason Bateman who appears to be in everything, does anyone find The Ozarks appealing? This is the actual Netflix series -not the place.

Puro

Missy @missy

@thane16

Sorry never heard of this. In fact the only thing I have seen Laura Linney in, is Love Actually and sadly I don’t remember her. Not that I’ve heard of any of the other films she has been in either.

Missy

P.s. I know this because I looked her up.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@thane16 and @janetteb

My commiserations over the weather. 40 degrees? 46  degrees?!!! It sounds awful. But as a citizen (albeit an expatriate) I am sure we all feel confident knowing that the country is governed by idiots who do not believe in climate change. And whenever they deny it, they always conflate climate with weather. That level of scientific perspicacity reminds me of the opposition to the introduction of daylight saving back in the day…”The extra hour of sunlight will fade the curtains!”

I hope there is some relief in sight.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave Thanks. Not looking forward to tomorrow, (today now). Will be 47-48 degrees here. We are about two degrees hotter than Adelaide. We will get by but the garden may not and will be monitoring the pets all day. The cat insists on sleeping outside which is a worry. Convincing him to stay inside is no easy task. A cool change is forecast for Friday so fingers crosses it isn’t tardy.

Love the story about Daylight saving. Is the kind of reaction I would have expected from my parents, always resistant to change though  I think even my parents, or at least my mother would have respected the science regarding global warming. We have a friend who is a “greenie” and far more environmentally sensitive than us but is an adamant denialist. He “did his research” ie found all the Heartland Institute propaganda he could to support his “belief” and cited it to us yet this man is so well informed about gardening and ecological issues. It just depresses us. My S.O tried to explain to him that the sources he was citing were dodgy but he refused to listen. I suspect he is simply unable to accept that climate change is happening because it is too distressing for him as opposed to the idiots in government who have vested interests, ie protecting their coal industry investments. (Fingers crossed they will soon find themselves on the back bench.)

cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@janetteb  That kind of heat sounds terrible and it must be so hard on both people and animals alike. We have the same sort of idiots in Canada using bad science to back up bad ideas. What I find even worse are the people who know that climate change is happening but refuse to do anything because it will cost too much. Too many taxes , too many regulations, possible job losses and the list goes on and very little seems to get done. Meanwhile, what kind of world are we leaving to our children and grandchildren if we are unwilling to pay the price now? I could go on but it depresses me too much.

Where I am we are having a very cold week with temps. of -30C overnight and highs of -20 through the day. It warmed up a bit today and dropped a huge amount of snow on us.It is very pretty but heavy to shovel out of the driveway. Our little Jack Russell dog named Newton had a hard time for a few days even with his wee coat on and when he went for a walk it had to be short or he would start lifting up his feet because of the cold. He comes in and curls up in front of the fire to thaw out.

What do you do when it is too cold to go out anywhere? We have been watching all the extended versions of Lord of the Rings with the 3rd one set for tomorrow. If it was as hot as it is where you are I would lay around and moan and worry about my garden.I hope yours makes it.

thane16 @thane16

@janetteb that is bloody awful! “Bloody” tends to be quite an Aussie thing, says Thane. I remember various people shouting “bloddy hill.” 🙂

45 degrees is no joke. It’s not easy to stay cool, here, but you’re far worse off.

I know Thane purchased a $2 pkt of ice and tipped it the bath to have an ice bath. Yeah, right. The so-called cold tap water is basically warm water and measured at 30C. How nuts is that! Modern housing tends to keep the pipes closer to the surface so naturally they bake in the hot sun.

@geoffers @whisht @pedant there’s a clicky on music thread -only if you want, mind. But you might’ve better things to do -or listen to – at any rate. @geoffers you’ve given me some terrific listening hours. Much appreciated.

Puro

Whisht @whisht

Not sure where to post this, so will take it to the pub.

Hugh McIlvanney has passed away.
    This is a lovely tribute from BBC Scotland.

It suggests that rather than ‘just’ call him a ‘sports journalist’ is to pigeon-hole his writing [I guess in a similar way to genre/sci fi writers suffer].
    That tribute has a few passages he wrote and here’s one as I think its illustrative.

On Johnny Owen, the Welsh bantamweight who died after a title fight in Los Angeles in 1980:

“Outside the ring he was an inaudible and almost invisible personality. Inside, he became astonishingly positive and self-assured. He seemed to be more at home there than anywhere else. It is his tragedy that he found himself articulate in such a dangerous language.”

I was just reading about the Trump administration’s NSA advisor John Bolton apparently revealing  (because he was holding his notepad in full view of the cameras) that they may be sending 5000 troops to Columbia, presumably because of what’s happening in Venezuela) and I was reminded (because of the rank stupidity involved) of the bit in the Woody Allen movie “Bananas”:

thane16 @thane16

@whisht

I see what you mean about his writing and the prose.

@blenkinsopthebrave it’s worse than a farce, isn’t it, this ‘administration’? Maybe one day we’ll  wake up and realise it was all a dream 🙁

Puro.

@janetteb

I saw your avatar on the page, and thought: “Brilliant! She has survived the 48 degree heat.” A few days ago Mrs Blenkinsop flew over to Toronto to visit family. It was minus 18 degrees. What a crazy world.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave  We did indeed survive, the pets survived and even more remarkably the garden survived. Indeed the world is crazy and getting crazier, extreme cold in the northern hemisphere, extreme heat here yet still those with the power to act do nothing.

Cheers

Janette

Viewing 11 posts - 301 through 311 (of 311 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.