The Maldovarium

Home Forums General The Maldovarium

This topic contains 1,003 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    lisa @lisa

Id like to offer an insight as to what led up to Trump.  For those of you that actually believes that these could be original thoughts in Dump’s head I’m offering my evidence that this is not true. Trump has not only a fact free mind but probably even worse he has an “alternative facts” mind.  The most authentic thing about Dump is his inferiority complex He is a narcissistic predator who wants to feel  “Yuge”.

He is wholly owned by the Koch Bros. , Sheldon Adelson, and Robert Mercer.  These are the billionaires  that bought our presidency.  Dump is  executing the agendas of his handlers.  Koch Bros. -EPA, Adelson -Israel  and my favorite for his unshackled lack of empathy Robert Mercer.  In case you’ve never heard of this ‘precious treasure”

here ya go ….

https://thetruthwithnorestriction.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/dont-know-robert-mercer-hes-your-new-president/

and

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3021

BTW, I  volunteer now with  Yes California aka Calexit.  Why?  Same reason  that some friends of mine in the UK

went for the Brexit.  To leave behind the Washington DC kleptocratic elites of course.  I’m anti super states

like the EU,USA, China, Russia.   IMHO they are all dangerously bad ideas.

The  evidence of that for me is in the news everyday.

I also want to say how I’m proud I am of all the marches that took place this past Saturday.

I took part in the Sacramento march and I think Dump got the message  🙂   Unfortunately

Dump is also  about vengeance cause he’s so unstable and probably felt threatened by these marches

so I also expect he’ll do something to compromise our collective sense of security.

Yeah I think we all could use the Doctor …..  I’m all for that

Missy @missy

Perhaps this will make you all smile.

Missy

Missy @missy

Perhaps this will make all of you smile.

Missy @missy

Sorry, you’ve got it twice? *shrugs*

Missy

Mudlark @mudlark

A sign of the times: Orwell’s 1984 is No. 1 in the Amazon book sales charts   This statistic does not reveal how many of those buying the book think it is a ‘how to’ manual

@missy   That clip  is certainly going the rounds, and I’ve come across it several times in the last couple of days.  The Trump impression is pitch-perfect, isn’t it ?

TardisBlue @tardisblue

Hello everyone. I wish all of you the happiest of new years. And I hope for all of our sakes that Pete Tyler comes across the void one more time to bring us all over to Pete’s World. All of us except for the Master and his minions, that is.

@whist, so sorry to hear the double whammy of your friend’s passing and your employment situation. :::Sending hugs and TLC from across the pond:::

@thane15, you continue to impress me with depth and sophistication of your posts. I hope you’re well over the flu or whatever bug you had. And I was so thrilled to see your mother back in the pub. I’m the world’s worst penpal, but she’s in my thoughts and heart at least once a week. Please give her a big hug (if she’s up to it) and kiss from me. It’s a shame your father’s extended family is going through employment insecurity.

@missy, thanks! I needed that.

Gotta run right now, someone came to the door. Hugs and felicitations to one and all.

TardisBlue

@whist

Mudlark @mudlark

In this age of ‘alternative facts’ (lies)  these words of the Doctor seem more than ever apt

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common, they don’t alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you are one of the facts that needs altering  –  (The Face of Evil; 1977)

Missy @missy

@mudlark:

It’s astonishng how many quotes there are from DW that can be used in real life.

Some are funny, (Clara you look lovely today, have you had a wash?) Some more serious, like the speach from the Zygon Inversion – sit down and talk! There is so much wisdom in DW.

Missy

winston @winston

@mudlark      That quote  is so apt that it is chilling.  Alternative facts be damned!

Anonymous @

@mudlark @winston

I’ve never heard of that quote before? Good stuff.

Also @craig we have a spammer -oh no!

Thane15

Anonymous @

@tardisblue (apologies for ‘most posts’)

Thank you, that’s real kind. And to you too.

I’m taking Philosophy this year. Mum was “you ARE taking this subject. You WILL like it.”

Am I am! The teacher is experienced. Also we did something called ‘commonalies’ or something?

You have three things which are connected: I can’t remember them now but mum made up one: ‘tyre, a light, a heart’ -they all burn, you see? I didn’t get Mum’s and I couldn’t believe when I read them out from my notebook she got every one. She’d never heard of them before. I explained it, she got them ALL right and then made up some.

