The Winchester

Home Forums General The Winchester

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  nerys 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

While I was away the old pub went way over its usable post limit so I’ve started a new one.

Welcome to The Winchester, favourite haunt of Shaun and Ed in ‘Shaun of the Dead.’ The Winchester was filmed in a South London pub, but it happens to be based on a pub, now called The Boogaloo, that I live nearby in North London. It’s a favourite haunt of musicians, actors and other performing artists.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were regulars at what was then called The Shepherds. For ‘Shaun of the Dead’ they changed the name to The Winchester (which was also a pub nearby – but is now homes) just so they could eventually arm Shaun with a gun to fight the zombies.

This is somewhere for real life, non-Doctor chat including news, politics, sport etc. Basically a place of a more adult nature. Those who don’t want that, please avoid.

The drunken ramblings from the last pub can be found here:

The kebab & Calculator

The Winchester

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

And, of course, The Winchester Club, Ar’fur Daley’s favourite refuge from ‘er indoors.

winston @winston

@craig  Cheers!

winston @winston

Happy or should I say spooky Halloween to all who celebrate. We had only 7 little trick or treaters so they got lots of goodies. Best of all there are a lot of candy bars left over! We had a fairy, spiderman, Ilsa , Black Panther, someone called the marshmallow DJ? and a really cute little ghostbuster. I dressed up in all my Doctor Who clothes.I was a sad Who fan, sad because I have to wait to watch the new series. Chocolate should help.

Hope nobody runs into any ghosts , unless they want to of course.

Stay safe

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@winston Your Halloween sounds great. The first year we arrived in Canada, on Halloween the very first arrival at our door was a tiny child, perhaps 14-15 months, but who could stand by herself, while here proud parents stood a few steps back. She had on this amazing costume, which was a huge round, white frilly dress, and a cap that was shaped like a candle. Mrs. Blenkinsop said: “You are gorgeous! Who are you dressed as?” And this tiny voice replied: “Cupcake”.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave     I love the little ones in their costumes! Spiderman was so shy he clutched his goodie bag and hid behind his Mom. Too cute.

janetteB @janetteb

Those who were offended by Capaldi’s guitar playing in Dr Who will not welcome this news but  I am sure that most of us will look out for it. 🙂 He always comes across as such a likeable person in articles and interviews and I am hoping to see some samples from this appear in the Music thread.

Cheers

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

Hi Hope none of our Canuk friends have been adversely efffected by the flooding in Canada

We are currently on holiday, a couple of days down at the coast so will be catching up on discussion when I get home tomorrow or Sunday.

Cheers

Janette

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@janetteb The Blenkinsop household is surviving, although the fact that highways have been swept away by the floods has led to supply chain issues (petrol and food are in scarce supply in many places). If the supply of jelly babies and jammy dodgers dries up, however, that’s when we know were are in real trouble.

winston @winston

@janetteb   I am far away but the disaster in parts of British Columbia is devastating for an area that  suffered drought and heat all summer. Sadly 3 people are dead with more missing and thousands of farm animals have died with more in danger, no idea how many wild animals have died but I expect thousands also.

The army is there to help rescue stranded and flooded people and many are helping their neighbours but already there are fuel and food shortages. My daughter who lives there escaped the disaster but is worried about more shortages and higher prices and is grieving for her province.

I will state what is obvious to most people- These are weather extremes caused by climate change caused by us. Time to change our ways.

Have fun on your holiday!

stay safe

janetteB @janetteb

@winston Unfortunately it seems that extreme weather events resulting in massive damage to humans and infrastructure, costing businesses and governments is what it is going to take for those with the power and money to actually start to act. Of course by the time governments and businesses accept the need to change massive harm is going to have been done to the natural world, to vulnerable nations like those in the Pacific, and to vulnerable people which is in fact all of us.

We are back from our holiday now. It was so nice to get away even though the weather was not favourable and it was “schoolies” weekend. Actually the kids were all so quiet and well behaved that was not a problem.  The drive was lovely. The countryside is so green at the moment, not usual for this time of year. The colours were so vibrant with the freshly cut golden hay contrasted with the verdant spring grass. I saw some ‘roos grazing in a paddock on the way home which made me very happy. I think even a mini break is good for restoring one’s sense of perspective.

Cheers

Janette

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

@janetteb   I loved Capaldi’s entrance in Magician’s Apprentice – could *anything* be more anachronistic than the Doctor riding in on a tank, blasting out chords on an electric guitar?    (Somehow, Tennant or Smith doing the same just wouldn’t have had the same impact).    I’ll be interested to hear some of his music.

nerys @nerys

@winston I have been alarmed as I watch this disaster unfolding out west. I’m glad that you are safe. British Columbia is experiencing many of the extreme weather events happening in California, and that is disturbing. It shows the massive reach of climate change and how really, no area is left untouched.

But it seems the farther north we go, the more massive the impact. As Earth’s polar ice caps melt, climate change escalates … and that’s not a good thing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.