Mum is smart. I’m really average. But I DID actually answer the teacher’s question about “what is life?”

I spoke about the bit of life between hope and despair. The teacher was a bit impressed. Not much probably.

I’m getting good, thank you. My fitness has tanked and then we had some fun taking Dad to the ER with pneumonia. He was shivery and Mum was emailing a person whilst on the triple zero number. You could hear the sirens whilst she’s still on phone. Then I forgot I was holding Dad up and so I ran downstairs to find the ambulance and kind of forgot I was holding Dad up. The ambos asked dad “who is the president elect?” And he DIDN’T know.

Obviously his brain was pneumonic!

Much better now but he’s a BAD patient. Mum’s used to being sick. She can’t handle people being nice whereas Dad wants the sympathy. Very funny.

This is a lot of information!

Sorry about that.

Thane15

@Thane15

and Mum was emailing a person whilst on the triple zero number.

*Ahem* *cough*. Emailing someone you say? With an ambulance coming? Never. Didn’t happen.

AlexWho @alexwho

Just read that John Hurt died.

Lost a very talented actor. May he Rest in Peace

Missy @missy

Oh no! What a tragedy.

Missy

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@alexwho

Very, very sad news. A truly great actor. So many of his performances meant so much to me.

Malcolm Scrawdyke, Caligula, Winston Smith. The list just goes on and on.

I will always rember him as Bill in “Rocinante”, a totally unique, poetic and radical film about Thatcher’s Britain. Probably forgotten, but not by me.

janetteB @janetteb

And of course the War Doctor.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Whole word learning or phonics?

I was watching the news -trying to find info about Sir John Hurt.  It’s good to see so many people commenting about this great actor’s life..

On the ‘bold’ comment  this is what the new educational laws are saying.

I learnt phonics and my spelling is VERY good. I can’t say that about grammar or writing stories.

Then here’s another issue. Mum is ALWAYS ‘banging’ on about this. The national debt ceiling is going to be raised to 500 billion. Everyone’s complaining and yet the U.S. and other countries have worse right? Is it ‘just‘ a paper debt?

I’m confused. I know there’s economics in play here. Which I don’t know much about (except supply/ demand). And budgeting for the personal …person. It’s not the same for a whole country I think?

I know that personal debt -credit card debt and what we once had:  equity  or credit line -and we got rid of that by paying that off. I think credit cards are pretty bad. But then the blokes at church are ALWAYS saying “credit will kill you. Buy land or a house. Don’t go into debt for anything else.”

I disagreed. We needed a new car  10 years ago and had a credit line to help us buy that. We paid that off. It saved us lots of money fixing the old car which was MORE costly. Like a bandaid. We were always a ‘green’ family. Everyone else had 2 cars.  We only had one. Mum had an electric bike which was pretty cheap.

Anyway, if no-one can answer these questions I’ll google them!

ALso, I totally understand how busy people are. But my teachers, this year? Other than the philosophy teacher I have no hope. As soon as I heard my young English teacher say: “Is this 10E?” (it’s ‘B’) I thought “I’m done.” Sing song voice. Really Australian gob.

God help me 🙂 Or Mum. She’ll be giving me grammar lessons and now she’s forcing me to read BOOKS. Actual books. But  now I can’t stop reading this book. She’s so happy. 🙂

Thank you (soz for post splurge)

T.

AlexWho @alexwho

Definately a lot a great performances.

There are movie stars like Channing Tatum, Tom Cruise, people like that who you see on the tabloids while at the market. Then there are thespians like John Hurt. Professionals who bring it to every role!

Anonymous @

I know what you mean about the celebrities.  Mum had a colleague/Doctor who saw every Channing Tatum movie he’s ever made. This lady was about 50 (pretty old) and Mum saw this lady putting posters of this actor on her office door! Mum said: “what would you talk about with this guy?” and the doctor/professor said, “mate, I wouldn’t need him to talk.”

Talk about Mum going red. Oorgh!

I’m watching the news and seeing that the President have signed an Executive Order stopping people with visas coming into America. If they have visas how come they’re not allowed in? And what will that mean for other countries. I think it’s a domino effect. I feel really bad for the Americans now.

@Thane15

The National Debt Ceiling (the amount the Treasury is permitted to borrow) has to at least go up with inflation or you get a real terms cut in spending and therefore in services. Raising the debt ceiling is not a bad thing. Failing to raise it would leave the treasury needing to us ‘extraordinary measures’ – short-term debt, which is very expensive – so it is always better to control the debt ceiling sensibly because that is much cheaper.

It should not be confused with the national debt, which is the amount of total debt.

Debt, in itself, is not a bad thing. Problems arise when, like Greece, you structure your debt stupidly – which they did, with a little help from Goldman Sachs. The average age to maturity (ie the due date) of Greek debt was 3 years AND it was horrifically expensive debt. The UK’s was – and probably still is, despite moronic slash-and-burn economics by George Osborne – 13 years at just 3%. It was totally manageable but gullible British voters bought into the lie that we were in the same state as Greece. That was never the case, and never a risk.

(Have your tears for the ordinary people of Greece who paid the price, not for Greek politicians or their shipping magnates, who control ONE-THIRD of all world shipping yet contribute bugger all to the economy.)

Also, comparing a credit card to national debt is like comparing a Model T Ford to the space shuttle.

Anonymous @

@pedant

Thank you very much for that lesson Mr P. I had an idea that the debt ceiling was different to the national debt which combines everyones personal debt. And then there’s panic on the television commercial stations which are all owned by the guy who runs the newspapers, I think. I had an idea about Greece (where it is) but I didn’t know anything about its debt and how the people in power dealt with it -badly. Mum had a friend who used to visit Greece every year after her Greek husband died. To buy two steaks was about $25 in 1998. In Greece! The home of lamb and olives. Terrible.

I think with credit card debt that this is a personal issue which is something we learn about at school? We’re told to save 10% for a rainy fund. I think that’s good. I don’t spend much money. I don’t like furniture or clothes or silly expensive soccer shoes. I have one collared shirt for going ‘out’ in and my mates always laugh. They wear shirts which are 100 bucks (that’s cheap) and some of them buy shirts that are 600 bucks. And they grow out of them anyway.

I’ve realised there are a lot of crazy people and not all of them live in this house.

Anonymous @

inflation. I learnt about that last year. We’re supposed to be learning about German inflation during the second world war but I have a bad feeling that for some weird reason that we don’t do history in year 10 this year? Which means I might never study it again. I only learnt where Papua NG was last year. That is real bad.

No that won’t happen. I have to take either Ancient or Modern history or I’ll end up living in the garage 🙂

My poor IQ is lowering the average on the site. I better wander off. 🙂

Missy @missy

Missy

AlexWho @alexwho

@thane15

Sad time in America for sure, even if many Americans don’t realize it.

I can understand voting for Trump b/c we had two bad choices but I can’t grasp how so many people can drink this guy’s cool aid. A man who’s never done anything for anybody (not named Trump) promises to Make America Great Again and millions of people buy his hats and cheer him on.

I honestly think I’m the only US Marine (2003-11) who voted for Hillary.

ichabod @ichabod

@alexwho  Maybe you’re not the only one . . . at any rate, I hope you’re not.  If things get too crazy around here, we could be looking at a military coup, just to keep the demented man-baby from nuking somebody across the world (or on the West coast, who knows).

A colleague who writes historical novels says the Imperial US is roughly paralleling the Roman Empire, the way empires tend to do.  I asked her which emperor Trump is.  She said, Tiberius, but I don’t agree.  He apparently had some sensible ideas and implemented them too, and he didn’t really turn into a blood-thirsty tyrant until late in his reign, didn’t he?  Of course, this *is* Trump late in his *life*, so . . .

I think maybe Nero: flamboyant performer beloved by the people, detached from reality, blood-thirsty streak (but which of them *didn’t* have that?  Asking seriously; I couldn’t say).

Missy @missy

@thane15

Delighted thst someone cares about grammar. It seems to be on-existant nowadays, especially with TV presenters.

@ichabod

From what I have seen, he resembls Hitler. The time for empires has ended.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  Oh, I don’t think so; Hitler meant to build an empire spanning Europe and Asia, the Third Reich.  He was prevented.  Trump will fumble it so badly that I don’t think there will be a US empire, at least not in the near future.  The Pax Americana will be a joke in his hands, and what else does the US have to offer anyone swearing fealty to us?  Intentionally or not, Trump will crash our economy, so wealth will not be an answer any more.  The world economy will move on with the US staggering along falling increasingly behind like a college drunk wandering around on his hands  and knees.

I hope to be gone by then.  On the other hand, I also hope to be proven wrong.

janetteB @janetteb

@ichabod my knowledge of ancient Roman emperors is mostly derived from I Claudius, (and the wonderful first Doctor story, The Romans) but I would agree, Trump is more a Nero than a Tiberius.

Cheers

Janette

MissRori @missrori

(sigh)  I really wish, right now, that I could find something to distract myself with.  There isn’t much I can do about the way things have been going of late, but it’s hard not to focus on it either.  But there’s been no fresh Who-news in a while, and none of this year’s big movies are exciting me…  :/  Is there any major good news out there in the world?

@alexwho

b/c we had two bad choices

You need to stop this meme. The choice was between and out-and-proud fascist and by far the  best qualified candidate for the job in at least 50 years (who got more votes than any other candidate ever, except Obama).

Anonymous @

@alexwho @pedant

Mum is thinking the same Mr P. No-ones slanging you off Mr Who! I think that it was all very weird having Trump in the W.H. Clinton was amazing. I was SO surprised.

It seems that your PM, Mr P, is happy not to cancel the State Visit -or what they had on the movie Love Actually (mum told me to add that. She knows that whilst she ADORES that film, you don’t 🙂 ).

Anyway,  I guess PM May had to keep it going? Maybe  not though. Not sure.

I have an injury. First day of flippin training and my mate stamps on my foot and sprains it.

I am thinking of that line from Sherlock: “it’s not broken it’s sprained. I’m a doctor, I know how to sprain people.”

I never know what a ‘meme’ is? Is it a concept? Or an idea. Is it internet based only?

Anonymous @

@alexwho

Mum (old Puro) and me thank you for your service in the US Marines.

Thanking you.

Thane15 (hobbling off to school!)

🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@ichabod  @janetteb

The geopolitical, economic  and social differences between the USA and the Roman empire at any stage of its growth and decline are so great that I don’t think comparisons are valid – except in the sense that empires all tend eventually to overreach themselves and decline; and the Roman empire lasted longer than most.  As for emperors, Trump may have delusions of grandeur and fancy himself in that role, but he certainly doesn’t resemble Tiberius, and the only real point of similarity with Nero is the narcissism.

The principal surviving sources of information on the Julio-Claudian emperors are Suetonius and Tacitus.  Suetonius was chief secretary in the administration of Hadrian, so had the run of the imperial archives, and his potted lives of the Caesars from Julius to Domitian are vivid and full of incidental detail, but he was completely uncritical in the use of his sources and it is difficult sometimes to know how much is documented fact and how much hearsay.  Tacitus was writing in the reign of Trajan, having spent most of his political career in the reign of the truly horrible Domitian, and that experience may have coloured his interpretation of previous emperors, especially Tiberius, though he was much more scholarly in his approach and his weighing of the evidence.

Tiberius was thoroughly prepared for the role, though he seems not to have enjoyed it much.  As the son of Livia and stepson – ultimately adopted son – of Augustus, he grew up close to the centre of power and followed the normal career of a Roman aristocrat with political ambition – the ascending sequence of magistracies in the cursus honorum , a provincial governorship, and reasonable success as a general in the army.  He seems to have been an able administrator but authoritarian and not much good at dealing with people on a personal level; he was dour, possibly depressive, with a reputation for being somewhat puritanical and penny-pinching, and he disliked and distrusted flattery; nor did he care much about what people said about him;  so not like Trump.  He eventually left Rome and retreated to his villa on Capri, leaving most of the day to day business to Sejanus until Sejanus overreached himself, but it is difficult to know how much reliance to place on Suetonius’s salacious accounts of his depravity in later life.  The general opinion seems to be that he was kept in check by his mother until her death, after which he was free to indulge his vices.

Nero comes across as a bit of a spoiled brat, but he had been groomed for the position of emperor by his formidable mother, Agrippina, and his tutors.  He succeeded Claudius, his mother’s husband/uncle at the age of 17 and seems to have made a good impression at first, though that may have been his mother’s influence.  Contrary to the legend, he was not responsible for the great fire in Rome, and in fact took measures to help those made homeless, but he did take the opportunity to seize the land for his extravagant palace, his Golden House – think a horizontal version of Trump Tower, but with rather more tasteful bling.  Once he had thrown off the maternal shackles for good by having Agrippina murdered he does seem to have gone off the rails completely, but his narcissism expressed itself chiefly in his artistic pretensions.  He fancied himself as a great musician, singer and poet, and took to entering competitions – guess who won!  But this did not go down well with the Roman elite.  A poetry recital among a select audience was one thing, but performance on the public stage, in competition, was far too Greek and effete, and not at all befitting to a Roman of any status.

There were, of course, several other truly appalling Roman emperors. though the worst tended to be ousted or to fall to assassins sooner or later, but I can’t think of any who are an exact parallels to Hair Twitler.

On reflection this is probably taking the whole idea too literally, and amounts to a good deal more than anyone wants to know, so my apologies. But having written it I will let it stand.  If we pay attention, we can learn from history, but the parallels are never exact.

Mudlark @mudlark

@pedant

Trump looks like a fascist, quacks like a fascist and goosesteps like a fascist and his instincts are certainly populist and authoritarian, but I doubt whether he has a coherent political idea in his head.  All he is concerned about is Trump, his business interests and whatever feeds his narcissistic ego.  It is significant that the countries whose citizens have been barred from entering the US do not include those in which he has business interests, such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt –  from which all but one of the 9/11 terrorists came.

The one to watch is his eminence grise and manipulator, the true fascist Bannon, who is on record as saying he wants to destroy the State and who is the principal author of those executive orders which are being drafted without consultation or regard to constitutional procedure, and which Trump gets the publicity for signing.  So far everything appears to be going to his plan, and even faster than I expected at my most pessimistic.

Frankly, I can’t remember ever feeling so frightened by external events, though I can’t speak for the Cuban missile crisis because I was seriously ill in hospital at the time, and unaware of it until the crisis had passed.  Maybe governments in the UK and the rest of Europe are alert to what is going on, but I don ‘t feel particularly hopeful.

janetteB @janetteb

@mudlark Thank you for expanding on that. As I said my knowledge of Roman history is mainly derived from I Claudius. (I have read up on Roman military tactics but my interest tends to focus on either before or after the Roman empire.) It sounds as though the depiction of Nero in The Romans is not utterly and entirely inaccurate then though it is very “Carry on Romans” in style.

AT one stage comparisons between the U.S and Roman Empire were common. I think there were persons in power or aspiring to be in power who had aspirations for the U.S. to become a great empire in the Roman model. (Thinking Bush and his cronies.) I don’t think Trump is so interested in expansion. He is looking inward. The rest of the world doesn’t matter as long as they do as they are told and don’t interfere with his grand plans and to provide convenient “bad guys” for the purposes of the propaganda war he is waging on his own people.

cheers

Janette

lisa @lisa

@mudlark

http://prospect.org/article/impeachment-or-impairment-inevitability-trump%E2%80%99s-removal

http://www.palmerreport.com/news/insider-reince-priebus-and-mike-pence-suspect-donald-trump-being-blackmailed-by-putin/1251/

Like I’ve said in a previous post Dump has ‘handlers’ .   They are the ones that want him as their front man.

My hunch is that our intelligence agencies are working towards taking Dump out.  In which case I will

probably quit the Calexit movement although we will still have lots of crazies in power in DC so its still an

open question for me.  In any case for me the fundamental question is if we can restore decentralized power

to states whether they are European or American so  common sense can be at least locally restored..

On the Roman comparisons I believe a lot can always be learned from history however it still doesn’t

change the same failures repeating over again does it?

@mudlark

Yes, Bannon is the power behind the tastlessly blinged-out throne. But Trump’s background strongly suggests he is the real deal as well (daddy in the KKK). But there are many fellow travellers (and I do wonder what it would take to get the federal judges to send in the US Marshals and give CBP oppos the choice of obeying the law or going to jal for contempt of court).

Still think it’s early days?

Anonymous @

@pedant  @mudlark

@lisa   No, I don’t think so.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: please listen. The CIA (what you call ‘intelligence’) is not attempting to take Trump out. The State Dept = political ‘wing’ of the CIA. The FBI = no interest in “taking out the Dump” either.

Regardless of your links lisa.

(Puro)

lisa @lisa

@thane15                   aka Puro

This is not about me!

Even the Conservative Review is posting a piece about whether the republicans and Pence

are going to throw Dump “under the bus” .  Their words!  The people that work in my local Congressman’s

office are always in touch with Congressman Bera and he said he’s heard some extraordinary stuff.

Now they are delaying all of Dumps cabinet nominations in the Senate.

There seems to be growing dissent even in DC and  I have no idea if it will amount to anything.

The CIA isn’t the only agency that could want to nail him.

Dump just fired the US attorney general from the Justice Dept. tonight cause she tried to

block his travel ban.  There are lots of agencies that want to nail him now.

The Environmental Protection Agency, the Dept. of education  on down.

But you could be right.

Still  I can assure you that all the intelligence folks and all the other departments have got it in for him.

Anonymous @

@lisa

Still  I can assure you that all the intelligence folks and all the other departments have got it in for him.

This would work if you worked for intelligence.

But you don’t.

I might add that the “education dept on down” aren’t intelligence either.

Anyway, I’m hijacking Thane’s account -in one way. Still, if he knew this he’d debate/dispute. It’s a family thing. 😉

Kindest,

Puro (and best wishes. I imagine it’s very difficult in the States on rather many levels)

Ringleader @ringleader

I wanted to share my contribution to the great John Hurt, who ended up becoming the “Doctor during the Time War” (as opposed to the “War Doctor” or “The Warrior”). While the quote more properly should be attributed to Steven Moffat and the writing staff of The Day of the Doctor, it should be fitting to a man of John Hurt’s memory to be associated with it.

Ode to John Hurt Forged in Fire

Missy @missy

@ringleader;

Nice one.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@mudlark   Thanks for the Roman rundown; and of course no exact parallels are expected.  But we certainly have the “bread and circuses”, and the foreign military adventuring (although we’re massively worse at that than Rome was, seems to me) . . . with other major powers active around the globe (China, India, and now Russia), the basic situation looks very different to me.  I do keep thinking, though, that the US has in fact nurtured its own barbarians right here within our borders, and I’m not talking about immigrants but well-armed, racist primitives who are Bannon’s natural troops.  It makes a weird sort of sense that we could go from a representative Republic to a shrinking empire dominated by megalomaniacs and exploded by internal warfare in a mere 250 yrs or so, while Rome took its time about its own dissolution . . .

But that’s what happens with a science fiction brain: we live and breathe wild-eyed speculation.  And then reality comes and overwhelms our puny efforts . . . All of us here are scared too; very, very scared.  Which reminds me — if you can find it on TV, “The Young Pope” is an interesting exercise in (I think) Reactionary savagery triumphant, + nuance in a religious setting.

@lisa   The possibility of shifting away from Washington and toward states’ powers to resist central power has been part of the flexibility of the US, though I think that that shift now is more likely to bring us to the brink of — and maybe over — open civil war than unite us in resisting the Lords of Misrule.  But in any case, it’s pretty obvious that *something* has got to give.  The first real battle will be against whatever Reactionary martinet Trump nominates t the Supreme Court — is there such a thing as a permanent filibuster?  It’s being discussed, I hear; for what that’s worth.

@pedant  No, it’s not early days; we got yanked right into the deep end of the pool, and filthy, stinking pool it is proving to be.

@thane15  Puricle, godsakes baby that ankle a bit, will you?  I used to sprain mine regularly, toughened them up by lots of walking as exercise, but the right one has developed its very own localized arthritis anyway.

@ringleader  I like it.  And maybe “the Wartime Doctor” would be better than “The War Doctor”?

MissRori @missrori

(sniff)  I’ve had a bad day…not just because of the news about the Twelfth Doctor’s final season, either.  I still can’t find anyone in the “real world” who thinks as I do about the way things are going of late, who feels horror and sorrow.  They just think I’ve let online liberals get to me, saying without words that I’m dumb and gullible.  I don’t know what to do anymore….

Anonymous @

@missrori

It’s Thane here. Look, I agree. It’s different in Australia. This is a deeply conservative country with our ocker accents and our “how you doin’ mate?” stuff but we do agree that racism is bad and anti-women attitudes are awful.

Mum was getting depressed reading below the line -the Meryl Streep speech which she thought was great had 1000s of haters who crapped on about that c*** Hillary. So as @pedant said, I think, it’s a deep seated organised  pro-fascist ‘thing’ on the internet and so reading any of that stuff is poison and may make you feel totally miserable.

Some man once said to me that people who strike out will say things like this: “you’re gullible! and why do you let people walk all over you? or you’re ignorant!” and really they’re saying this about themselves. It’s self-reflective.

Mum is fond of this phrase: “I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again” but she’s right: YOU HAVE US.

Really, when the world is so shallow there’s no room for a gene pool, come here. This is  a smart, kind place. Also the music thread will really blow your mind as some of the music comes from the 70s and 90s when punk attitudes spoke to us (well, Mum) for the first time.

Also, maybe remember that the Doctor (as Peter C) also marched against racism and President Trump.

Anyway, if you want to …you know…chat there’s a PM function which can work well.

You don’t sound too happy right now. We need @whisht to find a good song to make you feel a  little better

You’re not stupid missrori, I’ve read your words on this page and on the doctor ep threads. You’re not gullible or “dumb.”

These other people are fools. You’re not!

From Thane15 and his old mum!

Anonymous @

@ichabod thank you miss. I will baby the ankle! I didn’t know what you meant there. It was my mate who was being…a bit silly -not his fault. Just circumstances or a circus.

MissRori @missrori

@thane15 (hugs)  Thank you, all of you.

Mudlark @mudlark

@pedant

Trump’s background strongly suggests he is the real deal as well (daddy in the KKK)

I don’t dispute that.  Given that background and his default assumptions, fascism is his natural home, but I don’t think that is what drives him.  I doubt if he has the intelligence, and he certainly doesn’t have the focus or attention span to formulate a coherent political theory or strategy; one cannot imagine him writing the equivalent of Mein Kampf,  for example, though he might be happy enough for something of the kind to be published under his name.

What matters most to him is winning and being seen to win, and having his self esteem validated, and on that score, anyone with an ounce of objectivity who saw his interview on ABC and/or read the transcript must find it difficult to avoid the conclusion that he is delusional – deranged, even.

It is this combination of characteristics which makes him such an ideal tool for those who do have a fascist political agenda.  Earlier today I came across an article about Bannon in Vanity Fair from last August which quoted him as saying, ‘Trump is a blunt instrument for us. I don’t know whether he gets it or not’.  But Trump is erratic and wilful, with the attention span of a gnat, so Bannon and his like may not be able to control him as well as they would like. I gather that the Koch brothers may already be starting to have second thoughts.

I just wish that more politicians her in the UK and in Washington DC would stop pretending that this situation was in any way ‘business as usual’. It is beginning to look ominously like a replay of the 1930s, though then they did not have the benefit of hindsight.

Mudlark @mudlark

@missrori

May I add my voice to those who have already offered their support. Be assured that we have your back and you are not alone.

I am lucky in that my family and my friends on both sides of the Atlantic pond are more or less in accord with my views on political developments, but I can empathise nevertheless with those such as yourself who are not so fortunate.  It is depressing enough just reading comments on news sites and elsewhere on the internet, and realising, even allowing for the numerous trolls,  how many there are who approve of what is happening.

As a historian as well as an archaeologist, and as someone who was born during the second World War, I have long understood in theory how fascism took hold in Europe in the 1920s and 30s, but this brings it home in a visceral way. Now, though, we have the benefit of hindsight and, however noisy the opposition, I think that we are still in the majority.  So, even if all we can do is stand up and be counted, we should not yield to despondency.

AlexWho @alexwho

@pedant @thane15

No I wouldn’t think anyone here is slanging me. This forum is really filled with thoughtful people who can write and disagree in peace.

But theres too much about Hillary I didn’t like. Oh well, a vote for her is still a vote for her and saying No to the utter insanity that Trump represents. Really wish Bernie Sanders could’ve been the nominee or Obama somehow stuck around for a third term. I feel people will miss his calm dignity in doing a very difficult job with the mess that George W Bush left him to inherit. And along with the disgraceful “birtherism” BS that people were spreading about him, he handled himself with incredible class.

On a happier note, I watched The Robots of Death last night. Although not as strong as the previous Face of Evil, its still a good story. A nice mixture of Dune, Issac Asimov, and a little Agatha Christie. I’m a big fan of Leela. I think it’d be great to have a companion like her again.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,004 total)

The topic ‘The Maldovarium’ is closed to new replies.